Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A pop followed by hissing sounds on mach 1:(

Xtreme Member

A pop followed by hissing sounds on mach 1:(

Ok, I just got my new mobo and finished getting everything hooked up and installed. The mach took a little longer to cool down then normal, but it had not been started in two weeks. After running for about five minutes there was a pop, not to loud and not the normal oil sound, followed by a hissing. The temps jumped quickly and I shut off the computer. I removed the head and restarted the mach, a little more hissing and the temps started to rise. I shut down the unit and the wounded mach is just sitting there.

So, what do I do from here? I compressor got really hot, do you think it is ok? I think the hole is in the line that goes to the head (heat exchanger line?). What gas should I use, as I'm sure that there is not more. I have lots of r502. Any others I might what to use? Thanks for the help.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I think you have a leak. Fix it or send to someone to do that.
    Q9550 EO @ 4.1
    Asus P5Q Deluxe
    4 Gb DDR2 Gskill
    2xVelociraptors 300 gb Raid 0
    Sapphire Vapor 4870 1Gb
    PCP&C 750w silencer psu

Xtreme Mentor
    As marvin has said it is fataly wounded and topping up will not help it. It must be checked out, repaired, leak tested then recharged.

Do not attempt to run it any more as this will make the damage worse.
    Bring back natural selection! No more warning lables!

The one and Only MG Pony

As it is, the oil will need to be changed, the leak fixed, and the filter replaced. Good luck with it though!
    Processor - Xeon E3110, 4.2ghz
    Motherboard - Abit IP35-E
    Cooling - Custom Propane Direct Die System
    Ram - 4 Gig g.Skill
    Video Card - eVGA 8800GT 512MB, 740/1860/1100
    Power Supply - Sparkle/Fortron 550 Watt
    Sound Card - SB Audigy 4 Pro
    Audio - Sennheiser HD-580 / PIMETA Amp
    Hard Drives - 160gb WD 7200rpm
    Heatware

Xtreme Mentor
    Well if it is mineral he can get away with out replacing it, just a warming and good vac will do, I find, synthetic it must be replaced as with the F/D.
    Bring back natural selection! No more warning lables!

The one and Only MG Pony

Xtreme Member
    that doesnt sound good find someone that will repair it hopefully

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalamay View Post
    Ok, I just got my new mobo and finished getting everything hooked up and installed. The mach took a little longer to cool down then normal, but it had not been started in two weeks. After running for about five minutes there was a pop, not to loud and not the normal oil sound, followed by a hissing. The temps jumped quickly and I shut off the computer. I removed the head and restarted the mach, a little more hissing and the temps started to rise. I shut down the unit and the wounded mach is just sitting there.

So, what do I do from here? I compressor got really hot, do you think it is ok? I think the hole is in the line that goes to the head (heat exchanger line?). What gas should I use, as I'm sure that there is not more. I have lots of r502. Any others I might what to use? Thanks for the help.
    first find and confirm the leak there should be a oil stain @ leak you can hear, chances are thats what happened,

if it has a capacitor I heard them pop, and the wire sizzle from a electrical short or the liquid inside a shorted "wet" run capacitor and the that also would cause a motor to over heat .The compressor would not start and run at normal rpm .

It's probably a leak but just wanted to mention there are other explanations for a "pop & sizzle"

Don't run unit until cause is found and repaired
    The Laws of Thermodynamics say:

Zeroth Law: "You must play the game."
    First Law: "You can't win."
    Second Law: "You can't break even."
    Third Law: "You can't quit the game."

Do you wanna Play Thermodynamics ???????? I forgot "you must"

-100c Club Member
    Original prometeias mach1 bring r134a with POE oil, so you cant put r502 in it.

The trouble of swapping the oil to something compatible with r502 would not be worth.

Have some1 that is used to service cpu cooling phase change units to repair the related leak and have him recharge the unit to your desired capacity (watts) with any of these gases 404/r507/r402a.

Migth want to consider upgrading your Mach1 (if it still in original condition) to a new evap head, suction, insulation, etc.

Xtreme Member
    How do I change the oil? Is there a way to charge without a load tester?
    I've thought about upgrading the evap. head and suction line, but it did fine on my opty 170. Plus, I wouldn't know who's to use and how much of a gain I would get. I just want to get it running. I'm going to put a desuperheater on it and patch my leak.

I am Xtreme
    you can't patch your leak until you remove all the refrigerant,heating refrigerants is extremely toxic and if flammable can be very dangerious also.

you need the correct equiptment,and knowdledge to do the work safely. Tools are not cheap.

OCTeamDenmark Founder Nosfer@tu's Avatar
    Get it fixed and sell.

Sell it to phase builder and buy somthingdecent

RUMMC does some REAL MAGIC with small conpressors
    Former owner of OCTeamDenmark.com
    MSI MOTHERBOARD!!!!!!

Linkedin

Xtreme Member
    My Uncle is doing the work..aka the pro, but he works on big units. I just want to get this one running. Is there a way to set the unit without a load tester or where I can get one? Thanks for all the help!

Xtreme Addict
    Is there a way to set the unit without a load tester or where I can get one? Thanks for all the help!
    Use your computer as the perfect load tester.

Xtreme Member
    I supose I could do that, but shouldn't I put some in frist? So, just turn on the computer and start filling until the temps drop and stablize? I think I might use the x2 3800 if I do it this way, I like my opty to much. Thanks again.

Xtreme Guru

Try using the soap test to isolate the leak. The hissing and rising temps makes it very likely that it's a leak, so where ever the gas is leaking you'll see a bunch of bubbles, so then you'll know exactly which pipe/portion needs to either be replaced or repaired. Then you could either recharge, or probably the smart thing to do would be since it already has impurities by then in it, run the system and see if the leak still shows up. If not, then use a vacuum pump to purge the system (or another compressor with a schrader valve works) and then recharge. If it still leaks, then isolate the other leaks/repair again and keep trying until it works

Hope this helps
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

I am Xtreme
    If it's a factory unit it should have a tag with the amount(weight) & gas of factory charge, I not sure they do that in phase, but seems unlikely they would be allowed in the USA without the tag. if your using the same gas,you can simply weigh in the correct charge.

-100C Club Member
    if you look for an oil leak, that will be where it is, should be easy to find.
    Its more than likely near the brazed joints between the copper and stainless steel suction line, the steel cracks.

Xtreme Member
    Well, I got all the insulation off and I could not see any oil spots.

AliG - Can I run the unit without gas? I think all the gas is gone and the last time it started the temps climbed real fast and the compressor got really
    hot. I don't think I can find the leak that way.

wdrzal - Thank you. I don't remember seeing anything on the tag, but I'll check it again.

Anyone else know what the factory settings are?

kayl - Thanks, I'll check those spots again and more carefully.

Thank you all for your help, let me know if you think of anything esle.

OCTeamDenmark Founder Nosfer@tu's Avatar
    If you cant find the tag I belive ALOT of users here on XS knows how much it needs
    Former owner of OCTeamDenmark.com
    MSI MOTHERBOARD!!!!!!

Linkedin

Xtreme Member
    I guess we will see Nosfer@tu, but you should be correct, someone will know.

Xtreme Member
    Where is a good place to buy replacement parts? Thanks

Xtreme Addict
    I supose I could do that, but shouldn't I put some in frist? So, just turn on the computer and start filling until the temps drop and stablize? I think I might use the x2 3800 if I do it this way, I like my opty to much. Thanks again.
    Man, you have make a basic static charge before firing up for the first time, it will give you enough capacity to not freeze your computer on start.
    Anyway, processors has heat protection since the first athlon... so it is not that easy to burn your outdated, slow and cheap pos opty...
    (joke, I have a venice 3200 )

Xtreme Member
    I know she old and out dated, but she runs strong and does what I need. How much should I start with? So, what you are saying is that I fill it full and then reduce untill it starts? Or just put enough to get it started and then add or subtract from there? Thanks Ssilencer.

Xtreme Member
    Ok, i finely got it all back together. How much gas and at what pressure should I set it at? Does anyone know what it was from the factory? Thank you.

-150c Club Member
    You have to charge to a load not to a pressure.

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast