Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Manhunt 2 Banned By British Board of Film Classification

Xtreme Addict
    lol I heard this on the radio news a while ago.

I'm sure even though the game is banned if people want it they will still get it.

I think Rockstar are pretty stupid if they didn't think about the chaos the last Manhunt caused. I remember some kid being axed or something and the parents of the child blamed the killer because of the game.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] riptide View Post
    I heard something about it banned here... Ireland that is. Fools. I might just go out and start reselling it, just to pi$$ them off.
    I thought Ireland was involved in a huge push for a free market economy in the last few years? I hope i'm not wrong. Such protective practices would knock thier current leadership down a few notches in my book.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    http://kotaku.com/gaming/top/adults-...ess-270768.php

Currently it's SCE's policy not to allow the playback of AO rated content on our systems.

As stated on Nintendo.com, Nintendo does not allow any AO-rated content on its systems.

So Rockstar only has three choices now: They can either kill the game, rework it to try for a lower rating or submit an appeal to the ESRB's board and argue that the game doesn't deserve such a high, 18-or-older rating.

Xtreme Member
    so what console was this suppose to come out for? If it is coming out on Nintendo or Sony console then that isn't happening.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6172830...stnews;title;0
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    that game looks like , start banning games when games are photo-realistic.
    DFI P965-S/core 2 quad q6600@3.2ghz/4gb gskill ddr2 @ 800mhz cas 4/xfx gtx 260/ silverstone op650/thermaltake xaser 3 case/razer lachesis

Xtreme Monster
    They did the right thing, they did not ban it. It just classified it as only adult material. The game is brutal for a person minor than 16.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I still have Manhunt for the PC but i've never actaully gotten round to playing it. I'll give it a go later & if I like it i'll import the US version for my US PS3, I hate censors, they just make peoples lives boring.

Xtreme Addict
    The questions I have are, what type of sadistic bastard(s) would even make a game like this and what sick phucks would want to buy it?

Honestly, if you think this is entertainment, you have something wrong with your pschy!

I am soooo buying this...

And I don't know about others, but I blame no one for anything that goes wrong in my life.

If a psychopath plays manhunt and makes a bad choice, a game made that person into what he is? The real nutters are those that fail to distinguish between whats fake and whats real. Anyone who fails to draw the line is the one with issues. Plus I'd rather take out aggression on a game/movie/tv/music (same difference right?) rather then doing harm to something/someone/substance. People by nature love to blame things on other things to detract themselves from the root of the problem.

If you buy a game, just play and enjoy it. If you bought it knowing you'd be mortified, you'd be the one that needs a mental exam.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Brettbeck View Post
    I think Rockstar are pretty stupid if they didn't think about the chaos the last Manhunt caused. I remember some kid being axed or something and the parents of the child blamed the killer because of the game.
    You and I have very different ideas about the meaning of the word "cause".

165 @ 2.9 @ 1.45V | 2x1GB G.Skill HZ | NF4 Ultra-D
    MSI X1900XTX | G500 21" Trinitron
    X-Fi Fatality | Z-2300s | Little Dot MkIII | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro
    TDX | Maze4 GPU | DDC Topmodded | BIP3
    Stacker STC-T01

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by aMp View Post
    You and I have very different ideas about the meaning of the word "cause".

Sorry i'm not with you here?

Back in the days when the origional Manhunt game was out, some kid here in the UK was axed or something by his friend. The parents of the dead child blamed the killers behaivior because of the game, which caused chaos and ended up getting the game banned.

Right, I just found the article. It wasn't an axe, it was a hammer;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/l...re/3934277.stm

This was all over the news for at least a week, TV, radio, newspapers, internet... everywhere.

Xtreme Enthusiast

Back in the days when the origional Manhunt game was out, some kid here in the UK was axed or something by his friend. The parents of the dead child blamed the killers behaivior because of the game, which caused chaos and ended up getting the game banned.

This was all over the news for at least a week, TV, radio, newspapers, internet... everywhere.
    I can switch on my TV and see worse than what i've seen so far in Manhunt. Fact is the main problem with Manhunt 2 is the "immersiveness" the Wii version brings. If there was no Wii version there would probably only be an 18 sticker on it.

About that case, the police refused to accept the game being the "cause" but drug-related robbery. Secondly the last game (before Manhunt 2) to be banned in the UK is Carmageddon about 10 years ago. The killer did not even own the game, the deceased did. Some stores pulled it voluntarily from the shelves & it has since gone back on sale.

Read all about it here

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by freeloader View Post
    The questions I have are, what type of sadistic bastard(s) would even make a game like this and what sick phucks would want to buy it?

Honestly, if you think this is entertainment, you have something wrong with your pschy!
    110% Agree....you can't really argue with this dudes point

Quote Originally Posted by PsYkHoTiK View Post
    I am soooo buying this...

And I don't know about others, but I blame no one for anything that goes wrong in my life.

If a psychopath plays manhunt and makes a bad choice, a game made that person into what he is? The real nutters are those that fail to distinguish between whats fake and whats real. Anyone who fails to draw the line is the one with issues.
    OK, we'll be sure to tell that to your wife/kids/parents when they scoop you up off the tube station floor DEAD with a BIRO PEN stuck in your eye. "Sure it's a bit of a bummer for him, but then...that's just life!" we'll say. The fact that the psychopath honed his skills whilst boarded up in his 1 room appartment for 9months, all the while playing games like MANHUNT and living out fantasies of doing exactly what he did to you with the biro, is neither here nor there.

Quote Originally Posted by AllAgainstPaul View Post
    While were at it, lets burn a few thousand books and films just because of the content that they contain.
    Ok, I'm all for that. The rantings of Charles Manson.....lets burn that one....who gives what a retarded serial killer thinks....or his reasons for doing what he done.

Exposer to violence in the media started way before video games ever came into existence. Before video games there was television, movies, radio, and books. It's not a new thing.
    Yeah, but which medium had violence to such a degree where you could actually see a character you're controlling and actively decide to stab someone in the face with a screwdriver and actually be able to see this played out infront of you in high def/high colour?

C'mon....think about it......reading a story where a fictitious character plays out a violent crime and having to create the scene in your minds eye is hardly the same thing.

It takes a lot of conditioning early on to become twisted and sadistic enough to pull off some of the crazy things that video games are blamed for.
    No it doesn't.....I can assure you all evil needs to prevail is for good men to stand by and do nothing. I don't have to actively condition my kids as to whats evil or wrong. I simply don't condition them at all and with all this crap flying around they'll condition themselves in it soon enough.

Yes I agree that there are games unsuitable for children to play, just as I feel that there are movies they should not see and books they should not read till they are older and grasp the concept of morality. But I feel that there is a certain point that we must accept that our children are old enough to handle that responsibility.
    So being old enough means you should be given the right to play games where you can screwdriver someone in the face whilst suffocating them with a plastic bag, regardless of your mental state?

Yeah, that sounds fair enough.....I mean why draw the line there right?

You don't wanna suffocate people you just wanna pretend yeah? It ain't gonna condition you in anyway? Ok....then lets say I write a paedophile game....lets call it CHILD-HUNTER. It retails at just $19.99 so not much stands in the way of you (or any kids buying it). The main object of the game is pretty simple.....you cruise the streets of a fictitious city looking for, kidnapping, sexually assaulting and killing the kids you meet. You can do allsorts.....you can strangle them.....punch them in the face......abuse them with screwdrivers.....suffocate them.....it's entirely upto you. You can even turn on the AUDIO GORE so you hear them scream for mummy....since it adds a little realism to the game.

Now...you're gonna tell me you'd enjoy playing this game....or that you wouldn't mind others playing it? If you saw a 50yr old loner guy in a store in the states queing up to buy it you'd think..."Hmmmm perfectly normal guy there...nothing to worry about."?

When you see your two 15yr old sons playing it and laughing wildly at the fact that the kiddy is crying as you abuse her....you just shrug it off as childish antics?

Well it's the same deal with crap like MANHUNTER. Who on earth in their right mind WANTS to act out venting someones face with a screwdriver for cyring out loud?

IMO it's merely a publicity stunt. Kids want what they're told they can't have...simple. Ban a game and EVERY kid wants it...end of.

Personally though, I know I can live without this sorta in my kids life.

I'm just saddened by the fact that ROCKSTAR were initially a Scottish company......I can believe it though......a Scot without much savvy is what's required to create a game like MANHUNT.
    Last edited by SOLDNER-MOFO64; 06-21-2007 at 02:40 AM.

Xtreme Mentor
    I wonder how would peole react if somebody was to release a sick game involving a pedofile as a main chatacter, escaping the police!

I guess poeple "still" arent used to that ^ subject being in the spot light as much as violence...

My vote would go to ban cause there is no point of realeasing it the way it is JUST cause you can, and to prove a point!
    That, and the fact young people are getting more and more shalow and stupid by each year that passes and it shouldn't be encouraged even more...
    Quote Originally Posted by LexDiamonds View Post
    Anti-Virus software is for n00bs.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by XS Janus View Post
    I wonder how would peole react if somebody was to release a sick game involving a pedofile as a main chatacter, escaping the police!

I guess poeple "still" arent used to that ^ subject being in the spot light as much as violence...
    That's the entire point though......both scenarios are completely wrong and illegal...so why people WANT to do either is beyond me. Like you can justify wanting to pretend kill people in extremely violent and graphic ways anymore than you can justify wanting to pretend you're a paedophile Neither are morally right, both are completely absurd....but people will try to justify the killing over the peadophilia

In either scenario you have something wrong with your brain.....there's no two ways about it.

I often think of it like this.......Could you give an order to drop a chemical bomb on 100,000 people you've never met/never will meet and hold no respect or compassion for? Sedam done it.....and he was considered an evil man as a result. However, to me that would be easier than approaching someone in the street I've never met and sticking a screwdriver in their face simply because I wanted to do it to someone. Yet I'm perfectly normal for wanting to do so?

The person who killed this boy obviously had something wrong with him. The cause of the problem if not the person himself is the person who allowed a underage child who probably had a mental disorder to play a violent video game.

How about the yorkshire ripper? What game did he play?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Sutcliffe

Video games do not kill people. Guns do not kill people. Films do not kill people......People kill people.

Modern society is just full of nutcases. That's just how it is. It's a problem caused by law, governments and human rights. Police are powerless, they can't touch you. No one is scared of them. People do whatever they please. People have no respect these days.

People get stabbed all the time in England, it's an every day thing nowadays. I'm sure this is a problem that has got much worse over the past 10 years too.
    ASROCK Dual 775-VSTA
    E6400 @ 2.4ghz
    1.5gig ram
    some other stuff...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SOLDNER-MOFO64 View Post
    110% Agree....you can't really argue with this dudes point

OK, we'll be sure to tell that to your wife/kids/parents when they scoop you up off the tube station floor DEAD with a BIRO PEN stuck in your eye. "Sure it's a bit of a bummer for him, but then...that's just life!" we'll say. The fact that the psychopath honed his skills whilst boarded up in his 1 room appartment for 9months, all the while playing games like MANHUNT and living out fantasies of doing exactly what he did to you with the biro, is neither here nor there.

Ok, I'm all for that. The rantings of Charles Manson.....lets burn that one....who gives what a retarded serial killer thinks....or his reasons for doing what he done.

Yeah, but which medium had violence to such a degree where you could actually see a character you're controlling and actively decide to stab someone in the face with a screwdriver and actually be able to see this played out infront of you in high def/high colour?

C'mon....think about it......reading a story where a fictitious character plays out a violent crime and having to create the scene in your minds eye is hardly the same thing.

No it doesn't.....I can assure you all evil needs to prevail is for good men to stand by and do nothing. I don't have to actively condition my kids as to whats evil or wrong. I simply don't condition them at all and with all this crap flying around they'll condition themselves in it soon enough.

So being old enough means you should be given the right to play games where you can screwdriver someone in the face whilst suffocating them with a plastic bag, regardless of your mental state?

Yeah, that sounds fair enough.....I mean why draw the line there right?

You don't wanna suffocate people you just wanna pretend yeah? It ain't gonna condition you in anyway? Ok....then lets say I write a paedophile game....lets call it CHILD-HUNTER. It retails at just $19.99 so not much stands in the way of you (or any kids buying it). The main object of the game is pretty simple.....you cruise the streets of a fictitious city looking for, kidnapping, sexually assaulting and killing the kids you meet. You can do allsorts.....you can strangle them.....punch them in the face......abuse them with screwdrivers.....suffocate them.....it's entirely upto you. You can even turn on the AUDIO GORE so you hear them scream for mummy....since it adds a little realism to the game.

Now...you're gonna tell me you'd enjoy playing this game....or that you wouldn't mind others playing it? If you saw a 50yr old loner guy in a store in the states queing up to buy it you'd think..."Hmmmm perfectly normal guy there...nothing to worry about."?

When you see your two 15yr old sons playing it and laughing wildly at the fact that the kiddy is crying as you abuse her....you just shrug it off as childish antics?

Well it's the same deal with crap like MANHUNTER. Who on earth in their right mind WANTS to act out venting someones face with a screwdriver for cyring out loud?

IMO it's merely a publicity stunt. Kids want what they're told they can't have...simple. Ban a game and EVERY kid wants it...end of.

Personally though, I know I can live without this sorta in my kids life.

I'm just saddened by the fact that ROCKSTAR were initially a Scottish company......I can believe it though......a Scot without much savvy is what's required to create a game like MANHUNT.
    Where to begin... i'll start at the top.

1) There are always people that want to push themselves in entertainment & don't take it into the real life, lets call these people the normal majority. There are always nutcases, fanatics & zealots that take things over the top but that's down to society, not games/films/books.

2) I could scrape you off the pavement after you get a glasgow kiss, doesn't mean I got the idea from a game. Man has been inventing newer & better ways to kill each other since we walked out of the jungle & games have not changed that at all.

3) The reason we allow people like Charles Manson & Celebrities to write (or have ghost written) books is freedom of speech & to take that basic human right away from someone is wrong. I personally enjoy reading about the criminal mind, as do many others. DOes that make me a criminal or a "heathen"? No.

4) So you want nothing to be interactive? In chess you control "characters" to kill others, in role playing games (D&D etc) you control characters with each roll of the die. Should you ban every medium that can portray violence in an interactive form? If that's how you feel go live in Iran or a cave somewhere.

5) Teaching your kids right from wrong is fundamental to being a good parent & raising well balanced & well mannered kids. Your primary duty as a parent is to protect & educate your offspring.

6) Age brings with it greater maturity & wisdom. Once you reach a cerain average age (in the UK it's 18) you are free to drink, gamble & partake of more "adult" activities like :banana::banana::banana::banana:, 18 films/games but society deems you to have the mental capacity to not copy what you see/hear. Where to have that line is debated, some say sex should be a 18 & not 16 right, same for smoking & that drinking should be 21+ only.

7) You keep mentioning "pedophiles" as a game, quite simply society as a whole deems that unacceptable & hence it would not see the light of day & anyone involved in it creation would be spending a long time in jail & the rest of their lives on a sex offenders register.

8) Are you saying that there is something wrong with my mind in the fact that violence doesn't bother me? I've seen things that you wouldn't even be able to comprehend, i've shot people, i've been involved in gunfights, bombings & the like but you don't see me killing anybody now do you?

Morals are defined by religion & religion breeds violence, think about it.

Xtreme Addict
    I've been playing Counter-Strike competitively since I was 12.... I guess it's just a matter of time until I start bunny hopping around and 1-deag'ing people on the street

EDIT: I just realize that I've been playing CS for 3+ hours a day since I was 12 but I'm one of the 2 or 3 people that want gun control in that thread lol
    Last edited by HiJon89; 06-21-2007 at 06:09 AM.

File Server:
    Super Micro X8DTi
    2x E5620 2.4Ghz Westmere
    12GB DDR3 ECC Registered
    50GB OCZ Vertex 2
    RocketRaid 3520
    6x 1.5TB RAID5
    Zotac GT 220
    Zippy 600W

3DMark05: 12308
    3DMark03: 25820

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathReborn View Post
    Where to begin... i'll start at the top.

1) There are always people that want to push themselves in entertainment & don't take it into the real life, lets call these people the normal majority. There are always nutcases, fanatics & zealots that take things over the top but that's down to society, not games/films/books.

So you'd buy garbage like this and support the developers?

2) I could scrape you off the pavement after you get a glasgow kiss, doesn't mean I got the idea from a game. Man has been inventing newer & better ways to kill each other since we walked out of the jungle & games have not changed that at all.

Isn't it about time we collectively changed this? Started to change our behaviour and thoughts?

3) The reason we allow people like Charles Manson & Celebrities to write (or have ghost written) books is freedom of speech & to take that basic human right away from someone is wrong. I personally enjoy reading about the criminal mind, as do many others. DOes that make me a criminal or a "heathen"? No.

Charlie lost all his freedoms when he landed his ass in jail!

4) So you want nothing to be interactive? In chess you control "characters" to kill others, in role playing games (D&D etc) you control characters with each roll of the die. Should you ban every medium that can portray violence in an interactive form? If that's how you feel go live in Iran or a cave somewhere.

This isn't chess or checkers.

5) Teaching your kids right from wrong is fundamental to being a good parent & raising well balanced & well mannered kids. Your primary duty as a parent is to protect & educate your offspring.

Hey, we agree on something

6) Age brings with it greater maturity & wisdom. Once you reach a cerain average age (in the UK it's 18) you are free to drink, gamble & partake of more "adult" activities like :banana::banana::banana::banana:, 18 films/games but society deems you to have the mental capacity to not copy what you see/hear. Where to have that line is debated, some say sex should be a 18 & not 16 right, same for smoking & that drinking should be 21+ only.

7) You keep mentioning "pedophiles" as a game, quite simply society as a whole deems that unacceptable & hence it would not see the light of day & anyone involved in it creation would be spending a long time in jail & the rest of their lives on a sex offenders register.

Simply because more people hear about pedophilia. I guarnatee you that if you showed this game to 100% of the population, the majority would be dead against it ever being released. Some people have a conscience!

8) Are you saying that there is something wrong with my mind in the fact that violence doesn't bother me? I've seen things that you wouldn't even be able to comprehend, i've shot people, i've been involved in gunfights, bombings & the like but you don't see me killing anybody now do you?

It's unfortunate that you've seen such things.

Last edited by freeloader; 06-21-2007 at 01:16 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    No it doesn't.....I can assure you all evil needs to prevail is for good men to stand by and do nothing.
    And I suppose stomping out freedom of expression and anything that doesn't conform to your paradigm makes you a good man?

You don't wanna suffocate people you just wanna pretend yeah? It ain't gonna condition you in anyway?
    Tens of millions of Counter-Strike players who have never committed a violent crime nor had the urge to would probably disagree with you.

Ok....then lets say I write a paedophile game....lets call it CHILD-HUNTER. It retails at just $19.99 so not much stands in the way of you (or any kids buying it). The main object of the game is pretty simple.....you cruise the streets of a fictitious city looking for, kidnapping, sexually assaulting and killing the kids you meet. You can do allsorts.....you can strangle them.....punch them in the face......abuse them with screwdrivers.....suffocate them.....it's entirely upto you. You can even turn on the AUDIO GORE so you hear them scream for mummy....since it adds a little realism to the game.

Now...you're gonna tell me you'd enjoy playing this game....or that you wouldn't mind others playing it?
    I don't think I'd enjoy playing it (I'm more of an FPS guy) but far be it from me to tell others what games they can and can't play.

Just because you don't want to doesn't mean you have the right to tell other people that they can't.

If you don't want to play Manhunt 2, then don't. If you don't want to your kids to play Manhunt 2, then don't let them. Anything else is none of your business. I'll leave you with some quotes:

Did you ever hear anyone say, "That work had better be banned because I might read it and it might be very damaging to me?" ~Joseph Henry Jackson

We are not afraid to entrust the American people with unpleasant facts, foreign ideas, alien philosophies, and competitive values. For a nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people. ~John F. Kennedy

If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all. ~Noam Chomsky
    Last edited by HiJon89; 06-21-2007 at 08:49 AM.

File Server:
    Super Micro X8DTi
    2x E5620 2.4Ghz Westmere
    12GB DDR3 ECC Registered
    50GB OCZ Vertex 2
    RocketRaid 3520
    6x 1.5TB RAID5
    Zotac GT 220
    Zippy 600W

3DMark05: 12308
    3DMark03: 25820

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathReborn
    Nope, religion feeds on morals and create unquestionable truths out of 'em - and they breed violence. One thing I really dislike about religion and the religious.

Everything could be different and nothing is necessary - other than that of cause
    • DFI LANParty LT X38-T2R Rev. AA1
    • Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 4009MHz, 1.31V
    • TRUE @ 2x Scythe S-Flex SFF21F, 5V
    • 4 x 2GB G.Skill Pi PC2-8800
    • MSI R4870X2-T2D2G-OC
    • 3x 74GB Raptor ICH9R Raid0 @ 128KB Stripe Size
    • Plextor PX-716SA/T3KB DVD-RW
    • Auzen X-Fi Prelude @ TI OPA637AU - Thule - Dali/Ultimate Ears - Argento
    • SilverStone OP700
    • CM Stacker 830 Evo
    • Eizo FlexScan HD2441W - Audioquest DV-X
    • WinVista Ultimate 64bit SP1

I am Xtreme
    Who on earth in their right mind WANTS to act out venting someones face with a screwdriver for cyring out loud?
    The point is that it's not your decision to make. If you are right and no one wants to play this game, then it being released will not be a problem, because no one will buy it, and no other games like it will be created. Just like a game about pedophiles wouldn't make it. No one would buy it. If you don't want this game on the market tell people that they shouldn't buy it and why. But do not tell them that they can not buy it. I live my life, not you, and you have no right to tell me what is good or bad for me. If you think you know what is good for me better then I do, maybe you should start thinking about what it is you are doing. What right do you or the government have to tell me or anyone else what I should and should not see? Who made you the judge? What makes you think you are so special that you can judge for the entire country? What makes you feel that the country is so dumb that it can not judge for itself?

Forcing your viewpoint on to someone else sounds alot like some other people I have heard of. Stalin ring a bell? What about hitler? Why don't we just control every market, lets ban anything that could potentially inspire bad behaviour. The world would be a better place if we kept all the bad things out of the people's hands, and who better to say what is good and what is bad for people then big brother. Right. Right? Right!?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Exactly right In other news, Australia and Ireland are the latest to ban it. http://kotaku.com/gaming/manhunt-2/

You go freedom fighters, you go sneak in a copy from across the country and protect your right to virtually be sadistic

Xtreme Addict
    Games are getting a bit too far...
    whats next? Bloody Women Rape 2008?
    sigh
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
    G-Skill Ripjaws X 16Gb - 2133Mhz
    Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
    i7 2600k @ 4.4Ghz
    Sapphire 7970 OC 1.2Ghz
    Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 128Gb

Xtreme Enthusiast
    All in the name of art and freedom