I was going to add this to Top Nurses “Whats up with the Aquaduct?” thread but considered it spoilt enough without my contribution so it gets its own thread as I’m sure there will one or two replies..

A long, long time ago before the term “Galvanic Corrosion” was widely used in the watercooling world I made aluminium tops for both a Maze3 and Z-Chip blocks (which shows how long ago). Just to be a bit different

The plan was to have them anodised as I was sort of aware of galvanic corrosion but not entirely sure what effect it would have and after polishing the tops realised I liked them shiny so much decided to throw caution to the wind and fit them bear so to speak.

The system ran 24/7 for over six months with only deionised water and around 2 to 3% Water Wetter and UV dye with absolutely no adverse effects what so ever.

Even though the hose was still relatively clear and the system was running swimmingly the term galvanic corrosion was becoming a widely used term around forums with all sorts of scary mongering attached so in fear of my whole system failing or even worse, blowing up I drained the system and opened the blocks to find only very slight pitting to the aluminium tops and a greyish look to the copper which later became apparent was the aluminium adhering to the copper.

A quick clean and some new hose and liquid they went straight back in my system and ran until the Maze3 was superseded by the Maze4 without a hint of a problem to the over all day to day running.

Shortly after the anodised topped Maze4 GPU came out and I also ran those for years without any major catastrophes as well as Aquatubes, Innovatek GPU blocks and various other anodised aluminium hardware but to this day have never been troubled with the self combusting system or even a pump fail due to galvanic corrosion and had I even considered the effect of galvanic corrosion for longer than a couple of seconds I probably wouldn’t of even made the tops in the first place which would have been an even worse catastrophe imo.

Remember both these bocks were ran for well over a year and nothing blew up