Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Please note the capacitor explosion of P5K-E

Quote Originally Posted by NewBeetle View Post
    Hi, bonobo-san.
    Of course, you can use my pics.

Regards
    NewBeetle
    Yay for the niceness

My friend just called me: capacitor on his P5K dlx exploded few mins ago. Tomorrow Ill replace this cap with new one. Only one question why ASUS marks on the PCB plus leg of capacitor instead of minus, like others manufacturers?

IT Engineer in the making
    Quote Originally Posted by ent View Post
    My friend just called me: capacitor on his P5K dlx exploded few mins ago. Tomorrow Ill replace this cap with new one. Only one question why ASUS marks on the PCB plus leg of capacitor instead of minus, like others manufacturers?
    If I'm not mistaking, they've already done it like that years ago and never changed their way of marking + instead of - , like all other manufacturers that I know of. As you know that they do it this way, it won't get you in trouble. It's just strange, but hey it's Asus.

Good luck with your repair job.
    Quote from one of our professors:
    "Reality is hiding in the imaginary part."

Xtreme Addict
    Seems its always that same cap. Could it be heat related, what temp are those caps speced for? I measured temp at the base of that cap under only 1.54v load and it was 84C. :o Added a 120mm and it dropped by almost 20C.
    MB Reviewer for HWC
    Team OCX Bench Team

It must be a combination of ripple and excessive heat that is traveling from the mosfets through the PCB into the cap. Those solid caps tend to absorb heat better than the standard electrolytic caps. That's why they seem to get hotter. And if I'm not totally wrong, the caps are spec'd for 105°C.

So can we assume that it is a design error on all ASUS P35 mobos?
    Quote Originally Posted by celemine1Gig View Post
    Good luck with your repair job.
    Thx!

So can we assume that it is a design error on all ASUS P35 mobos?

Thx!

Good question. I wouldn't go as far as calling it a design flaw. Perhaps it's only certain batches of boards that had weak caps, too. I don't really know. Perhaps they just overdid it with saving money by using less caps. I don't have a P5K-E, so I won't judge on it. Let's just say it for sure is suboptimal.
    It could also be that they didn't think of the stress that overclocking will cause for this special cap when doing the calculations for the right cap ratings. That doesn't necessarily mean that it's a design flaw, as overclocking will never be guaranteed, but still it would be pretty sad.

Guys I cant get today capacitor same as NewBeetle used on his repair I have to decide which one would be best:
    - 16V 1500uF
    - 25V 470uF
    - 35V 1000uF

Al of the of course are said to be low ESR, can anyone help in deciding what capacitor to use?

Guys I cant get today capacitor same as NewBeetle used on his repair I have to decide which one would be best:
    - 16V 1500uF
    - 25V 470uF
    - 35V 1000uF

Al of the of course are said to be low ESR, can anyone help in deciding what capacitor to use?
    More information please. Manufacturer, series, temperature and ripple current rating...

All I know about them are their main parameters and the 1500uF/16V caps are manufactured by TEAPO. Probally all of them are cheap Chinese products. I will get the 470uF/25V and 1000uF/35V in the evening.

I didn't manage to repair that P5K dlx , something else than capacitor must be damaged, a put a few caps there to check if it is a problem with single one or with badly choosen capacity but nothing helps

Champion
    A few days ago, a capacitor got blown on one of our forum member's Asus P5K Vanilla. He did replace it and the board continued to work just fine, but this seems to become a general issue with this boards....It doesn't matter that those boards are not thought to operate at 5Ghz with 1.9v or whatever, other boards don't seem to have this problem.
    Weissbier - breakfast of champions

Xtreme Addict
    @celemine1Gig: I haven't read this thread in a while. You yourself were being rude. Instead of barking at me to get data sheets you could just go get your own data sheets or show me how I'm wrong.

I don't mind being corrected. You could have just showed me why it is wrong and pointed me at the right direction. All i originally wanted 2 say was that it sucked if newbeetle got bad caps on his board.

Also i was not trying to state that the blue cap was the same as the purple caps on kitts board. I was just trying 2 say that since kitts board didn't blow while newbeetle's board blew and that they were both using different caps that probably newbeetle's caps were crappier. That may be wrong but its an honest assumption.
    Last edited by ineedaname; 10-14-2007 at 10:53 PM.
    CPU: Q6600 @ 3.6ghz G0 Week 37B
    Mobo: Asus P5k Deluxe
    Cooler: TRUE 120 (150cfm Delta)
    2xHR-05
    2xHR-09
    Mem: G.Skill 4x1Gb 6400HZ
    Vid: HIS 4850
    HDD: 80Gb 16mb Cache Raptor
    500Gb 7200.11 Seagate
    PSU: Enermax Noisetaker 600w
    Case: Thermaltake Armor (4x120mm 104CFM Panaflo)

3dmark06: 16k

Quote Originally Posted by ineedaname View Post
    @celemine1Gig: I haven't read this thread in a while. You yourself were being rude. Instead of barking at me to get data sheets you could just go get your own data sheets or show me how I'm wrong.

I don't mind being corrected. You could have just showed me why it is wrong and pointed me at the right direction. All i originally wanted 2 say was that it sucked if newbeetle got bad caps on his board.

Also i was not trying to state that the blue cap was the same as the purple caps on kitts board. I was just trying 2 say that since kitts board didn't blow while newbeetle's board blew and that they were both using different caps that probably newbeetle's caps were crappier. That may be wrong but its an honest assumption.
    Did you just happen to have a backflash?

I don't have the time to find datasheets for you(hint: the links are already located in this particular thread).Just compare the caps data.

All I wanted to say is: Don't assume that some capacitor might not be as good as another, but back it up with some data that is readily available online. And most likely it isn't really a question of using a 270µF 16V Fujitsu, or 270µF 16V Sanyo solid cap (they might be rated pretty much exactly the same), but using a cap that might not be rated up to the task anyway.

This is in no way intended as a personal attack. Think about it.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Monstru View Post
    A few days ago, a capacitor got blown on one of our forum member's Asus P5K Vanilla. He did replace it and the board continued to work just fine, but this seems to become a general issue with this boards....It doesn't matter that those boards are not thought to operate at 5Ghz with 1.9v or whatever, other boards don't seem to have this problem.
    ASUS P5N32-E SLI 680I, Blew same cap as well. CPU @ 1.5Vcore 4.8ghz P4 631 -75c Im thinking ASUS + CAPS + SUB Zero = problems

I Have had the same problem on other asus boards, P965, 975.... all while sub zero cooling....
    "If It Doesn't Overclock Its Broken"
    "NexGen Overclocking"
    "Overclocking, its a life style"

Quote Originally Posted by V2-V3 View Post
    ASUS P5N32-E SLI 680I, Blew same cap as well. CPU @ 1.5Vcore 4.8ghz P4 631 -75c Im thinking ASUS + CAPS + SUB Zero = problems

I Have had the same problem on other asus boards, P965, 975.... all while sub zero cooling....

If all boards were used with subzero cooling while the caps exploded, this would perhaps explain the behaviour. If I recall it correctly, the caps are not rated for such low temps. And most likely there's a reason for it. I even think hipro5 did mention something about the solid caps and subzero temps lately. Perhaps in his Asus Formula modding thread? I'm not sure anymore. It wasn't long ago.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Mine blew up on normal air cooling temps, at idle, and low voltage.
    The new P5K3 Deluxe will more than likely blow up like my first did, but that's one week away, need to review some stuff now
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    Mine blew up on normal air cooling temps, at idle, and low voltage.
    The new P5K3 Deluxe will more than likely blow up like my first did, but that's one week away, need to review some stuff now
    And there goes the nice subzero theory. Back to what we had before.

Xtreme Addict
    Just as an observation. I've noticed that the solid caps used on these newer mobo's are alot lower rated than regular caps on older mobo's.

I dunno what difference that would make but just an observation. Like looking back at a bunch of old socket 478 mobo's they use a lot of caps with 3300uF. Maybe they make up 4 the capacitance with solid caps by putting them in series.
    CPU: Q6600 @ 3.6ghz G0 Week 37B
    Mobo: Asus P5k Deluxe
    Cooler: TRUE 120 (150cfm Delta)
    2xHR-05
    2xHR-09
    Mem: G.Skill 4x1Gb 6400HZ
    Vid: HIS 4850
    HDD: 80Gb 16mb Cache Raptor
    500Gb 7200.11 Seagate
    PSU: Enermax Noisetaker 600w
    Case: Thermaltake Armor (4x120mm 104CFM Panaflo)

3dmark06: 16k

Quote Originally Posted by ineedaname View Post
    Just as an observation. I've noticed that the solid caps used on these newer mobo's are alot lower rated than regular caps on older mobo's.

I dunno what difference that would make but just an observation. Like looking back at a bunch of old socket 478 mobo's they use a lot of caps with 3300uF. Maybe they make up 4 the capacitance with solid caps by putting them in series.
    Have a look at this, please:

http://edc.sanyo.com/english/pdf/osc...scon_basic.pdf

I bet this completely re vamps the phrase "bust a cap"

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Thakkerson View Post
    I bet this completely re vamps the phrase "bust a cap"
    And you redefine bumping.
    I KNOW MASSMAN DISLIKES YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by saaya
    yo yo... man, you gotta lose the beard... you look like a drunk :P
    Competition ranking: Better than the danes in everything I've ever entered.

Wanna look under my kilt?
    OMG thread necro
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123