Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NF7-S or 8RDA3+ ?

Originally posted by pc ice
    must be ram voltages and then 2.4v is to low...... and 3.0v would be about right for overclocking....

my ram is at 3.2 when over 250
    Thank you pc ice!
    Last edited by Osbornnoe; 07-07-2003 at 06:47 AM.
    The Wino and I Know....Buffett

Xtreme Member
    I just spent this last week trying out 2 8RDA3+ v1.1s and I have to say that I'm very disappointed. The best I could do was 225FSB, no matter what vdd voltage or memory I used. I also noticed that on the 8RDA3+, the CPU needed about .5v more than the 8RDA+ needed with the same FSB/MHz. On top of that, HD RAID performance was slower than my NF7-S v2, 52K on Epox and 58K on Abit, even tho they both use the same controller I guess I'll keep my NF7-S v2 and 8RDA+ for a little while longer,

Calcu
    New PC just built, specs coming

Originally posted by Calcu
    I just spent this last week trying out 2 8RDA3+ v1.1s and I have to say that I'm very disappointed. The best I could do was 225FSB, no matter what vdd voltage or memory I used. I also noticed that on the 8RDA3+, the CPU needed about .5v more than the 8RDA+ needed with the same FSB/MHz. On top of that, HD RAID performance was slower than my NF7-S v2, 52K on Epox and 58K on Abit, even tho they both use the same controller I guess I'll keep my NF7-S v2 and 8RDA+ for a little while longer,

Calcu
    The fact you could hit 225 FSB is no mean feat !!

Given a lot of users myself included could'nt even hit 200 stable even with 2.0v vdd !!
    He who asks is a fool for 15 minutes, he who does'nt remains a fool forever.

I agree, 225 is a wholesome overclock.

Just cuz board A does better than board B. Doesnt mean board B sucks. If everyones board B was lousy, then you throw the stone. You may just have good silicon on board A, or board B's silicon may not be the best in the yield. It does what Epox said it would didnt it?

Now if they said it could hit 250, and it didnt. I say gimme a rock.
    Sigs are for wussies.

Xtreme Member
    True that it's a pretty good O/C, but when the 2 other boards I have can do 240FSB, 225FSB doesn't look as good anymore,

Calcu
    New PC just built, specs coming

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i don't think epox sucks at all!
    mine did 227 out of the box and 233 after the vdd mod.
    i'm getting an abit sometime this week!
    i hope that it can keep up with the epox tho

Xtreme Member
    elisha from oca? ahhh yea it is you..you have a 8rda.... gl with the nf7
    Last edited by corbec; 07-08-2003 at 10:17 PM.

How about trying the Soltek FRN2-R / FRN2-RL ? Pretty good overclockers out the box and well priced. Currently running at 225x10.5 here with 1.7vdd / xp2600 / 2x512mb KingMAX PC3200.
    Regards,

ALan

Xtreme Addict
    225 on kingmax is damn impressive. Cheap too. I was under the impression they werent all that. Think you got lucky. Smooth though. Congrats

Notice how I didnt mention the timings I use to get there though They need a cas of 3 to run over 205mhz though...

So that means my bandwidth is low for the fsb speed :

3.3gb / sec int - 3.05gb / float

Still very good motherboards
    Regards,

ALan

Soltek and Albatron are 2 manufacturers Id like to dip into eventually, if I have money burning a hole in my pocket.

Also, where did these Lan Party mobos come from? Did anybody see that comming? I hope it catches on in the mainstream market, Im a fan of UV'ness, I use it alot. Id love a UV Epox (prob not) or Abit (Maybe) board.
    Sigs are for wussies.

I've had 4 pc motherboards so far, 3 soltek ones - DRV2, DRV5 and my current FRN2-RL, and one Epox - 8RDA+ rev1.0.

I have to say that the Soltek boards have been much more stable than the Epox was, even with Via's drivers on the older chipsets , so I'm glad I went back to them with the FRN2-RL.
    Regards,

ALan

I am Xtreme
    259 FSB!!!! now that's a nice OC!
    What multi r u using?
    Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | FX 8350 | 2x4GB Trident-X 2600 C10 | 2x ATI HD5870 Crossfire | Enermax Revo 1050watt | OCZ Vertex 3 60GB | Samsung F1 1TB

Watercooling: XSPC Raystorm | EK 5870 Delrin fullcover | TFC X-changer 480 w/ 4x Gentle Typhoon | DDC2+ Delrin top | EK 200mm res | Primochill LRT 3/8 tubing

Case: Murdermodded TJ-07

sub 9 sec. SPi1M 940BE 955BE 965BE 1090T

Xtreme Member
    my 8rga+ is runnning nice right now fully stable at 219 fsb so i don't kno why yall §§§§§en about epox it does wat it is made to do and for the people that have had luck wit the abit board i notice don't keep there board oc that high just for testing so say wat u want about epox but this is my 4th epox board and i loved them alll
    DFI Lan Party Ultra B
    Athlon Xp 2500 unlocked
    BBATI Radeon 9800 xt 450/400
    2x OCZ PC3500 Platinum Limited Edition Bh-5
    SLK900-U & 120mm 200CFM fan
    80GB 8MB WD JB800
    Lite-On Dual Format 4x DVDRW
    Lite-On 48x24x48 CDRW drive
    Kingwin KT-436 Blue with 3 blue tinted windows
    TTGI 420w psu
    KDS 19" Flatscreen Avitron
    Logitech Mouse & Keyboard
    FujiFilm 3.2mp 6x opt zoom
    Klipsch 4.1 speaker system

www.OverclockersHQ.com
    3dmark score

Xtreme Addict
    I like the vdd adjustment of abit right off the bat. Now epox has it too... and you have had too with your G.

I was waiting for a good nf2 for awhile and jumped a bit too early when the v1.2 abit came out. Wish I had a 2. I personally didnt understand why ppl were getting 8rda+'s and modding them to the max and proclaiming best thing since sliced bread. No vdd + passive nb cooler makes it not OC friendly out of the box to me for a nf2. Nothing against your board as I eyed the 8rga for the vdd. Well, like I said, I bit early and got 198 out of the box. I learned a few things so whatever. The 8rda3+, well... I dont many that have anything against it, just there's been a big leap in the nf2 as a whole. The Abit v2 being the first to the super sweet party, might have kind of spoiled it for epox.
    Last edited by texuspete00; 07-12-2003 at 03:27 PM.

A friend of mine bought an 8RGA+ and found that it did not overclocked well when using the on board GFX and when he dumped his 9700pro in was poor compared to his unmoded 8RDA+, it was just as well he was using that board as a 2nd rig.

The only EPoX nf2 board I would consider atm would be the 8RDA+ rev 2.x, but their prices are quite high @ £90 (~ $140).
    Last edited by Pita^Norf; 07-12-2003 at 03:37 PM.
    He who asks is a fool for 15 minutes, he who does'nt remains a fool forever.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    didnt that board just die on you?

bad nb cooling?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    you sure it died in only 30min because of water under the pins? :o

damn im gonna be really carefull with the pelts on my vid card then...

yeah that 8rda was clocking nice wasnt it? too bad man wish you good luck with your rma!

Xtreme X.I.P.
    i dont only have one i have 6! all 30W though, but that should be enaff for my vid card (4200) imma put one tec on each memory pair and maybe 2 pelts on the gpu...

i still dont know how to power those pelts. they are rated at 8.5v some people say i should run them at 12v, some say theyll smoke inmediately :/

i think ill run them on the 5v line, should be enough for the memory anyways... i just hope they dont pull too much amps, the psu ill run them with has a max of 22A on the 5v line, thats 4A for each, hope thats enaff :/

imma go get the copper cold plates in 2 or 3 hours... hope the shop is open on saturday at all wish me luck man

how do i calculate the pelt power again?
    28W@8V=4.5A?
    so theyll draw more A on the 5v line?
    5Vx5A=25W? ...does that sound right?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    you mean some resistor trick? so i bassically mix the 12 an 5 line? do you know how to do that? any links to people that know about it?
    maybe ill ask those pc power and cooling peops...

thx. heading for the copper shop right now

Xtreme X.I.P.
    lol

each line has its own ground line afaik, and i remember somebody telling me that i could use the ground line of the one and the volt line of the toher... something like +5v and then the ground line of the 3.3v =8.3v?

do you think bowman knows about it? or maybe sys? ill pm them.

thx if you really wanna try it out itd be cool hehe

wait... i think it was like that: use the 12V line and the black return line of the 5V line! 12-5=8 ... but im not sure if it works... and i dont know how you could try it out if you dont have a pelt...

i only really need 4 pelts and i have 6, so i can try 2 combinations and kill 2 pelts ... perfect

hmmm ill use the 5v line only i think. i only have 16A max on the 12v line and 22A on the 5v.... plus they tecs are still powerfull enough with less volts...
    Last edited by saaya; 07-13-2003 at 04:15 PM.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    ist just 28W tecs.. thats about enough to cool a stick of system memory i think... or your soundcard maybe ^^

dont u live in the us? pelts are really cheap over there, a 80W pelt is like 20-30$, here its like 50€ :/

LOL just checked ebay, theres one guy here in germany selling a 120W tec for 16€!
    Last edited by saaya; 07-13-2003 at 05:41 PM.

Exclamation

I have used the Epox 8RDA and the NF7 Rev2 board. The NF7 board was a big hassle. I kept have bios corruption problems and it was hell getting it up and running again, I finally RMA'd it. The Epox board was a great board, however I was not able to get as high of fsb on it without doing a volt mod. So for my next board I am going to try the 8RDA3.

The Rev2 Abit board still has the bios corruption problem. Otherwise I would have been very happy with that board.
    AMD 2500-Mobile (12.5x200) DFI Lanparty Ultra B Rev. A, Geoforce3 ti200, 1 GB Geil UltraX pc4400. Cooling = Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu on cpu, default cooling for vid card and elsewhere. Fortron Blue Storm PSU.

Xtreme Addict
    I haven't posted in a while, just got done with moving out of state from IL to MO. I got my EPoX EP-8RDA+ rev 1.1 just before the move and I couldn't be happier. I am now running 200x11.5 for 24/7 use (something my NF7 could never do). I was quite happy with my two previous Abit boards (KD7-E and NF7), but I had used many Epox boards before tham and am very happy I switched back to Epox. Both companies make fantastic boards and we all know there is that "luck of the draw" when purchasing any piece of hardware, I just know Epox has never let me down.
    Cursed be the ground for our sake. Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for us. For out of the ground we are taken for the dust we are and to the dust we shall return
    Heat

Banned
    8RDA's really suck IMOHO.... But thats just my opinion.

NF7-S 2.0 really rocks.....

PC Ice's 2100 is revived......... Your Welcome PC Ice

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast