Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Than Half of Known Vista Bugs are Unpatched

I am Xtreme

More Than Half of Known Vista Bugs are Unpatched

MS is getting lazy!
    /.

Quote Originally Posted by /.
    "Microsoft security executive Jeff Jones has disclosed that in the first six months of Vista's release, the company has patched fewer than half of the operating system's known bugs. Microsoft has fixed only 12 of 27 reported Vista vulnerabilities whereas it patched 36 of 39 known bugs in Windows XP in the first six months following its release. Jones says that's because "Windows Vista continues to show a trend of fewer total and fewer high-severity vulnerabilities at the six month mark compared to ... Windows XP," but he did not address the 15 unpatched flaws."

Asus Z9PE-D8 WS with 64GB of registered ECC ram.|Dell 30" LCD 3008wfp:7970 video card

LSI series raid controller
    SSDs: Crucial C300 256GB
    Standard drives: Seagate ST32000641AS & WD 1TB black
    OSes: Linux and Windows x64

Xtreme Addict
    While XP release wasn't exactly all that great, in comparison though, it was a god-send

D.F.I Pimp Daddy
    Why would Microsoft care they allready have you're money? They are a scumbag company plain and simple! You know that last time I had to call in to activate XP the girl started drilling me on why I have activated XP so many times, so I told her I reformat allot because I overclock and change hardware allot and she got really sh*tty with me and wanted to know again why I have activated it more than once so I told her plain and simple Windows sucks and its none of her F@cking business what I do because I paid $280.00 for a retail copy of XP Pro and she can go F@ck herself!!! The \nerve of that company its like a friggin dictatorship and I am suick of it!!!
    SuperMicro X8SAX
    Xeon 5620
    12GB - Crucial ECC DDR3 1333
    Intel 520 180GB Cherryville
    Areca 1231ML ~ 2~ 250GB Seagate ES.2 ~ Raid 0 ~ 4~ Hitachi 5K3000 2TB ~ Raid 6 ~

Xtreme CCIE
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Esau View Post
    Why would Microsoft care they allready have you're money?
    Because if Microsoft decided to stop supporting or slacking in its support this would be one of their last years in operation. Take it from me, no enterprise corporation in the world would put up with an operating system which remains unpatched. If this divorce were to take place then I am sure you would see a definite shift with home computers away from Microsoft-based systems as well because at the heart of it, any office user spends 40 hours a week on the operating system their business uses, and they are definitely more likely to stick with using that system for their own home use because they are comfortable and familiar with it.

With Vista I will admit that if this is true then they are far behind where they should be, and the only saving grace they have is that Windows XP is still the common distribution.
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

D.F.I Pimp Daddy
    This is true serra but the fact remains all they did was pump the hype about this O.S and its been out for half a year its totally unexceptable considering the crazy hardware requirements they made people upgrade to just to run Vista to be kinda ho hum about the whiole deal and not have provided a real time solution for it as of yet!
    SuperMicro X8SAX
    Xeon 5620
    Areca 1231ML ~ 2~ 250GB Seagate ES.2 ~ Raid 0 ~ 4~ Hitachi 5K3000 2TB ~ Raid 6 ~

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Esau View Post
    This is true serra but the fact remains all they did was pump the hype about this O.S and its been out for half a year its totally unexceptable considering the crazy hardware requirements they made people upgrade to just to run Vista to be kinda ho hum about the whiole deal and not have provided a real time solution for it as of yet!
    And I'm quite sure it helps that everyone and their mother tries to expose every single flaw in Vista.

MS may be brazen, but they aren't stupid although sometimes you can't help but wonder.

Muslim Overclocker
    Maybe they are waiting for a mega patch.

My watercooling experience

Water
    Scythe Gentle Typhoons 120mm 1850RPM
    Thermochill PA120.3 Radiator
    Enzotech Sapphire Rev.A CPU Block
    Laing DDC 3.2
    XSPC Dual Pump Reservoir
    Primochill Pro LRT Red 1/2"
    Bitspower fittings + water temp sensor

Rig
    E8400 | 4GB HyperX PC8500 | Corsair HX620W | ATI HD4870 512MB

I see what I see, and you see what you see. I can't make you see what I see, but I can tell you what I see is not what you see. Truth is, we see what we want to see, and what we want to see is what those around us see. And what we don't see is... well, conspiracies.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmad View Post
    Maybe they are waiting for a mega patch.
    Bring on SP1
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

D.F.I Pimp Daddy
    Braz3n is too politically correct for Micro$ more like Arrogant Dictatorship to have to upgrade you're entire PC (Average Mom/Pop) for a half assed O.S!
    Last edited by Brother Esau; 06-23-2007 at 06:24 AM.
    SuperMicro X8SAX
    Xeon 5620

Xtreme Cruncher
    When people use M$ I think of this:

Maybe the bugs should be categorized and compared to open bugs on say OSX and the like to compare.

Also note the bugs in Vista seems far lower than XP at the same timeframe. (27 vs 39)

And for those whining over MS, use Linux then or OSX. Aslong as you keep using MS products you support it. Do you buy or eat food you dont like aswell?
    Last edited by Shintai; 06-23-2007 at 06:55 AM.
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

The Blue Dolphin
    Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    And for those whining over MS, use Linux then or OSX. Aslong as you keep using MS products you support it. Do you buy or eat food you dont like aswell?
    I buy vegetables mostly because I need them, not because I like them. This is to feel healthy enough to perform all tasks that I want to perform. If I need Microsoft to perform a certain task (like to play games) then I still have to use their product.
    Blue Dolphin Reviews & Guides

Blue Reviews:
    Gigabyte G-Power PRO CPU cooler
    Vantec Nexstar 3.5" external HDD enclosure
    Gigabyte Poseidon 310 case

Blue Guides:
    Fixing a GFX BIOS checksum yourself

98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.

D.F.I Pimp Daddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    When people use M$ I think of this:

Maybe the bugs should be categorized and compared to open bugs on say OSX and the like to compare.

Also note the bugs in Vista seems far lower than XP at the same timeframe. (27 vs 39)

Good O'l Shintai...you wield a sharp sword wish I could completely disagree with you but unfortunately I cant! I use XP yes I do but I need to work on peoples computers so unfortunately I must, but do I like it no I do not!
    But it still sucks and I do not care what anyone say's Microsoft is a F@cked up Company and their O.S sucks too!
    SuperMicro X8SAX
    Xeon 5620

Admin
    I'd like to think that every known bug is unpatched.

If it's patched and still a bug, then we have a problem.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post

LOL!
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

Xtreme Member
    do any games run on linnux using open gl?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by WRC View Post
    do any games run on linnux using open gl?
    Enemy Territory

Xtreme Mentor
    People, stop complaining about Microsoft. Yes, they are a multi-billion dollar company, and one of their focuses are to make money. Isn't the point of a business, is to make money? If you want to go the route of evil market controlling company, why not point the finger at Intel for CPUs, or Apple for MP3 players?

Windows is an operating system, it's going to have flaws. Apple OS X and Linux have flaws. The only reason Windows the most viruses and such, is because it's the most widely used OS. If Linux was the most used OS, it'd be targeted 1st.

Every time news about Microsoft comes up, many people think it's time to come trash Microsoft. I get sick of it. You know, without Microsoft, we wouldn't have the PC hardware we do today.
    In the news section we discuss the news, not trash a company.

Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by Zytek_Fan; 06-24-2007 at 10:39 PM.
    "To exist in this vast universe for a speck of time is the great gift of life. Our tiny sliver of time is our gift of life. It is our only life. The universe will go on, indifferent to our brief existence, but while we are here we touch not just part of that vastness, but also the lives around us. Life is the gift each of us has been given. Each life is our own and no one else's. It is precious beyond all counting. It is the greatest value we have. Cherish it for what it truly is."

Xtreme Recruit
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post

Thats exactly what i was thinking

A patched bug = a fix, not a bug damnit!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
    People, stop complaining about Microsoft. Yes, they are a multi-billion dollar company, and one of their focuses are to make money. Isn't the point of a business, is to make money?
    Some people have the impression that making money is like some sort of safe where you can place your actions and shield them from criticism.

If I chop up your parents into small bits, that is immoral.
    If I chop up your parents into small bits and sell the remains to McDonalds for food, I'm just making money, which means I cannot be held accountable for my actions, which means my actions cannot be deemed immoral.

Anyway... got a little sidestepped there.
    The only reason Windows the most viruses and such, is because it's the most widely used OS.
    No, that is not the only reason. Windows allows far too many applications and functions administrative rights over your system. Here's a good read. Link
    Last edited by Theli; 06-25-2007 at 03:19 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    You'd think that with all the fuss MS is making about how people should upgrade to vista, they'd actually make it more appealing, not make it LOOK more appealing with press.

MS seems to be following Apple; who needs engineering when you have Marketing?
    Microsoft's homepage can be found at: thesource-dot-ofallevil-dot-com - interesting, no?

Think of something witty and imagine it here.

Xtreme Member
    M$ is a BUG
    FOLD for XS WCG ; or Rodzilla kills a kitten

Xtreme Member
    If I chop up your parents into small bits, that is immoral.
    If I chop up your parents into small bits and sell the remains to McDonalds for food, I'm just making money, which means I cannot be held accountable for my actions, which means my actions cannot be deemed immoral.
    how you go from talking business to chopping ppl into small bits is something to get looked into by a psychiatrist.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hachi_Roku View Post
    how you go from talking business to chopping ppl into small bits is something to get looked into by a psychiatrist.
    You are missing the point that giving a business reason for unethical action dosn't make the action less unethical, it just make you (the business) look arrogant and small minded.
    Microsoft's homepage can be found at: thesource-dot-ofallevil-dot-com - interesting, no?

Think of something witty and imagine it here.

Xtreme Mentor
    There are now 181 patches for Vista!

http://thehotfixshare.net/download/i...Neutral/Vista/
    Gigabyte EP45-DQ6 - rev 1.0, F13a bios | Intel Q9450 Yorkfield 413x8=3.3GHz | OCZ ProXStream 1000W PSU | Azuen X-Fi Prelude 64MB X-RAM| WD VelociRaptor 74HLFS-01G6U0 16MB cache 74GB - 2 drive RAID 0 64k stripe | ASUS 9800GT Ultimate 512MB RAM (128 SP!!) | G.SKILL PC2-8800 4GB kit @ 1100MHz | OCZ ATV Turbo 4GB USB flash | Scythe Ninja Copper + Scythe 120mm fan | BenQ M2400HD 24" 16:9 LCD | Plextor 716SA 0308; firmware 1.11 | Microsoft Wireless Entertainment Desktop 8000 | Netgear RangeMax DG834PN 108mbps; firmware 1.03.39 + HAWKING HWUG1 108mbps USB dongle | Digital Doc 5+ | 7 CoolerMaster 80mm blue LED fans | Aopen H700A tower case | Vista Home Premium - 32bit, SP1

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Dower View Post
    There are now 181 patches for Vista!

http://thehotfixshare.net/download/i...Neutral/Vista/
    A lot of the updates I've gotten for Vista have been for defender or for outlook or office apps, not the actual OS itself, maybe im lucky and theres less patches for the 64-bit version.
    -=The Gamer=-
    MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) | i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz | 1.3875V | 28C Idle / 65C Load (LinX)
    8Gig G.Skill Ripjaw PC3-12800 9-9-9-24 @ 1600Mhz w/ 1.5V | TR Ultra eXtreme 120 w/ 2 Fans
    Sapphire 7950 VaporX 1150/1500 w/ 1.2V/1.5V | 32C Idle / 64C Load | 2x 128Gig Crucial M4 SSD's
    BitFenix Shinobi Window Case | SilverStone DA750 | Dell 2405FPW 24" Screen
    -=The Server=-
    Synology DS1511+ | Dual Core 1.8Ghz CPU | 30C Idle / 38C Load
    3 Gig PC2-6400 | 3x Samsung F4 2TB Raid5 | 2x Samsung F4 2TB
    Heat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast