Thread: Questions Concerning Chillers And Application of

Xtreme Member

Questions Concerning Chillers And Application of

To understand my questions I must first state my future build. I plan to refit a window AC unit to a liquid chiller. I plan to cool a 4 cores (whether it be a single chip like the Qx6700 or two FX 74s) and two graphics cards (most likely 8800 Ultras) as well as the MOSFET and Ram with said liquid. As I will not actually be purchasing the electronic parts till I have the cooling setup complete. As I have enough money and time to put into this I may get completed by the time newer product get released

Now as for the questions:

1a. How powerful of a window AC units (BTUs) do I need and still maintain a temp below 0 C?

1b. Would a 28k BTU cooler be such an overkill to drop temperatures below -62 C?*

2. Instead of bulky insulation that blocks off PCI slots, is there a liquid or a gel I could suspend the motherboard RAM and PCI cards (covered in waterblocks of course) in that are non conductive, noncorrosive, nontoxic, and preferably clear (something along the line of transformer fluid)?**

3. In a sealed container, how could I compensate for the expansion and contraction of the suspension liquid when dropping or rising in temperature?

4. What are to minimum operating temps of Iwaki pumps?

5. Is there any way I can get a EK fullcover block with a bronze top as I do not trust the delrin and acetal tops.

* I realize that a 28k BTU AC unit is an incredible amount of overkill but it wouldn't be Xtreme if I didn't at least ask.

** I would seal the mobo and said parts in an clear plastic box. I would have small extension cords running from the the motherboard and PCI cards to the through the box (power, audio, video, USB, firewire, PS2, serial, parallel, SATA, IDE) and two Copper pipes running through it for the chilled liquid.
    Last edited by AllAgainstPaul; 05-29-2007 at 06:08 PM.

Budgets, Bling, We Need Not These. We Have Science!

Xtreme Member
    *cracks knuckles*

First off, don't bother chilling your mosfets/ram. It won't increase your stability like chilling your cores will. Just make sure there's some decent airflow over their heatsinks.

1a. Well, let's calculate your load. Say 270W CPU, 2x150W GPU, and 40W pump. That's 610W total load, or 2070 ish BTU/hr at your loaded temps. I would guesstimate that a 5000BTU unit will likely let you maintain a 0*C ish load temp.

1b. Yeah, that's a tad overkill. I'm looking at 9000 BTU's for a load of 400W at -30*C for a unit I'm buikding. But the best load temp you can ever really expect off of a system charged with r22 (like most A/C's) is -40*C, and that's with a monster unit.

2. Not really. You could try mineral oil, I suppose, and then insulate the tank, but you will need some bulky foam insulation somewhere.

3. I haven't heard of any problems myself with that, but I don't know...

4. Iwakis have been reported working fine at -50*C, which probably colder than you'll get with this unit, so I wouldn't worry about it.

5. You'll have to ask the maker himself. Although a full-cover block would be an insulation nightmare. Stick to a GPU only block. And if you find a decent all-metal one, let us know. We're looking too .

I would look into making a chillbox if I were you. Do a search for it here and at EOCF, and you'll find a lot of good sources.

Your best bet is to stick around and read a lot of stickies and build threads.

I hope that helps!

Xtreme Member
    Well I found a few liquids I could "technically" submerge my motherboard in.
    OptiCool
    Crystal Plus 70T
    Luminol TRi

Now I will have to contact the manufacturers to see if any of these liquids are detrimental to any of the electronic boards and wire coating submersed into them, but they are relatively inexpensive, specifically the Crystal Plus 70T.

Budgets, Bling, We Need Not These. We Have Science!

Xtreme Mentor
    lol better go here> http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=494311

and forget the whole concept of immersion cooling.

A 12,000BTU AC is MORE then enough to hold it at 0C how ever you must under stand about sizing your evap and how to utilize temp control systems.

How to handle expansion and contraction? It is called a surge tank, you can make a simple cheap one using PVC or copper and two connectors on the same end. Read up about expansion tanks; Surge tank, and that will explain them to you.

Bigger A/C you use the more you will want to load the loop to keep evap pressure up as to not end up consuming too much energy 7C is ideal point to aim for as it is a nice medium for every things efficiency.
    Bring back natural selection! No more warning lables!

The one and Only MG Pony