Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help!!!! My Petras DC and Petras top just died!!!

Xtreme Member

Help!!!! My Petras DC and Petras top just died!!!

Just yesterday I was thinking just how reliable my water cooling rig was...today I turned on my system and low and behold the pump is doing nothing...nada...The system just turns itself off after about 15 seconds...thermal overload.
    There is no noise from the pump and banging on it does nothing!

What should I do???
    Do I have to drain the system or is the motor replaceable?
    The system has been up and running for 3 months only. No cloudyness no problems at all
    HELP!!!

Xtreme Legend
    man this happens all to often
    i should look into some backup pump before mine does the same
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

You should not run a system again without a redundant pump.

Xtreme Cruncher
    You will have to drain the system; Then take the pump apart.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was just some galvanic corrosion green goop; The ports in the DDC are fairly small. If it did fail; Send Petra a PM... I'm sure he would be interested if you find out what caused the failure.

Of course, Just double check it's plugged in.

If you do open it; Please post pictures...

And about the unreliability... I do recall Gabe Completely dismissing the whole "DDC's are unreliable" craze...

Use the power of your CPU and GPU to contribute to science! Become a member of one of the most competitive teams in the world of distributed computing, help find cures for diseases and various other charitable scientific causes. It's as simple as running a program! Go visit the World Community Grid and Folding at Home Forums for more information on these projects. CRUNCH 'N FOLD!

Xtreme Legend
    gabe is great but he still is a CEO of a company which makes money on these products. His response was not specific enough to instill much confidence in people having their doubts. In fact he said nothing significant did he
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

Xtreme Cruncher
    There's not allot to say if a product isn't defective... Just that.

Most of the people on here that complain about DDC reliability have never used one; Let alone actually seen one in person.

Plenty of people here have used DDC pumps for over a year with no problems.

Use the power of your CPU and GPU to contribute to science! Become a member of one of the most competitive teams in the world of distributed computing, help find cures for diseases and various other charitable scientific causes. It's as simple as running a program! Go visit the World Community Grid and Folding at Home Forums for more information on these projects. CRUNCH 'N FOLD!

Xtreme Cruncher
    I have one I bought about a month ago running 24/7 I hope it does not die. Mine says mcp-355 on it. I hope you did not hurt anything...

Xtreme Addict
    I would (did) have invested in a D5/MCP655 instead.
    Phenom 9950BE @ 3.24Ghz| ASUS M3A78-T | ASUS 4870 | 4gb G.SKILL DDR2-1000 |Silverstone Strider 600w ST60F| XFI Xtremegamer | Seagate 7200.10 320gb | Maxtor 200gb 7200rpm 16mb | Samsung 206BW | MCP655 | MCR320 | Apogee | MCW60 | MM U2-UFO |

A64 3800+ X2 AM2 @3.2Ghz| Biostar TF560 A2+ | 2gb Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 | Sapphire 3870 512mb | Aircooled inside a White MM-UFO Horizon |

Current Phenom overclock

Max Phenom overclock

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinbo03 View Post
    There's not allot to say if a product isn't defective... Just that.

Most of the people on here that complain about DDC reliability have never used one; Let alone actually seen one in person.

Plenty of people here have used DDC pumps for over a year with no problems.
    i agree man i hate people getting histerical as well

but there is some reason for concern as you do hear a lot about deaths of these pumps
    certainly more than any others including what gabe mentioned there
    he also indicated that DDC2 will die quicker

what i was saying is i want actual figures
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

I had one go out after 2 weeks of use. I don't know the total number of failures vs. units sold or any of that but I do know that my personal thoughts on this pump have been slightly tarnished.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Hmm I think I will order a D5/MCP655 as suggested, the MB I have you can not set it to shut down at a certain cpu temperature. I guess the CPU will thermal but it might not cut of in time...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmer411 View Post
    I would (did) have invested in a D5/MCP655 instead.
    qft
    Core2Duo E6600 @ 3.0 - Load @ 32c°| Gigabyte P35 DS3P | 2gb Crucial Ballistix Pc2-8500| eVGA 8800GTX| X-fi Fatal1ty | OCZ GameXStream 600w | Custom Watercooled | Custom-built Case

Dtek Fuzion | DD Maze4 Acetal | Swiftech MCR-320 | DD D5

3dMark01 3dMark05 3dMark06 Aq3 SuperPi

Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    I don't beleive in passive cooling.

Apparently these new blue impellered DDC's die as well...

My DDC-1 9W (black impeller) has been working fine for about a month so far, starts every time. I hope it stays that way - I really don't like the D5 much, it is ugly and the integrated perfectseal barbs look like crap IMO. Also the orientation for my loop setup is all wrong.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Seems the pumps that are failing are predominantly ones with modified tops from what I can see...dont hear of many people who leave the pump stock and run it and have it die :S

I personally run an mcp350 which has not died.

Xtreme Member
    Just get a device that monitors the pump flow

I'm using a Koolance TMS card and flow meter (and before anyone says they "suck" I've seen 0 pressure drop and it's been working for months without a hitch).

Anyway if the pump stops it will beep for x period of time before automatically shutting down the PC, forceably. So remember that there is a "chance" of data loss, if you are writing a file per se, but that's rare. It's better than losing a CPU or video card, or both.
    i7 920@4.0 Ghz | Asus Rampage III Extreme | 12GB Corsair Dominator 15000
    ATI Radeon 5870 x2 | Samsung LN55B650 55" 1080p + Samsung LT4665N 46" 1080p LCD TVs
    Koolance CPU-350/Vid-AR587 on Koolance ERM-2K3U
    Zalman HD160XT HTPC | Intel X25-M 160GB SSD + 2x VelociRaptors | Thermaltake Toughpower 1200w PSU

Quote Originally Posted by Frag_Lord View Post
    Seems the pumps that are failing are predominantly ones with modified tops from what I can see...dont hear of many people who leave the pump stock and run it and have it die :S

I personally run an mcp350 which has not died.
    Actually I've heard of DDCs with stock tops dying as well.
    The Cardboard Master
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

But no where near as common as ones with modified tops is my point.

Xtreme Addict
    Bah i have mine running with Petra's top since 6 months or so. Hope it stays that way!
    • - Asus P8Z68-V PRO
    • - Intel I5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz (for now)
    • - Asus Geforce 580GTX DirectCUII Fermi
    • - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile
    • - Ultra X3 1000 Watt
    • - Asus Xonar DX 7.1 \ Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX
    • - Corsair Vengeance 1300 Gaming Headset
    • - Crucial M4 SSD 128GB \ WD Caviar Black 1TB
    • - CoolerMaster 690II Advanced
    • - Dell UltraSharp 24''
    • - Noctua NH-D14

January - SLI Rig Of The Month (2008)

Xtreme Cruncher
    I hear that Patriote, I have two DDC2's with Petra's tops in my Horizon, and they both start up every time. Been running for a few months now. I just bought 4 more from Hard H2O also, so we'll see if any of them fail. Maybe we're blessed because we have those maroon forum names? :P Yeah that's right guys, start crunching and your DDC2's won't die! Karma or something, who knows.
    Main Rig:
    Q6600 G0 @3.7ghz 1.425V - EVGA 680i A1 (Vdroop mod) - 4GB G.Skill HZ DDR2-800 @1000mhz - EVGA 8800 Ultra SLI @710/2460mhz - 2x WD Raptor X 150GB RAID 0 - 2x WD 500GB RAID 1 - 1x WD 320GB eSATA External - SB X-Fi XtremeMusic - Enermax Galaxy DXX 1000W - NEC 16X DVD±RW DL - 2x Dell 2405FPW (Dual monitor w/ SLI!) - ATI Radeon X300 - MM U2-UFO Horizon
    Dual loops:
    D-Tek FuZion (Bowed) - PA120.3 - Dual DDC2+ w/ PT tops - Swiftech MicroRes - Distilled w/ Red UV dye
    2x EK FC8800 - DD680i NB - PA120.2 - Dual DDC2+ w/ PT tops - Swiftech MicroRes - G11 UV
    Temps: 28-29degC idle / 46-48degC load with MX-2! Pics of my build!

Dedicated Cruncher:
    Lapped E6600 @3.6ghz - MSI P35 Platinum - 2GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 @933mhz - MSI 8500GT - 320GB WD - Lapped Big Typhoon - Seasonic M12 700W

Xtreme Member
    get a MCP655 and you'll sleep better at night

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Out of 4 DDCs working for 5-6 months 2 of them developed the start up problem. And unless you knock them they would not start which is still very annoying ofc.
    Hardware :Asus Rampage Extreme, 4870X2 (Crossfire X) EK FC Blocks, CPU Q9550@490FSB/4,180Ghz, RAM 4GB DDR3, Auzentech Prelude X-fi,PSU - Thermaltake Toughpower 1200 Watt,
    3 Loops with TFCs360 and a PA.120.2/DDCs.

Sure enough lots of people are just talking, but I'm the living proof that
    DDC2 can die, not once but twice on you. I'm still waiting for my D5 replacement, I'll never buy a DDC2 ever again. NEVER.

Xtreme Member
    Is there anyway to do automatic shutdown on the pc when the pump fail?,may be via software that monitor the pump rpm,so i can leave the computer without being worry in any case my ddc pump fail when i'm not around?.Just browse throught the bios mb can find any setting related to rpm monitor that will do automatic shutdown,it's just only check for boot only,btw i'm using p5b deluxe.
    I'm using DDC 2 with petra top,just being worry after seeing some of them failed.

Typically from what I've seen when the DDC fails it fails to start. While it is running it is fine. I've only heard a random report here and there of the DDC failing while running.
    The Cardboard Master

Hamster Powered
    The DDC-2 is as Cathar stated almost the perfect pump. I have lost one after approx 6 months of running and have the replacement DDC-2 running now. I also have a D5 in one of my servers and it has been rock solid for over a year.

My hope is that Laing gets the bugs worked out and comes out with a DDC-4 that has the power of the DDC-2 but with excellent reliability. If that does not happen and my DDC-2 dies I will most likely go to an Iwaki @18v. I just wish that you did not have to have the huge converter to run them.
    XSWCG Disclaimer:
    We are not responsible for the large sums of money that you WILL want to spend to upgrade and add additional equipment. This is an addiction and the forum takes no responsibility morally or financially for the equipment and therapy cost. Thank you and have a great day.

Sigmund Freud said... "Failure to CRUNCH is a sign of Sexual Inadequacies".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast