Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Asus P5K Deluxe users - SATA config chime in here

Memory Addict

Exclamation Asus P5K Deluxe users - SATA config chime in here

Was just posting about this on my forums and it occured to me should ask you folks as well regarding SATA issues you may have.

I don't have any issues as I'm using single SATA disks in SATA 2 and 5 ports.

But, according to 2-28 page of manual, SATA 3/4 are black slave DATA connectors, SATA 1/2/5/6 are red master Boot connectors... so which ever your OS boot disk is has to be on SATA 1 or 2 or 5 or 6 AFAIK... ???

P5K Deluxe owners, care to share if you have SATA issues and which SATA ports you're using ?
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by eva2000 View Post
    Was just posting about this on my forums and it occured to me should ask you folks as well regarding SATA issues you may have.

I don't have any issues as I'm using single SATA disks in SATA 2 and 5 ports.

But, according to 2-28 page of manual, SATA 3/4 are black slave DATA connectors, SATA 1/2/5/6 are red master Boot connectors... so which ever your OS boot disk is has to be on SATA 1 or 2 or 5 or 6 AFAIK... ???

P5K Deluxe owners, care to share if you have SATA issues and which SATA ports you're using ?
    I don't think folks had as much problems with SATA ind regular mode - it's the RAID that's the problem. Example, I used ports 1,2 to setup 2 150GB Raptors. System would not even boot once RAID option was selected for Intel raid in BIOS. It would just hang on Drive detection.

Board works perfectly otherwise.

Xtreme Member
    i have many raid issues and data lost one week ago.

iastor.sys BSOD and Array lose....

2 x Raptors @ SATA 1 and 2

and so after a very bad friday with many iastor-Errors and again Raid 0 Data Lose i switch from SATA 1 and 2 to SATA 1 and 5.

Now my Raid works without any issues. i hope the Asus or Intel will fix the Problems.
    Sorry for my bad english...

System1

System2

Memory Addict
    interesting webilli so SATA 1 + 5 works...

hope more users can chime in with their experiences so we can figure this out
    ---

Xtreme Mentor
    Running sata 1,2 and 5. Adding a disk to sata 6 causes problems with not read ports. Using 3 and/or 4 is very error prone. I have only 3 working sata ports I can count on at the moment. These are individual drives only, no RAID.

Xtreme Addict
    Using sata 1-5 in raid 0

6th sata for ODD, works fine here.
    Workstation:
    3960X | 32GB G.Skill 2133 | Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    3*EVGA GTX580 HC2 3GB | 3*Dell U3011
    4*Crucial M4 256GB R0 | 6*3TB WD Green R6
    Areca 1680ix-24 + 4GB | 2*Pioneer BDR-205 | Enermax Plat 1500W
    Internal W/C | PC-P80 | G19 | G700 | G27
    Destop Audio:
    Squeezebox Duet | Beresford TC-7520 Caiman modded | NAD M3 | MA RX8 | HD650 | ATH-ES7
    Man Cave:
    PT-AT5000E | TXP65VT30 | PR-SC5509 | PA-MC5500 | MA GX300*2, GXFX*4, GXC350 | 2*BK Monolith+
    Gaming on the go:
    Alienware M18x
    i7 2920XM | 16GB DDR3 1600
    2*6990 | WLED 1080P
    2*Crucial M4 256GB | BD-RW
    BT 375 | Intel 6300 | 330W PSU

2011 Audi R8 V10 Ibis White ABT Tuned - 600HP

I started off using SATA 5+6 RAID 0 no probs. Then I switched to 2+5 RAID0 for better cable management. The switch worked fine, just turned off computer replaced sata cables from 5+6 to 2+5 and booted up straight away.

Have been working with RAID0 for two weeks now without any issues.

EDIT: Also have a plextor dvdr on sata1. Works fine too.
    Last edited by mariniam; 06-11-2007 at 06:21 AM.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    You're right on the 'bootable' and 'non-bootable' ports George
    If you plug your windows/linux/os boot drive at ports 3/4 you won't be able to boot your OS.

Only played with the P5K3 for some hours, but had no problems using any RAID mode with x Drives

will report back if I hit an 'issue'
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I have 3 seagate 7200.10 SATA II AHCI enabled single drives on the RED ports(NO RAID) + 1 SATA DVD Rom on a black port

No issues what so ever...

My brother's is a mess though. 2 X 250GB SATA Maxtor Drives on the RED ports and 2 LITE-ON SATA DVD-RW's on the BLACK Ports. NO RAID either.

Drives just disappear on their own. Boot order changes on its own, so he gets boot errors all the time until he fixes the bios settings again.

Antec P180 SILVER
    Asus P8P67 Deluxe Bios 1602
    Intel Core I7 2600K @ 4.8ghz 1.295V Manual 24/7
    Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
    OCZ 700W PSU
    4X2GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz
    Seagate 1TB Samsung 1TB (X3)
    MSI Radeon HD 5850
    WINDOWS 7 PRO X64

Xtreme Addict
    I had a single raptor in black/4 and it booted up fine after sniffing around and saying it found no HDD. I used it like that for like 5 sessions and then switched it to Red/1 after I rtfm lolz. No problems at all but no need for raid either.

i have the P5K DELUXE using raid 0 with the 2 black ports. and one red port for my sata optical. and i have not experienced any instability wut so ever?
    1heone
    GA-P35- DQ6
    Q6600
    PNY 8800GTX
    4GB MUSHKIN DDR2 800 2X2GB
    PCP&C 750 WATTS QUAD
    2X1 RAID 0 HITACHI 250GB
    2X1 DVD RW'S LITE-ON
    ANTEC 900

Xtreme Cruncher
    No issues using Sata Ports 1-4 with my WD hard drives, all configured AHCI.

setup in sig. raptors are 1 and 5. 320gb is in sata2. raid 1 drives are in 3 and 4. sata burner is in 6.

a couple times on boot my raid 0 has said it's failed but a ctrl-alt-del fixes it right up.

haven't had any data corruption that i can tell. i have had random lockups when i'm not using the computer. i don't know whether it's my oc (9+ hours orthos stable), my windows vista, or an hdd issue. only once has it ever locked up while using it and it was while watching an hd movie. i can play css for hours with no issues though.

edit - my 320gb isn't listed in sig but it's just a wd3200ks that i use to back up my games cause i don't have anything else to do with it.
    ASUS P5K Deluxe
    Intel E6600 @ 3.2GHz w/ 1.5v
    4 x 1024MB PC2 6400 OCZ Platinum Rev.2 @ 800MHz (4-4-4-12) w/ 2.0v
    EVGA 8800GTX
    SoundBlaster X-Fi Platinum
    2 x WD1500ADFD RAID 0
    4 x WD5000AAKS RAID 0+1
    Tt Armor Aluminum Tower
    Enermax Galaxy 1000W DXX
    DELL 2405FPW

Using 5+6 for Raid 0 with RaptorX's. Using 2 for ODD. Interestingly I had a Plextor 712SA hooked up to 2 and that is wher I installed my OS from, but ever since then, the drive has been flaky at best. I tried sata1 with the same problems, so I tossed it and bought a new drive. Haven't had any problems with the3 new drive. I plan to add a second ODD in the next week or so. I'll try to report back if I remember.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Helevitia View Post
    Using 5+6 for Raid 0 with RaptorX's. Using 2 for ODD. Interestingly I had a Plextor 712SA hooked up to 2 and that is wher I installed my OS from, but ever since then, the drive has been flaky at best. I tried sata1 with the same problems, so I tossed it and bought a new drive. Haven't had any problems with the3 new drive. I plan to add a second ODD in the next week or so. I'll try to report back if I remember.
    I have my plextor Sata PX-755SA plugged into sata6 and I'm not having any issues (I've even burned a few Discs already). try upgrading your plextor firmware the latest is Version 1.09.

Asus Z9PE-D8 WS with 64GB of registered ECC ram.|Dell 30" LCD 3008wfp:7970 video card

LSI series raid controller
    SSDs: Crucial C300 256GB
    Standard drives: Seagate ST32000641AS & WD 1TB black
    OSes: Linux and Windows x64

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Are all SATA drives capable of using AHCI?

I wanted to test whether my WD2500KS on Port 1 had better performance using IDE or AHCI. I had installed Windows XP with the drive configured as IDE. When I changed the configuration to AHCI I got as far as the boot screen with this message:

Auto-Detecting AHCI Port 1..

I had to disconnect all drives to get back in the BIOS and change the configuration back to IDE.
    | Intel Core i7-2600K | ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 | G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1866 | EVGA GTS 450 |
    | Swiftech APOGEE Drive II CPU Waterblock with Integrated Pump | XSPC RX360 | Swiftech MCP655-B Pump | XSPC Dual 5.25in. Bay Reservoir |
    | Thermaltake 850W PSU | NZXT SWITCH 810 | Windows 7 64-bit |

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Quote Originally Posted by msgclb
    Are all SATA drives capable of using AHCI?
    Yes.

By the way some minutes ago I had a HDD disappearance during POST, but with a restart the HDD got detected again.
    It's kinda like a 'norm' situation with the latest Asus boards, this has happened with my P5B-D / Commando / P5W DH as well.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

raptor raid 0 at port 1 and 2, port 3456 for seagate 7200.10. works fine.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    Yes.
    If that's the case then any ideas why I can't boot with the drive configured as AHCI? I didn't even get to the Windows boot screen so I doubt that's the reason.

Added info:
    I just connected another WD2500KS drive to Port 1 and it was recognized with AHCI configured. It's formated but no OS.
    Last edited by msgclb; 06-12-2007 at 12:38 AM.
    | Intel Core i7-2600K | ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 | G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1866 | EVGA GTS 450 |
    | Swiftech APOGEE Drive II CPU Waterblock with Integrated Pump | XSPC RX360 | Swiftech MCP655-B Pump | XSPC Dual 5.25in. Bay Reservoir |

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Quote Originally Posted by msgclb View Post
    If that's the case then any ideas why I can't boot with the drive configured as AHCI? I didn't even get to the Windows boot screen so I doubt that's the reason.

Added info:
    I just connected another WD2500KS drive to Port 1 and it was recognized with AHCI configured. It's formated but no OS.
    You need to have AHCI enabled when installing windows ( and you will have to use F6 to load the AHCI drivers as well ).

You can 'use an alchemy' to 'move' to AHCI without re-installing drivers, but I wouldn't recommend doing it.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I had a hunch that was my problem.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Well from my experience i can say this board has a couple of issues with sata/raid configurations.

My first problem was 4 satas with 2 of them in raid0 with a sata dvdrw. The raid ones are raptor 36gb and the other 2 were one wd 320gb and one maxtor 300gb. Maxtor disk keep disappearing all the time...don't recognize.

After that i switch to 3 disk, i maintained the 2 raptors in raid0 ports 1&2 and plug a segate 750gb to port 5...this with an asus dvdrw in port 4 (black).

No problems with raid and vista, but i wanted to have a xp partition in segate, so i made a 50gb partition for that on segate.
    Everytime i tried to install xp i got bsod before i select my installation partition...

So i tried unplug the sata driver and plug an ide drive...no more problems...

Now i have XP and Vista, both working and no more errors or bsods.

Don't know why but this board is a little buggy with sata ports once raid its enable, maybe its a bios problem.

For me, more than 3 things connected to sata ports and i will have some problem...
    Asus P5E|E8600|2x2GB GSKill Pi|BFG 8800GTX

Xtreme Member
    Here is mine 3 raptors in matrix raid(0+0) and 1 750gb for storage. No problems as long as I use the red Sata ports
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drives.jpg 
Views:	3593 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	60460  
    "Behold, I am Funkadelic. I am not of your world. But fear me not, I will do you no harm. Loan me your funky mind and I shall play with it. For nothing is good unless you play with it. And all that is good, is nasty!"
    ("What Is Soul," Funkadelic, 1969)

Xtreme Member
    When loading the AHCI drivers do you need a floppy or can you do this via a usb flash drive?

Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    You need to have AHCI enabled when installing windows ( and you will have to use F6 to load the AHCI drivers as well ).

You can 'use an alchemy' to 'move' to AHCI without re-installing drivers, but I wouldn't recommend doing it.
    i7 920 @ 4.0GHz
    Scythe MUGEN-2 with Push/Pull
    Gigabyte EX58 UD5
    3X2GB G-Skill DDR3
    Sapphire 5870 1GB Vapor-X
    OCZ Agility 120GB
    24" Acer HDMI LCD
    Corsair TX850
    Lian-Li PC-V1000

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleclaw View Post
    When loading the AHCI drivers do you need a floppy or can you do this via a usb flash drive?
    Windows 2000/XP/2003/MCE = floppy, or integrate the drivers to your Windows installation disc ( manually or with nLite )

Windows Vista = yes, finally! Microsoft found the way to...a browse button & using every storage device available to pre-load the drivers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast