Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is using 100% Distilled water safe ??

Xtreme Addict

Is using 100% Distilled water safe ??

Hey ppl, as the title states,

i will be building my WC setup in a few days, n i didnt get any of the PT nuke or Pentosin G11, n i dunno if these things avaiable here locally, so i m just stuck with Distilled water n Anti-Algae Fluids(that we use in Fish tanks)

So my Question, Is it unsafe to use 100% Distilled water in a loop ? my Case might be exposed to continuous light. I can hide my Res in a dark place if possible.

Just help me out

TIA
    ANP
    Sound: Asus Essense ST | Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 | Norge 2060 Stereo amp | Wharfedale SW150 sub (coming soon)
    Camera Gear: Canon 6D | Canon 500D | Canon 17-40L | Canon 24-105L | Canon 50mm f1.4 | Canon 85mm f1.8 | Rokinon 14mm f2.8 | Sigma 10-20EX HSM | Benro A3580F + Vanguard SBH250 | Bag full of filters and stuff

Xtreme Member
    not a good idea

Xtreme Addict
    how about 95% Distilled water + 5% Car coolant ?? i have seen several ppl successfully running this.
    Sound: Asus Essense ST | Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 | Norge 2060 Stereo amp | Wharfedale SW150 sub (coming soon)
    Camera Gear: Canon 6D | Canon 500D | Canon 17-40L | Canon 24-105L | Canon 50mm f1.4 | Canon 85mm f1.8 | Rokinon 14mm f2.8 | Sigma 10-20EX HSM | Benro A3580F + Vanguard SBH250 | Bag full of filters and stuff

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ANP !!! View Post
    how about 95% Distilled water + 5% Car coolant ?? i have seen several ppl successfully running this.

here im using Distilled water + car coolant with a bit of antifungal, You can use the samething you would use on your fish tanks.. They are cheap and Im sure you can find them locally (prevents algae growth

"WW3 will be fought with nukes, WW4 will be fought with rocks!":

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I have been using 100% Water For Injection (WFI) for months now and all is fine in all of my 3 loops.
    Hardware :Asus Rampage Extreme, 4870X2 (Crossfire X) EK FC Blocks, CPU Q9550@490FSB/4,180Ghz, RAM 4GB DDR3, Auzentech Prelude X-fi,PSU - Thermaltake Toughpower 1200 Watt,
    3 Loops with TFCs360 and a PA.120.2/DDCs.

Xtreme Cruncher
    so i m just stuck with Distilled water n Anti-Algae Fluids(that we use in Fish tanks)
    If you use some that Anti-Algae you should be good to go.

I use Pure Distilled with a few drops of anti-algae for use in small water basins.

And no it does not contain Chlor
    Watercool Project! (Check it out!) (New update: 25/07-2007: Pics of costom made RAM-cooler + lapjob)

System:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 @ 3600 MHz, 1.52 Vcore
    Asus P5K Deluxe
    Crucial Tenth Anniversary PC-5300 2 x 1024 Mb @ 900 MHz, 4-4-4-9, 2.05 Vdimm (Costom cooled)
    Inno3D 8800 GTS 640 Mb @ 648/1512/1021
    Corsair HX520W
    2 x WD Raptor 74 Gb (RAID0)
    Antec P180B (3 x Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E @ ~ 10 V)
    Samsung SyncMaster 226BW 22"
    Sunbeam Rheobus

Watercooling:
    Swiftec Apogee GTX (Bowed)
    Swiftec MCW60 (Swiftec MC14 and MC21 ramsinks)
    Thermochill PA120.3 (3 x Shakoon Silent Eagle 2000 @ ~ 6.5 V)
    Laing DCC-2 18W (Aplhacool top)
    EK Multioption 150
    Masterkleer 7/16" ID
    EK High-Flow fittings

Xtreme Member
    No its not safe but people have done it with success.

If your loop is completely one metal (IE: All aluminum or all copper, etc) then you can just use 95% distilled and 5% PT_Nuke.

I like the look of clear water
    E6300 @ 3.6 1.5v
    Asus P5B-Deluxe
    2GB (1GBX2) Crucial Ballistix PC2-8000 4-4-4-15 2.4v
    Evga 8800GTS 320MB Superclocked
    320GB Maxtor 7200.10 SATA
    250MB Western Digital Caviar SATA
    80GB Seagate 7200.7 SATA
    Thermaltake Armor

Swiftech MCR220-QP
    Swiftech Micro-Res
    Swiftech MCP665
    D-Tek FuZion
    Masterkleer 7/16" Tubing

Xtreme Addict
    Thx for the reply guys , much appreciated

My WC specs are in my Sig

I dont live in the US, so ordering from Petra will be a pain, when just ordering 2 bottles of PT_nuke/Pentosin. I m looking for a alternative mixture.

So 95% Distilled water + 5% Car coolant + few drop of Anti Algae = I will be all fine right ??

Quote Originally Posted by GrimReaper View Post
    here im using Distilled water + car coolant with a bit of antifungal, You can use the samething you would use on your fish tanks.. They are cheap and Im sure you can find them locally (prevents algae growth
    Wht type of Distilled Water : Car coolant Ratio u use ?? u had any problems that u would like to share ??
    Last edited by ANP !!!; 07-10-2007 at 10:15 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thx for the reply guys

My WC specs are in my Sig

I dont live in the US, so ordering from Petra will be a pain, when just ordering 2 bottles of PT_nuke/Pentosin. I m looking for a alternative mixture.

So 95% Distilled water + 5% Car coolant + few drop of Anti Algae = I will be all fine right ??
    yup thats what i been using for the last 3 months, p.s I have a 120.3 and a GTX 240 make sure you get the Anti algae from your local shop that sells fish tanks

Banned
    Don't use any car coolant. Use the 100&#37; distilled with the Anti-Algae and you'll be fine. Your loop isn't mixing metals therefore you DO NOT NEED anything that will slow down Galvanic Corrosion (mixed metals eating each other). Iany and I beleive Aussiejester<-- sorry if that's not the right name, used like a 2~5% mix of clorox aka harpic with very good results.

Again, you'll be completely fine without adding any car coolant, Zerex, Hydrex, whatever since you're not mixing metals. Just be sure to use something that'll prevent the algae.

Quote Originally Posted by Baleful View Post
    Don't use any car coolant. Use the 100&#37; distilled with the Anti-Algae and you'll be fine. Your loop isn't mixing metals therefore you DO NOT NEED anything that will slow down Galvanic Corrosion (mixed metals eating each other). Iany and I beleive Aussiejester<-- sorry if that's not the right name, used like a 2~5% mix of clorox aka harpic with very good results.

Again, you'll be completely fine without adding any car coolant, Zerex, Hydrex, whatever since you're not mixing metals. Just be sure to use something that'll prevent the algae.
    OOOooo.. now you have to die!

BTW.. its 1% to 2%, with 1% being better than 2%. I really dig that guy who used 50% so that he could get a pretty blue color rofl

Xtreme Member
    when you say no mixed metals eating each other...barbs are probably nickel plated or stainless and your rad is probably brass. There's 2 metals for u straight off. Not as greater electronegativity difference as copper and alu granted. Still mixed metals though aint it.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jarman View Post
    when you say no mixed metals eating each other...barbs are probably nickel plated or stainless and your rad is probably brass. There's 2 metals for u straight off. Not as greater electronegativity difference as copper and alu granted. Still mixed metals though aint it.
    thats the reason I use a Car coolant!

Banned
    He's using a Thermochill, which is copper. As for the barbs..... don't worry about it, use the stuff that comes with it and you're alright. Nickel plated brass is fine to put in the loop... people do it all day long with no problems. A few days ago, someone posted a Galvanic Corrosion chart, i'll see if I can find it and post it in here.

Banned
    Here you guy, thanks Agent11 for finding this.

http://www.metal-mart.com/Guides/Galvanic.htm

The further away the two metals are, the more prone to Galvanic Corrosion they will be.

I am Xtreme
    not a good idea
    I disagree. I've only ever used 100% Reverse Osmosis water. I just took my loop apart after being used for ~ 3 months, water came out perfectly clear. Almost drinkable

Xtreme Member
    The only thing you need besides distilled water is a little bit of algaecide.. You need nothing else if you have a copper loop and aren't using a chiller.

The steel used in watercooling is passive(at least it should be), so it will not cause galvanic corrosion.. And if the nickel causes corrosion, it is less noble than copper so the only thing you are risking is your pretty nickel finish :P

Personally I have a bit of orange UV active dye aswell, not too much though.

You don't need to spend the money on these pre mixed solutions. Just get some dye( I use A.C.Ryan) if you like the look, distilled water and some ptNuke from petras..

I think algaecide is needed because spores are everywhere, there is no way you can know if your components picked them up on their way to you or if they will even pick them up in your house.

Of course you may have an Ionic breeze in every corner of every room of your house and a positive air pressure for all I know :P
    Last edited by Agent11; 07-10-2007 at 07:36 PM.
    "Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear."
    Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

XIP - can sit on his hair
    Be careful with using off-the-shelf antialgae solutions and additives at random that are not designed for the task...

See HERE for some examples of the potential hazards...

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Marci View Post
    Be careful with using off-the-shelf antialgae solutions and additives at random that are not designed for the task...

See HERE for some examples of the potential hazards...
    marci,

what would you say the best coolant is or the best mix of things to make the coolant the best performance wise?

Ive got about 5 bottles of HydrX for a couple PCs here not yet setup with WC.

XIP - can sit on his hair
    *shrug* Ask a chemist... 100&#37; distilled here, no additives.

Xtreme Mentor
    ANP
    You may find Tectaloy corrosion inhibitor in Surat.
    If there's no light getting to your liquid algae should be little problem.
    I'd suggest demineralized water in a 10&#37; solution with Tectaloy corrosion inhibitor and a local algacide (napisan maybe) if you've UV lights and such.
    If no light, just the demineralized water in a 10% solution with Tectaloy.
    But heaps of guys get by with distilled water only.

Xtreme Addict
    Hey thx a Ton guys , It helped me a lot

I will make sure the Anti-algae is pretty much design for my use, thx Marci

I will be using 100&#37; Distilled water with some Tectaloy (thx Jedda ) n a few drop of a good Anti-algae fluid (Napisan right ?) .

I will post my experience here, once i assemble everything up

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Marci View Post
    *shrug* Ask a chemist... 100% distilled here, no additives.
    Hmm Im going to assume thats with the Tygon 2075 ?

Barbs are nickel plated or chrome plated brass typically. The chrome, nickel, copper, and brass are close enough to each other that the corrosion won't really happen fast enough to worry about. We are talking years. The chrome for example is the farthest away from the others in the chart but it is towards the noble side, so it won't be a problem.

I'm just running distilled + few drops PT nuke + UV dye.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Member
    100% distilled with no additives here also. Never had any issues with any kind of growth as far as algae and whatever else is supposed to be able to live in water cooling loops. When I drain & refill my loop, the water is as clear & clean looking as the day I filled it. I know the jets on my Storm appreciate it. HEHE
    • CoolerMaster Stacker Case - Silver (STC-T01-UW)
    • DFI LanParty UT CFX3200 (BIOS 2006/07/28)
    • Opteron 185 @ 3.015GHz (1.425v's)
    • OCZ 1GB (2x512) PC3200 EL Dual Channel Platinum
    • Creative Audigy2 ZS Platinum
    • One Seagate 250GB Barracuda 7200.9 3GB SATA
    • Two SATA WD800JD's RAID 0 Array
    • OCZ 700watt GameXStream
    • Sapphire X1900 Crossfire Master Card
    • Sapphire X1900XTX
    • PolarFloTT(Laing) D-4 (in front of a...)
    • DDC-Rev.2 w\Petras' Top
    • Storm Rev.2 & DD Maze 4's w\OCZ Ram Sinks
    • Quad 120.4 Radiator\Heater Core 10"x10"x3" w\ four 120mm Panaflos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast