Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Noob question:(

Noob question:(

I'm at a bit of a loss at this point and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I just finished my first real water cooling setup and my temps are no were near what I was hoping for. Searching through threads for similar specs there seems to be something wrong and my temps are too high

Specs:

1 Loop with CPU only
    e6600 402x9, 1.525v 1.47v min w/ vdroop
    DS3
    4gb Patriot Extreme 2x2GB Only good to 405 do to a weak stick
    Apogee GTX ( Bowed )
    MCP655
    2xMCR320-QP-K in series
    Micro Res
    6x120mm ( Evercool EC12025M12C )@12v
    1/2"ID Tubing
    P180
    1/9 ( G11/water +2 drops of algae killer )

Difference between load and idle temps are between 10C-12C. My system now boots 10C higher then default settings.

My goal was to hit 3.6 and drop my fans to 7v. I know the 2 rads are overkill but I figured I 'd be trying a quad core soon enough and wanted to be prepared.

Everything is top mounted. I have rechecked the rads at least 3 times and have rotated them in every direction in an attempt to find any trapped air. I have also tried both MX-1 as well as AC5, reseating twice with each compound. Neither have sat for more then a day so I know temps will drop a couple degrees over 3 days but not enough to get me were I want. I also rechecked how I seated the bowed block to be sure it was going across both cores.

What do you think I'm doing wrong?
    Last edited by Boxcar; 07-02-2007 at 02:20 PM. Reason: wrong temps

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    I'm at a bit of a loss at this point and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I just finished my first real water cooling setup and my temps are no were near what I was hoping for. Searching through threads for similar specs there seems to be something wrong and my temps are too high

Specs:

1 Loop with CPU only
    e6600 402x9, 1.525v 1.47v min w/ vdroop
    DS3
    4gb Patriot Extreme 2x2GB Only good to 405 do to a weak stick
    Apogee GTX ( Bowed )
    MCP655
    2xMCR320-QP-K in series
    Micro Res
    6x120mm ( Evercool EC12025M12C )@12v
    1/2"ID Tubing
    P180
    1/9 ( G11/water +2 drops of algae killer )

Difference between load and idle temps are between 15C-20C.

My goal was to hit 3.6 and drop my fans to 7v. I know the 2 rads are overkill but I figured I 'd be trying a quad core soon enough and wanted to be prepared.

Everything is top mounted. I have rechecked the rads at least 3 times and have rotated them in every direction in an attempt to find any trapped air. I have also tried both MX-1 as well as AC5, reseating twice with each compound. Neither have sat for more then a day so I know temps will drop a couple degrees over 3 days but not enough to get me were I want. I also rechecked how I seated the bowed block to be sure it was going across both cores.

What do you think I'm doing wrong?
    It'd help if you provided load, idle, and ambient. The delta helps, but could you also provide the rough layout as well.
    MM Extended U2-UFO CYO (Duality front, Standard back, Horizontal Mobo brace) Anodized Black || eVGA X58 || Intel i7 920 || 6 GB Corsair Dominator PC3-12800|| eVGA 295GTX || Asus Xonar Essence STX || VisionTek 650 TV Tuner || 1 300GB WD Velociraptor || 1TB WD's Black Ed. || LG 22X DVD-Writer || Lite-On 20x DVD-Writer || Corsair CMPSU-1000HX PSU

CPU Loop: DDC-2 w/ XSPC Reservoir Top -> Swiftech GTZ -> Thermochill PA120.3 (Push: 3 Scythe S-Flex G)

GPU Loop: DDC-2 w/ XSPC Reservoir Top -> (Koolance VID-NX295 FC block) ->Thermochill PA120.3 (Push: 3 Scythe S-Flex G)

Chipset Loop: DDC-2 w/ XSPC Reservoir Top -> Alphacool Silentstar Dual HD waterblock enclosure -> Bitspower Black Freezer eVGA x58 MOSFET-> Bitspower Black Freezer eVGA x58 NB -> Thermochill PA120.2 (Pull: 2 Scythe S-Flex G)

2 x Dell 2408FPW LCD || Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 || Logitech G9 Mouse || Logitech G15 LCD Keyboard || Logitech Quickcam Ultravision || Sennheiser Headphones

Quote Originally Posted by ranker View Post
    It'd help if you provided load, idle, and ambient. The delta helps, but could you also provide the rough layout as well.
    I'm not sure what ambient is in here. Idle is about 47C and load is about 59C. At default settings idle is about 35C-38C if that helps.

I've seen other systems on here with the same volts, block, and 1 rad only having a 4-5C rise at load.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    maybe it could be your pump is not strong enough to push threw to mcr320 rad's how good is your flow
    MY RIG: BLUE DEVIL
    CASE*BLACK SILVERSTONE TJ07-MODIFIED
    MONITER*32-INCH SAMSUNG WIDESCREEN LCD TV
    OS*MICROSOFT XP HOME EDITION SP3
    MB*GIGABYTE P35-DQ6 F9B BIOS
    CPU*INTEL E7200 3.6GHZ 1.3v
    RAM*2GB G.SKILL PK PC8500**DEAD**
    PSU*PC POWER&COOLING BLACK QUAD 750W
    HD*SATA MAXTOR 150GB 8MB CACHE & SATA WD 250 GB 16MB CACHE
    GPU*GIGABYTE HD4670 @ 811/1100
    MY WATERCOOLING SETUP
    CPU*SWIFTECH APOGEE GTZ
    PUMP*SWIFTECH MCP 655
    RAD*SWIFTECH MCR320 W/ 3 SCYTHE ULTRA KAZE MED. SPEED
    RES*T-LINE
    TUBING*DURELENE PVC
    COOLANT*DISTILLED WATER & PT NUKE

WORKLOG-Blue Devil TJ07

Quote Originally Posted by louie101086 View Post
    maybe it could be your pump is not strong enough to push threw to mcr320 rad's how good is your flow
    It seems pretty strong. I had to fill it 3/4 of the way up other wise it would create a whirlpool and start drawing air into the pump.

Xtreme Member
    Thats what I was thinking.
    E6300 @ 3.6 1.5v
    Asus P5B-Deluxe
    2GB (1GBX2) Crucial Ballistix PC2-8000 4-4-4-15 2.4v
    Evga 8800GTS 320MB Superclocked
    320GB Maxtor 7200.10 SATA
    250MB Western Digital Caviar SATA
    80GB Seagate 7200.7 SATA
    Thermaltake Armor

Swiftech MCR220-QP
    Swiftech Micro-Res
    Swiftech MCP665
    D-Tek FuZion
    Masterkleer 7/16" Tubing

Quote Originally Posted by Riddlinkidstone View Post
    Thats what I was thinking.
    That's what I was afraid off too. However I saw a really sic build on here that involved the same pump, 2 rads ( 1 2x120, 1 3x120 ) and more blocks that ran more then fine. I figured without the extra blocks I would be OK.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    I'm not sure what ambient is in here. Idle is about 47C and load is about 59C. At default settings idle is about 35C-38C if that helps.

I've seen other systems on here with the same volts, block, and 1 rad only having a 4-5C rise at load.
    never have i seen a system rise 4-5c at load least ive seen is maybe 10-15c at least your temps dont seem that bad they could be better maybe you should fill res to max and empty all air out of rads
    MY RIG: BLUE DEVIL
    CASE*BLACK SILVERSTONE TJ07-MODIFIED
    MONITER*32-INCH SAMSUNG WIDESCREEN LCD TV
    OS*MICROSOFT XP HOME EDITION SP3
    MB*GIGABYTE P35-DQ6 F9B BIOS
    CPU*INTEL E7200 3.6GHZ 1.3v
    RAM*2GB G.SKILL PK PC8500**DEAD**
    PSU*PC POWER&COOLING BLACK QUAD 750W
    HD*SATA MAXTOR 150GB 8MB CACHE & SATA WD 250 GB 16MB CACHE
    GPU*GIGABYTE HD4670 @ 811/1100
    MY WATERCOOLING SETUP
    CPU*SWIFTECH APOGEE GTZ
    PUMP*SWIFTECH MCP 655
    RAD*SWIFTECH MCR320 W/ 3 SCYTHE ULTRA KAZE MED. SPEED
    RES*T-LINE
    TUBING*DURELENE PVC
    COOLANT*DISTILLED WATER & PT NUKE

WORKLOG-Blue Devil TJ07

never have i seen a system rise 4-5c at load least ive seen is maybe 10-15c at least your temps dont seem that bad they could be better maybe you should fill res to max and empty all air out of rads
    Maybe some of the posters were exaggerating a bit? I already checked the rads and cpu again before posting. Been going through this forum for about a month now trying to learn all I could before making my purchase. This forum has some great stickies!

Xtreme Cruncher
    I would guess that your CPU is concave so the bow is actually making worse contact. If you are comfortable with it I'd recommend lapping your CPU.

Xtreme Cruncher
    The bow is to counter-act the concave IHS. You mean convex.

So I messed with it some more last night. I grabbed the giant tube of AC5 from my work supplies and drenched the CPU, put it back together and let it cook for a while. I found out my bow on the block was off by a couple millimeters. I adjusted it accordingly and was able to drop my temps a little. Now there's only a 10-11C max rise. The problem is that there is still a 10C rise between default settings and my overclock. So my system boots at 47-50C and tops out at 57-58C. Is there any way to get my idle temp down? I would still really like to drop the fans to 7v but it would put the system temps above the recommended temp for my pump at load.

Quote Originally Posted by Deux View Post
    I would guess that your CPU is concave so the bow is actually making worse contact. If you are comfortable with it I'd recommend lapping your CPU.
    Figured I'd only have it until the end of the year and was afraid of being able to sell it when I'm done if I lap it. Only thing that seems to matter is heatware in the for sale sections and I have very little. If I'm wrong I'm willing to give it a shot. It's not like I have to worry about bending pins

Xtreme Enthusiast
    What were your temps with with air? That might help us determine if you have a good CPU to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by quicksilverXP View Post
    What were your temps with with air? That might help us determine if you have a good CPU to begin with.
    I never had a HSF on this setup. I started with a coolit eliminator. It worked great for 1.45v and lower but anything above that and it couldn't cope with the heat.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    WTF you drenched your CPU with paste???

It is supposed to be a rice sized drop... you should change that immediately.

Also use MX-1
    For the record I am not sick, nor am I a gamer, nor am I a sick gamer. That name just sounds really cool to me but dont put me under that stereotype at all.

nevermind... addicted to COD4 and Free Online Games baby!

It's definitely a work in progress so please excuse the mess. I need to finish the cover so it lays flat and clean up the wiring.

Quote Originally Posted by sick_g4m3r View Post
    WTF you drenched your CPU with paste???

It is supposed to be a rice sized drop... you should change that immediately.

Also use MX-1
    LOL just to find out were the bow was sitting. Don't worry I may not be an over clocker or a water cooling expert but I have a good amount of experience with general hardware and electronic repairs.

Banned
    The problem has to be with the contact being made. Try remounting it, if that dosn't help you may want to buy another WB since that one has been bowed. I'm with Duex on this one, I think your IHS is convex therefore making horrible contact with your WB. If you happen to have another WB laying around, throw it in there and see what it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Baleful View Post
    The problem has to be with the contact being made. Try remounting it, if that dosn't help you may want to buy another WB since that one has been bowed. I'm with Duex on this one, I think your IHS is convex therefore making horrible contact with your WB. If you happen to have another WB laying around, throw it in there and see what it does.
    Thanks for the help! I guess I'll try and make it over to NAPA this week for some sand paper.

Obviously I didn't read up on the consequences of bowing the block. I didn't realize it couldn't be undone

Edit: I guess that would also explain why I was able to pick up my e6600 for cheap.

Banned
    Did you buy this 6600 second hand or retail? If you bought it second hand it could be flawed.

Quote Originally Posted by Baleful View Post
    Did you buy this 6600 second hand or retail? If you bought it second hand it could be flawed.
    Yes I bought it used for $150 when they were still selling for about 200 on the forums. If it is flawed I'm still happy with the savings Hit 3.6 which was my goal for playing around.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    thats a really really nice setup. I am guessing a lapping of the CPU will fix your problems
    For the record I am not sick, nor am I a gamer, nor am I a sick gamer. That name just sounds really cool to me but dont put me under that stereotype at all.

nevermind... addicted to COD4 and Free Online Games baby!

Quote Originally Posted by sick_g4m3r View Post
    thats a really really nice setup. I am guessing a lapping of the CPU will fix your problems
    Thank you! Hopefully that will fix the problem. I should know by tomorrow

Xtreme Mentor
    Get a TEC block.

For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast