Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: The impact of tubing sizes

Xtreme Enthusiast
    hmmmmmmm......
    Hardware :Asus Rampage Extreme, 4870X2 (Crossfire X) EK FC Blocks, CPU Q9550@490FSB/4,180Ghz, RAM 4GB DDR3, Auzentech Prelude X-fi,PSU - Thermaltake Toughpower 1200 Watt,
    3 Loops with TFCs360 and a PA.120.2/DDCs.

Quote Originally Posted by HiJon89 View Post
    IanY there are just some things you learn after you spend 5 minutes on this forum. For example, you don't disagree with Hipro5, OPB, Bigtoe, or Eva2000 when it comes to RAM. You don't disagree with Chilly1, PC Ice, or jinu when it comes to phase change. You don't disagree with k|ngp|n, Kinc, Sampsa, Lardarse, or OPPAINTER when it comes to 3D benching. And you sure as hell don't disagree with Cathar when it comes to water cooling. (or Maxxx or Marci for that matter)
    Sir,

With all due respect, I will disagree and argue with whoever and whomever I see fit, including the Queen of England and the Emperor of Japan.

As far as I am concerned, everyone puts on their pants a leg at a time, and the last time I checked, we all sat on the potty at 3 or 4 years old, whether or not the potty was made of plastic or gold. The resulting output remains the same, no matter which continent we are on.

I will not subscribe to stuff spouted out as widely as my leaky garden hose connection to the faucet. This is the same guy, not too long ago, that swayed public opinion from 3/8 to 1/2 and then back down to 7/16, and now its back to 3/8 and he's even suggesting 5/16.
    As far as I am concerned, he's just another product innovator, of which there are a baker's dozen. He's made his mark via a product, where the product's intellectual property was sold/transferred. He couldn't even yield commercial success out of the product. Reminds me of Xerox, which invented just about everything that one can mention, but could not generate any commercial success out of any of its inventions. Visions of the phrase "washed up" come to mind.
    Last edited by IanY; 06-12-2007 at 07:47 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by IanY View Post
    With all due respect, I will disagree and argue with whoever and whomever I see fit
    Then get used to being the laughing stock of the forum

File Server:
    Super Micro X8DTi
    2x E5620 2.4Ghz Westmere
    12GB DDR3 ECC Registered
    50GB OCZ Vertex 2
    RocketRaid 3520
    6x 1.5TB RAID5
    Zotac GT 220
    Zippy 600W

3DMark05: 12308
    3DMark03: 25820

Then get used to being the laughing stock of the forum
    Like I said, all are free to laugh all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Cathar View Post
    Face it. You're just cranky 'cos after 2000+ posts of getting up everyone's noses, you never once posted anything really informational. Just hot air and chest beating attitude. Someone comes along and shows you how it's done, and now you're all bitter. Once again you have cast the first stone in name-calling by offensively implying that everyone is just a pack of religious followers, yet you then try to hold your hands up and claim that you don't engage in little boy antics.

I say to you quite truly: "Grow up!"
    Ouch!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	damn_owned.jpg 
Views:	1641 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	60466  

Xtreme Member
    Ian I thought you wanted to stay off trouble? Nice bomb drop

I agree with you that even the watercooling "gods" can be questioned, and in fact I think it should happen more often. But you got no real argument other than a tubing misunderstanding!

Xtreme Member
    IanY there are just some things you learn after you spend 5 minutes on this forum. For example, you don't disagree with Hipro5, OPB, Bigtoe, or Eva2000 when it comes to RAM. You don't disagree with Chilly1, PC Ice, or jinu when it comes to phase change. You don't disagree with k|ngp|n, Kinc, Sampsa, Lardarse, or OPPAINTER when it comes to 3D benching. And you sure as hell don't disagree with Cathar when it comes to water cooling. (or Maxxx or Marci for that matter)
    If everyone agreed with you then there would be no innovation and nothing to build upon.

If I have evidence that something anyone said is wrong I sure as hell will argue about it with them no matter who they are.

Im not saying I agree with Iany on this one but I think this statement is completely false and should not be followed by anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by migueld View Post
    Ian I thought you wanted to stay off trouble? Nice bomb drop
    I make exceptions when I smell the foul stench in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by [XC] riptide View Post
    Ouch!
    A guy that posts an infantile image from a website called plasticnipple.com wants to talk to me about growing up?

I was around before you were an itch in your ... never mind...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by bartsimsonii View Post
    If I have evidence that something anyone said is wrong I sure as hell will argue about it with them no matter who they are.
    What evidence could you have that such people wouldn't already know about? Any testing data you look at, they compiled. Any phase change guide you follow, they wrote. Any idea you think of, they thought of it first. By all means, feel free to argue with whoever you want, but let IanY's experiences with Cathar be a lesson to you. Mess with a legend, and you get put in your place

File Server:
    Super Micro X8DTi
    2x E5620 2.4Ghz Westmere
    12GB DDR3 ECC Registered
    50GB OCZ Vertex 2
    RocketRaid 3520
    6x 1.5TB RAID5
    Zotac GT 220
    Zippy 600W

3DMark05: 12308
    3DMark03: 25820

A guy that posts an infantile image from a website called plasticnipple.com wants to talk to me about growing up?

I was around before you were an itch in your ... never mind...
    IanY. I never told you to grow up in this thread anyway. Maybe you should reread... it was Cathar.

Unoriginal Macho Energy
    I can see Ian's point to a degree (playing devil's advocate here) as he has not been around that long and is enamored with Swiftech. He has every right to say whoa! WTF? However, Stew has presented pretty credible DATA to back up what he is saying, there is no blind faith here Ian - there is data to prove what he says. Arguing against something which is proven as fact is what is know as being an idiot. There is no theory to argue against here.

Ian you love to claim that you go 'against' the masses yet, the masses here are for big bore tubing. The impact of small tubing is far less detrimental than one would expect, sure there are small differences but not enough to lose sleep over.

Where is the 'stench' you speak of? I hope you like the role of class clown because you have more than earned it.

*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*
    GTZ --> MCW-NBMAX --> EK FC --> PA 120.3 --> PA 160.1 --> 2x DDC Ultras in Series --> Custom Clear Res
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."
    *:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*

Quote Originally Posted by ranker View Post
    Did you just get hit in the head with a heavy object? Because obviously you're failing at reading comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by nikhsub1 View Post
    I can see Ian's point to a degree (playing devil's advocate here) as he has not been around that long and is enamored with Swiftech. He has every right to say whoa! WTF? However, Stew has presented pretty credible DATA to back up what he is saying, there is no blind faith here Ian - there is data to prove what he says. Arguing against something which is proven as fact is what is know as being an idiot. There is no theory to argue against here.

Ian you love to claim that you go 'against' the masses yet, the masses here are for big bore tubing. The impact of small tubing is far less detrimental than one would expect, sure there are small differences but not enough to lose sleep over.

Where is the 'stench' you speak of? I hope you like the role of class clown because you have more than earned it.
    I love the role of class clown. Enjoying every minute of it.

Are the masses here for big bore tubing? Are they? What is that 7/16" ID nonsense that been spouted on here for eons ? I use 1/2" ID religiously and I am proud of it.

I haven't been around as long? Around in XS. Yeah.

That "scientific data" in the form of more charts were also around in ProCooling when he advocated going from 3/8 to 1/2. Then from 1/2 to 7/16. Now from 7/16 to 3/8.

I guess the laws of physics change every year.

And to address your point, I question Gabe as well. You saw me give him a bit of a hard time about the Stealth. However, at least Gabe had the gumption to call a spade a spade, and when the time for the Storm was up, Gabe also told it, but you guys chose to make fun of the Apogee design instead of looking into it.

It took a 13 year old boy to scream "WTF.. Stop putting vinegar into your radiators." Even then, he got ridiculed, and nobody ever gave him any credit.

I guess low flow and low pressure is now "in"... so you guys can stop buying the Petra tops!
    Last edited by IanY; 06-12-2007 at 09:22 AM.

Damn... I'm getting very close to inserting into the sig.

XIP - can sit on his hair
    Edit: You might have a look upon the Jonh Guest parts , altough I don't know if they have the same characteristics as the Legris parts.
    John Guest Pushfits... there are a few versions, but of the ones we have here... (no 12mm in stock at the mo as far as I can tell/find)

G1/4" > 8mm OD tubing PM010802E = 6.5mm bore thru the fitting
    G3/8" > 8mm OD tubing PM010813E = 6.5mm bore (2 diff versions of this fitting)
    G3/8" > 8mm OD tubing PM010803E = 7mm bore (2 diff versions of this fitting)
    G3/8" > 10mm OD tubing PM011013E = 10mm bore (but with a narrowing to 7mm at the base of the collar then back up to 10mm thru the threads)

or Marci for that matter)
    Meh - argue with me on anything u like, as long as you have some evidence to support your side of the argument. If someone says "Father Christmas exists" I say "prove it". It's down to the person making the claims to provide their unbias proof (pref via double-blind testing) to back it up. No proof = worthless claim.
    Last edited by Marci; 06-12-2007 at 08:31 AM.

Ok boys and girls, back on topic here. So if were going to make a recommendation to a NOOB what would be the verdict? Lets say were using the DDC-2, a D-Tek Fuzion and a MCW60. What tubing, tubing size, barbs, pushfits etc. are we using here?

Just thought I'd try to nail it down to help some peps out.

Well based on the results of Cathars tests, it barely makes difference. choose whatever tube size you want. You won't see a few degrees between smaller sized tubing. And I can back it up.

Since I'm in Europe - I've been using 10/8 tubes for years, when I 'upgraded' to 1/2" it barely made any difference in temperature. within a degree C probably.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I love the role of class clown. Enjoying every minute of it.

Are the masses here for big bore tubing? Are they? What is that 7/16" ID nonsense that been spouted on here for eons ? I use 1/2" ID religiously and I am proud of it.
    and the difference between the two is 1.6mm, they are both big bore tubing.

If it ain't watercooled, I don't wanna know.

To my mind Cathar has posted up data to rid any myths of big being better with respects to tubing so the masses are free to choose what they want and so with sound judgement. I think this is just a trolling attempt.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Terryb47 View Post
    Well based on the results of Cathars tests, it barely makes difference. choose whatever tube size you want. You won't see a few degrees between smaller sized tubing. And I can back it up.

Since I'm in Europe - I've been using 10/8 tubes for years, when I 'upgraded' to 1/2" it barely made any difference in temperature. within a degree C probably.
    Agree whole heartedly.

To me, that graph just says - choose what ever tubing you want, as it hardly makes a difference.

Taking into consideration, people choose tubing on bend radius, clarity, value for money, non stain properties.

If it ain't watercooled, I don't wanna know.

Xtreme Addict
    I think there is still value in 7/16" tubing over 1/2" barbs for the budget-minded general watercooler. You can get 7/16" cheaper than borch in Russia and the fit over the 1/2" barbs is close to perfect.

Where cost is not a concern, as Mekrel says, get the tubing that has the exact properties for your application and rest easy knowing you haven't compromised on performance.

Xtreme Member
    I think that it comes down to individual preference- Seeing the minor difference in just a CPU loop would tell us that it makes little difference what diameter we use. So if I was trying to watercool in a Shuttle case, I would use 7/16" ID 5/8" OD with some Coolsleeves to make those super-tight bends. At the same time, if I was watercooling in a Mozart case, I might go for 1/2" because there is no need for a smaller diameter tube and I can afford to lose space in such a big case.

I still would like to see a test done with at least another block. I vote Fuzion + a GPU block. Why? Because I think the differences might become more apparent as we introduce more restriction into the blocks.
    CNC Waterblock Builder
    Q9550, Rev. E0
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
    4GB G.Skill DDR2-1000
    eVga GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked
    3 Western Digital 80GB, RAID 0; 500GB Seagate 7200.11
    Silverstone OP750 PSU

Extreme Watercooling
    Swiftech MCR-QP 360
    D-Tek Fuzion v1
    Laing D5
    D-Tek Fuzion GFX rev. 2

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by Marci View Post
    Meh - argue with me on anything u like, as long as you have some evidence to support your side of the argument. If someone says "Father Christmas exists" I say "prove it". It's down to the person making the claims to provide their unbias proof (pref via double-blind testing) to back it up. No proof = worthless claim.

Sorry marci, i just had to do it

@ Iany, i say we do what we do best. Just do your own tests and see if it does indeed not make a big difference.

3/8 Barbs and 3/8 tubing is like buying a cup of coffee for you and me. :P
    Last edited by NaeKuh; 06-12-2007 at 11:24 AM.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Legend
    LOL. I don't mind people questioning me at all. I enjoy it actually and it is productive. Been wrong plenty of times.

That's not what occurred here though. IanY comes in, slagging off the forum member base, insulting me*, and then proceeds to ask questions which were already answered and explained in the text in a transparent attempt to point score. I'll play amateur psychologist and say that it is quite clear that IanY's comments are motivated with a large dose of jealousy, because he mistakes the respect that people give for studying a subject in depth, as merely just blindly following.

I could care less if people want to question or rebuke what is presented. If that's done you had better bring something other than sarcasm, or a flat-out denial to the table, and back up your statements with proof. Anything less is just yourself asking people to believe you without proof, and that more than anything defines how some religions operate.

* - anyone who has known me for long enough knows that I actually take some measure of offense at the w/c god references - I'm actually a fairly humble person and that sits very uncomfortably with me. I consider many who use the term to actually be using it derisively. I'm just a person. I pursue knowledge aggressively, and am always happy to share and discuss it. I derive satisfaction from sharing and discussing things with people, not from being unquestionably listened to.

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiber9 View Post
    The g1/4 BSPP for 10/8 tubing push-fit is 7mm at the end, and as you move to bigger tubing, say 3/8 or 1/2, the difference between tubing diameter and the push-fit is bigger, because it still is 7mm at the end.
    The only way to make them equal to the tubing inner diameter is to ream (porting) them.
    Being the case, the only tubing diameter that makes sense and can truly match the diameters of the tubing with the diameter of the push-fit is the 5/16 or 8mm ID.
    What you're saying is exactly why I primarily use G3/8 fittings on my blocks, and is exactly why Thermochill do on their radiators. G1/4 fittings often do have smaller orifices in the threaded section than the tubing size is.

You're quite right in that some manufacturer's parts might requiring reaming (porting) to obtain the full flow benefit.

Yes, if you use the inserts you will add extra restriction. I've used 1/2" OD tubing fittings in the past without inserts without issues. Inserts are to quick-fit fittings much like hose-clamps are to barbs. You can get by without them safely enough so long as you're not pulling and dragging on the tubing.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast