Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P5K Deluxe NB/SB/Mosfet Water Blocks?

Xtreme Member

P5K Deluxe NB/SB/Mosfet Water Blocks?

Does anyone have this Mobo with the NB/SB/Mosfet water cooled? If so, which water blocks did you use? Also, would it even be worth it to water cool it if I have a single 8800 GTS on the same loop?

Thanks in advanced.
    .:Gaming Rig:.
    *Rebuilding*

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I have this motherboard fully under water.

I'm afraid I can't remember the MIPs blocks I used, but they have a set of blocks which are compatible with the board. Their site also states which mosfet freezer it is.

Eddie also has Mosfet 3 block coming out which will fit P5K Deluxe.

EK Asus SB/NB1 block fits northbridge fine but doesn't fit SB without using a dremel to take away some of the Delrin top as a two caps foul it.

If it ain't watercooled, I don't wanna know.

Xtreme Member
    Awesome, thanks Mekrel! Your setup looks great BTW.
    *Rebuilding*

Nerdy Powerlifter
    Now thats a pretty board! I wouldn't mind doing something like that to cool the NB and other heat sinks. That really cleans up the board.

Where were the parts ordered from?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks.

I wanted to aircool the mosfets but nothing that looks good fits, including the HR-09s.

I ordered the Asus NB/SB 1 blocks and the Swiftech ApogeeGTX from http://www.chilledpc.co.uk and the MIPs blocks from http://www.candccentral.co.uk.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hopefully I'll have these in over the weekend...

(EK P5K-xxxxx blocks)
    C2D E8400 @ 4.4 Ghz
    Asus P5K Deluxe
    Nvidia 8800 GTS @ 648/900
    2GB Ballistix
    Dtek, Swiftech & EK blocks, 2x D5, PA120.3, 2, & 1.
    WD Raptor X 150GB & Seagate 7200.10 320GB
    X-Fi Prelude
    Corsair HX620
    Silverstone TJ07
    Dell 2407 WFP

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
    Hopefully I'll have these in over the weekend...

(EK P5K-xxxxx blocks)
    look good. Might hold out for these
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer

Banned
    Be careful what you wish for. I use the EK mosfets, see below thread:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=153512

and they bend the mobo like crazy. I am going toi make a back plate to prevent this. Even the CPU back plate did not help this.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Snyxxx View Post
    Be careful what you wish for. I use the EK mosfets, see below thread:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=153512

and they bend the mobo like crazy. I am going toi make a back plate to prevent this. Even the CPU back plate did not help this.
    That would be a good idea, especially if you could use the backplate to cool the mosfets on the back side of the board at the same time.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    they bend the mobo like crazy.
    I have a nice pile of metal washers similar in size to the fiber washers supplied. I anticipate making something similar in effect to the Swiftech hardmount kit by having the screw/washer stack bearing the mounting torque of the block and tubing with a touch of pressure on the Mosfets for cooling. I'm pretty sure this should minimize bending beyond the bit needed to realize good chip contact with the block. I'll make some photos of this idea when I get around to installing this.
    C2D E8400 @ 4.4 Ghz
    Asus P5K Deluxe
    2GB Ballistix
    X-Fi Prelude
    Corsair HX620
    Silverstone TJ07
    Dell 2407 WFP

Banned
    Luckily, my "old" mobo does not have any MOSFETs on the back side. I would like to see some photos when you're done.

The trouble I see is the mounting screws are on the ends which produce a cantilever type end moment from the edge MOSFET chips and crank in the bending. Not sure if a hard mount would do me much for my case.

I found that these ahve to be tightened by "feel" and makes me a little nervous. Similar to the EK FC 8800 block was.
    Last edited by Snyxxx; 08-03-2007 at 09:55 AM. Reason: I thought some more and think the hard mount will work.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Turns out my washer idea didnt happen due to an IC's legs right where the washers were to be located on one of the mounting holes.

I started up with a few revisions of my computer tonight, and found a few issues with the EK blocks and my example of the P5K Deluxe...

Clearance problem with board component on the top mosfet area:

Same issue on the other side of the block:

Some 'adjustment' needed for proper fit :

And now the board has mosfet coolers on it:

On the board bending issue, yeah, I am going to be making a backplate as well I think. I ended up using the Asus supplied tape that comes on the stock heatsink under the mosfet blocks. Mashed them down and lightly tightened the screws. I am not too sure what sort of thermal performance this setup has, but tonight this is the best I can come up with. A backplate would act as an extension of the water block for sure in regards to cooling the mosfets soldered to the back of the MB. At this point I'm kinda thinking that I would be so much better off with a P5K Premium board without the 'extra' mosfets in unusual locations, but to spend another $220 to replace a 2 month old board? Accch. I have been also thinking of gettings some thermal epoxy and simply glueing the block down as well, I'll sleep on that though first. Anyway...my version of a bending board:

C2D E8400 @ 4.4 Ghz
    Asus P5K Deluxe
    2GB Ballistix
    X-Fi Prelude
    Corsair HX620
    Silverstone TJ07
    Dell 2407 WFP

Banned
    I am now thinking of putting some sort of plastic spacer between the top of the mobo and EK base to kill the bending.

What do you think?

I am starting to also think it is more of a pain than worth to cool the MOSFETs, but it did not effect much flow, so be it.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I was thinking of the wedge something in between the MB tray and board method as well, but at least for the P5K with the mosfets on the back to support a backplate...I think I found a better solution. Last night before going to bed I made my ver. 1 of a backplate out of a spare aluminum 5.25 bay cover. Looks like it will actually work well. Today I will make my ver. 2 of this as there is room enough on the back of the MB to make the backplate stronger. I'll put some photos up when I get it done with a mini-review on how that might work out in the end.
    C2D E8400 @ 4.4 Ghz
    Asus P5K Deluxe
    2GB Ballistix
    X-Fi Prelude
    Corsair HX620
    Silverstone TJ07
    Dell 2407 WFP

Banned
    AndyM,

Thanks for your work on this, it is interesting. I am still thinking of putting something between the mobo and bottom of the EM MOSFET block to try and kill the bending. Thickness will, need to be just right though.

I thought about using the strip of thermal pad from the stock heatsink, but I like to use the small square thermal pads (1mm thick) that are meant for the EK FC8800 water block. You can get just the thermal pads from Petra's and they work good. No cutting at all. They are a good size for MOSFET chips.

http://www.petrastechshop.com/ekrevoretimp.html

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by Mekrel View Post
    Thanks.

I wanted to aircool the mosfets but nothing that looks good fits, including the HR-09s.

I ordered the Asus NB/SB 1 blocks and the Swiftech ApogeeGTX from http://www.chilledpc.co.uk and the MIPs blocks from http://www.candccentral.co.uk.
    HR-09 wont fit on these guys. Ive tried.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Here's pretty much the final product as it is going in the machine. I took an old 5.25 bay cover, and made some backplates. On the backplates I have AS5 where they contact the mosfets. Under the block I still have the Asus tape as using AS5 on those mosfets resulted in one row not having ideal contact for paste. However, all chips have good pressure into the tape now, and squish into it nicely.

I made these plates with a slight bow so that they would place pressure in the middle of the area in question. I'd say it works out OK to keep the board straight...

And the end result...doing a bit of leak testing while I attend to more changes elsewhere in my machine. Does anyone actually finish building a computer?

Last edited by AndyM; 08-04-2007 at 12:56 PM.
    C2D E8400 @ 4.4 Ghz
    Asus P5K Deluxe
    2GB Ballistix
    X-Fi Prelude
    Corsair HX620
    Silverstone TJ07
    Dell 2407 WFP

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    it says it fits on the site : http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/hr-09-mcl-type2.htm

Hmmm. Did they really test if it fits on the board?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
    Here's pretty much the final product as it is going in the machine. I took an old 5.25 bay cover, and made some backplates. On the backplates I have AS5 where they contact the mosfets. Under the block I still have the Asus tape as using AS5 on those mosfets resulted in one row not having ideal contact for paste. However, all chips have good pressure into the tape now, and squish into it nicely.

I made these plates with a slight bow so that they would place pressure in the middle of the area in question. I'd say it works out OK to keep the board straight...

And the end result...doing a bit of leak testing while I attend to more changes elsewhere in my machine. Does anyone actually finish building a computer?

Awesome, idea. I will be doing this for sure when mine come in.
    *Rebuilding*

Banned
    AndyM,

Thanks for posting the MOSFET back plates Exactly what I am going to try.

One thing though, now you only need to cool the SB with water, only one left.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    Which is exactly what I said

Xtreme Enthusiast
    AndyM,

Thanks for posting the MOSFET back plates Exactly what I am going to try.

One thing though, now you only need to cool the SB with water, only one left.

LOL.
    C2D E8400 @ 4.4 Ghz
    Asus P5K Deluxe
    2GB Ballistix
    X-Fi Prelude
    Corsair HX620
    Silverstone TJ07
    Dell 2407 WFP

Xtreme Member
    I thought the HR-09 fits on the P5k-deluxe. It certainly seems to for lasse.j5:

P180B worklog

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by alejo View Post
    I thought the HR-09 fits on the P5k-deluxe. It certainly seems to for lasse.j5:

P180B worklog
    Nope it doesn't cover all of them.

Took my board into a local supplier and we tried to fit it in every was possible.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    And a little side note....it seems that I needed to bump up my vcore 2 notches for my 'hot ambient Orthos stable w/7 volt fans OC' after installing these blocks . Not too sure what is going on here. I was running bare Mosfet's before installing these blocks. After letting the machine roast at 3.75Ghz/1.49 vcore @ load in 82F ambients to verify stability at this new vcore while I'm away at work today, I'll turn on the AC and see how my max stable OC is doing. Dontcha love it when your mod seems to not agree with your computer?
    Last edited by AndyM; 08-05-2007 at 03:42 AM. Reason: more info
    C2D E8400 @ 4.4 Ghz
    Asus P5K Deluxe
    2GB Ballistix
    X-Fi Prelude
    Corsair HX620
    Silverstone TJ07
    Dell 2407 WFP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast