Thread: 680i and 680i Lt

Xtreme Member

680i and 680i Lt

If you go to newegg.com they have both of these boards produced by evga witht the LT costing more. I don't understand this. Isn't the 680i supposed to cost more and be better and which one should I get?

Xtreme Guru
    for get about the nforce 680i shipset unless you don't have a sli system.. i would recommend that get a good p35 board instead.. oh and the LT model costs more cos its the newer model and overclocks quad core ships a little bit better than the non LT version..
    Evga X58 sli under cascade
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=219788
    Evga X58 Sli ultimate overclocking/ overview/ discussion thread
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=221082

proud owner of E8600 Q822A435

I am Xtreme
    isn't the cheaper model also not with only 3 years or so waranty while the other one has lifetime and more accesoires....
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Xtreme Member
    I first was looking at an ECS 650i board but the overclocking capabilities don't seem too good. I'm just looking for a board that overclock wells and has SLI capability. Doesn't need to be the best.

Xtreme Addict
    Duplicate thread?

I am Xtreme
    He just wants 100% sure to get an answer :

Zero approach it simpe like this :

NO SLI required : go P35 ( intel chippie )

SLI required ( are you sure , do you play games at extremely high res ?) go for EVGA latest rev board, forget about cheaper other brand boards as you will run into trouble once going to overclock quads ( wich you will buy in the near future if not now )

Just a warning : no matter which brand you opt for for the 680i, it runs extremely hot and needs a correct amount of Thermal paste between the chipset and heatsink, if possible an extra fan on the NB... they are more difficult to setup then intel chipsets and have erratic behaviour which is due to the chipset not the mobo design...

If you want hassle free running/overclocking ( ofcourse nothing is guaranteed ) go for an Intel chipset unless you really really need SLI, I just would opt for a eg a GTX card instead of 2 GTS's as not all games support SLI nor Crossfire properly...
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Xtreme Enthusiast
    From my little experience and reading around, ALL 680i boards are as Leeghood says, you have to rip of the standard cooling solution and put a high quility set of fans and heatsinks, or opt for watercooling the parts which you can.

The boards are easy to make boot and need to be set up exactly right, they are not a plug and play board. Once all this is put aside though i have found my asus 680i to be a decent overclocker (only had up to FSB of 460 stable though) and now with changes its very stable and runs quite cool. EVGA do seem to have the least amount of problems.