Thread: Dual booting XP + Vista?

Xtreme Cruncher

Dual booting XP + Vista?

I've seen some horror stories on how Vista manages to take over the boot manager and lock you out from using XP if you try to dual boot them. Couple of question.

First: Does this problem arise just when booting both OS's from one drive, or does it also happen when you boot from separate drives?

Second: Would it be practical/manageable to dual boot XP/Vista? XP would be my main OS for everything, and DX9 gaming, and Vista would be strictly for DX10 gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by amscott
    my freind is a proud owneer of an xbox 360. from wat he has told me, microsoft has secret built in devices that only are in the xbox and cannot be recreated. for instance he told me taht there is this little divise that is in the xbox 360 taht u cannot take out which if u play online and microsoft catches you hacking with this special chip thing that changes somthing in the games, microsoft will basicly sent a EMP pulse to your game system and fry it. :O because of these little part in the system, it is very difficult if not impossoble to modify the xbox with other parts because of the compatibility of the processor and (dashboard).

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I have dual boot in separate drive: RaptorX 150 for XP and Raptor 74 for Vista, there will be an option during boot up so you can choose which OS you want to load, also you can choose which OS is primary OS to load by going to Start Up and Recovery and select Default OS you want to load

Xtreme Cruncher
    I know that. But I've heard of people saying Vista disables the boot manager . I've dual booted XP + Linux before, so I know what I'm doing. I just want to know if Vista tries to find yet another way to $#*& you over.
    Quote Originally Posted by amscott
    my freind is a proud owneer of an xbox 360. from wat he has told me, microsoft has secret built in devices that only are in the xbox and cannot be recreated. for instance he told me taht there is this little divise that is in the xbox 360 taht u cannot take out which if u play online and microsoft catches you hacking with this special chip thing that changes somthing in the games, microsoft will basicly sent a EMP pulse to your game system and fry it. :O because of these little part in the system, it is very difficult if not impossoble to modify the xbox with other parts because of the compatibility of the processor and (dashboard).

Boot manager? I just enter bios and switch hard drive boot priority. Is there an easier way?
    Quote Originally Posted by chuchnit View Post
    Why do you always have to bring two sockets into everything?
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Because a one socket system is only 1/2 a system..
    You got two balls don't you?
    I rest my case!

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Xtreme Member
    I have been dual booting XP/Vista since the early beta stages of Vista and have had absolutely no problems with the Vista boot manager. To make everything easier, it's always adviced to install the older OS first (XP) and then Vista.
    You can install XP and Vista on the same hard drive or different hard drives, provided each OS has its own exclusive partition.
    From what I have seen, these horror stories are probably from those users who have tried installing XP after installing Vista or they don't have the slightest clue on what the hell they are doing!!!
    BREAKING NEWS For Friday 26th June 2009: Casper the friendly ghost was molested in the early hours of this morning!

Aussie God
    Hmm, why dualboot??

I use virtual PC for XP inside Vista, much easier IMO.
    Competition ranking;
    2005; Netbyte, Karise/Denmark #1 @ PiFast
    2008; AOCM II, Minfeld/Germany #2 @ 01SE/AM3/8M (w. Oliver)
    2009; AMD-OC, Viborg/Denmark #2 @ max freq Gigabyte TweaKING, Paris/France #4 @ 32M/01SE (w. Vanovich)
    2010: Gigabyte P55, Hamburg/Germany #6 @ wprime 1024/SPI 1M (w. THC) AOCM III, Minfeld/Germany #6 @ 01SE/AM3/1M/8M (w. NeoForce)

Spectating;
    2010; GOOC 2010 Many thanks to Gigabyte!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by M.Beier View Post
    Hmm, why dualboot??

I use virtual PC for XP inside Vista, much easier IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaze06 View Post
    Second: Would it be practical/manageable to dual boot XP/Vista? XP would be my main OS for everything, and DX9 gaming, and Vista would be strictly for DX10 gaming.
    That's why

No virtualization software offers DirectX yet...VMWare is working on it (DX8 in VMWare Fusion beta) and Parallels is supposed to have it in v3 (not released yet and it's OS X only). Even then, he'd probably be running Vista virtualized since XP would be his main OS.

As far as dual booting, I found this via a quick google: http://www.windowstalk.org/dual_boot_part2.htm
    3800 X2 @ 2.7GHz
    DFI nf4 SLI-D
    2x1gb GSkill ZX
    TT Sonic Tower
    Visiontek 4850
    X-Fi XtremeMusic
    Corsair 750TX

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm dual booting XP and Vista...Pro and Ultimate...on the same hard drive. Have absolutely no problems at all. When booting, it asks which you want to load.....Vista or the older OS.....and after you pick one (and if you don't choose, it defaults to Vista), whichever you chose boots no problem.

Papa: Q6600 @ 3.6GHz @ 1.34V, Asus Maximus Formula, 4 x 2GB Mushkin Redline DDR2-1000, Asus HD4870, Antec Sig. 850, Lian-Li/RF case....WC'd via D-Tek FuZion w/quad nozzle, EK S-Max on NB, Laing DDC2 w/XSPC top, 2 x Feser 240's & one TC 120.1 rads.

Momma: Xeon 3210 @ 2.8GHz, Gigabyte P965-DS3, 4 x 1GB Ballistix DDR2-800, Asus HD3870 TOP, Enhance ENP5150-GH, Lian-Li/RF case, HK Champagne 2.1, Xigmatek HDT cooler

Here is a good guide if you want to dual boot XP and Vista.

http://www.syschat.com/dual-boot-vis...eady-1946.html

I found it to be a very useful guide.