Thread: How much restriction IS a simple cpu loop?

I am Xtreme

How much restriction IS a simple cpu loop?

Trying to decide md-15 or D5 to replace my 50z and I can't seem to figure this out. With ~4' of tubing in a mid tower sized case running a pump>mcr220>fuzion>tline loop how much restriction am I looking at? I'm guessing around 6'?
    Phenom II 940 BE / ASUS M4A79 / HD5770 Crossfire
    3770mhz CPU 2600mhz NB | DDR1040 5-5-5-15 | 900/1250

Unoriginal Macho Energy
    Won't make a bit of difference. Get the D5, easier to deal with IMO.

*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*
    GTZ --> MCW-NBMAX --> EK FC --> PA 120.3 --> PA 160.1 --> 2x DDC Ultras in Series --> Custom Clear Res
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."

Quote Originally Posted by ranker View Post
    Did you just get hit in the head with a heavy object? Because obviously you're failing at reading comprehension.

Xtreme Legend
    Get a Laing DDC1 (the 10W ones) with a custom top.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathar View Post
    Is that because of the lower heat dump? I remember the D5 beating the DDC in a low restriction loop test petra did...

Nikhsub you're saying ~1gpm higher flow won't make any difference in reality? I find that strange as there's hardly any heat removal differences between mcr and thermochill rads, yet 3x the price, and you guys still go ape for thermochill...
    Last edited by afireinside; 06-10-2007 at 10:38 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathar View Post
    Now that will be reliable...

Unoriginal Macho Energy
    Quote Originally Posted by afireinside View Post
    Is that because of the lower heat dump? I remember the D5 beating the DDC in a low restriction loop test petra did...

Nikhsub you're saying ~1gpm higher flow won't make any difference in reality? I find that strange as there's hardly any heat removal differences between mcr and thermochill rads, yet 3x the price, and you guys still go ape for thermochill...
    Huh? The D5 and MD-15 are pretty similar in specs. That was the question you had. Between those 2 I'd go with the D5. Cathar's suggestion was out of the realm of your listed options. Personally, I agree with him.

GTZ --> MCW-NBMAX --> EK FC --> PA 120.3 --> PA 160.1 --> 2x DDC Ultras in Series --> Custom Clear Res
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."

Quote Originally Posted by ranker View Post
    Did you just get hit in the head with a heavy object? Because obviously you're failing at reading comprehension.

I am Xtreme
    Well at 6' head the md-15 pushed .5gpm more than the d5... looks pretty significant to me. Meanwhile the DDC1 is like 1gpm weaker than the D5. What's the reasoning behind using a DDC? I'm not discounting cathar, I'd trust his recommendation over anyones, but just looking at flow rates the DDC looks awful and a 10w heat dump difference doesn't seem like much when you already have ~150 from your CPU...

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by afireinside View Post
    Well at 6' head the md-15 pushed .5gpm more than the d5... looks pretty significant to me. Meanwhile the DDC1 is like 1gpm weaker than the D5. What's the reasoning behind using a DDC?
    Well, a DDC with a modded top.

Yes - the answer is because of a lower heat dump. Yes - the differences truly are minimal. How minimal? As in much less than 0.1C. The extra heat of the D5 will improve the waterblock performance, but also overcome that benefit with the extra heat.

Then again, running a D5 in position 3.5 on the dial would likely be about the same as the DDC with the modded top.

On these IHS capped Intel CPU's, I'm seeing near zero benefit to ever using a pump stronger than around 12-15W, and that's only with a triple radiator. With a double radiator, a 10W pump is all you need. Mind you, the penalties for using a stronger pump than needed (up to around 25W) are fairly small (<0.2C), so if a strong pump floats your boat and makes you feel better, then do it I guess, but just know that your paying for more power to go into a pump than you need, and it is making your temps slightly warmer as a result.

Xtreme Legend
    At a 150W CPU heat load (I honestly think that's a little overstated - but let's run with it), and a dual-core radiator with 60-70cfm fans at 12v (full speed), my wholistic system calculator predicts that a pump no stronger than 13W is needed.

That'd be a Laing D5 on the #4 setting. A top-modded Laing DDC-1 would be very close to optimal too. As for reliability of a top-modded DDC1, the call for comments thread seems to suggest that it'd either fail immediately (inherently faulty pump), or be fine.
    Last edited by Cathar; 06-10-2007 at 11:39 PM.

Xtreme Member
    The DDC 10W has less vibration and it's quieter than 18W. That, and the fact that it has much less heat dump makes it a nice choice.