MMM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OCZ Displays Carbon Nanotube Cooler

Xtreme Member

OCZ Displays Carbon Nanotube Cooler

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=7571
    The OCZ Hydrojet cooler uses an advanced heatsink material

The first heatsink to make use of directional carbon nanotubes, the OCZ Hydrojet, was on display at Computex 2007. Carbon nanotubes, an allotrope of carbon, are widely regarded as the next major thermal interface material because of their superior thermal conduction properties.

The contact base of the OCZ Hydrojet is made completely of carbon-nanotubes, which OCZ claims is five times more efficient than copper. Carbon nanotubes have been looked upon as a strong alternative to traditional copper based heatsinks. They are very ideal for application in heat transfer products because of their impressive heat-conduction properties. Carbon nanotube based interfaces have been shown to conduct more heat than conventional thermal interface materials at the same temperatures. In addition, they have shown to be ballistic conductors at room temperature, which means electrons can flow through CNTs without collisions.

Carbon nanotubes are small wire-like structures made out of a sheet of graphene. The sheet of graphene used to construct CNTs is roughly one-atom thick, and have been rolled up into a cylinder. The diameter of the cylinder ranges in the nanometers.

Unlike most other thermal materials, carbon nanotubes are able to move heat in one direction. On the other hand, copper, which is looked upon as one of the more superior thermal materials, moves heat radially. In the case of CNTs, heat is moved along the alignment of the nanotubes.
    WOW. I'm really surprised to see this technology being used for consumer applications already .
    Q6600 @ 3.4GHz - 1.4v, 4GB PC26400, Asus P5B-Deluxe WIFI, BFG 8800GTX OC2, (4x)Seagate 15k.5 SAS RAID0 on Adaptec 4805 w/128MB cache, approx 1.3TB SATA300, Gateway 24" LCD.

Egyptian OverClocker
    same as the Phase unit, will show it in Computex and such but won't reach the market any soon
    Soon to be :
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe, Intel SB i7-2600k, G.Skill Rj-X F3-12800CL6D-4GBXH, MSI HD6950 2GB, Corsair 750AX, Intel 80GB G2 SSD, DELL U2410

Used to be: SaFrOuT

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SaFrOuT View Post
    same as the Phase unit, will show it in Computex and such but won't reach the market any soon
    Ouch.
    That is all.

Peace and love.

D.F.I Pimp Daddy
    I thought their Phase Unit was to be released this summer?
    SuperMicro X8SAX
    Xeon 5620
    12GB - Crucial ECC DDR3 1333
    Intel 520 180GB Cherryville
    Areca 1231ML ~ 2~ 250GB Seagate ES.2 ~ Raid 0 ~ 4~ Hitachi 5K3000 2TB ~ Raid 6 ~

Xtreme Member
    yes, but does it work?

or is it just like the neural game controller?
    AMD 64 3700+ San Diego
    Geil Ultra 1GB PC3200 RAM
    250+640GB
    Sapphire X850XT PE
    SINGLEC0RE4EVER

all outta gum
    Hmm... carbon nanotube is equally wide on both ends, and it can have only two ends, so the hot surface is the same as bare core; so how do nanotubes improve anything?
    Last edited by G.Foyle; 06-09-2007 at 08:22 AM. Reason: typo
    www.teampclab.pl
    MOA 2009 Poland #2, AMD Black Ops 2010, MOA 2011 Poland #1, MOA 2011 EMEA #12

Test bench: empty

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I thought they used pyrolytic graphite, CNTs in a consumer product today?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    we've been through this. It's not carban nanotubes. Is graphite. And they're made in way so they're inline and able to transfer heat energy (due to the structure of graphite, it can only conduct well in one direction. Up and down in this case. Though obviously it will be going up. I'm talking such rubbish.

Xtreme Member
    i'm more interested in the phase unit :P

Xtreme Member
    we've been through this. It's not carban nanotubes. Is graphite. And they're made in way so they're inline and able to transfer heat energy (due to the structure of graphite, it can only conduct well in one direction. Up and down in this case. Though obviously it will be going up. I'm talking such rubbish.
    They specifically say carbon nanotubes and graphene. What you are referring to is a different product.
    Q6600 @ 3.4GHz - 1.4v, 4GB PC26400, Asus P5B-Deluxe WIFI, BFG 8800GTX OC2, (4x)Seagate 15k.5 SAS RAID0 on Adaptec 4805 w/128MB cache, approx 1.3TB SATA300, Gateway 24" LCD.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ohh.... nice unit

Xtreme Cruncher
    Its not Carbon Nanotubes, They cost over $500 per GRAM
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Muslim Overclocker
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Lead Head View Post
    Its not Carbon Nanotubes, They cost over $500 per GRAM
    Oh you are a supplier now?

There are different grades of nanotubes, different levels, and different diameters. You cannot say that nanotubes are $500/gram. Thats like me saying its $50 for a foot of copper. Well one foot of copper could very well be a wire 5 cm in diameter, and it maybe mixed with tin or nickel. It could also be 1 mm thick.

Your attempt to simplifiy the matter .. don't do it.

My watercooling experience

Water
    Scythe Gentle Typhoons 120mm 1850RPM
    Thermochill PA120.3 Radiator
    Enzotech Sapphire Rev.A CPU Block
    Laing DDC 3.2
    XSPC Dual Pump Reservoir
    Primochill Pro LRT Red 1/2"
    Bitspower fittings + water temp sensor

Rig
    E8400 | 4GB HyperX PC8500 | Corsair HX620W | ATI HD4870 512MB

I see what I see, and you see what you see. I can't make you see what I see, but I can tell you what I see is not what you see. Truth is, we see what we want to see, and what we want to see is what those around us see. And what we don't see is... well, conspiracies.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmad View Post
    Oh you are a supplier now?

There are different grades of nanotubes, different levels, and different diameters. You cannot say that nanotubes are $500/gram. Thats like me saying its $50 for a foot of copper. Well one foot of copper could very well be a wire 5 cm in diameter, and it maybe mixed with tin or nickel. It could also be 1 mm thick.

Your attempt to simplifiy the matter .. don't do it.
    The was one of the cheapest I found. If you can find a place that sells nanotubes for $1/Gram, at which point it would be actually feasible to buy one of the sinks
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Xtreme 3D Mark Team Staff
    companies spend millions to do R&D on products before ever selling a single product.
    even if the thing was 500 a gram... dont you think OCZ could do it if they wanted to??

they arent some little corner shop in oregon.

plus, do you honestly think the entire industry would "think its the next thing to replace copper" for cooling... if it really was that expensive?
    at some point they must expect it to become cheap... affordable... and easy to mass produce, if the industry is saying its the next big thing.

"The command and conquer model," said the EA CEO, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

Xtreme Enthusiast
    My Home made carbon nano tubes cost 1$ a gram.

Anyhow, OCZ forum members pretty much told us it was not carbon nanotubes. Was a big topic on this before.

Nursing Student -or- Beta Testing Escape From Tarkov
    Where's one of the OCZ reps to shed some light on this topic? HUH? HUH?!

SSD faster than your HDD
    Not sure where Carbon Nanotubes came from.....I will have to hit Michael up to see if something has changed, but it was Directional Graphite last time I knew which may be similar or the same as Carbon Nanotubes, none of that is my specialty

Quote Originally Posted by EternityZX9 View Post
    Where's one of the OCZ reps to shed some light on this topic? HUH? HUH?!
    How many times do we have to shed light on it? Every time we shed light on it, its just denounced as frivolous and impossible by the masses here. I am sure I will get plenty of feedback for this post

The best solution to all this, is wait until you get some numbers...then you can actually make an informed decision about performance, regardless if its made from bubble gum or our new Moon Rock Alloy.

Thank you
    Last edited by RyderOCZ; 06-14-2007 at 04:34 AM.

Nursing Student -or- Beta Testing Escape From Tarkov
    Quote Originally Posted by RyderOCZ View Post
    How quickly we forget where the info is

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...4&postcount=86

Not sure where Carbon Nanotubes came from.....I will have to hit Michael up to see if something has changed, but it was Directional Graphite last time I knew which may be similar or the same as Carbon Nanotubes, none of that is my specialty
    Wow, are you like a genie?

*rubs lamp*

Anyways - is there a possibility we could see this out by the end of this year? Can you tell me that much Ryder? Please....with sugar on top!

Xtreme Member

How many times do we have to shed light on it? Every time we shed light on it, its just denounced as frivolous and impossible by the masses here. I am sure I will get plenty of feedback for this post

The best solution to all this, is wait until you get some numbers...then you can actually make an informed decision about performance, regardless if its made from bubble gum or our new Moon Rock Alloy.

Thank you
    When are the bubble gum coolers coming out? those sound like they'd be dirt cheap . Is it enviroment friendly too? I know r600 power consumption activists will love to hear its been made from recyled bubble gum.

Also the moon rock cooler sounds intreging, is it pricey though? Like starting at $1,000,000 a cooler?

System
    Intel C2D Q6600 @ 3.78Ghz 1.536V (1.55V bios)
    TC PA 120.3 , D-TEK Fusion, MCP655, Micro Res, 6 Yate Fans
    Mushkin HP2-6400 2X2GB @ 100Mhz 5-4-4-12
    Asus Maximus Formula 420x9
    4 Samsung Spinpoint 250GB SATA II in raid 0
    Crossfire HD 2900XT 512MB 900/900 1.25V
    Pioneer DVD-RW
    830 Mobo Tray, Wating on MM Duality
    PC Power and Cooling 750W , mobo/cpu/gpus/cdrom , Powmax 380W , hd, fans, pump
    Acer AL2616W 19200x1200 100Hz (75hz native)

Egyptian OverClocker
    Quote Originally Posted by gdogg View Post
    When are the bubble gum coolers coming out? those sound like they'd be dirt cheap . Is it enviroment friendly too? I know r600 power consumption activists will love to hear its been made from recyled bubble gum.

Also the moon rock cooler sounds intreging, is it pricey though? Like starting at $1,000,000 a cooler?

why can't i find this --^ reply funny at all ??

Soon to be :
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe, Intel SB i7-2600k, G.Skill Rj-X F3-12800CL6D-4GBXH, MSI HD6950 2GB, Corsair 750AX, Intel 80GB G2 SSD, DELL U2410

Used to be: SaFrOuT

Xtreme Cruncher
    just opened that link and scrolled further down the page to see...

By UppityMatt on 6/9/2007 5:04:27 AM , Rating: 4
    Whats the point? If your spending $300 on a Cooler to overclock... Just use that 300 to buy a faster processor model. I learned this the hard way by investing a little over 250 on a water cooling system by thermaltake. The gains i made from the water were not as substantial as just upgrading to a higher end processor. And then the pump went out and long story short i spent a hell of alot more. Its going to take quite a few reuses on your system to pay out.

My Free-DC Stats
    You use IRC and Crunch in Xs WCG team? Join #xs.wcg @ Quakenet

V3 Xeons coming soon!

Thank you
    OHHH, Now I'm going to go start a thread and spread rumors on the
    "NEW,IMPROVED, 7000w capable Moon Rock Alloy OCZ heatsink"..
    and watch your PM box go nuts!
    Seriously, if these things can handle even 200 watts and we can get a mount for a 771 they are just what the Dr. ordered for the clovers.
    Can I send a check and pre pay for 2?
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Muslim Overclocker

Thank you
    I always thought it was some form of graphite as well.

My watercooling experience

Water
    Scythe Gentle Typhoons 120mm 1850RPM
    Thermochill PA120.3 Radiator
    Enzotech Sapphire Rev.A CPU Block
    Laing DDC 3.2
    XSPC Dual Pump Reservoir
    Primochill Pro LRT Red 1/2"
    Bitspower fittings + water temp sensor

Rig
    E8400 | 4GB HyperX PC8500 | Corsair HX620W | ATI HD4870 512MB

I see what I see, and you see what you see. I can't make you see what I see, but I can tell you what I see is not what you see. Truth is, we see what we want to see, and what we want to see is what those around us see. And what we don't see is... well, conspiracies.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Graphite is totally different from nanotubes...nanotubes are incredibly expensive to make, go read up if you don't think so. No one could afford a carbon nanotube cooler (well without like totally killing your bank account...)
    Last edited by serialk11r; 06-09-2007 at 02:47 PM.
    Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - Core i5 2410m, 4gb
    waiting on 28nm video cards...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast