Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it Safe to go Vista Yet?

Xtreme Member

Is it Safe to go Vista Yet?

Purchased a copy of Vista Ultimate good price on eBay. I know the day will come but is it here yet. Any Vista user think it is time to upgrade? Will one notice the less then idea gaming performance with Nvidia Vista drives?

Should I wait before upgrading?
    Have good hardware, like gaming with plenty of eye candy.
    Any thoughts guys, especially those that have alright made the jump?
    i7-930
    Asus Rampage III Extreme
    Corsaire PC3 2000C8 12G
    EVGA 480 GTX
    EVGA 450 for Phyx
    WD VelociRaptor 600
    Hitachi 2TGB Raid Mirror
    Asus Xonar D2X
    Corsair 800D
    Watercooled

Banned
    I bought Vista Ultimate retail because I needed MCE for my HTPC and I found it kinda silly to pay for MCE2005. Had major probs with Nvidias drivers off the bat but it is straightend out now.

I have full funtionality except for a couple little issues. One is I am having problems with Vista dropping my internet connection and the other is one channel will go to snow on my Nvidia DualTV MCE after about a minute. Other than that it is rock stable and runs 24/7 for about 5 Months now.

To be honest, if I didnt need a copy of MCE when Vista was already out, I would have waited for a compelling DX10 game to make the switch.

Xtreme Guru
    i use vista x64 ultimate, no issues with nvidia drivers, all games run fine, i run stalker, COD2, DIRT, CS Source, Day of defeat, the only issue is creatives drivers, its good but not great.........overall i love using vista, its a nice change from XP, gaming is about 5 percent slower, wich isnt a big deal enless you are into benchmarking for the highest score............i use vista as my MAIN OS now, its been 2 months, and im happy overall, as time goes on Vista will mature and become everyones main OS.......give it late 2007 and most of us will be on VISTA.

Xtreme Addict
    As safe as moving from Win2k to WinXP in 2002, and useless of course. I personally used Win2K till 2005. That's when XP started to be more practical then Win2k (games related), by 2006 became necessary for gamers. I could say the same thing about Vista, 2 or 4 years will pass, till it starts to be practical - of course, I'm referring to 64 Bit version. By then 32 Bit version will be to memory ,what FAT32 was to HDD - a thing of the past.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by XSAlliN View Post
    As safe as moving from Win2k to WinXP in 2002, and useless of course. I personally used Win2K till 2005. That's when XP started to be more practical then Win2k (games related), by 2006 became necessary for gamers. I could say the same thing about Vista, 2 or 4 years will pass, till it starts to be practical - of course, I'm referring to 64 Bit version. By then 32 Bit version will be to memory ,what FAT32 was to HDD - a thing of the past.
    Yeah, but if games are the deciding factor, as you seem to indicate is the case for you, then there is this big gap between current OS's and Vista called DirectX 10. If you are going to do without that for more years, then yeah sure. But if gaming is your thing, that seems like a tall order.

YouTube Addict
    If there is no benefit, why spend money?
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Xtreme Addict
    There's still plenty of incompatibilities with many programs.

like a simple one would be google desktop doesn't work on vista and there's even a law suit going on because of it.
    CPU: Q6600 @ 3.6ghz G0 Week 37B
    Mobo: Asus P5k Deluxe
    Cooler: TRUE 120 (150cfm Delta)
    2xHR-05
    2xHR-09
    Mem: G.Skill 4x1Gb 6400HZ
    Vid: HIS 4850
    HDD: 80Gb 16mb Cache Raptor
    500Gb 7200.11 Seagate
    PSU: Enermax Noisetaker 600w
    Case: Thermaltake Armor (4x120mm 104CFM Panaflo)

3dmark06: 16k

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by turtletrax View Post
    I bought Vista Ultimate retail because I needed MCE for my HTPC and I found it kinda silly to pay for MCE2005. Had major probs with Nvidias drivers off the bat but it is straightend out now.

I have full funtionality except for a couple little issues. One is I am having problems with Vista dropping my internet connection and the other is one channel will go to snow on my Nvidia DualTV MCE after about a minute. Other than that it is rock stable and runs 24/7 for about 5 Months now.

To be honest, if I didnt need a copy of MCE when Vista was already out, I would have waited for a compelling DX10 game to make the switch.
    I'm waiting for that compelling game to upgrade. And it better be a good game too because I will have to buy a DX10 videocard at the same time. Halo2 is NOT that game.

BTW, gotta love this "Vista effect" on DDR2 RAM prices... the ram manufacturers went into overdrive mass producing tons of DDR2 ram anticipating a huge Vista migration that never happened... and then DDR3 came out and made it worse for anybody with a warehouse filled with DDR2.
    Join the XtremeSystems WCG crunching team!
    Register and download the program here.
    Choose the "BOINC" version when prompted then install.
    Questions? Click here or here.
    It's for great causes like CURING CANCER, MS, AIDS, and other stuff you should hope you never get.
    Plus it's the best system stability test ever invented!

Banned
    What's your definition of safe? I'm a Technology Coordinator at a charter school in TN, we have a 1:1 laptop program (every child gets a laptop) of about 700 users, all of which have Vista Ultimate 32-bit edition. The only problem we had through the upgrade wasn't with Vista at all, but with our imaging software, Ghost Solution Suite. But as far as Vista is concerned the upgrade was flawless. Before you upgrade just make sure all your hardware is compatible and you won't have any problems. As for the overall stability of the OS, just make sure you have plenty of RAM (atleast 1 GB). It seems that with Vista, the more RAM you have the more stable the system will be.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathspine View Post
    Purchased a copy of Vista Ultimate good price on eBay. I know the day will come but is it here yet. Any Vista user think it is time to upgrade? Will one notice the less then idea gaming performance with Nvidia Vista drives?

Should I wait before upgrading?
    Have good hardware, like gaming with plenty of eye candy.
    Any thoughts guys, especially those that have alright made the jump?
    It has been safe since the day hit retail shelves IMHO.

Short Answer: Nope.
    I'll be Looking at it After SP1.. and even then, No guarantee I'll like what I see then...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FragTek View Post
    It has been safe since the day hit retail shelves IMHO.
    Yeah I completely agree. We were the first to use it in a mass deployment and it went flawlessly. Just make sure you have atleast 1GB of RAM, and all your hardware has drivers that are supported. If you do those 2 things you shouldn't have a problem.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OkydOky View Post
    Short Answer: Nope.
    I'll be Looking at it After SP1.. and even then, No guarantee I'll like what I see then...
    And why not? This OS is fine, the only thing I don't like about Vista is how RAM hungry it is. Besides that it works fine. People who have problems with Vista are usually, dare I say, "n00bs", who don't check to see if all drivers are available, and don't meet recommended hardware requirements.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Old expression: If it ain't broke then don't fix it.
    I also don't like being an unpaid beta tester for Microsoft so I will be on XP Pro for a long time to come.
    I use Win2K3 enterprise for the crunchers..64 bit on one and 32 bit on the other and that is a wonderfull OS IMO..
    Machines run at 100% load 24/7 and never have issues and I mean never.
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Baleful View Post
    And why not? This OS is fine, the only thing I don't like about Vista is how RAM hungry it is. Besides that it works fine. People who have problems with Vista are usually, dare I say, "n00bs", who don't check to see if all drivers are available, and don't meet recommended hardware requirements.
    The OS was released before it should have been, It is Incomplete IMO.
    Also, yes it is RAM hungry.. again too early.. with those requirements it has, it should be released when the ram it needs to run smoothly is more commonly used in systems.. the jump in memory requirements from XP is simply nuts... and I though XP from 2k was crazy...

Xtreme Member
    I have been using Vista for quite some time now (since the beta stages) and IMHO, Vista as an OS is very stable.
    However, what I have realized is that ultimately it comes down to what exactly is PC gonna be used for -

1) Gaming,
    2) HTPC, or
    3) Day-to-day activities like email/word/excel and other similar office apps.

1) Gaming - I still prefer to stick with XP as I really don't see a need to switch to Vista as the benefits are none, at least till the time DX10 capable games are released. XP is lighter on resources than VISTA and the framerates are much better as well.

2) HTPC - Again, Vista offers absolutely no substantial benefits over XP MCE when it comes to a HTPC setup. In fact Vista has quite a few bugs to be sorted out before Vista MCE can go mainstream.

Problems like LIVE TV and HDTV stuttering are still present in Vista and none of current audio/video decoders like Purevideo/Cyberlink offer a full solution to this problem.
    Additionally the video card drivers for Vista still aren't mature enough and certain issues like HDTV overscan and S3 standby support needs to be addressed at the earliest.
    With Vista's new audio stack, a lot of people are having problems configuring their 5.1 DD Live, DTS audio setup, especially the ones who have cards based on the cmedia 8738, 8768, and 8788 OxygenHD chips.

3) This is where Vista is able to compete neck to neck with XP and you can't go wrong with either. To those who like to keep up with the current technology trend and have the bucks to spend on an upgrade to Vista and/or Office '07, you will not be dissapointed.
    BREAKING NEWS For Friday 26th June 2009: Casper the friendly ghost was molested in the early hours of this morning!

Xtreme Member
    I know I have said this on multiple threads, but look at dual booting with it for the best of both worlds. You can play around with Vista until you are comfortable and switch completely if you want later. Vista is here to stay. Not like MS is going to say, "Hey, you know what? Let's just go back to XP!"

I find Vista pretty stable now, and most of my issues have been addressed. There are some niggling things that are minor annoyances (mainly from the driver vendors and not the OS itself). Also, your might try ultimate and screw around with 64 bit if you have not before. I was surprised at how easy it was to get everything working well, and it is more secure. I actually was pleasantly surprised in this respect.
    System1
    Intel QX6700-EVGA 680i NF68-4Gb Corsair Dominators- 2x EVGA 8800GTX in SLI...and other goodness...all packed in a Cosmos S.

System2
    Intel E8400, EVGA 790i Ultra, SLI GTX 280s, 2GB Patriot DDR3 2000, WD 150GB Raptors x2, Soundblaster Titanium, MM U2-UF0. (Fuzion v.2, EVGA Hydro16s, Swiftech 655 and 355, Thermochill 120.3 and 120.2)

Main System:
    Great wife, 2 boys, one girl, and contentment.

Xtreme Member

Thanks

Thanks to all for the input, I think I will wait a little longer before changing my OS.
    i7-930
    Asus Rampage III Extreme
    Corsaire PC3 2000C8 12G
    EVGA 480 GTX
    EVGA 450 for Phyx
    WD VelociRaptor 600
    Hitachi 2TGB Raid Mirror
    Asus Xonar D2X
    Corsair 800D
    Watercooled

i'll get it when xp becomes a pain...it seems the reverse at the moment.
    i7 3610QM 1.2-3.2GHz

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Baleful View Post
    What's your definition of safe? I'm a Technology Coordinator at a charter school in TN, we have a 1:1 laptop program (every child gets a laptop) of about 700 users, all of which have Vista Ultimate 32-bit edition. The only problem we had through the upgrade wasn't with Vista at all, but with our imaging software, Ghost Solution Suite. But as far as Vista is concerned the upgrade was flawless. Before you upgrade just make sure all your hardware is compatible and you won't have any problems. As for the overall stability of the OS, just make sure you have plenty of RAM (atleast 1 GB). It seems that with Vista, the more RAM you have the more stable the system will be.

yeah but try and upgrade a desktop system, pre loaded vista usually doesnt have problems.

i dare you to install vista on a custom build with like semy new, semy old parts , sheeet sucks ass.
    FX-8350(1249PGT) @ 4.7ghz 1.452v, Swiftech H220x
    Asus Crosshair Formula 5 Am3+ bios v1703
    G.skill Trident X (2x4gb) ~1200mhz @ 10-12-12-31-46-2T @ 1.66v
    MSI 7950 TwinFrozr *1100/1500* Cat.14.9
    OCZ ZX 850w psu
    Lian-Li Lancool K62
    Samsung 830 128g
    2 x 1TB Samsung SpinpointF3, 2T Samsung
    Win7 Home 64bit
    My Rig

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tbone8ty View Post
    yeah but try and upgrade a desktop system, pre loaded vista usually doesnt have problems.

i dare you to install vista on a custom build with like semy new, semy old parts , sheeet sucks ass.
    You mean something like a p4 system with a gig of ram... with a 925xe chipset (p5ad2-e). In fact I pushed the upgrade button instead of doing a clean install, just so I could see it break, I was pleasantly suprised when the upgrade worked right.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I am running vista and I kind of like it. it does run better then xp but it takes some time to get used to. I have found very little that will not work with it.

One and only thing I do recomend for anyone that is even thinking about vista try and get 2GB of ram but if you cant really afford it then don't go less then 1GB. If you cant get 1GB then you need to tell yourself that you cant go vista. just my thoughts on it all.

Xtreme Mentor
    yeah im sure there are succes stories but ive just heard horror stores with upgrading from xp on a custom machine.

livecare wont work and that microsoft checks to see if u have a validation like every 2 seconds and when upgrading the video card it thought it was a new machine and wouldnt work so u have to call microsoft and talk to a guy named "andrew" with a think indian accent.

and u cant load it on multiple machines or what if u have to reformat or get a better hardrive? u have to buy another f'in copy. microsoft is gay

ill be sticking with xp for awhile.
    FX-8350(1249PGT) @ 4.7ghz 1.452v, Swiftech H220x
    Asus Crosshair Formula 5 Am3+ bios v1703
    G.skill Trident X (2x4gb) ~1200mhz @ 10-12-12-31-46-2T @ 1.66v
    MSI 7950 TwinFrozr *1100/1500* Cat.14.9
    OCZ ZX 850w psu
    Lian-Li Lancool K62
    Samsung 830 128g
    2 x 1TB Samsung SpinpointF3, 2T Samsung
    Win7 Home 64bit
    My Rig

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by CandymanCan View Post
    Heh iv been surfing the Internet for like 40 min now and the damn thing is already using 1331MB. So its claims anyway 35% usage of my Physicle ram, altho where the pagefile used to be in XP it just says Memory there now and says 650. Im not sure if thats the actually mem usage or if that is the pagefile
    yeah vista uses all the memory and I am not sure I care for how it does it.

Horror storys. I have read them all too. The only real problem I have found is people that say all the bad horror storys are trying to run vista on a p4 northwood 2.8chip and 1GB of ram.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by littleowl View Post
    yeah vista uses all the memory and I am not sure I care for how it does it.

Horror storys. I have read them all too. The only real problem I have found is people that say all the bad horror storys are trying to run vista on a p4 northwood 2.8chip and 1GB of ram.
    For desktop and a few other things its ok to run with 1 gig of ram. If they are playing a game though you need 2 gigs of ram.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast