Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Condenser suggestions

Xtreme Member

Condenser suggestions

Ok So far for my phase project I am going to be using a danfoss NF11FX, r404a, a chilly1 evap kit.

Now im wondering which condenser i should get and where i should get it? This is going to be a condenser that would suit a potentially high load quaddy machine and try to remain relatively quiet.

thanks.
    regards,
    Chicken

-150c Club Member
    Well relatively quiet, means bigger. Why? Bigger means a bigger fan, a bigger fan to get the same result, need only spin slower, so quieter.
    I'd say a nice huge condenser would do, but since you might want to stay smaller, a Chilly1 little Blue will do, though if you can find em, a cube condenser would be much better.

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

Xtreme Member
    right i get the whole "quieter means bigger" deal. anyone have an example picture of a cube condenser? i found a little blue on under-the-ice, but im wondering what my other options could be.

thanks NoL.
    regards,
    chicken.

-150c Club Member
    Well theres the thing. Chilly1 used to have these things, long ago, two years ago maybe? So I don't think you'll find any. Other options are moving to something like 8" x 10" x 2" (I have a bunch of condensers like that for larger loads)

Xtreme Member
    hmm, see the thing is, is that i was going to have it fit in an 9x9x18 sized enclosure under a custom MM case. Will the little blue suffice or will I run into problems with it?

-150c Club Member
    Little blue should be fine, push pull will help a little too.

I am Xtreme
    condensors are sized for total load they need to reject and get refrigerant being used to a few degrees below saturation temperature(sub-cooling) @ worst case atmospheric conditions you will encounter. Cpu load,heat of compression and piping loses(or gains)depends how you look at it
    The Laws of Thermodynamics say:

Zeroth Law: "You must play the game."
    First Law: "You can't win."
    Second Law: "You can't break even."
    Third Law: "You can't quit the game."

Do you wanna Play Thermodynamics ???????? I forgot "you must"

Xtreme Enthusiast
    How much are you willing to spend?

Quote Originally Posted by A HVAC friend of mine
    If Hannah was an air handler, I would be a condensing unit so I could open her TXV and pump my refrigerant through her evaporator coils.

Xtreme Member
    doesnt matter at this point. just trying to get an idea on how much i WILL NEED to spend. watcha got in mind?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaChicken View Post
    hmm, see the thing is, is that i was going to have it fit in an 9x9x18 sized enclosure under a custom MM case. Will the little blue suffice or will I run into problems with it?
    The "little blue" ones from Under the Ice are pretty nice, but, you will have a hard time getting one into an 18X8X8 case. You can do it, but you will be hard pressed getting an exhaust fan on the back of the case unless you mount the fan outside the case instead of inside (and you DO need to use an exhaust fan). Push/pull on the condenser definitely won't work in this situation. The other condensers Ron sells (the silver ones that are vapo sized) are much easier to get to fit in a regular size case; they just don't come with a fan like the blue ones.
    CPU's: E6700es, 950es (WR 6.1ghz) http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=186415

MB's: Asus P5WD2 Premium, DFI 975 X/G

Memory: Corsair PC5400UL

Video: ATI X800pro, ATI X1800XT, ATI X1900XTX

Xtreme Member
    well now that i think about it its the height of the enclosure that is the limiter. MM cases are square so i could put the condenser off on the other side of the cube in a separate enclosure and have the compressor and other stuff in the opposite side.

Scavenge a broken A/C and build your own?
    Processor - Xeon E3110, 4.2ghz
    Motherboard - Abit IP35-E
    Cooling - Custom Propane Direct Die System
    Ram - 4 Gig g.Skill
    Video Card - eVGA 8800GT 512MB, 740/1860/1100
    Power Supply - Sparkle/Fortron 550 Watt
    Sound Card - SB Audigy 4 Pro
    Audio - Sennheiser HD-580 / PIMETA Amp
    Hard Drives - 160gb WD 7200rpm
    Heatware

Xtreme Member
    I’m constantly thinking about this issue and considering a variety of condensers. I’m going to be experimenting with some automotive horizontal flow condensers soon and I’ll let you know about the results. These things are huge and should yield some interesting data. The unit below is actually out of BMW M5:

Xtreme Mentor
    They depend on a high frontal air velocity to work well.
    Bring back natural selection! No more warning lables!

The one and Only MG Pony

Xtreme Member
    Some of these models aren't mounted near the radiator or up front near the grill. They simply rely on a decent fan. The shier surface area these models offer will be very helpful as long as there is an efficient air mover positioned.

Xtreme Member
    One_servant, I was wondering if anyone had tried those; auto condensers are much, much easier to find than the "normal" HVAC ones, at least in my experience. Please do fill us in once you get it going!

Xtreme Member
    LUVE SVTF 75 is 18*18*6cm, the fan is 29dbA rated and it is able to "dissipate" (?) ~750w at standart testing conditions (30° ambient temps, 15 K delta, R404a)

Xtreme Cruncher
    I made one out of an automotive condenser. It was copper tho. I have another one laying around. I cut it up and used the u bends off of one side to put the other chunks together. I made a 2 row already but the next one might be bigger.
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Kayin View Post
    Should the RIAA ever target me, I will immediately forfeit US citizenship and move back to reservation, which has no extradition policy and would probably tell Whitey to get bent or we'll scalp you and take your women...
    Free Omastar!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    if you can find an A-coil from an AC system you can make a good sized unit

Xtreme Cruncher
    Whats an a-coil? I can get heater cores or evaporators for the Utilimaster body is anyone interested in seeing them? They could be used as a condenser and they are made of copper with aluminium fins.
    Should the RIAA ever target me, I will immediately forfeit US citizenship and move back to reservation, which has no extradition policy and would probably tell Whitey to get bent or we'll scalp you and take your women...
    Free Omastar!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Cruncher
    Nevermind they are $120 and $475. I'll let anyone know if I acquire one.
    Free Omastar!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Starkiller42 View Post
    One_servant, I was wondering if anyone had tried those; auto condensers are much, much easier to find than the "normal" HVAC ones, at least in my experience. Please do fill us in once you get it going!
    According to the engineering data I've studied these horizontal flow condensers are more efficient than the serpentine variety. What I cannot ascertain is whether that efficiency is directly related to flow rate or heat transfer. I'll keep you posted when I dig further into these documents...and I must say Starkiller, these are a lot easier to come by for less money...and if their performance is greater than the average serpentine then all I will have to sacrifice is a little space in my computer room.

Xtreme Cruncher
    They are more efficient because it is one row 2 at most. That means the heat from the first row of tubes is vented. In a thicker condenser the heat from the first row will pass over more tubes. If you had the same ammount of tube the flat one would remove the most heat but because of the thickness you can cool more in a smaller area.
    Free Omastar!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    That seems very logical to me. Less transfer between the unit's parts. Good call Long.

Xtreme Member
    hmm. all very interesting. IDK, im kinda limited for space. would hooking two condensers up , one right after the other work well?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast