Thread: My 1st semi-solid CPU pot

My 1st semi-solid CPU pot

Hi!

I just got almost finished my 1st semi-solid CPU countainer. Material is 99.99% oxygen free cu, it was real pain in the ass to machine without proper tooling for lathe.

Dimensions: Height 100mm, hole 61mm, walls 7.80mm and base 12mm

This is designed for dry-ice runs so there is not any central pole things, just basic steps. We will see how this performs under dry ice and maybe LN2 too

Stay tuned, i got another rod of copper and im planning to use cnc milling machine and extra long milling cutters to make LN2 pot with very complicated inner base desing

Pictures:
    http://xs216.xs.to/xs216/07242/sorvausta.JPG
    http://xs216.xs.to/xs216/07242/sorvausta2.JPG
    http://xs216.xs.to/xs216/07242/pohja.JPG
    http://xs216.xs.to/xs216/07242/mallausta.JPG
    Last edited by Kizmo; 06-12-2007 at 04:17 AM.

Egyptian OverClocker
    one thing to say

WIDE
    Soon to be :
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe, Intel SB i7-2600k, G.Skill Rj-X F3-12800CL6D-4GBXH, MSI HD6950 2GB, Corsair 750AX, Intel 80GB G2 SSD, DELL U2410

Used to be: SaFrOuT

Wanna look under my kilt?
    IMHO its too wide to insulate properly/easily because of the mounting bolt positions.

I like the general idea though. If it was maybe 15mm narrower it would help a lot

Welcome to XS

K
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Quote Originally Posted by K404 View Post
    IMHO its too wide to insulate properly/easily because of the mounting bolt positions.

I like the general idea though. If it was maybe 15mm narrower it would help a lot

Welcome to XS

K
    I knew this, its not bad actually, when pot is at center of cpu, there is about 15mm space between mounting bolts and pot, and im planning to stick those bolts through the insulation (armaflex) (its hard to explain) so it will insulate nicely

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i love wide pots, my one will be even wider actually ; )
    i doubt you'll have mounting problems with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Revv23 View Post
    Welcome to Xtremesystems.org, from 8ghz p4's, to the big bang theory. From quantum computing, to shady government military research conspiracies, From four-thousand watt power supplies, to lessons in physics, we've got it all. Grab your popcorn and sit down, it's gonna be a while.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I also thought that the more material overhanging the board creates more condensation problems.

Thats why MM and KP keep their pots just as wide as the CPU and not much more.

Xtreme n00berclocker
    Quote Originally Posted by \Karting_freak View Post
    i love wide pots, my one will be even wider actually ; )
    i doubt you'll have mounting problems with it.
    You dont always need the biggest for better load temps just need a good design. 2.6-2.75 should be the perfect size.

Quote Originally Posted by Kizmo View Post
    I knew this, its not bad actually, when pot is at center of cpu, there is about 15mm space between mounting bolts and pot, and im planning to stick those bolts through the insulation (armaflex) (its hard to explain) so it will insulate nicely
    How are you going to mount that? You going to use something like team japan uses or is the pot not done get.

Quote Originally Posted by filmbot View Post
    I also thought that the more material overhanging the board creates more condensation problems.

Thats why MM and KP keep their pots just as wide as the CPU and not much more.
    Well mouses is pretty big. I dont think 3 inches is needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3oh6
    damn you guys...am i in a three way and didn't know it again
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian y.
    Im exclusively benching ECS from this point forward

Xtreme Enthusiast
    His is big, but the width is raised up away from the board, not down close to it.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    You dont always need the biggest for better load temps just need a good design.
    you are correct here.
    2.6-2.75 should be the perfect size
    it depends. better to have a wider one if you're going DI
    How are you going to mount that? You going to use something like team japan uses or is the pot not done get.
    the thread title says semi-solid so i belive yes, he'll be doing some more work on it ; )
    mouses are bad performance-wise imo. too little mass and surface. if we're speaking rev4 here, those speps do not work at all, they cool the insulation when they're far from the bottom ; )
    @Kizmo
    is it a finished product?
    its 77mm wide, right? thats a bit less than 3in, am i correct here?
    Welcome to Xtremesystems.org, from 8ghz p4's, to the big bang theory. From quantum computing, to shady government military research conspiracies, From four-thousand watt power supplies, to lessons in physics, we've got it all. Grab your popcorn and sit down, it's gonna be a while.

Xtreme n00berclocker
    you are correct here.
    the thread title says semi-solid so i belive yes, he'll be doing some more work on it ; )
    mouses are bad performance-wise imo. too little mass and surface. if we're speaking rev4 here, those speps do not work at all, they cool the insulation when they're far from the bottom ; )
    Have you even ever had a dry ice or ln2 pot or are you just going off what you have read on the forums? You obviously still know little about the subject and how heat is transferred.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3oh6
    damn you guys...am i in a three way and didn't know it again
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian y.
    Im exclusively benching ECS from this point forward

\Karting_freak: Yep, it is 77mm wide.

That is not ready yet.

- There will be brazed about 100mm piece of 60mm copper tube on the top of solid part (thats why i called this semisolid..) It makes total lenght just about 200mm.
    - Mounting is done with basic hold down pressing pot against cpu from solid part.
    - Whole pot will be sandblasted all over (exept bottom..), that makes nice and smooth surface and it is a lot easier than polishing

I dont see wide base as problem, todays motherboards have plenty of room for insulation and electrolytic capacitors will be gone too because of digital pwm's. I will use 2-layer insulation with this pot, first layer will be solid insulation tubes for 60mm and 80mm pipes (upper and lower parts) and 2nd layer will be neoprene wrapping which covers up everything (mounting bolts, hold down etc..)

Xtreme Member
    you are correct here.
    @Kizmo
    is it a finished product?
    its 77mm wide, right? thats a bit less than 3in, am i correct here?

I think you misunderstand the point of the step on the Rev.4, they're to keep the cold as far from the board as possible. The Rev. 3 and 4 pots are not meant to be used with dry ice, they can be, but they're designed for LN2. Don't bad mouth his designs until you've used one, I can assure you they work great. I'm not going to say they're perfect or that better pots can't be made, but they're atleast as good as anything else to date.

OP, nice pot, it does look wide, and insulation will be difficult, but I think it'll work fine for you. Good luck benching, show us some good numbers.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    yes, it will work nice for DI but its not that great according to the physics book ; ) heat will not make it 20cm high with just 8mm (or about that) walls. thats why i like massive base much more, but sure, its up for anybody to choose what the like best ; )
    i was not going to bad mouth his desgins, they are good, but not my taste.

Xtreme Addict
    Somewhere on earth between Taipei, Paris and Montreal
    I love this pot !

Ln2 design can only be compared during benchs :/

I've an alu pot that perform better than copper one...
    Overclocking-TV Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by hipro5 View Post
    Ha, ha, ha.....NO WAY.....When I show someone preparing to take a shot, I hided the cigarette....

Quote Originally Posted by SaFrOuT View Post
    one thing to say

WIDE
    WIDE, so? what difference does it make is it wide or not? Nothing, but please in light me

Egyptian OverClocker
    what si wrong with wide, i didn't mention it as a negative or con.

i am just stating that it is wider than anything i seen before which is better afaik
    Soon to be :
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe, Intel SB i7-2600k, G.Skill Rj-X F3-12800CL6D-4GBXH, MSI HD6950 2GB, Corsair 750AX, Intel 80GB G2 SSD, DELL U2410

Used to be: SaFrOuT