Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vista DRM is F***in Killin Me....

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ak_47_boy View Post
    For some reason they decided to lock out s/pdif audio and component video Component is the only way i can run my computer to my projector (long cable). Besides, component video was always the winner in quality too. No s/pdif? Their is no other half decent audio output that exists, for hifi anyway.

Vista SP1 is already out, vista has more holes than XP did that this stage. Not to mention being bloated and buggy.

But on the other hand there is many improvements. We just have to rely on m$ to fix bugs and hackers to fix drm.
    Umm no, Vista has way less holes at this stage, I don't know how you came up with that. Vista sp1 has not released yet either.

About the monitor not supporting Hi-Def content, this has been known about for quite a while. It's not Vista, it's HDCP. The MPAA and Intel came up with HDCP and MS included it in Vista because if they didn't make Vista HDCP compliant, then no one would be able to watch HDCP protected content at all. Basically, all the parts (HD-DVD, Video Card, OS, DVI cable and Monitor) have to be HDCP compliant. If any of those are not compliant, no Hi-Def. The MPAA is to blame here. They think you are going to plug your DVI cable into some non-existant device to record their precious movies and distribute them in their HD glory.

Shortly before HDDVD's and Blu-Ray's came out they said they weren't going to enable HDCP for years until many people had compliant devices, but they lied. Anyways, try using a VGA instead of DVI, I haven't really heard if it works, but HDCP is supposed to be ignored over an analog connection, you might be able to get 1080i.. Not sure though.

I have also heard something about Vista's default CD-burning mode is some Vista-only format, so discs burned from Vista, by default can only be read by Vista. I think I read it over at Hardocp's 30 days with Vista..

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Kunaak,

I think you are singing the wrong tune here.

Microsoft doesnt force DRM solutions onto consumers. If you are trying to play copyright material that you do not have proper rights to play, it wont play.

Example is your lack of HDCP. That is not a Vista problem, or a Microsoft problem. Vista just supports the usage of such DRM solutions.

Try to play your HD-DVD on a windows XP or linux OS and you will end up with the same problem. No HDCP compliance (requires HDCP video card and monitor) = no playback of encrypted high-def movies.

While I share in your frustration, shout your concerns about DRM to the movie studios and record labels, not vista.

About your media problems - Myself and dozens of others have absolutely no problem playing back all media formats that are not secured by some form of DRM. Your media probably wont read because of other reasons, not because of copyright protection schemes.
    Last edited by irev210; 06-22-2007 at 01:55 PM.
    CPU: Intel CORE 2 Duo E6550 @ 3.6GHz w/ 1.29vcore (517*7)
    Motherboard:
    Gigabyte P35-DQ6
    Memory:
    Crucial 8500's
    Video:
    Nvidia 8800GTX
    PSU:
    Zippy 700W (fan modded of course)

Xtreme 3D Mark Team Staff
    it is forced on me...

I bought my HD DVD Drive.
    I bought my HD DVD Movies.
    I bought my Vista.
    I bought my Dell 2005FPW.

I have the right to play it... its mine, it should play.
    thats all there is to it.
    I dont care about record lables or pirates or anything else.
    its mine, it should work.

"The command and conquer model," said the EA CEO, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

Xtreme Cruncher
    did you find a fix? IMHO, i bet its some stupid default feature that has been ticked in vista that causes this trouble.

some ideas:

eliminated udf compatibility
    hidden files and such
    some random crap about joliet formatting mt. rainer?
    did some quick googling and couldn't find anything.

best of luck.

and i agree. vista. screw those who designed vista. screw those who wrote the code.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Kunaak View Post
    I have no idea what the problem is...
    I've spent a hour on google, searching for any form of "disable vista CD content check", mixing up the words... trying to look into hackers sites, delving deep into pirating sites... anywhere.
    I dont care anymore about whats legal with vista.
    if I have to crack things in vista, that microsoft doesnt want me to do... to get a functional OS... from now on, I am gonna.
    I just dont care any more.
    vista is so damn bad, that I will take any solution I can find, no matter where it comes from, even if that means hacking the OS to do it.

my last major blow out with vista, was, when I tried to get HDDVD's to play... only to find that vista will not allow you to play a HDDVD on a screen thats not HDCP... which for me, means they expect me to buy a new screen just to be able to watch movies... that I paid for.
    I just bought this LCD last summer... a dell 2005 FPW... and now vista says its not good enough?
    oh hell no.
    hacking is becoming my new hobby, cause vistas so damn bad, that often the solutions are not exactly something MS wants you to do.
    did I get HDDVD's to play on my OS, without having to buy a whole new LCD?
    yep sure did.
    was it legal?
    probably not.
    do I care?
    hell no.
    if this is the kinda thing I have to resort to, to get a functional OS... then thats what I am gonna do.
    I am tired of trying to find solutions with MS, on how to fix various problems.
    thier solutions always seem to either require me reinstalling XP... or buying some new hardware that I dont need.

with the media problem... I havent found a solution yet.
    but I do have a few good leads now...

what I can say, is when media is blocked, you can easily see it.
    what happens is... you can check the properties of the disc, and see that say 4 gigs of data is burned to that disc... but you cannot access the disc at all. vista says nothing is there.
    upon putting the discs in my friends laptop yesterday... all discs are fine.

then do something like put in my copy of fear... which also is a DVD.. and explore the disc... and then everything shows up just fine....

also, download some movie trailers... burned them in vista, with nero 7.6... explore the disc.... they work just fine.

so the drive... and discs are all fine.

I just cannot access any form of media, that I burned over the last few years... unless it was burned with Vista.

god I hate vista....
    Damn dude you sound like one frustrated person in reality this is what drives people to go with the Pirate solution . I never had that choice I just went with the pirate solution . Turns up MP3 player :P

Xtreme X.I.P.
    it is forced on me...

I bought my HD DVD Drive.
    I bought my HD DVD Movies.
    I bought my Vista.
    I bought my Dell 2005FPW.

I have the right to play it... its mine, it should play.
    thats all there is to it.
    I dont care about record lables or pirates or anything else.
    its mine, it should work.

Its not forced on you. I can release a movie format that requires you to call india and enter in a 20 digit key code for a new activation number every time you decide to watch my movie format. Will anyone buy it? NO, but in good ol USA, both the creators and consumers have a choice.

Nobody said you had to buy any of that, and Vista is not the reason why your HD-DVD movies wont play.

Everyone always looks to Vista for the source of all of their DRM problems
    Motherboard:
    Gigabyte P35-DQ6
    Memory:
    Crucial 8500's
    Video:
    Nvidia 8800GTX
    PSU:

Evil Kitty
    Quote Originally Posted by irev210 View Post
    Everyone always looks to Vista for the source of all of their DRM problems

If the shoe fits....

The reason "Everyone always looks to Vista for the source of all of their DRM problems" is because in many cases Vista is the problem. MS snuggling up with all the content providers to impose buggy DRM measures is not a good thing. Most pirates can work around the crappy DRM schemes anyway while the non-pirates are frustrated. Not smart business. And MS isn't helping.

When the content providers finally give up their outdated economic models and learn to deal with intellectual property in the digital age, then we will finally get somewhere. Current DRM schemes are a kludge only slowing the development of a better way. MS is just a henchman for outdated DRM advocates.
    9900k @ 5.1Ghz
    Asus Maximus Hero XI
    32GB (8 x 4) Gskill @4000
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    OS & Apps: Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
    Games: Samsung 970 Pro 1TB
    Storage: Crucial M500 2TB
    Seasonic Platinum 1000W
    Phanteks Evolv X

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdzcpa View Post
    If the shoe fits....

The reason "Everyone always looks to Vista for the source of all of their DRM problems" is because in many cases Vista is the problem. MS snuggling up with all the content providers to impose buggy DRM measures is not a good thing. Most pirates can work around the crappy DRM schemes anyway while the non-pirates are frustrated. Not smart business. And MS isn't helping.

When the content providers finally give up their outdated economic models and learn to deal with intellectual property in the digital age, then we will finally get somewhere. Current DRM schemes are a kludge only slowing the development of a better way. MS is just a henchman for outdated DRM advocates.

I agree with your statement about content providers... but tell me, what does Vista do to prohibit the playback of any non-copyright protected media?

I think vista gets blamed because they see it as the end-all be-all for DRM. "Oh well, I upgraded to windows Vista so I could watch HD-DVD, but Vista doesnt let me!" When in fact, it isnt vista that is preventing him, but HDCP... which has nothing to do with Vista.

Plug your cable box into your Dell 2005FPW LCD via HDMI or DVI and you will be given an error "HDCP Auth failed"

I can guarantee you your cable box runs no form of Microsoft Vista OS on it.

Please dont confuse my position about DRM solutions, but dont blame the wrong people responsible for it. Focus your attention on Movie studies, content providers, record labels, etc. Donate $ to the EFF (electronic fronter foundation). Last year alone I donated over 300 dollars to EFF.
    Last edited by irev210; 06-23-2007 at 07:20 PM.
    Motherboard:
    Gigabyte P35-DQ6
    Memory:
    Crucial 8500's
    Video:
    Nvidia 8800GTX
    PSU:

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The only real solution is to dual-boot or have one machine for real life, and the other for the games that require DX10 to work.

1998 - monopoly on business software
    2007 - monopoly on gaming API
    2012 - ???

Xtreme Addict
    Shouldn't there be cracks, patches, or hacks out in the wild so we can watch HD on a non certified monitor? What is stopping the use of these
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ Intel i7 3770k
    ░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░ ASUS GTX680
    ░░░░░░█░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▀▀▄░░░░░ ASUS Maximun V Gene
    ░░░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░░█░░░░ Mushkin 8GB Blackline
    ░░░░█░░░░░░▄██▀▄▄░░░░░▄▄▄░░░█░░░░ Crucial M4 256GB
    ░░░▀▒▄▄▄▒░█▀▀▀▀▄▄█░░░██▄▄█░░░█░░░ Hitachi Deskstar 2TB x2
    ░░█▒█▒▄░▀▄▄▄▀░░░░░░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒▒█░░ FSP 750W Gold
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ Fractal Arc Mini

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Be careful where this thread is heading. Dangerous ground.

Warez, Crackz & Copyrighted Material

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is to clarify the position of this site regarding Warez information and warez sites, Crackz and information about crackz, and the posting and downloading of copyrighted material.

Xtremesystems.org prohibits the promotion of, and reference to, any program or website which contains or distributes Warez, Crackz, and pirated copyrighted material, including but not limited to music and video.

Discussion of Warez, crackz, and pirated copyrighted material is not permitted in this forum. Any offer to provide or request to receive warez, crackz, and bootleg material will be deleted without notice and the offender will be warned. A repeat offense is grounds for permanent dismissal, without recourse, from these forums.

This is a serious issue for this Forum. Allowing discussion of and, by extension condoning the distribution of, said information jeopardizes the very existence of this Forum. As such, it will not be tolerated. For the long-term future of this site, please abide by this rule.

Thanks,

Xtreme Systems Staff
    Q6600 @ 3.6, cheap water cooling, and crunching 24/7

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by thecoldanddark View Post
    Umm no, Vista has way less holes at this stage, I don't know how you came up with that. Vista sp1 has not released yet either.
    Lol I just remembered...the whole buffer overflow fiasco

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nooc View Post
    Lol I just remembered...the whole buffer overflow fiasco
    Do you mean the cursor bug where you had to turn off UAC and IE7 protected mode?
    Last edited by thecoldanddark; 06-24-2007 at 11:05 PM.

Xtreme Guru
    god I hate vista....

seems every goddamn time I have to do something with vista, it gets worse, and worse. theres never a solution... and its always bad.

now...

I cannot access any content on dozens of discs I have.

photos, video, raw footage, raw pics... music...

anything, thats a form of media, seems to be blocked.
    after pissing around with a idiot at MS for 2o minutes... heres what I found out.

media, burned to a disc, that was not burned in Vista, cannot be played back in vista or accessed.

wheres the middle finger smiley? I need that right now...

if I could have reached through that phone, I would have strangled that guy the second he told me that, cause I knew it was something ridiculous like that.

man, every time I feel sorta ok with vista again...
    something happens to elevate my hate of vista to uncontrollabable levels.
    I cannot believe that I am expected to use this OS as my main OS for the next 5 years.
    sure... I can stick with XP.
    but I am a gamer... I want DX10.
    no vista, no DX10.

but GODDAMN.... I wanna just find the MS parking lot, and just take a bat to every car there.....

I hate vista....
    I hate vista....
    I hate vista....
    I hate vista....
    dude, lol i'm so f n' sorry. is dx-10 really worth it? like better fps, have you used a dx-9 bench and dx-10 bench to test the difference in gain +%- ?
    mobo: strix b350f
    gpu: rx580 1366/2000
    cpu: ryzen 1700 @ 3.8ghz
    ram: 32 gb gskill 2400 @ 3000
    psu: coarsair 1kw
    hdd's: samsung 500gb ssd 1tb & 3tb hdd

Xtreme Addict
    I like vista on my laptop so far, but I have not migrated it over to my desktop yet. So I havent really had any issues with DRM, but then again I dont use any HD-DVD or Blue Ray disks.

So far every MP3, AVI, JPEG etc has worked flawlessly in vista for me. But then again I keep all my software/pics/movies backed up on HDDs on USB external enclosures, as opposed to DVD/CD...

I still think this whole HDCP thing is bull. There is no reason why anyone should have to buy a new monitor/tv and video card just to watch the movie that they dont even own (you own the disc, but have no rights) just to make up for the short comings of the record and movie industry. Music and movies just arent what they used to be, entertaining.
    Phenom 9950BE @ 3.24Ghz| ASUS M3A78-T | ASUS 4870 | 4gb G.SKILL DDR2-1000 |Silverstone Strider 600w ST60F| XFI Xtremegamer | Seagate 7200.10 320gb | Maxtor 200gb 7200rpm 16mb | Samsung 206BW | MCP655 | MCR320 | Apogee | MCW60 | MM U2-UFO |

A64 3800+ X2 AM2 @3.2Ghz| Biostar TF560 A2+ | 2gb Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 | Sapphire 3870 512mb | Aircooled inside a White MM-UFO Horizon |

Current Phenom overclock

Max Phenom overclock

Xtreme Cruncher
    While I don't have the particular issues that Kunaak mentions I must say that Vista is underwhelming for me.
    I ran it from rtm to Jan before giving up in disgust with the driver issues back then. After a recent overhaul of my garage box I decided to try again and see how things were progressing.

Driver situation is better though hardly great-particularly with less than new hardware. Power management is the major issure atm for me. Cool and quiet does not work at all and my nvidia gpu fan runs full bore at all times. MSI's crack motherboard tech support team continually informs me that I must download and install the latest cool and quiet drivers for that to work properly. (I'll leave you all to determine the validity of that response-I don't want to go off on a rant like my Alaskan brother ) The gpu issue is well discussed around the web also.

Bottom line is that this box, while it DOES work just fine, is probably drawing 3-4 times the amount of electricity as it would if I dumped Vista and installed XP or Ubuntu. This is hardly ideal since it's on most all the time-and almost exclusively web surfing and/or playing music. Nothing cpu or graphics intensive at all.

I do not own any protected media to play on the box and have no intention of acquiring any.
    I also have no interest in the DRM-fest that is HD-DVD and/or Blue Ray except perhaps as a better portable backup medium in the future-not likely unfortunately.

Direct 3D 10 may develop into something-sometime-or not
    Superfetch seems like a very good idea. I'd like it for XP.

Other than that (with regard to Vista) there's really nothing to see here.

I don't believe it is a coincidence that both Allchin and Gates decided that now seemed like a good time to walk away.
    Currently messing with:
    Intel DP55SB Sharpsberg
    i7-860 (stock) under a Zalman CNPS-8700NT cooler
    4x4GB Corsair Vengence @ 1600
    XFX Radeon 5850 Black Edition (765, 1125 stock)
    Mushkin Chronos DX 240GB and 1.5 TB WD Black