Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Swiftech Back Plates now Available!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by 96redformula7 View Post
    I got it today and already installed it.

What a pain to install in comparison to the original mount.
    really I thought it would be easier to install..why was it worse??

Hmm..I just noted you have an Apogee GT..wonder if the GTX will be an easier install
    My Heat
    i5 2500k @4.5ghz Raystorm
    Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 16gb(4x4) G.Skill PC12800 Ripjaws X
    x1900xt MCW60
    Rad: Thermochill PA120.3 3YL SL/ Pump: DDC2 w/ Petra's top 7/16in ID masterkleer
    Corsair 120gb Force GT SSD/ 1TB WD Black Caviar SATA
    X-Fi music/SH-203B/H62L/LH-20A1L
    Corsair HX620w /Acer AL2223W/modded TJ07

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nealh View Post
    really I thought it would be easier to install..why was it worse??

Hmm..I just noted you have an Apogee GT..wonder if the GTX will be an easier install
    lol...ummm no

its the same block, except the gtx has a larger space between the barb holes.

it will be the exact same to mount
    CPU: Lapped QX6700 @ 4000MHz, bench @ 4250MHz
    RAM: Teamgroup DDRII PC6400 @ 1066 cas5
    MOBO: eVGA 680i SLI
    VID: eVGA 8800GTX + Zotac 8800GTX SLI...GPU voltmodded....Memory voltmodded (both cards)
    BOOT Drive: Seagate 320GB 7200.10 RAID 0
    Storage Drive: Seagate 640GB 7200.11 RAID 1
    Samsung Super Write Master
    Coolermaster Real Power Pro 850W
    Custom Bench Table
    LaCie 19inch CRT

Single Stage Phase Change - CPU
    Water - VGA's

Chasing After Diety
    Guys i got my mount from michelle.

It came pretty fast, and i cant thank the guys at swiftech for the fast mail out.

The mount comes with screws and its a hard mount. Think of the MCW30 hard mount. It has no springs, and you basically screw the block onto the backplate. The backplate has its own nuts which will take the 4 screws it comes with. I guess thats why its called a hard mount. I wont have time to install it for a while, because i am not taking my loop apart to drop in a backplate that will give me almost 0 performance.

You guys will either have to wait for someone else to post any big results, but as for now, my TT backplate will stay on my main rig until i do a big maintance on her.

And yeah it does seem like a pain in the Butt to screw on. I might tweek it a little, and get longer screws and try to revese screw it and hold the plate with a nut on the board. Then drop the Block on top and use a nut the old fashion way. Either way, the backplate looks 100% identical to the scythe backplate, so either solution seems the same.
    Last edited by NaeKuh; 06-25-2007 at 05:41 PM.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    Guys i got my mount from michelle.

It came pretty fast, and i cant thank the guys at swiftech for the fast mail out.

The mount comes with screws and its a hard mount. Think of the MCW30 hard mount. It has no springs, and you basically screw the block onto the backplate. The backplate has its own nuts which will take the 4 screws it comes with. I guess thats why its called a hard mount. I wont have time to install it for a while, because i am not taking my loop apart to drop in a backplate that will give me almost 0 performance.

You guys will either have to wait for someone else to post any big results, but as for now, my TT backplate will stay on my main rig until i do a big maintance on her.

And yeah it does seem like a pain in the Butt to screw on. I might tweek it a little, and get longer screws and try to revese screw it and hold the plate with a nut on the board. Then drop the Block on top and use a nut the old fashion way. Either way, the backplate looks 100% identical to the scythe backplate, so either solution seems the same.
    but why would this harder to install....

I cant believe how fast Michelle got these shipped..asked one day and the next it was shipped...excellent service
    My Heat
    x1900xt MCW60
    Rad: Thermochill PA120.3 3YL SL/ Pump: DDC2 w/ Petra's top 7/16in ID masterkleer

Chasing After Diety
    but why would this harder to install....

I cant believe how fast Michelle got these shipped..asked one day and the next it was shipped...excellent service
    because neal, it looks like you would nee to apply some pressure on the screws for it to go in. Also, if you assume the board is going to be mounted inside the case, it would be a PITA to screw on sideways. I didnt like how the original apogee mounting system was. Think of it that way.

In all the easiest way to mount a waterblock i felt, was the DD style. Which is the most common style now. A bolt from behind the board secured by a nut on the board. The long screws then stick up and you slide the block over.

This mount requires you to match all the holes first b4 u put the block on top, then slide scerws on top of the block to the backplate. And i think the screws will be JUST enough to reach and be tightened slightly.

Neal, just goto your jab-tech history, and highlight the order invoice on there site. And then paste it on a email document, or take a screen shot of the invoice and email it to michelle. Mention your on XS, and it might help.

But yeah, they were incredibly fast. Definitely hats off to gabe and swiftech for this one.
    Last edited by NaeKuh; 06-25-2007 at 05:51 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Does this count for people in the UK?

If it ain't watercooled, I don't wanna know.

Xtreme Member
    Will this fit on the Fuzion?
    - Intel Xeon W3520 #3848A352 D0 @ 4.4GHz
    - DFI LanParty UT X58-T3eH8 (bios 05/08)
    - 3x2GB Corsair Failinator GT 1866MHz 7-8-7-20 (3x2GB Patriot Viper 1600MHz C8 backup...)
    - Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB @ 872/1000
    - ~5TB assorted WD/Seagate
    - SB X-Fi XtremeMusic & Logitech Z-680 THX
    - Tt Toughpower 1200W Modular
    - CM Stacker T01 Black
    - Eizo FlexScan SX2761W 27" & Samsung 226CW 22"

CPU Loop: MCP655/D5 - Swiftech Apogee GTZ - Thermochilll PA120.3 - YateLoon SL's - 1/2" MasterKleer
    GPU/Chipset Loop: MCP655/D5 - EK-FC4870 X2 Acetal CF - Swiftech MCW30 - Thermochill PA120.3 - YateLoon SL's - 1/2" MasterKleer

Xtreme Enthusiast
    ^^ Any backplate will work with any Waterblock.

Even ThermalRights Backplates work with the Fuzion.

CPU : E8400
    Motherboard : Abit IP-35 Pro
    Memory : GSkill DDR2-800 2GBHZ @ 1:1 445 4-4-4-12
    Graphics Card : Palit HD4870 Dual Sonic
    Display : Dell E228WFP
    Storage & OS : 1TB | Windows 7 64bit
    Sound Card & Speakers/Headphones : X-Fi Platinum (HotRod) > Zero DAC > BeyerDynamic DT990 Pro
    Peripherals : Razer ProType Keyboard | Steelseries Ikari Optical | Razer Goliathus Speed.
    Case : Coolermaster ATCS 840
    PSU : OCZ GamerXtreme 700W

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ad1tya View Post

Yeah I figured. But I got confused with all the hard mount talk. Thought there was something special about it.
    - Intel Xeon W3520 #3848A352 D0 @ 4.4GHz
    - DFI LanParty UT X58-T3eH8 (bios 05/08)
    - 3x2GB Corsair Failinator GT 1866MHz 7-8-7-20 (3x2GB Patriot Viper 1600MHz C8 backup...)
    - Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB @ 872/1000
    - ~5TB assorted WD/Seagate
    - SB X-Fi XtremeMusic & Logitech Z-680 THX
    - Tt Toughpower 1200W Modular
    - CM Stacker T01 Black
    - Eizo FlexScan SX2761W 27" & Samsung 226CW 22"

CPU Loop: MCP655/D5 - Swiftech Apogee GTZ - Thermochilll PA120.3 - YateLoon SL's - 1/2" MasterKleer
    GPU/Chipset Loop: MCP655/D5 - EK-FC4870 X2 Acetal CF - Swiftech MCW30 - Thermochill PA120.3 - YateLoon SL's - 1/2" MasterKleer

Xtreme Addict
    because neal, it looks like you would nee to apply some pressure on the screws for it to go in. Also, if you assume the board is going to be mounted inside the case, it would be a PITA to screw on sideways. I didnt like how the original apogee mounting system was. Think of it that way.

This mount requires you to match all the holes first b4 u put the block on top, then slide scerws on top of the block to the backplate. And i think the screws will be JUST enough to reach and be tightened slightly.

Neal, just goto your jab-tech history, and highlight the order invoice on there site. And then paste it on a email document, or take a screen shot of the invoice and email it to michelle. Mention your on XS, and it might help.

But yeah, they were incredibly fast. Definitely hats off to gabe and swiftech for this one.
    I copied and pasted from Jab-tech my invoice last week and like i said I got it already
    BTW ow did you know I got it from Jab-Tech

I understand now why this will be a PITA to install...did not give it much thought as I cant do the install for several weeks...getting a vacation

What size screws did you use with the Tt BT backplate to install the apogee gtx?

TIA
    Neal
    My Heat
    x1900xt MCW60

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Ad1tya View Post

http://www.jab-tech.com/Thermalright...t-pr-3605.html

Including that one?

Chasing After Diety
    I copied and pasted from Jab-tech my invoice last week and like i said I got it already
    BTW ow did you know I got it from Jab-Tech

I understand now why this will be a PITA to install...did not give it much thought as I cant do the install for several weeks...getting a vacation

What size screws did you use with the Tt BT backplate to install the apogee gtx?

TIA
    Neal
    because you told me. And i have a fairly good memory about things like this.

Basically i used screws 1 inch longer, then the factory shipped ones. But if you have the backplate, i hear a hardmount is much prefered over springs because you get a more even and firm clamp down. This really helps if your bowing the block.

My Q6600 isnt even lapped yet.

Reason is because it doesnt break 60C on full load even at mid day with no AC, so i decided to be lazy and forgo it until i do another maintence job on it.

Xtreme Addict
    Anyone got any results in yet with the use of the backplate in either of two conditions?

1) not having used any backplate

2) having used a 3rd party backplate

I'd like to know if breaking down my U2 once again will be worth it.
    MM Extended U2-UFO CYO (Duality front, Standard back, Horizontal Mobo brace) Anodized Black || eVGA X58 || Intel i7 920 || 6 GB Corsair Dominator PC3-12800|| eVGA 295GTX || Asus Xonar Essence STX || VisionTek 650 TV Tuner || 1 300GB WD Velociraptor || 1TB WD's Black Ed. || LG 22X DVD-Writer || Lite-On 20x DVD-Writer || Corsair CMPSU-1000HX PSU

CPU Loop: DDC-2 w/ XSPC Reservoir Top -> Swiftech GTZ -> Thermochill PA120.3 (Push: 3 Scythe S-Flex G)

GPU Loop: DDC-2 w/ XSPC Reservoir Top -> (Koolance VID-NX295 FC block) ->Thermochill PA120.3 (Push: 3 Scythe S-Flex G)

Chipset Loop: DDC-2 w/ XSPC Reservoir Top -> Alphacool Silentstar Dual HD waterblock enclosure -> Bitspower Black Freezer eVGA x58 MOSFET-> Bitspower Black Freezer eVGA x58 NB -> Thermochill PA120.2 (Pull: 2 Scythe S-Flex G)

2 x Dell 2408FPW LCD || Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 || Logitech G9 Mouse || Logitech G15 LCD Keyboard || Logitech Quickcam Ultravision || Sennheiser Headphones

Xtreme Addict
    [QUOTE=NaeKuh;2276360]because you told me. And i have a fairly good memory about things like this. [/q]
    my memory sucks, I guess

Quote Originally Posted by naekuh
    Basically i used screws 1 inch longer, then the factory shipped ones. But if you have the backplate, i hear a hardmount is much prefered over springs because you get a more even and firm clamp down. This really helps if your bowing the block.
    I would prefer a hardmount but I don see any easuy way to do this once the mobo is mounted
    Not like I can mount the water block and then place tubes on it

I like to be able to remove te entire loop in its entireity and will cut my NIB TJ07(sitting in our living room..wife not to happy about that) to allow this
    My Heat
    x1900xt MCW60

Mr Swiftech
    because neal, it looks like you would nee to apply some pressure on the screws for it to go in.
    no no noooo

you don't have to push the screws.

This thing could be installed by a 5 year old.

The back plate has a VERY strong adhesive in the back. Once in place, it will never fall.

Installing uninstaling is a breaze with this. They use my quad for testing in the lab, and I have removed it from my system at least a dozen times. huge difference in convenience with the screw/springs. its just a bolt on. Again, i really don't understand why someone said its a PITA to install.

oh, and I did gain on my quad temps compared to a beefed up spring mount (2 extra wahsers).

3.6 Ghz (1.45v bios) - test burnk6 x 4
    standard spring mount with (2) extra washers

ambient 73F

c0: 74C
    c1: 73C
    c2: 67C
    c3: 69C
    avg: 70.75C - AS5 1 week cure

3.6 (1.45v bios) - burnk6 x 4
    backplate mount

ambient 73F

c0: 71C
    c1: 72C
    c2: 66C
    c3: 70C
    avg: 69.75 - AS5 fresh mount
    Last edited by gabe; 06-26-2007 at 06:06 PM.
    CEO Swiftech

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post
    no no noooo

you don't have to push the screws.

This thing could be installed by a 5 year old.

The back plate has a VERY strong adhesive in the back. Once in place, it will never fall.

Installing uninstaling is a breaze with this. They use my quad for testing in the lab, and I have removed it from my system at least a dozen times. huge difference in convenience with the screw/springs. its just a bolt on. Again, i really don't understand why someone said its a PITA to install.
    Well see this what I get for not looking closer..my apologies Gabe...

Oh I did not look closely at the backplate...if there i adhesive this is likely a much easier install...

Only problem then is the need to buy a second backplate for a new mobo...
    My Heat
    x1900xt MCW60

Mr Swiftech
    Well see this what I get for not looking closer..my apologies Gabe...

Oh I did not look closely at the backplate...if there i adhesive this is likely a much easier install...

Only problem then is the need to buy a second backplate for a new mobo...
    I have edited my post to show temps..
    CEO Swiftech

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post
    I have edited my post to show temps..
    nice temps
    My Heat
    x1900xt MCW60

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The hard part about the install Gabe is the fact that you have to keep the screws facing down, so the spacer and lock nut wants to fall off when you mount the waterblock. So this is slightly problematic with the install to hold everything on the screws, while lining it up over the holes.

I feel much safer with this on though, and I am sure it will help my temps too. Any problems I might run into using the plastic washers that lock ( I used them to keep the spacers on so I could mount it without everything falling off the screw) ?
    HTPC - AMD Phenom II 555 Unlocked(4cores) - 4GB Gskill - AMD HD 5850 - Avermedia Duet - Harman Kardon avr247 - Surround Sound (Infinity Beta 50's, 10's, 360, and ed a2-300) - Samsung 46"

Desktop Powerhouse PC - Gathering dust due to high usage of HTPC as general pc now

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Whats the pressure a CPU/CPU socket can handle? With a really cranked hard mount cant you crush the CPU?
    For the record I am not sick, nor am I a gamer, nor am I a sick gamer. That name just sounds really cool to me but dont put me under that stereotype at all.

nevermind... addicted to COD4 and Free Online Games baby!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    So...I bought my apogee a little under a year ago, but my proof of purchase was through email, and i have since deleted that, now wtf do i do

I bought it through Performance-PCS so is there anything i can do about that?

EDIT: wait wait wait, nvm, i found it
    Last edited by p8ntslinger676; 06-26-2007 at 09:58 PM.
    Media PC:[AMD x2 4800][MSI K9N-SLI][2x1gig Corsair DDR2 800][ATI 3650 AIW][Asus Xonar D2X][500gig Samsung SATA][Crap Antec Case and PSU]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by sick_g4m3r View Post
    Whats the pressure a CPU/CPU socket can handle? With a really cranked hard mount cant you crush the CPU?
    I would have to use a torque wrench to figure this out, lol. To much work to answer that question.

It is pretty tight on there, I defiantly would not want it any more pressure than the spacers allow.
    Last edited by 96redformula; 06-26-2007 at 10:31 PM.
    HTPC - AMD Phenom II 555 Unlocked(4cores) - 4GB Gskill - AMD HD 5850 - Avermedia Duet - Harman Kardon avr247 - Surround Sound (Infinity Beta 50's, 10's, 360, and ed a2-300) - Samsung 46"

Desktop Powerhouse PC - Gathering dust due to high usage of HTPC as general pc now

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MotF Bane View Post
    That would work w/o the Top plate ofcourse. Lol.

You can easily use any Backplate w/ the Screws given to you with your Block.

@ Gabe, Isnt using the Sticky pad on the Backplate problematic, because if you want to change motherboards, its going to be a b1tch to take off, and then its not going to stick on your new Mobo :/.
    Happened to me with my Thermalright XP-90 Backplate. Lol.
    Last edited by Ad1tya; 06-26-2007 at 11:17 PM.

CPU : E8400
    Motherboard : Abit IP-35 Pro
    Memory : GSkill DDR2-800 2GBHZ @ 1:1 445 4-4-4-12
    Graphics Card : Palit HD4870 Dual Sonic
    Display : Dell E228WFP
    Storage & OS : 1TB | Windows 7 64bit
    Sound Card & Speakers/Headphones : X-Fi Platinum (HotRod) > Zero DAC > BeyerDynamic DT990 Pro
    Peripherals : Razer ProType Keyboard | Steelseries Ikari Optical | Razer Goliathus Speed.
    Case : Coolermaster ATCS 840
    PSU : OCZ GamerXtreme 700W

+1 For Swiftech.

Thanks Gabe!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12