Thread: Overclocking E6600 with Striker Extreme

Overclocking E6600 with Striker Extreme

Hey everyone, i need some help overclocking my cpu a little more...its currently @ 3.38GHz-(core temp 1.35vcore) and my temps are 35idle and 42 load using a Zalman 9500 LED...Here's my Specs:

ASUS Striker Extreme 1102 BIOS
    2GB Corsair Dominator PC2 8500 DDR21066 @2.2v (with Airflow fan)
    2x 74GB Raptors in Raid 0
    2x EVGA 8800GTX
    Silverstone 1000 Watt Powersupply..

Now i've seen people with similar specs and getting a better overclock using air cooling..? The system boots @ 3.6GHz but when i run sp2004 the second core fails within 5 seconds and the first core continues...even when i drop it to 3.5GHz i get the same thing the second core fails after 2-5 seconds...Is there anything else i can do to get this thing stable ..?

Have you increased the vcore at all? If you have an E6600 that runs a stock voltage of 1.35v you need to increase it a little more. Just keep an eye on load temps though. The striker extreme motherboard isnt easy to getting running well, but when you find mess with all the voltages and settings enough you will find it flies. At that sort of FSB though I would be changing the cpu VTT and 1.2HT voltages, theres plenty of templates around so you can see what voltages others use at higher FSB speeds. If increasing the vcore and other voltages doesnt help, try running the FSB/mem in linked mode, as sometimes issues occur with dominator ram (I have the striker + dominator ram and beleive me it took me AGES to get mine running stable). But to me it just looks like you need to increase the voltages for stability.
    Gaming: { ASUS STRIKER EXTREME -=- C2D E6600 -=- Corsair DOMINATOR TWIN2X2048-6400C4D -=- Silverstone ST85ZF 850w -=- Dell 2405FPW -=- G15 + Copperhead -=- X-Fi Platinum -=- Z-5500 Digital }

Server: { Gigabyte 965-DS3 Pro v3.3 -=- Core 2 Duo E4300 -=- 2Gb DDR800 -=- 2.8TB HDD -=- CM Stacker 830 Evo -=- Silverstone ST85ZF 850w }

I am Xtreme
    First I would drop the multi to 8X to see the board handles the FSB well (make sure you cool the NB with an extra fan as it gets scorching hot)

The Vcore will drop to 1.45 or so when setting 1.5 in the bios; this should be surely good till 3.4 ghz or so, for 3.6 you might need to up the Vcore to eg 1.575 to get 1.53 real or so ( if you have a bad batch nr ), but keep an eye on ya coretemps plz when overclocking , keep them below 65°C for maximum safety....

AI Tuning: Manual
    Nvidia GPU Ex: Disabled
    LinkBoost: Disabled

FSB - Memory Clock Mode: Unlinked
    x FSB - Memory Raio: N/A
    FSB (QDR), Mhz: 1600 (means 400FSB)
    Actual FSB (QDR), Mhz: 1600
    MEM (DDR), Mhz: 1066 (means 533mhz speeds)
    Actual MEM (DDR), Mhz: 1066

Vcore Voltage: 1.5
    Memory Voltage:2.2
    1.2v HT Voltage:1.45
    NB Core Voltage:1.5
    SB Core Voltage:1.55
    CPU VTT Voltage:1.5
    DDRII Controller Ref Voltage:auto
    DDRII Channel A Ref Voltage:auto
    DDRII Channel B Ref Voltage:auto

tCL (CAS Latency): 5
    tRCD: 5
    tRP: 5
    tRAS: 15
    Command Per Clock (CMD): 2 clock (2T)

Advance Memory Settings
    tRRD: AUTO
    tRC: AUTO
    tWR: AUTO
    tWTR: AUTO
    tREF: AUTO
    tRD: AUTO
    tRFC: AUTO
    Async Latency: AUTO

CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
    PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled
    MCP PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled
    SATA Spread Spectrum: Disabled
    LDT Spread Spectrum: Disabled

CPU Internal Thermal Control: Disabled
    Limit CPUID MaxVal: Disabled
    Enhanced C1 (C1E): Disabled
    Execute Disable Bit: Disabled
    Virtualization Technology: Disabled
    Enhanced Intel Speedstep Tech: Disabled
    LDT Frequency: 5x

PCIEX16_1 Frequency (Mhz): 100
    PCIEX16_2 Frequency (Mhz): 100
    PCIEX16_3 Frequency (Mhz): 100
    SPP<->MCP Ref Clock, Mhz: 200
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

I am Xtreme
    New bios out as well 1202, will flash this week when I'm at home

thanks guys...i tried everything and the second core is still failing orthos i just get it ....and its b2 revision..my temps aren't bad while under load or idle using the zalman 9500 LED fan...its not staying stable over 3.4GHz...and i know its capable of doing better....thanks for your help everyone....

Xtreme Member
    Get rid of couple of things:
    1-Asus for the EVGA
    2-Corsair for Crucial
    3-9500 for 9700
    Then come back & ask for help.

you could loosen ram timings even more and run 1:1 (if you arent already) but you are probably so close to the limit at leeghoofd's settings that there is no point.

more voltage to the cpu plus water cooling is next.

...or reticulated liquid nitrogen
    Last edited by adamsleath; 06-28-2007 at 07:22 PM.
    i7 3610QM 1.2-3.2GHz

I am Xtreme
    What are your coretemps man not the ones you read out on eg Asus probe ?

if they stay below 55&#176;C maybe you can try eg 1.5250 volts and see if it's stable then... does it cap out immediately or is it after some time ?

B2 revision isn't your batch , look on ya box there should be something like 630F or 632a or even 744G and a load of other numbers after the FPO#