Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: NF7-S or 8RDA3+ ?

Xtreme Member

NF7-S or 8RDA3+ ?

hmm....

nf7 gets good overclocks so does 8rda3...230 mhz and mem. was bottleneck
    8rda3 has vdd up to 2v so no need for the modd
    nf7 has a better NB cooling but all you have to do is get a iceburg for the NB on the 8rda3
    8rda3 has overall more options in the BIOS, and its a lil cheaper and its newer
    and best of all, theres no ยงยงยงยงing bios problems!
    but i dunno what to get lol

help...i wont be making a decision until 8/9 since theres no point in having the mobo for 5 days, going to camp and getting back when all this new ยงยงยงยงs come out

Xtreme Addict
    i'd get the NF7-S. then again, the 2v VDD is tempting.

Xtreme Member

Don't even waste your money on an Epox ...

always stay w/a winner, not a weiner. Don't care if there's 2.5v for it. Stay w/a proven winner. The last Epox nForce2 board I set up wouldn't take a Ti4200. Imagine that. A nVIDIA chipset not working w/a nVIDIA display adapter. LOL That's a new one, even for me. Just my 2sense.

NF7-S v2.0 (BIOS1.9)
    XP2100+ (@11.5x218)
    (2)Corsair XMS3500 (2x512)
    (2)Maxtor 80g 7200rpm 8m cache SATA's
    ATI RAdeon 9500Pro(soft-mod 9700Pro)
    SB Audigy X-Gamer
    Sony 52x24x52 CD/RW
    TTGI 520w PSU
    Logitech MX-500
    XP Pro SP~1a | DX9.0b

I really dont know, Im actually in the same situation atm.

But right now Im more to the Abit one....
    /Steffan
    A7N8X dlx|1700+ JIUHB DLT 0310XMPW@2518 (209x12)|WC cooled by Maze 2|1x512 PC3500 OCZ EL|Antec cabi with 3x80mm fans @5V and 430W TP PSU

Xtreme 3D Mark Team Staff
    Epox.

after a week now with a NF7 that died 2 minutes after post, cause of Bios corruption I won't be touching these boards again.

"The command and conquer model," said the EA CEO, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

Xtreme Member
    The BIOS corruption problem has been fixed once and for all with the advent of the Rev. 2.0 boards, which also bring official support of 400 FSB.

Also a bad memory is the recurring SATA corruption problem, this was fixed two BIOS releases ago.

And that brings up one of the best reasons for going with the Abit: Abit continues to support their boards with BIOS releases. And they don't wait for big problems to come along for a BIOS release, they are continually working to make the boards better.
    AMD Athon64 X2 4800+
    ASUS A8N-SLI-Premium
    2 GB PC3200 Corsair XMS cs2
    2X eVga 7800GTX KO SLI
    Disc0=74GB WD SATA Raptor, Disc1=250GB WD SATA, Disc2=120GB WD ATA
    PC Power & Cooling TurboCool 510 SLI PSU
    Windows XP Professional 64 Bit
    Spare Cycles Wanted:
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

NF7-S, the Epox doesn't even have MCP-T southbridge.

Xtreme Member
    Originally posted by nelamvr6
    The BIOS corruption problem has been fixed once and for all with the advent of the Rev. 2.0 boards, which also bring official support of 400 FSB.

Also a bad memory is the recurring SATA corruption problem, this was fixed two BIOS releases ago.
    NO YOU STUPID ยงยงยงยง! (excuse my language) the BIOS curruption is NOT fixed. Explain why my friend over at OCA w/ his prommie has had his BIOS get corrupted 2 times? hes just about had it with his nf7-s. review on nf7-s v2 from newegg...
    "Well, my first board died, but was really fast. then, got my second one, and yep, you guessed it, that one died too. i know its from the bios problem, but i don't care. i'm going epox. abit sucks."

and i dont care about sata i have a 60gig ata133 hardrive with 10gigs used. i put all my pics and music i dont listen to much on cds...more free space=faster computer...

and i have a sound card so better onboard sound i could care less.

michel...im sure that was a fluke...maybe you didnt do something right or maybe the mobo was 4x agp only and that was 8x agp...

im leaning towards the 8RDA3+ since it is the successor to the very popular 8RDA+ and theres no ยงยงยงยงing bios problems

edit- read some reviews on it at newegg. one guy (there were only 3) got it to 220 fsb without upping the vdd, and he said he could go farther, but would probably max out soon as he had pc3500.
    Last edited by corbec; 07-01-2003 at 08:30 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    I know you said you had a sound card but others might not. Besides MCP-T offers lower cpu utilizaition than most sound cards....equals faster computer

i dont know of any 4x nf2 mobos either.

Xtreme Member
    who said his EPoX was nforce2? i dont care if others might not....remember we are talking about what I should get :smileysex

I bought an 8RDA3+ as soon as it came out, and lets say I had many problems trying to get it to run 200FSB even at 2.00vdd, and could not find those high overclocks that we read about in ther reviews. In the end I lost patience and sold it cheaply.

I also borrowed a friends NF7 v2 and found that to be much better overclocker, so if I was in your shoes I would either go for the NF7 v2 or the 8RDA+ rev 2.0 or 2.1 that will be comming shortly.
    He who asks is a fool for 15 minutes, he who does'nt remains a fool forever.

Xtreme Member
    what ram did you have>?

Xtreme Addict
    I didnt realize you were the original poster. Its seems thatYOU have already made up your mind

Originally posted by corbec
    what ram did you have>?
    If you're refering to me, I had 2x 256 PC3200 Twinmos Winbond BH-5.

Xtreme Member
    Originally posted by texuspete2k2
    I didnt realize you were the original poster. Its seems thatYOU have already made up your mind
    yea i already made up my mind...im just sick of all these bios problems...thanks for telling me i made up my mind

Xtreme Member
    Originally posted by corbec
    NO YOU STUPID ยงยงยงยง! (excuse my language) the BIOS curruption is NOT fixed. Explain why my friend over at OCA w/ his prommie has had his BIOS get corrupted 2 times? hes just about had it with his nf7-s. review on nf7-s v2 from newegg...
    "Well, my first board died, but was really fast. then, got my second one, and yep, you guessed it, that one died too. i know its from the bios problem, but i don't care. i'm going epox. abit sucks."
    Who the hell yo callin a stupid ass, you stupid ass?

One person you know has a problem, and you think that means it's still a widespread problem? You think there was never an Epox board that had a corrupted BIOS?

The BIOS corruption has all but disapeared, it's now no more common than it is with any other chipst/mobo manufacturer.

You ask for help and then have the nerve to call people names when they give you an honest opinion? Does you momma know she raised an incredibly rude moron?

Any questions? Need help? You can rest assured I'll never take the time to read another one of your threads.
    Last edited by nelamvr6; 07-01-2003 at 02:25 PM.
    AMD Athon64 X2 4800+
    ASUS A8N-SLI-Premium
    2 GB PC3200 Corsair XMS cs2
    2X eVga 7800GTX KO SLI
    Disc0=74GB WD SATA Raptor, Disc1=250GB WD SATA, Disc2=120GB WD ATA
    PC Power & Cooling TurboCool 510 SLI PSU
    Windows XP Professional 64 Bit
    Spare Cycles Wanted:
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

Xtreme 3D Mark Team Staff
    the bios corruption wasn't fixed on My V2 NF7, and it was new out of the box, and died the first time exiting Bios, with no overclocking at all.

"The command and conquer model," said the EA CEO, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

Xtreme X.I.P.
    no??? are you sure? my 8rda+ has mcp-t and 8rda3+ is like the 8rda+ rev2.0 isnt it?

well nf7-s seems to be a great board, at least for most people. there are some people who dont get their board to 200fsb+, but there are a lot of people with nf7-s boards who could get them really high. i only know 2 people with 8rda3+ boards and they didnt like it.

Originally posted by saaya
    no??? are you sure? my 8rda+ has mcp-t and 8rda3+ is like the 8rda+ rev2.0 isnt it?

well nf7-s seems to be a great board, at least for most people. there are some people who dont get their board to 200fsb+, but there are a lot of people with nf7-s boards who could get them really high. i only know 2 people with 8rda3+ boards and they didnt like it.
    I can confirm the 8RDA3+ does not have MCP-T...I'm no audiophile but I tell you theres a noticable difference between the 8RDA+ and 8RDA3+'s audio quality (MCP-T being better IMO).

Xtreme Member
    I say go for the NF7 non-S if you don't need serial ATA... You'll save money not getting a feature you don't need... Buy one locally and if it gives you BIOS prob, exchange it!
    AMD X3 720BE @3.63GHz (16.5x X 220HTT @ 1.45v)
    Zalman 9500 cooler w/AS5
    GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-DS4H (AMD790GX w/SB750)
    Visiontek ATI 4850 @ 700/1100
    4GB DDR2-800 @4-4-4-12
    250GB Seagate, 320GB WD SATA II drives
    Windows 7 x64 RC build 7229
    Antec 900 case
    Cooler Master Real Power Pro 650w PSU

Xtreme Member

Red face Are you kidding me ?????

The BIOS corruption problem was w/all nForce2 chipsets. Did not matter who made it. It was a defect in the code in the BIOS or something like that. But it was w/all nVIDIA nForce2 chipsets. PERIOD
    NF7-S v2.0 (BIOS1.9)
    XP2100+ (@11.5x218)
    (2)Corsair XMS3500 (2x512)
    (2)Maxtor 80g 7200rpm 8m cache SATA's
    ATI RAdeon 9500Pro(soft-mod 9700Pro)
    SB Audigy X-Gamer
    Sony 52x24x52 CD/RW
    TTGI 520w PSU
    Logitech MX-500
    XP Pro SP~1a | DX9.0b

Xtreme Member
    After reading additional reviews of both boards, I've heard good things about both... But for some reason I keep getting the impression that Epox is a cheap-a$$ board with high voltage options for overclockers so that they sell some boards... I dunno personally. If you have the money, go for the Abit, they've been around since I was growing my overclocking pubic hair 5 years ago and they were there before that!
    AMD X3 720BE @3.63GHz (16.5x X 220HTT @ 1.45v)
    Zalman 9500 cooler w/AS5
    GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-DS4H (AMD790GX w/SB750)
    Visiontek ATI 4850 @ 700/1100
    4GB DDR2-800 @4-4-4-12
    250GB Seagate, 320GB WD SATA II drives
    Windows 7 x64 RC build 7229
    Antec 900 case
    Cooler Master Real Power Pro 650w PSU

Champion
    experienced users are having major issues with both boards of that there is no doubt. i'd go with the EPoX 8RGA+ as it has advanced mosfets, mcp-t southbridge and free graphics for when you sell it to your granny.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    epox is pretty much like abit, a company designing boards for ocers or how they like to call us "enthusiasts". abit has a longer history, but i must say i had 2 abit boards (slot1 and socket 370) anf they were extreme buggy and unstable. but that doesnt change anything about the nf2 boards...

it doesnt matter what company is older and has more expirience, soltek is a very young mobo company, and they are making one of the top5 nf2 boards!

id say screw the history of the company, screw the reviews (theres a bunch of people like kyle who write bs in their reviews!) and go find some people who actually have this board and ask THEM about it.

best find somebody who had both boards and can tell you what the main difference is.

Epox for me

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast