Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DFI LANParty UT NF680i LT SLI-T2R - Mini-Review

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Last edited by Pedro Rocha; 06-01-2007 at 02:38 PM.

Xtreme Old School Moderator
    Sorry, but no more dicussions about stability / stress prime will be allowed in this thread or other thread in XS Reviews

For those you want dicuss what is stable system and if stress prime is the best method I create this thread http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=146441 on XOC Q&A, please express your opinions there.

If you want post your comments about this Review or the DFI LANParty UT NF680i LT SLI-T2R, feel free to do it here

Thank you
    Last edited by Pedro Rocha; 06-01-2007 at 02:41 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Any chance of some Raid 0 performance benchmarks with HDTach etc?

Thanks

If it ain't watercooled, I don't wanna know.

Quote Originally Posted by Mekrel View Post
    Any chance of some Raid 0 performance benchmarks with HDTach etc?

Thanks
    HDTach with single HD sure

RAID no, I don't use RAID for many years, I'm to old and lazy for frequent HD formats or backups

Try to find that info other less Overclock oriented review / post , I'm sure you will find it..

I have done some memory bandwith test and you may find suprised by the results..

First some important findings:

- Always use yellow slots for much higher bandwith -
    - If you use the orange slots with 1T you can OC the memory a bit more (5 to 10Mhz) you will loose on bandwith
    - At least in the orange slots if you use more than 2.55v real VDim (around 2.67 set in bios) the board will only detected 1 stick of DDR2 (see capture above)
    - As always bandwith depenpends on cup multiplier / strap - for my QX6700 the sweat spot seems to be 11x - do some testing with your cpu by comparing everest mem read.

And now some bandwith

DDR 1160 4-3-3-5 2T

DDR 840 3-3-3-3 1T

I never expetect to see this results, much lower speed with tight beat higher speed with more relaxed timmings

This board needs a lot of testing to find the sweat spot for your cpu / memory so be prepared to spend a few hours

Xtreme X.I.P.
    the yellow slots were originally stated for 2t clocking to me from Tony, I never checked actual bandwidth performance though, might be worth checking out..

k|ngp|n/Sham my brothers
    Pedro, do you have a Core 2 Duo CPU to test how this mobo doing at 1:1 and Cas 3-3-3-x and 1T?.......Thanks M8......

Also how hot is the Digital PWR when working the QUAD @ 3800MHz+...
    INTEL PWA FOR EVER

Dr. Who my arss...

Xtreme Guru
    wow really good ram timings with 1T... btw very nice mini revew Pedro Rocha
    Evga X58 sli under cascade
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=219788
    Evga X58 Sli ultimate overclocking/ overview/ discussion thread
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=221082

proud owner of E8600 Q822A435

Quote Originally Posted by hipro5 View Post
    Pedro, do you have a Core 2 Duo CPU to test how this mobo doing at 1:1 and Cas 3-3-3-x and 1T?.......Thanks M8......

Also how hot is the Digital PWR when working the QUAD @ 3800MHz+...
    Yes sure, I will test this weekend

Hot of course, but I put a fan over Digital PWR (not a Delta like yours ) - with 40mm fan I would say around 60ºC, is hot but nothing compared with the P5K Dlx cpu voltage regulators than can reach more than 100ºC

For OC, and much specially with Quad Cores, active cooling is almost mandatory on the Digital PWR - se photo at Post #2 http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...15&postcount=2
    Last edited by Pedro Rocha; 06-02-2007 at 06:18 AM.

Your wishes are orders to me , see Core 2 Duo results at post http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...15&postcount=2

I suspect you will like to see that numbers

BTW: dam hot here today (near 30ºC) seems that I am in Greece, think I have to go out to buy some Delta Fans

k|ngp|n/Sham my brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Rocha View Post
    Your wishes are orders to me , see Core 2 Duo results at post http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...15&postcount=2

I suspect you will like to see that numbers

BTW: dam hot here today (near 30ºC) seems that I am in Greece, think I have to go out to buy some Delta Fans

Hmmm......ONLY at up to 420MHz?.....

DELTAs for ever....
    INTEL PWA FOR EVER

Dr. Who my arss...

Hmmm......ONLY at up to 420MHz?.....

DELTAs for ever....
    Absolutely not

Last edited by Pedro Rocha; 06-02-2007 at 09:22 AM.

k|ngp|n/Sham my brothers
    Absolutely not
    Ahhhh......NOW you're talking....
    INTEL PWA FOR EVER

Dr. Who my arss...

As you can see in the photo above I mounted the DFI 680i in the cascade, altought it really needs to recalibrate (drop to -78ºC or more in load) I can have an idea how it compares to a fully moded (vcore, vdrop, vmem) EVGA 680i with serious cooling.

Here is the photo:

After boot up, I noticed that I can not use the 11x with 1:1 - that is really bad since 11x will be the sweat spot for 450Mhz 3-3-3..1T benching

In terms of overclok I would say it overclocks approximately less 100Mhz than the full mod EVGA680i in the same conditions - so the Vdrop mod should be realy needed for extreme overclocking.

Anyway here are the results:

And of course I have to run my favorite game - altought for now with a Single Card fully stock, here are the results

The 2 Lobbies (specially Loby High) and the Car High are quite good for less than 4.900Mhz

I will do some SLI runs later..

Also I think I need to get some post, and discover how to do VDrop mod..

Anyway this was not to bad for fully stock motheboard

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks for the review, especially the memory findings.

So even with an added 5/10 Mhz at the same timings, the orange slots will be slower than the yellow?

Just came into stock in the UK and I have an itchy finger

Was looking forward to watercooling the NB, but the hooks make it a pain. I think the kind of overclock I'm looking for (on water) means the default heatsink with a very quiet fan will sufice either way.

I'll go look for Raid performance

If it ain't watercooled, I don't wanna know.

Xtreme Member
    maybe the Raid is badly compared with the ICHXR . The matrix is absolutely amazing :O .

Very nice board!! Thanks for the mini review

Here is a quick SLI run with the 8800 ultras full stock

I think there is margin for improvement, specially after the vdrop mod, anyway not to shabby for a quick run in a HD with Windowd recent installed (some tweaks missing there)

As forecasted 3-3-3...1T make wonders in 3DMark2001, hope the next Bios alllow me the full use of the 11x multiplier to have some 1:1 450Mhz 3-3-3...1T action

Xtreme Addict
    Pedro,

I ran my memory in both the orange and yellow slots and checked bandwidth in Everest and SiSoft... here are my results.

Comments:

• Strangely, I could not get the board to POST with the RAM running at 1T in the yellow slots.
    • At 1100MHz running 2T command rate, there was no difference between the yellow and orange slots with my memory. What am I missing?
    • Oddly, when switching RAM between slots, the board requires a CMOS clear to POST. Then after adjusting settings (loading from cmos reloaded profiles for example) and rebooting, it would hang on POST code #75 for 2 minutes before rebooting normally. I'm not sure why it does this, any thoughts?.
    • 1T is marginally faster at 800MHz than 2T at 1100MHz (at least according to Everest... Sisoft Sandra has 1T slightly slower).

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualrain View Post
    Pedro,

I ran my memory in both the orange and yellow slots and checked bandwidth in Everest and SiSoft... here are my results.

*SNIP*

Comments:

• Strangely, I could not get the board to POST with the RAM running at 1T in the yellow slots.
    • At 1100MHz running 2T command rate, there was no difference between the yellow and orange slots with my memory. What am I missing?
    • Oddly, when switching RAM between slots, the board requires a CMOS clear to POST. Then after adjusting settings (loading from cmos reloaded profiles for example) and rebooting, it would hang on POST code #75 for 2 minutes before rebooting normally. I'm not sure why it does this, any thoughts?.
    • 1T is marginally faster at 800MHz than 2T at 1100MHz (at least according to Everest... Sisoft Sandra has 1T slightly slower).
    If the difference in 1T overclocking on the yellow slots is worth Tony saying something my guess is that there is some difference between the treatment of these pairs of slots and the chipset. This would explain the lack of boot in the yellow slots. seem to have lost the link but i too heard tonys statement about the orange slots being the ones to use for 1T. What do you think the chances are of running this board with 4x1gb at 1T?
    Last edited by I)ickie; 06-06-2007 at 04:00 PM.
    Rig 1: Core 2 Quad q6600 under TR Ultra 120 ex, ASUS P5E Deluxe, 4x1Gb Crucial Balistix DDR2 667, 4870, 1TB samsung F1, Stacker 810, HX620

Rig 2: E6700 under Big Typhoon, P5b Deluxe Wifi, 2x2gb Gskill Pq, MSI 4850, Seagate 250gb 7200.10, NZXT Apollo, vx450

Rig 3: AMD64 3000+ under Ultra90, DFI NF3 UT 250g, 2x1Gb DDR 400, 7300gt DDR3, 160gb Hitachi Deskstar

Rig 4: m1730 core2 p9500, 2x8800gtx, 4gb DDR2, 2x250gb, Blu Ray

Rig 5: ASUS n10jc Atom @ 2.0ghz, 9300gs, 2gb DDR2, 160gb

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by I)ickie View Post
    If the difference in 1T overclocking on the yellow slots is worth Tony saying something my guess is that there is some difference between the treatment of these pairs of slots and the chipset. This would explain the lack of boot in the yellow slots. seem to have lost the link but i too heard tonys statement about the orange slots being the ones to use for 1T. What do you think the chances are of running this board with 4x1gb at 1T?
    I think you answered your own question ...with my experience not being able to POST with 1T in the yellow says to me it's going to be damn near impossible to run four sticks at 1T on this board.

BTW, Pedro, if you are around, I'm still interested in understanding how you get more bandwidth from the yellow slots.

Xtreme Member
    I think you answered your own question ...with my experience not being able to POST with 1T in the yellow says to me it's going to be damn near impossible to run four sticks at 1T on this board.

BTW, Pedro, if you are around, I'm still interested in understanding how you get more bandwidth from the yellow slots.
    Naive hope that perhaps the board would exhibit different behavior when all four slots were loaded.
    Thanks for the reply
    Rig 1: Core 2 Quad q6600 under TR Ultra 120 ex, ASUS P5E Deluxe, 4x1Gb Crucial Balistix DDR2 667, 4870, 1TB samsung F1, Stacker 810, HX620

Rig 2: E6700 under Big Typhoon, P5b Deluxe Wifi, 2x2gb Gskill Pq, MSI 4850, Seagate 250gb 7200.10, NZXT Apollo, vx450

Rig 3: AMD64 3000+ under Ultra90, DFI NF3 UT 250g, 2x1Gb DDR 400, 7300gt DDR3, 160gb Hitachi Deskstar

Rig 4: m1730 core2 p9500, 2x8800gtx, 4gb DDR2, 2x250gb, Blu Ray

Rig 5: ASUS n10jc Atom @ 2.0ghz, 9300gs, 2gb DDR2, 160gb

I'm in my laptop now, think I have some screen capture that evidence the diference in my bench disk, altought small there is diference.

What sticks you have ??

With my Corsair - 8500C5 and 6400C3 - I can run at 1T with no problem at all in booth the EVGA and 680i with no problem at all.

Also remember a basic law of physic - less cycle (1T) need much more voltage .. for 410 3-3-3-1T, 2.40V in Dimms is the miminum for 1T benching ..of course my 450 3-3-3 1T (see above) I was using around 2.6V.

Two things you guys should remember.
    - 2.6 or even 2.5v should be only use for benching - NOT to 24/7
    - Always use active cooling over the DDR2 sticks with higger voltages.

A final note regarding some comments from you :

My reviews are Overclocked Oriented Reviews - they are not by any mean intend to reproduce a 24/7 use environment!!
    If you want stock level or moderate OC reviews, please look elsewhere, here in XS or all other over the internet.. there are hundreds for stock level or moderate OC reviews.

I do these reviews on pure hobby basis, I am not and I am not intended to be a professional reviewer.

I just want to leave these 2 things quite clear

Xtreme Addict
    Pedro, good grief, I'm not trying to be difficult for you in any way. I don't know why you are defensive... what did I say that offended you?

BTW, I think hobby reviews are the most valueable and I've found your work here interesting and I've posted a link to your review and some of your tips on my blog to share with others with full credit to you of course. I mean no disrespect... let me be clear about that! (I may be jealous of the resources you have but that's the extent of my ill feelings! )

Anyway, back to this board...

When you said that you could get more memory bandwidth from the yellow slots I wasn't sure whether that meant that clock for clock the yellow slots were faster or you could get higher clocks from the yellow slots. Can you elaborate?

As you can see a few posts up, your comments encouraged me to try both slots to see if I could improve my memory performance in anyway. The results speak for themselves... they were statistically the same for me at 2T and 1T would not POST in the yellow slots.

I'm using Mushkin PC2-8500 2x2GB (rated for 5-4-4-12 at 1066) which is a very good kit of 4GB... maybe the best... but still no match for 2x1GB. I've found this kit very stable at 2.3V at 800MHz 4-3-3-8 1T on this board for 24-7 use. I could run it as high as 900MHz 1T which is amazing for 2x2GB sticks, but I'm FSB limited on my quad and find that I get the best memory performance running linked/synced as in my sig.

Cheers!

Hi virtualrain

Sorry I lead you to misunderstand me, neither I'm at defensive, neither you offend me.

This a general observation for all used, not for you in particular

Back on topic : I only compared 1T speed versus 1T speed on yellow / orange slots. Didnt even compared 2T speeds.

I can do some test with 2T, maybe with 2T results are similar.

But for the me the main advantages of the DFI over the EVGA is the much higger overclock you can achieve in 1T with lower timmings.

Xtreme Addict

Back on topic : I only compared 1T speed versus 1T speed on yellow / orange slots. Didnt even compared 2T speeds.

I can do some test with 2T, maybe with 2T results are similar.

But for the me the main advantages of the DFI over the EVGA is the much higger overclock you can achieve in 1T with lower timmings.
    Ok... I see what you are saying about yellow/orange now. I'm still perplexed as to why I couldn't even post in the yellow slots at 1T

BTW, I don't think testing with 2T on this board is worthwhile, as you say, 1T is where the performance is at on this board.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast