Thread: New MBP's, I am thinking of switching

Xtreme Addict

New MBP's, I am thinking of switching

I have a really nice desktop, and it was mainly built for gamming, but I really don't do much of that. Mainly WoW now, and I am really looking forward to Starcraft 2. Also a few older games like HL2, Serious Sam(First and second encounter) As far as OS's go, I really have no beefs with XP, and I have used Mac OS and I enjoyed the experence. I used to own a notebook, and with ppl reporting 4 hours of battery life with the hardware packed inside, this little guy looks to be able to do everything and more. What do you guys think. I won't be buying for another month or two. Just trying to gather opinions.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    4hrs?
    how the fck did they do that? i can gove you my rundown of what i did yesterday with my own new 15" 2.4g mbp 3.1. what it boils down to is that starting from a battery displayed as being at 100%, i pulled the plug and almost exactly 3 hrs later the system switched off or rather into sleep mode. all the while i was only surfing and listening to my ipod. keyboard backlight was off the entire time, and screen brightness was at 6 bars, so hardly much.

can you link me to reports of 4hrs of battery time, as i have a hard time believing that. or the claimed 5hrs. maybe if the system is just sitting around basically doing nothing and going into sleep mode. but if you're actually working with it, if only surfing, 3hrs is topps. at least with the top end one(s).
    sky / s!p - we are oldskool, dammit.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I have one of the original ones with the core duo not core 2 and I usually get 3.5-4 hrs just browsing and other basic stuff.
    2.16 GHz
    2 gig ram
    17 inch

To the OP, you'll love your mac I have one of the old ones and it runs everything I throw at it fine including games on XP.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by sky View Post
    4hrs?
    how the fck did they do that? i can gove you my rundown of what i did yesterday with my own new 15" 2.4g mbp 3.1. what it boils down to is that starting from a battery displayed as being at 100%, i pulled the plug and almost exactly 3 hrs later the system switched off or rather into sleep mode. all the while i was only surfing and listening to my ipod. keyboard backlight was off the entire time, and screen brightness was at 6 bars, so hardly much.

can you link me to reports of 4hrs of battery time, as i have a hard time believing that. or the claimed 5hrs. maybe if the system is just sitting around basically doing nothing and going into sleep mode. but if you're actually working with it, if only surfing, 3hrs is topps. at least with the top end one(s).
    Well with Brightness at about haft and just surfing the net, very light tasks, ppl were getting 3.5-4 hours which is just phenomial for whats packed in there and the weight

XS News
    <3 my MBP.

And you can get Parallels or Vmware fusion to run windows virtualized if you need.

I don't forsee myself ever getting rid of a mac main computer.
    AMD Athlon 64 3700+ @ 300x10________15" Macbook Pro
    2x 512mb Mushkin DDR _______________2x 1Gb DDR2
    Sapphire X850XT____________________X1600M
    DFI Ultra-D_________________________2.16Ghz Merom C2D
    Lian-Li PC7A________________________OS X/XP
    PCP&C 610w Silencer

Xtreme Addict
    compared to a lot of other laptops i've seen even 3-3.5 hours is not bad.
    CPU: Q6600 @ 3.6ghz G0 Week 37B
    Mobo: Asus P5k Deluxe
    Cooler: TRUE 120 (150cfm Delta)
    2xHR-05
    2xHR-09
    Mem: G.Skill 4x1Gb 6400HZ
    Vid: HIS 4850
    HDD: 80Gb 16mb Cache Raptor
    500Gb 7200.11 Seagate
    PSU: Enermax Noisetaker 600w
    Case: Thermaltake Armor (4x120mm 104CFM Panaflo)

3dmark06: 16k