Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why still no separate thread for ASUS ROG RAMPAGE IV BLACK EDITION ?

Xtreme Addict

Why still no separate thread for ASUS ROG RAMPAGE IV BLACK EDITION ?

I think this amazing board worth a new thread

Thank you
    Gaming rig;
    ASUS RAMPAGE IV BLACK EDITION
    I7-4390K
    G.SKILL Trident X 16GB 2400
    Intel 530 240GB
    2x Asus GTX780
    Corsair AX1200
    HP ZR30w 30
    Win 8.1 pro
    Sound rig;
    Auzen X-Fi H.T. HD --> Yulong D100 MKII --> D-7100

XIP
    Last edited by Dumo; 12-05-2013 at 05:08 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Yeah I had a good read of those when I was waiting for my board. I still continue to check back and read any updates whilst I'm still playing around in the bios.

If you want there to be a thread.... you just start one
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    4930k @4.875
    G.Skill Trident X 2666 Cl10
    Gtx 780 SC
    1600w Lepa Gold
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

XIP
    Quote Originally Posted by MaddMuppet View Post
    Yeah I had a good read of those when I was waiting for my board. I still continue to check back and read any updates whilst I'm still playing around in the bios.
    Good info for oc panel functions http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...=1#post5218216

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumo View Post
    Excellent, thanks mate.

Xtreme Addict
    Great info. guys thank you
    Gaming rig;
    I7-4390K
    Intel 530 240GB
    2x Asus GTX780
    Corsair AX1200
    HP ZR30w 30
    Win 8.1 pro
    Sound rig;

Xtreme Addict
    Well I finally got mine ordered, along with a 2nd red 2tb drive for a new raid array.

My specs will look something like:
    4930k [3326B667]
    gskill 2400 c9 16gb quad, ser# x2500
    2x 2tb wd reds in raid 0
    antec hcp 850 plat psu
    2x 680l's in sli, hard modded into a k2 (a k2 is 2x 680's, no bios yet, just the hard id's)
    And that's pretty much it plus or minus some stuff in my sig currently like my bdr burner, and single 60gb ssd, kraken x60 (for the time being, I've got other things to buy other then waste money right now on water cooling stuff, that comes later ).

I do have a block for one of my gpu's, but I need a 2nd, and a rad and a pump.
    I'm planning on getting one of those 9x120mm rads or something like that, I could just run it outside or under the house and get some nice temps.

The only thing that really concerns me right now is the drive that's comming lol.
    And the board of course.
    Never tested the mem either, I should of..., I probably will, but then again I can use the 2x4gig bfr's to get windows on it or something.
    One thing I've never done is install one of these pga cpu's..., I'll have to be careful .
    I wonder where my tim is :\, somewhere in my closet I think lol ^^ :\ (I forgot that I lost track of that...).

Xtreme Addict
    I ordered my system from newegg, and i received it before one week.
    I put all parts together and push the start bottom, and it works fine.
    till now everything run @ stock speed.
    I hope next week i can spare time to play with the bios, after finishing re-furniture my house
    Gaming rig;
    I7-4390K
    Intel 530 240GB
    2x Asus GTX780
    Corsair AX1200
    HP ZR30w 30
    Win 8.1 pro
    Sound rig;

Xtreme Member
    Just got my system together last night and finished leak testing. So far so good.

Is 1.25v VCCSA high for 24x7 use or conservative?
    [Intel core i7 4820K..........Asus Rampage IV Black Edition] LAN Parties attended:
    [512GB Samsung 840 PRO 512GB......2xWD Black 7200 2TB RAID0] FITES [fites.net] 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007
    [32GB G.Skill DDR3 2400 4x8GB....2xEVGA GTX780ti Classified] L'Pane NorEaster [lpane.net] 2010, 2009, 2008
    [Corsair 900D.......Primochill CTR 250......Corsair AX1200i] Quakecon [quakecon.org] 2010, 2009
    [MCP35x2.........Swiftech Apogee HD......Swiftech MCR420-XP] PAX East [east.paxsite.com] 2012

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZX2Slow View Post
    Just got my system together last night and finished leak testing. So far so good.

Is 1.25v VCCSA high for 24x7 use or conservative?

That's high alright for 24/7. But if you are using 32gb of 2400mhz ram, you will probably need that sort of voltage. You may want to lower it to around 2000mhz for 24/7 and run it at 2400 just for benching. Chances are you will need quite a bit lower volts and won't be able to tell the difference in speed.
    Last edited by MaddMuppet; 12-07-2013 at 08:01 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Hey you guys um.., does anyone know if the board comes with some generic thermal gel?
    I just looked throughout my entire closet and only found a shack rookie card and a micky mantle(both not worth squat btw), but not my freaking pk5 tim...
    I got some old stuff, but its all inbetween 5 - 10 years of age.
    I think I know what happened, I think I let someone borrow it and I forgot about it.
    (I'm gonna call the dude but were not on good terms lol...)
    This really bums me out but whatever you know.

Just wondering if the board came with some generic stuff to use, I cant get new stuff until maybe jan or sometime after taxes in feb :\.

Xtreme Member
    I did'nt see any TIM in the box, was in the same boat and grabbed some 1-2 year old AS5 to use before I switched over to Indigo Xtreme.
    [Intel core i7 4820K..........Asus Rampage IV Black Edition] LAN Parties attended:
    [512GB Samsung 840 PRO 512GB......2xWD Black 7200 2TB RAID0] FITES [fites.net] 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007
    [32GB G.Skill DDR3 2400 4x8GB....2xEVGA GTX780ti Classified] L'Pane NorEaster [lpane.net] 2010, 2009, 2008
    [Corsair 900D.......Primochill CTR 250......Corsair AX1200i] Quakecon [quakecon.org] 2010, 2009
    [MCP35x2.........Swiftech Apogee HD......Swiftech MCR420-XP] PAX East [east.paxsite.com] 2012

Xtreme Addict
    Yeah I just got my board about 15 mins ago, I gotta say that was early lol, I don't normally get any sort of mail before noon at least, I got this at 10:30am...

No tim though, darn it lol.
    Ohwell.

Speaking of as5, lmao, I got some as2 ^^ lol...
    I don't think I use it though, I've gonna try to squeeze some as ceramic out what's left of that one.
    I could use this thermal take stuff but I don't actually trust it so much.
    In a few hours I'll call my cousin up to see if he has my pk-5, I'm 99% sure I left it over there and forget about it, he needed it for a laptop or something.

But anyways I had just gotten done verifying my 2nd 2tb drive.
    I'm so happy it turned out good, maybe I got lucky, 2 good wd reds in a row , I did buy the retail box for both though.

Anyways I'm gonna take a break for a moment, then start tearing this rig down and putting the new one up .
    Board seems kinda hefty btw , I'm cool with that .

Xtreme Member
    Took me three weeks to build mine (But I am OCD about my systems), good luck.

There's almost too many options available. My last OC work was on a 920 on a R2E X58 board and I am completely overwhelmed by the options available.

Xtreme Addict
    Well I got mine built, just put in 4 gigs of bfr I know is ok for the time being.
    Only major probs I had was with the intel raid, There seems to be no way of installing the raid driver after installing windows (even tried using the asmedia controllers instead to get windows to boot but nope).
    Kept bsod'ing.
    So I re-installed a 2nd time this time I had the raid driver on a usb stick, all went well.

The cpu installing thing was scary to me, noob here when it comes to intels.
    All went ok though.
    I gotta stress test my setup real quick to see if it's ok, and then install my newer set of ram .

Boot times are just fine btw.
    Nice and quick, didn't have to change a thing in the bios to get it that way either oddly enough so I don't know why others have slow boots.
    My board came with bios ver 208, or 1208, it says 1208 anyways (same as 208 I don't know)...
    I thought that was weird, to have a pre-retail bios on a retail board lol.
    I don't know I'll figure that out later .

Oh and the efi booting stuff, that was annoying me so I put everything on legacy, it kept complaining about changes otherwise.
    Last edited by NEOAethyr; 12-12-2013 at 01:15 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Double post, sorry.

I'm having some troubles guys.
    Here's the deal, fresh install of nvidia display driver, run the mafia 2 bench the 1st time, 100fps.
    Run the bench again, even without quitting the game, under 20fps...
    Set physx to run on the cpu instead of the gpu, just over 20fps but lots of stuttering.

I'm using a single gpu at the moment.
    I never had this prob on my amd, but then again my fps was only around 30-40fps then.
    Noticed some lag in farcry3 as well but otherwise the performance is alright in that game.

I'm stuck using the nvidia driver ver 319.92, I can't run newer ver's, I think I need a vga bios update for them (it talks about that in the readme), the driver can't run above 60hz.
    The 319 driver has no issues running up to at least 144hz.
    Just saying, that's why I can't update my driver right now lol.
    My 680l I don't think has a prob like that though, just my modded one.

But anyways the performance is the real issue.
    This frame rate on mafia 2 is abnormal, very slow.

Ram is at 2400mhz, 9-11-10 cmd1.

Also one more thing, what are you guys using to test your ram?
    I tried s&m but it gets a thread error after the 1st mem test (it apparently has issues with intel rigs, can't free it's own mem sorta thing).
    I update to the latest y-cruncher and intel burn test.
    The alpha ver, y-cruncher v0.6.2.9316 Alpha, crashes on startup.
    The latest, y-cruncher v0.5.5.9180 (fix 2), runs fine.

I'm thinking of switching back to win 7 x86, running x64 at the moment.
    I only needed x64 to run bf4 and cod:ghosts, and ghost doesn't even run so... (it's a software issue or something, did this on my amd).

Edit:
    Oh and the audio, definitely and improvement over my last board.
    It's not perfect (not hard to get it to distort), but it's not bad.

Update:
    I didn't wanna tripple post .

9-11-10 cmd1 wasn't y cruncher stable, failed in around 40m mins.
    I'm trying again now though, I did get it over 1hr stable at 9-11-11 cmd1.

I figured out the lag prob, read on...

Ok a min ago I decided that my stock clocks seemed ok and I wanted a bit more from my mem, for the time being, I gotta get a stock stable setting so I can move my data to my new array, I've got 2 tb's of data to move.

So I set the 9-11-10 timing, set the ram pwm to 500khz, and the phase control on extreme (that should enable all the pwm phases for the mem).
    I don't wanna fool with vcca or anythign right now really...

Anyways so I checked out mafia 2's benchmark again, hmm high fps, even after entering the building part in the bench.
    Tried a 2nd time, hmm even more fps lol.
    Then I loaded up my driver profile for my tweaks and it only lost a frame or 2 per sec, all good.
    It's running without lag!

Just before that I had finally sat down and redid the power management in windows, I did everything except for the core parking thing, I don't remember what I have to set to disable so for now i ignored those settings.

So anyways after the bench I'm thinking about how I fixed it, what I'm gonna tell you guys.
    All the above stuff pretty much, plus one more thing, this is the thing I actually think that fixed it.

Before that reboot I played with the realtek control panel thing.
    I since del'ed it out of my registry from auto starting.
    So I wanted to take a good look at it while listening to music, the darned thing is useless, figures.
    Odd thing was my mouse was lagging all to heck with it.
    It was skipping frames..., that's messed up.
    And I'm pretty sure that's what was causing my fps to go from 60-100 fps down to under 20 fps in mafia 2.

You'll find it under hklm run, or hkcu run keys in the registry.
    The program's name is RtkNGUI64.exe, I think it has -s on the end of it in the cmd.
    I recommend del'ing it out of your registry ^^.
    I think it's pretty darned important that you do that.
    Otherwise you'll get like 1/3rd of the fps on some things that you would normally get.

Oh and one more thing, I said I could run the latest stable ver of y cruncher, I was wrong, that crashes right after starting a test.
    I'm using a very old ver of it and that runs fine, y-cruncher v0.5.4 Build 9148 (fix 1).
    Last edited by NEOAethyr; 12-12-2013 at 06:48 PM.

Xtreme Member
    That's interesting if the on-board audio software is causing your issues. I run an Asus Xonar STX myself, haven't tried the on-board. It is supposed to be a step up over normal motherboard audio.

Xtreme Addict
    This board is great to OC, i set the multiplier to 46 and bus speed to 100, and go, then i raise the bus speed to 140 and multiplier to 33 and boot all the way

I can also raise the bus speed to 160 and 180, but need more Vcore, so i just keep it @140 and its enough for 24/7.
    Gaming rig;
    I7-4390K
    Intel 530 240GB
    2x Asus GTX780
    Corsair AX1200
    HP ZR30w 30
    Win 8.1 pro
    Sound rig;

Xtreme Member
    Very nice Vcore for 4.6. How stable is that.

Xtreme Addict
    Its rock solid stable while gaming, Heaven Benchmark 4.0 and 3DMark benchmarks.
    I set the vcore in the bios exactly 1.2v but in window show 1.216.
    Gaming rig;
    I7-4390K
    Intel 530 240GB
    2x Asus GTX780
    Corsair AX1200
    HP ZR30w 30
    Win 8.1 pro
    Sound rig;

Xtreme Addict
    Here's what I got done, I could test a few more games, I already played a round of batman, and farcry 3 while it was doing this run of y cruncher (remember I'm using an old ver...).

I spoke too soon on that realtek control panel thing, I also have probs with the microsoft on screen keyboard, %windir%\system32\osk.exe.
    Can you guys check with that program?, it comes with windows, it's very easy to see my mouse stutter with it in view.
    Also happens with mpc-be's thumbnail preview thingy on the time scroll bar in video's.
    I think it could be a secondary timing issue or something.
    Something must be really freaking slow, I just don't know what it is yet.

Oh and vcore is set to offset -0.005v (I just did this last night before I ran y cruncher, I didn't wanna be over volting just for stock speeds).

Bios wise, cpu-z says I'm on 0403 bios, and it's wrong (weird...).
    Making bios profiles, you can't use -'s or spaces in the profile name, it just clears the whole name.
    I used an underscore thingy _.

I also don't any of those memory overclock profiles, I just have the generic ones, like air cooler or water cooler, etc.

Oh lol, man I keep editing this post lol.
    Anyways you know what's really cool?
    When I was running yc above, last night I ran pcsx2, I was getting the same fps as my amd, but while loading it up with yc at the same time.
    That's pretty impressive.
    I think this rig is literally twice as fast.
    At the time I forgot to switch to the ssse3 plugin too .

One more thing, darn it I forgot, I wanna say it now.
    Batman had alot of hitches or whatever, Long hd loads that would halt gameplay.
    I know I'm not loading the game from an array right now but that shouldn't be doing that.
    Last edited by NEOAethyr; 12-13-2013 at 10:06 AM.

Xtreme Addict

4.2ghz @ -0.005v is:
    1hr batman stable
    1hr farcry 3 stable
    pcsx2 stable
    9hrs yc stable

So far so good.
    Needs a bit more testing though.
    All my lag/stutter probs are gone after overclocking the cpu .

I found the memory profiles, they don't do me any good though, I can't figure out how to use the cpu straps.
    I keep trying and it won't boot.
    But then again, I can just change voltages and it won't boot, I don't even know what it was, I didn't mess with llc at all at the time.

Anyways I know a set of mem timings that don't do anything in the bios.
    I gotta look at the bios pics in my phone for a sec...
    Dram rtl (chc d1 r0), chc d1 r1...
    Also effects cha and chb and chd...
    You set the value, restart, go into the bios and nothing changes.

Clock gen filter is missing, not sure if it's supposed to be there or not.
    tRC mem timing is missing, that seems odd...

What is tREFI, the "I" being being something I never heard of before.
    I mean if it's tREF, higher the better, but if it's something else then I no clue if higher or lower is faster...

The boot logo doesn't save into the bios profiles...
    Opt fans set to 100% duty cycle on a cmos clear as screwed over my 2x 140mm fans on my rad, I gotta replaced them now.
    Sure, it's great the board has more amps, but to run the fans full throttle like that, I know lawn mowers that are quiter lol.
    Oui that sucks, They stopped knocking though for now, that was kinda crappy to find out after quitting y cruncher.

Before I even mess with the bios again, I'm gonna try modding the defaults, because that gets on my nerves.
    It's just way to loud.
    Cpu fan at 100% is fine, but opt fans nah...

I can't get the mem to clock higher then 2400, I think I need to figure out the strap thing.

I'm pretty happy though, even though the bios is definitely buggy.
    But this setup is literally 2-3 times faster, and that 3x is no overstatement, it actually is at times 3 times faster then my amd ever was.
    Another thing that strikes me is how fast it is on mafia 2's benchmark, I clocked my amd all the way up and it never made much of a difference (hence why I bought a 2nd vga card just incase...).
    But yet this rig alone, bam, way faster...

But anyways I don't like being the only posting here lol, so peeps please post .

I could really use some help getting these straps working too, I can't even get the simple 125mhz strap working.
    I tried and tried, downclocked my mem and cpu just to try to get it to post and it was a nogo.
    Mem profiles don't even set up the speed they say they are, they just seem to change some mem timings and that's it, so those don't help :\.

Another odd thing, either cpu llc is set to ultra high by default, or it doesn't work.
    I left it on auto for now.
    Last edited by NEOAethyr; 12-14-2013 at 07:53 AM.

Xtreme Member
    I just set the X.M.P profile for my G.Skill 32GB (4x8GB) DDR2400c10 set and it just worked, no hassle, no fine tuning. Nice IMC on these, still think the 1.25 VCCSA is a tad high for 24x7 but really found no resource to confirm this.

I have been a little intimidated by the amount of options available on this board so I haven't overclocked anything yet. I just got things working and will install my Indgo Xtreme TIM before I start cranking up the clocks. Temps are good using some prehistoric AS5 that I had laying about.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by koc View Post
    Its rock solid stable while gaming, Heaven Benchmark 4.0 and 3DMark benchmarks.
    I set the vcore in the bios exactly 1.2v but in window show 1.216.
    Well, you have a nice CPU there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast