Thread: New MBP with glossy display

Xtreme Member

New MBP with glossy display

Hey there,
    I'm selling my entire system (Opteron, 8800gtx, 3gb memory, 24" dell) just to get one of those newmacbook pro 15" and install vista on it... quite funny, eh?

What do you think about glossy displays? I'm doing a lot with 3d graphics, but I'm not that sure about that display question...

cheers,
    luka
    Apple Mac Book Pro 15"

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i chose matte over glossy. while glossy looks extremely posh and nice and what have you, i find it a pain in the ... (insert random three letter word ending with ss here) to work with. basically you have to be in a room that is pretty much dark. because damn near everything reflects in it. i'm sitting behind the matte one now wearing a white shirt, a desk light right behind me. and i don't see any reflection.
    seeing as you're from germany, go to you closest media markt and have a look for yourself at glossy vs non glossy laptop displays. i guess that'll give you an idea. the mbp is no different.
    (i wouldn't have sold that system though. what to play with then? kept mine, just added the mbp to the list of toys uh-oh)
    sky / s!p - we are oldskool, dammit.

Xtreme Member
    I have the glossy display on just a regular Macbook, it does reflect quite a bit, but when you have the screen lit up its really hard to notice, if you are looking for reflections you will notice a few small ones but its really not that bad. The screen gets dirty really fast though, but ya go look and compare glossy and matte screens and see which you like better.

Xtreme Recruit
    this is a lol and a half cause i was thinking of doing the same thing (><)
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxxxRacer
    Can I sue Tt for emotional distress or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubar: Re Scientology
    The most worthless pile of crap ever thought up. people stupid enough to fall for it should be runover and then teabagged.

Xtreme Addict
    I have a glossy regular macbook and I love it.

I also have a matte finish 22inch samsung that i wish was the new glossy version.

The matte just always looks too grainy to me.
    CPU: Q6600 @ 3.6ghz G0 Week 37B
    Mobo: Asus P5k Deluxe
    Cooler: TRUE 120 (150cfm Delta)
    2xHR-05
    2xHR-09
    Mem: G.Skill 4x1Gb 6400HZ
    Vid: HIS 4850
    HDD: 80Gb 16mb Cache Raptor
    500Gb 7200.11 Seagate
    PSU: Enermax Noisetaker 600w
    Case: Thermaltake Armor (4x120mm 104CFM Panaflo)

3dmark06: 16k

Banned
    I bought one of the first 17" MBP's with the Glossy screen option on release day and I loved it. I never had any reflection problems no matter where I was and it just adds that much more clarity and color depth to the image. I thought it was totally worth it. If I were to do it again, it would be glossy.

Xtreme Member
    Thank you guys, just ordered one without glossy display . Can't wait to get it...
    Apple Mac Book Pro 15"

Xtreme Addict
    Littleluk please post a new thread on your impressions. I am going to be doing the same as you. Selling my Core 2 Desktop to help fund a MBP, the 15.4 inch 2.4GHZ model.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    the only one thing i was kinda disappointed with the new mbp is the graphical power under fusion / parallels.. it kinda sucks in my opinion. i tried playing gpl (grand prix legends) and it didn't really impress me (rather the opposite). but then again, i guess i will need to do a native windows install on this rig and see what comes off it then. because fusion, however good it is, it just doesn't cut the cheese for me in 3d-application land. for everything else it is the bomb. at one point i didnt realize i was running xp64b pro (trial) and xp32b pro at the same time... thought closing the window ended that vm (didn't) lol...
    you'll love your new toy though - i do.

Xtreme Addict
    I don't think you will ever see full 100% speed in 3d graphics in a VM setting. And really with bootcamp, I just don't see it being needed.

Xtreme Addict
    I would kill for one of the new MBPs. I would love to sell my MacBook I have now and get myself a nice 15" MBP. I think I would nut my pants if I had one in my possession right now.

27" iMac
    3.06GHz Core 2 Duo
    8GB DDR3
    1TB HDD + 2TB Ext + 1TB Ext
    ATI HD 4670 256MB

20" iMac
    2.4GHz Core 2 Duo
    2GB+1GB G.Skill DDR2
    320GB HDD
    ATI HD 2600 Pro 256MB

16GB iPhone 3GS

GamerTag: ugp
    GamerTag: SadisticPuppets

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i scratched the shell of mine today. on the day of its 2 week in my posession / release anniversary and it ticked me off immensely. going to get me one of these 30 bucks casing / bags to put it into when carrying it around to work in my backpack tomorrow. it's a very minor scratch and not deep at all but heck... i'm already thinking of getting something like these carpaint scratch removing kits, doh.

besides..the 3d power is weird. ut2k4 (native osx demo) seems to be slowish (to me anyway) at 800x600 but max payne 1 rocks da block in 1024.. *under vmware fusion trial) which i find weird. i guess i have to get fraps to see how the pc stuff is doing in emulation. grand prix legends def. is unplayable in vm fusion.
    bootcamp / real windows install will probably be the best thing to test the real power of that 8600m gt. but i'm not yet ready for that... dammit only 70g left of the 160g after just 2 weeks . i'm missing my fileserver at home

Xtreme Addict
    I have a 160GB in my MacBook. I store all my music on my External Firewire drive. And then I have my old 80GB HDD from my MacBook in a 2.5" exclosure that is self USB-Powered so I can take my music with me if I need to. Works great and saves me all my HDD space.

27" iMac
    3.06GHz Core 2 Duo
    8GB DDR3
    1TB HDD + 2TB Ext + 1TB Ext
    ATI HD 4670 256MB

20" iMac
    2.4GHz Core 2 Duo
    2GB+1GB G.Skill DDR2
    320GB HDD
    ATI HD 2600 Pro 256MB

16GB iPhone 3GS

GamerTag: ugp
    GamerTag: SadisticPuppets

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sky View Post
    i scratched the shell of mine today. on the day of its 2 week in my posession / release anniversary and it ticked me off immensely. going to get me one of these 30 bucks casing / bags to put it into when carrying it around to work in my backpack tomorrow. it's a very minor scratch and not deep at all but heck... i'm already thinking of getting something like these carpaint scratch removing kits, doh.
    Oh trust me I know exactly how that feels but I think in my case it was worse.... When I was on my London trip last year I accidentally dropped my laptop bag, a nice one at that, good padding, but it hit the edge of a chair right on the edge of the case and put a big dent in the side of my shiny 2 month old MBP. It gutted me for the next few months.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ugp View Post
    I would kill for one of the new MBPs. I would love to sell my MacBook I have now and get myself a nice 15" MBP. I think I would nut my pants if I had one in my possession right now.
    Haha me too.

But scratches... ya they just really aren't avoidable.. Its a shame cause apple's are just so dang sexy so its painful when you find a scratch.