Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas explosions in Dallas Texas

I am Xtreme

Gas explosions in Dallas Texas

On the news it was said a leaking pig tail on a gas cylinder started a chain reaction of propane and acetylene gas tank explosions. Below is a silent video watch closely to see the energy of each tank as it explodes. This happened at a facility where everone had professional training. Accidents do happen. It was reported fire fighters couldn't approach for 3 hours until the explosive chain reactions stopped. interstates shut down ,3 mile evacuation.

Then follow up the story on your favorite news site.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/07/25/dal...ew#cnnSTCVideo
    Last edited by wdrzal; 07-25-2007 at 11:12 AM.
    The Laws of Thermodynamics say:

Zeroth Law: "You must play the game."
    First Law: "You can't win."
    Second Law: "You can't break even."
    Third Law: "You can't quit the game."

Do you wanna Play Thermodynamics ???????? I forgot "you must"

YouTube Addict
    and gas prices fly to $7 a Gal
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by nn_step View Post
    and gas prices fly to $7 a Gal
    Not automotive gasoline Bottled gases used for brazing , heating & in the refrigeration trade & others.

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Hmm did nn_step even watch video? It looked like a small building in an industrial park and clearly showed a few cylinders flaring. Destruction was pretty thorough though. Nice find Walt, too bad you can't see many cylinders going boom as that'd really show the force contained within them.

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by wdrzal View Post
    Not automotive gasoline Bottled gases used for brazing , heating & in the refrigeration trade & others.
    I know

Quote Originally Posted by [XC] gomeler View Post
    Hmm did nn_step even watch video? It looked like a small building in an industrial park and clearly showed a few cylinders flaring. Destruction was pretty thorough though. Nice find Walt, too bad you can't see many cylinders going boom as that'd really show the force contained within them.
    Yes I did but I thought it would be funny
    but if you prefer:
    Why shouldn't I work for the N.S.A.? That's a tough one, but I'll take a shot. Say I'm working at N.S.A. Somebody puts a code on my desk, something nobody else can break. Maybe I take a shot at it and maybe I break it. And I'm real happy with myself, 'cause I did my job well. But maybe that code was the location of some rebel army in North Africa or the Middle East. Once they have that location, they bomb the village where the rebels were hiding and fifteen hundred people I never met, never had a no problem with get killed. Now the politicians are sayin', "Oh, Send in the marines to secure the area" 'cause they don't give a . It won't be their kid over there, gettin' shot. Just like it wasn't them when their number got called, 'cause they were pullin' a tour in the National Guard. It'll be some kid from Southie takin' shrapnel in the ass. And he comes back to find that the plant he used to work at got exported to the country he just got back from. And the guy who put the shrapnel in his ass got his old job, 'cause he'll work for fifteen cents a day and no bathroom breaks. Meanwhile he realizes the only reason he was over there in the first place was so we could install a government that would sell us oil at a good price. And of course the oil companies used the skirmish over there to scare up domestic oil prices. A cute little ancillary benefit for them, but it ain't helping my buddy at two-fifty a gallon. And they're takin' their sweet time bringin' the oil back of course, and maybe even took the liberty of hiring an alcoholic skipper who likes to drink martinis and in' play slalom with the icebergs, and it ain't too long 'til he hits one, spills the oil and kills all the sea life in the North Atlantic. So now my buddy's out of work and he can't afford to drive, so he's got to walk to the in' job interviews, which sucks 'cause the shrapnel in his ass is givin' him chronic hemorrhoids. And meanwhile he's starvin' 'cause every time he tries to get a bite to eat the only blue plate special they're servin' is North Atlantic scrod with Quaker State. So what did I think? I'm holdin' out for somethin' better. I figure it, while I'm at it why not just shoot my buddy, take his job, give it to his sworn enemy, hike up gas prices, bomb a village, club a baby seal, hit the hash pipe and join the National Guard? I could be elected president.
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Read about half of that and lost focus of what point it was trying to get across. The reason why I said what I did is the fact that Walt has been stressing safety considerably on this forum and it seems/ed like you completely missed the point of the video.

Xtreme Member
    Wow that was really not cool. And made no real sense.

SSD faster than your HDD
    I believe NN_step's point, is that they are using any excuse these days to raise gas (Gasoline, gogo juice, petrol) prices

His example shows how 1 event affects another totally unrelated event.

You guys think to hard sometimes
    Last edited by RyderOCZ; 07-25-2007 at 06:03 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    In Elk Grove CA about 10 miles from my house there are 2 12million gallon propane tanks. Check it out here.
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Kayin View Post
    Should the RIAA ever target me, I will immediately forfeit US citizenship and move back to reservation, which has no extradition policy and would probably tell Whitey to get bent or we'll scalp you and take your women...
    Free Omastar!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    I know

but if you prefer:
    Why shouldn't I work for the N.S.A.? That's a tough one, but I'll take a shot. Say I'm working at N.S.A. Somebody puts a code on my desk, something nobody else can break. Maybe I take a shot at it and maybe I break it. And I'm real happy with myself, 'cause I did my job well. But maybe that code was the location of some rebel army in North Africa or the Middle East. Once they have that location, they bomb the village where the rebels were hiding and fifteen hundred people I never met, never had a no problem with get killed. Now the politicians are sayin', "Oh, Send in the marines to secure the area" 'cause they don't give a . It won't be their kid over there, gettin' shot. Just like it wasn't them when their number got called, 'cause they were pullin' a tour in the National Guard. It'll be some kid from Southie takin' shrapnel in the ass. And he comes back to find that the plant he used to work at got exported to the country he just got back from. And the guy who put the shrapnel in his ass got his old job, 'cause he'll work for fifteen cents a day and no bathroom breaks. Meanwhile he realizes the only reason he was over there in the first place was so we could install a government that would sell us oil at a good price. And of course the oil companies used the skirmish over there to scare up domestic oil prices. A cute little ancillary benefit for them, but it ain't helping my buddy at two-fifty a gallon. And they're takin' their sweet time bringin' the oil back of course, and maybe even took the liberty of hiring an alcoholic skipper who likes to drink martinis and in' play slalom with the icebergs, and it ain't too long 'til he hits one, spills the oil and kills all the sea life in the North Atlantic. So now my buddy's out of work and he can't afford to drive, so he's got to walk to the in' job interviews, which sucks 'cause the shrapnel in his ass is givin' him chronic hemorrhoids. And meanwhile he's starvin' 'cause every time he tries to get a bite to eat the only blue plate special they're servin' is North Atlantic scrod with Quaker State. So what did I think? I'm holdin' out for somethin' better. I figure it, while I'm at it why not just shoot my buddy, take his job, give it to his sworn enemy, hike up gas prices, bomb a village, club a baby seal, hit the hash pipe and join the National Guard? I could be elected president.
    It reminds me of something Matt Damon said in a movie.

I am Xtreme
    The cylinders flaring is how they are supposed to release in a fire,acetylene tanks have fusible plugs that melt and the gas is released and usually ignited and thats the Flaring cylinders you see. your standard barbecue 20 lb propane cylinder release by a preset pressure valve and is also supposed to just release and flare if ignited.This works great when a normal structure catches fire. but in a fire with so many tanks in one area and so many gases,the chemical energy and temperatures are noting like a normal fire. some tanks are heated so rapidly from such a angle the fusible plugs are still intact when they fuel reaches auto-ignition temperature. Boom.

This can also happen when a flashback occurs in a acetylene tank using a 2 gas torch. It may be burning and heating internally from seconds to many minutes before the boom. If you are ever using a acetylene tank and it starts shaken or moving on its own,you get yourself and every else away as far away and ASAP as yesterday. chances are that building may not be standing shortly.In a explosion if you don't die from the concussion of the pressure wave,usually the superheated water vapor in the air scalds your lung sacs on the first and sometimes the last breath you ever take. when looking at that video try to grasp how far you see those tanks and fire balls going,the pressure wave and superheated vapor travels much farther.

Xtreme Member
    Walt are you some sort of safety technician of sorts? Has something bad happened to you, that you care so much about safety. Although we should all take stuff very carefully.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdustin2008 View Post
    Walt are you some sort of safety technician of sorts? Has something bad happened to you, that you care so much about safety. Although we should all take stuff very carefully.
    I,m self employed.I do all all aspects of HVAC/R/E design,engineering ,installing. so I am responsible for the safety of my employees,the systems I design and install,plus all the people in the buildings that could be affected if something went horribly wrong because of something being missed or done wrong ,not following procedure or codes whether for pressure vessels or electrical, etc ,etc.. and say a building burnt down . my work is so varied in the realm of what my company does,safety is always #1

BTW it's that way with every company that has a lick of responsibility.Or Any one on a commercial job site or doing industrial work. OSHA mandates re-occurring safety training.

It apparent, many here don't even consider,may not know what pressure alone can do not counting chemical energy. This is not hooking 1/2 a dozens fans to a 12v DC rail anymore.
    Last edited by wdrzal; 07-26-2007 at 12:11 AM.

Xtreme Mentor
    *Groans* My great contention is having to explain the pressur wave of a detonation so many times over to new blasters.

Even though there is no shrapnel the pressur wave can pop your spleen, heart, liver, lungs and pretty much every other soft tissue like a baloon!

Some things just can never be realy explained to you see it in RL. My faverit demo is a water baloon in a gello mold with a quarter stick 10 feet away, jello is still intack but the baloon isn't! think it was ten feet, cant recall but you get the idea.
    Bring back natural selection! No more warning lables!

The one and Only MG Pony

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by killermiller View Post
    It reminds me of something Matt Damon said in a movie.
    lol ripped from good will hunting
    after the PSU i'm planning on watercooling the ball bearings in the fans...

I am Xtreme
    I know

but if you prefer:
    NN_, I got your point that was an awesome post and on point.

For those that read it all the way though, or just missed the point entirely, then I guess you are not paying attention to whats going in with our country, and can not understand the complexity of all the issues involved.

Some times NN_ jokes/satire are just lost on those that don't know/care/think.

fermiNow Dave will see FERMI where ever I go
    Quote Originally Posted by jbartlett323 View Post
    So please return to the "Darkside of the Moon" and check your "Pulse" while you wait for the "Animals" that will be "Obscured By Clouds". And watch me wave as I say "Wish You Were Here" in "A Momentary Lapse of Reason"

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by RyderOCZ View Post
    I believe NN_step's point, is that they are using any excuse these days to raise gas (Gasoline, gogo juice, petrol) prices

His example shows how 1 event affects another totally unrelated event.

You guys think to hard sometimes
    Ya,but does any care when I flush my toilet,the water from the sewer plant gos into the main West branch of the Susquehanna river ,then flows in to the Susquehanna River,then to the Chesapeake Bay and flows into the Atlantic ocean some where between the Northern shore ,Maryland and the Southern shore, Virginia.

If you live in one of the previous mentioned States,Please accept my apologies

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wdrzal View Post
    Ya,but does any care when I flush my toilet,the water from the sewer plant gos into the main West branch of the Susquehanna river ,then flows in to the Susquehanna River,then to the Chesapeake Bay and flows into the Atlantic ocean some where between the Northern shore ,Maryland and the Southern shore, Virginia.

If you live in one of the previous mentioned States,Please accept my apologies
    nicely put
    after the PSU i'm planning on watercooling the ball bearings in the fans...

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by phelan1777 View Post
    NN_, I got your point that was an awesome post and on point.

For those that read it all the way though, or just missed the point entirely, then I guess you are not paying attention to whats going in with our country, and can not understand the complexity of all the issues involved.

Some times NN_ jokes/satire are just lost on those that don't know/care/think.

This is the phase cooling section which should be technically/science driven......Do we want to keep filling it with posts like nn made and my post above about where my sewerage water goes.

speak freely and whampeteer is for that.

I thinks the mods need to crack down a bit ,and keep phase cooling section,phase cooling as related to CPU's and overclocking & the mechanical and thermodynamic process involved as mention in my rant in Pete's Thread
    Last edited by wdrzal; 07-26-2007 at 08:49 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Nobody commented on the 2-12 million gallon propane tanks!
    Should the RIAA ever target me, I will immediately forfeit US citizenship and move back to reservation, which has no extradition policy and would probably tell Whitey to get bent or we'll scalp you and take your women...
    Free Omastar!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by 2long4u View Post
    Nobody commented on the 2-12 million gallon propane tanks!
    You are very Brave Better ?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Yup.
    Free Omastar!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Cruncher
    the shock wave is how fuel air bombs work, wikipedia it so yeah, even a propane tank full all the way, then heating up a little bit and explodine might have enough expanding gas to do the same thing [just a lot weaker]
    them big tanks should be underground, i also have a dozen or so 100foot diameter by like 30 feet tall tanks about 20 miles from my house, and those are right next to a town [ less than 200 feet away]
    Last edited by [486]; 07-27-2007 at 12:32 PM.

I am Xtreme
    A underground explosion with the chemical energy in those tanks could trigger a fault to slip, especially in California, and a earthquake to happen exponentially increase the damage area. just like a single skier triggering a major avalanche.

well accidents are not common a tank sometimes just collapses because of a single faulty weld or some other accident happens. Tanks are monitored and inspected more closely than most realize,with some very high tech methods.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I'll see if I can get a picture one of these days.
    Free Omastar!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast