Thread: Need help!

Xtreme Enthusiast

Exclamation Need help!

Question for the Knowledgeable Audiophiles in the Audience -

(Yes, I know I should be asking this in a different part of the forums, but I find the liquid cooling section to have more traffic and more knowledgeable power users.)

Question: I am running a multiple OS setup with WinXP on one RAID array and Ubuntu/RedHat on another RAID array. I have a X-FI Fatalty soundcard, which works fine under XP, but for which no Linux drivers have been released (which means no sound in Ubuntu). If I boot Ubuntu and I want sound, I can go back into the BIOS and enable the onboard motherboard sound and then pull the 3.5 jacks out of the X-FI and put them into the jacks on the back of the motherboard. What I am searching for is some do-dad that will allow me to simply switch the signal between the motherboard and X-FI quickly and easily. Anyone know of something along these lines.

Any help would be much appreciated,
    Jay

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    Question for the Knowledgeable Audiophiles in the Audience -

(Yes, I know I should be asking this in a different part of the forums, but I find the liquid cooling section to have more traffic and more knowledgeable power users.)

Question: I am running a multiple OS setup with WinXP on one RAID array and Ubuntu/RedHat on another RAID array. I have a X-FI Fatalty soundcard, which works fine under XP, but for which no Linux drivers have been released (which means no sound in Ubuntu). If I boot Ubuntu and I want sound, I can go back into the BIOS and enable the onboard motherboard sound and then pull the 3.5 jacks out of the X-FI and put them into the jacks on the back of the motherboard. What I am searching for is some do-dad that will allow me to simply switch the signal between the motherboard and X-FI quickly and easily. Anyone know of something along these lines.

Any help would be much appreciated,
    Jay
    Output singles are easy to split but combineing inputs is a bit trickier. You can make a wye splitter that would do the trick. You can google it to find wiring diagrams.

Other then that just google around for wye splitter for input signals.

Yin|Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5-B3|Swiftech XT -> GTX240 -> DDC+ w/ Petra's|2600K @ 5.0GHz @1.368V |4 x 4 GB G.Skill Eco DDR3-1600-8-8-8-24|Asus DirectCUII GTX670|120 GB Crucial M4|2 x 2 TB Seagate LP(Raid-0)|Plextor 755-SA|Auzentech Prelude 7.1|Seasonic M12-700|Lian-Li PC-6077B (Heavily Modded)

Squire|Shuttle SD36G5M| R.I.P.

I am Xtreme
    You could always just disable the onboard sound through Device Manager in XP and use an amplifier to do the switching. Although this definitely isn't the cheapest way to go.

Xtreme Member
    Here you go:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

Both males will each go to your X-Fi and Onboard sound speaker or Line-Out. Your speaker connects to the female end of this Y cable. No switching necessary. You will always have sound, either in XP or Ubunto.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Audio Y-Adapter.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	2.5 KB 
ID:	62163  

My Complete System Specs and High Rez Pics Here.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by mjassbong View Post
    Here you go:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

Both males will each go to your X-Fi and Onboard sound speaker or Line-Out. Your speaker connects to the female end of this Y cable. No switching necessary. You will always have sound, either in XP or Ubunto.
    Won't work. You can't connect two input sources into one with a simple y cable. I don't feel like explaining the electronics but it wont work... when I get home I may do a search for some devices that will work.

Yin|Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5-B3|Swiftech XT -> GTX240 -> DDC+ w/ Petra's|2600K @ 5.0GHz @1.368V |4 x 4 GB G.Skill Eco DDR3-1600-8-8-8-24|Asus DirectCUII GTX670|120 GB Crucial M4|2 x 2 TB Seagate LP(Raid-0)|Plextor 755-SA|Auzentech Prelude 7.1|Seasonic M12-700|Lian-Li PC-6077B (Heavily Modded)

Squire|Shuttle SD36G5M| R.I.P.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bun-Bun View Post
    Won't work. You can't connect two input sources into one with a simple y cable. I don't feel like explaining the electronics but it wont work... when I get home I may do a search for some devices that will work.
    Seems like it may work. Only 1 sound device will be on at any one time. In XP, just disable the onboard sound under device manager. The X-Fi will be disabled anyway under Ubunto since no driver is loaded.

Here's the description of this Y cable from Radioshack:

"This 6" Y-adapter will connect both your modem and sound card to your multimedia speakers. It has an 1/8" jack on one end and two 1/8" plugs on the other.

- 1/8" jack on one end and two 1/8" plugs on the other
    - Simultaneously connect modem and sound card to multimedia speakers"

My Complete System Specs and High Rez Pics Here.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Seems like it may work. Only 1 sound device will be on at any one time. In XP, just disable the onboard sound under device manager. The X-Fi will be disabled anyway under Ubunto since no driver is loaded.

Here's the description of this Y cable from Radioshack:

"This 6" Y-adapter will connect both your modem and sound card to your multimedia speakers. It has an 1/8" jack on one end and two 1/8" plugs on the other.

- 1/8" jack on one end and two 1/8" plugs on the other
    - Simultaneously connect modem and sound card to multimedia speakers"
    Hey Guys,
    I appreciate the ideas. If you have more, keep em coming. One of my tech weaknesses is multimedia and sound crap. As a programmer, I really hate the gjillion codecs out there. This SPDIF, TOSlink, Optical, whatchamakallit crap should really be sorted out. As should the Dolby, DTS, EAX, blah, blah, blah stuff. Let's have two or three universally agreed upon standards and stick with em, I say.

Jay

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I really hate the gjillion codecs out there. This SPDIF, TOSlink, Optical, whatchamakallit crap should really be sorted out. As should the Dolby, DTS, EAX, blah, blah, blah stuff. Let's have two or three universally agreed upon standards and stick with em, I say.

Jay
    nicely said.
    But very true.
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer

I am Xtreme
    y dont u just leave the onboard enabled?
    r u only using 1 jack? if so, just run an extension from both x-fi & onboard to ur seat, that way, yes u still have to change jack, but u dont have to get up - it only takes 1 sec...
    & yes u can have 2 soundcards enabled/used on the 1 OS (ie XP) done it before - *real* simple...
    DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by tiro_uspsss View Post
    y dont u just leave the onboard enabled?
    r u only using 1 jack? if so, just run an extension from both x-fi & onboard to ur seat, that way, yes u still have to change jack, but u dont have to get up - it only takes 1 sec...
    & yes u can have 2 soundcards enabled/used on the 1 OS (ie XP) done it before - *real* simple...
    Thanks Tiro,
    What I am searching for is something like Mjass is proposing (which I guess would work but still not sure because I forgot half that crap from EE206). Just want to make sure that a y splitter can transmit the correct signal in a one way path from the 'on' audio device to the speaker system when the other audio device is 'off'. Does anyone know for sure, if this is correct ?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Bun-Bun View Post
    he's talking OUTput for starters.. in which case i dont see y it shouldnt work... & please, with all due respect, many of us come here (including myself) to learn, never hold back, teach when u can!
    DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/

Xtreme Enthusiast

Problem Solved! - Lets close this thread down

Thanks everyone,
    After checking the specs and my old textbook on signal propagation, Mjassbong is correct. That Y jack is fine for audio OUTPUT from two sources (as long as one is disabled). (which is all I need). Problem solved and many thanks for the good suggestions.

Jay