Thread: Differences

Xtreme Member

Differences

I'm setting up a budget build/upgrade. I will be getting a new case, mobo, cpu, ram for mobo, and power supply. The cpu I'm looking at is X2 3600 brisbane 1.9ghz. What confuses me is that the x2 3800 and x2 4000 pretty much have the same specs as the 3600 except higher clocks.

What is the difference between these processors except clock speeds?

Is the x2 3600 a good option for a budget build?

Is this board okay for decent overclocking? (nothing big)

Thanks

Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128045

Xtreme X.I.P.
    If they are all brisbane's then clock speed is the only difference. The 3600+ is an excellent option for budget builds.

I can't speak for the particular board you have listed, but this board was complete junk for overclocking: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128043

Unless someone else knows any better, I'd steer clear of gigabyte mATX boards if you plan to OC.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    get one of these, they oc very well, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16813138027R
    Asus Crosshair III
    Phenom X2 550@X4
    Cooler Master V10
    2x2gb G-SKILL DDR3
    ASUS HD 4890 Top
    Antec 850w
    WD 500gb
    WD 80gb

Xtreme Addict
    I had one of these and I know they will oc.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dogsx2 View Post
    I had one of these and I know they will oc.
    well, they don't make those boards anymore right?
    Asus Crosshair III
    Phenom X2 550@X4
    Cooler Master V10
    2x2gb G-SKILL DDR3
    ASUS HD 4890 Top
    Antec 850w
    WD 500gb
    WD 80gb

Xtreme Member
    I'd like to keep the boards under $70 and saw that biostar recommended on another thread. So if open box products are reliable I'll go for it. Can someone else confirm that this is a right thing to do? Should I just go for an E2140 build?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2k7zero View Post
    I'd like to keep the boards under $70 and saw that biostar recommended on another thread. So if open box products are reliable I'll go for it. Can someone else confirm that this is a right thing to do? Should I just go for an E2140 build?
    Go with whatever suits your needs.

This is the newer biostar tforce board: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813138074
    $76.12 after shipping, so just slightly over your $70 target. I would personally pick this board over the 6100.
    Last edited by shmaa; 06-24-2007 at 01:29 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Tbh i'm not looking for OCs like on the oc threads. This is for the family comp that'll tide me over to my real build. I'm looking for a board that'll function stably and can oc lightly. Nothing big, so if u have any other boards on you mind please say so. I don't like to throw away money for a board that provides more than i really need.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Tbh i'm not looking for OCs like on the oc threads. This is for the family comp that'll tide me over to my real build. I'm looking for a board that'll function stably and can oc lightly. Nothing big, so if u have any other boards on you mind please say so. I don't like to throw away money for a board that provides more than i really need.
    Fair enough.

That gigabyte you originally linked might be sufficient then. I was able to overclock a 3600+ brisbane to about 2.2ghz on the gigabyte 690 board. This was without any voltage options and for whatever reason the board seemed to hit a brick wall around 230 HTT... I'll chalk that up to a crappy bios not intended for overclocking.

If you do get that gigabyte, and its anything like the 690 board, you will have to hit ctrl-F1 in the bios to enable the overclocking menu... just a heads up on that.

Xtreme Member
    Ya, that kind of oc is what is good enough for me. Then again if it's safe to get open box products I might as well get that biostar. What do u think?

Xtreme Member
    @shmaa- i'm going to go with the first board u recommended me since it's only $7 more than the original i posted. Anything I should be aware of this board? Should I get the brisbane or windsor version for the 3600, only $1 difference?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    @shmaa- i'm going to go with the first board u recommended me since it's only $7 more than the original i posted. Anything I should be aware of this board? Should I get the brisbane or windsor version for the 3600, only $1 difference?
    Go for brisbane.

Are you referring to the Gigabyte board with the 690 chipset? I didn't spend too long messing with the board, but I don't recall anything in particular you'd need to be aware of. Seemed like a decent board... just wish it had better support for overclocking.