Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lets Get Extreme! PhysX watercooling with Pics !

Xtreme Enthusiast

No need for watercooled PSUs! Just do this!

By the way, if you want massive power at 20 dBa. Here is how to do it:

1 - Buy the Thermaltake 1200 Toughpower (which absolutely no one would ever need but does include only one fairly quiet 140 mm YL fan).
    2 - Carefully crack the unit open.
    3 - Remove the stock fan and replace it with this: http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...ducts_id=20771
    4 - Now undervolt the fan to 7 volts before it reaches the PCB
    5 - Remove the crap plastic shorting strips, cut them and then glue two patches to the side to prevent shorts (if not removed, your PSU will whine over 700 ~ 800 watts load)
    5 - Rescrew the fan to the top and reinstall carefully. While your at it, put some heatshrink on the wires coming out of the Toughpower.
    6 - Now listen to that monster go at only 17 ~ 20 dBa! (of course your exhaust temps will now run 49 deg C instead of 44 at 350 watts load, but still not bad)

Caveat: I would only do this mod though if you plan on drawing 700 watts or less from the Toughpower. If your really are in that 0.1% of people that has Quad SLI, 10 RAID 0 arrays and five water loops, just leave in the stock fan. It is not that loud, ~30 dBa.

Jay

Pic #1 - This is the replacement D14 SM-12 YL fan
    Pic #2 - The replacement fan beside the TT Toughpower 1200 watt PSU
    Pic #3 - The reinstallation is almost finished (You will not hear this baby now unless you put your ears three inches away)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fan 1.JPG 
Views:	181 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	62157   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fan 2.JPG 
Views:	175 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	62158   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fan 3.JPG 
Views:	175 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	62159  
    Last edited by jayhall0315; 07-26-2007 at 02:57 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hey guys,
    Not trying to turn this into a PhysX forum but some of you were asking about how it might pan out down the road. Take a read here: http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3048

Fairly good article with some info on Havok FX and GPGPU.

Enjoy,
    Jay

Xtreme Mentor
    Death to 40mm fans.
    Get them before they get you. They're scheming to fry your gpu.

Jay,
    If you're getting an order from PerfPC, get them to throw in some of the black three pin fan plugs they sell from AC Ryan.
    Finishes off your black sleeving nicely.
    Last edited by Jedda; 07-26-2007 at 02:54 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast

Wink Agreed! Death to all 40 mm fans.

Yeah, when I first started overclocking about six/seven years ago, I always tried for high speed and low temps and damn the noise. And now, well, I have a fiancee, and she would like to have a baby some day. And it's hard to practice for projects like that if you have a damn whining sound in your head during such times.

Okay, seriously, my rig is primarily watercooled for absolute quiet and I never leave a 40 mm fan anywhere if I can help it. Once I got the Q6600, I had it up to 3.380 for about an hour or two and then I dialed it back down to 3.2, where it now comfortably rests. It runs a little bit high at 44 deg C, but then my rig is usually running about 20 ~ 23 dBa when the HDs dont seek too much.

Jay

Xtreme Mentor
    40mm packing up and frying gpu cost me three vid cards last year. I had to buy replacements in each case to keep the box running over the weeks involved in warranty claims.
    Now they're thousand dollar cards, WC is cheap insurance against 40 mm attack, imho. Add in a 680i and it's a no-brainer.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    (just dont let Ageia know that I reverse engineered their drivers).
    what do u mean by "reverse engineering" their drivers?
    Case-Coolermaster Cosmos S
    MoBo- ASUS Crosshair IV
    Graphics Card-XFX R9 280X [out for RMA] using HD5870
    Hard Drive-Kingston 240Gig V300 master Seagate 160Gb slave Seagate 250Gb slave Seagate 500Gb slave Western Digital 500Gb
    CPU-AMD FX-8320 5Ghz
    RAM 8Gig Corshair c8
    Logitech 5.1 Z5500 BOOST22
    300Gb of MUSICA!!

Steam ID: alphamonkeywoman
    http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/933ab/

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeywoman View Post
    what do u mean by "reverse engineering" their drivers?
    Hey Monkeywoman (Great name by the way),
    All software properties of Ageia are protected by copyright law and in the US you can patent software as well as hardware. While having no special desire for James Bond type secrecy, I can say that it would not be a good idea for me to go into details about to how reverse engineer their drivers (not trying to blow you off, I just dont want to be sued). If you are an adequate programmer or engineer and are decent at coding, their SDK is available for free at their website and reveals much about how the PhysX card works. There are also such things as bus analyzers, interactive disassemblers and decompilers that you may want to check out if you have similar interests.

Jay

Xtreme Member
    ROFL... thats great!! Have you noticed any performance increase?? If you said this already I guess I can't read, lol.
    Gautam: "I like the black one... its 4" longer too... but its not 'high performance"
    Mobo------------Asus Commando
    CPU-------------L628B121-E6600(Apogee GTX)@ 505x8@ 1.53V Actual (Still Testing)
    Vid--------------BBA ATI X1900XTX @ 765/900@ 1.550/2.217 volts (Swiftech MCW60)
    Ram----------- 2x1024 OCZ PC2-8500
    HDD------------74GB Raptor, 2 320GB 7200.10's Matrix Raid
    Optical--------- DVDRW's- Dual Lite-On LH-20A1S
    PSU------------ Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W
    Water Cooling- PA120.2 & PA120.3 (San Ace fans), Dual DDC2's with Petra tops, 7/16" lines
    Benchies
    PCMark05: 9420 3DMark06: 7751 3DMark05: 13203 3DMark 03: 26301 SuperPi: 12.782

Project: Clean Overkill

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Eightballrj View Post
    ROFL... thats great!! Have you noticed any performance increase?? If you said this already I guess I can't read, lol.
    Yes, if you overclock the PPU like a normal processing unit, it will go about 12% higher and if you make adjustments to the drivers you can get about 40% more performance in certain situations. What this translates into for the average GRAW player is that instead of a slight 3-7 FPS slowdown when using the PhysX card (like when throwing a grenade under a car), you actually get just about zero FPS loss. And in certain situations where the API is more closely related to the frame rate, you obviously have more FPS (like Cellfactor).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12