Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Asus P5K-Deluxe sata Problem

Xtreme Member
    sadly I too will rma my board....... hope it doesn't take 2 weeks to get a new one.
    i5 760 @ 3.80Ghz (200x19) 1.25v | Asus P7P55D-E Pro
    2x EVGA 460GTX 1G | G.Skill 8G CL9 1600 @ 1600 8-8-8-24-1 1.60v
    2x WD 160G Raid 0 | Hitachi 750G | WD 1TB
    Antec Quattro 850w | CNPS 10X Performa
    Antec Twelve Hundred Case

Xtreme Mentor
    I seem to not be detecting with all of my sata ports either. Bummer indeed. I need to figure out what is what. My OCing is so good I am almost willing to put up with it and go with fewer hard drives.

Xtreme Member
    Ok, this is strange......I took my 2 80gig drives and hooked them up to my Abit Quad GT and created a raid 0 array. Then I hooked them up to my Asus board and installed xp pro. All seems to be going well. I was able to do a disk defrag and a norton internet security full system scan. Both of these would cause a blue screen reboot before. This leads me to believe the raid issues are a bios problem and not a problem with the board 'cos the intel matrix manager that creates the array is in the bios isn't it? If this is the case someone needs to let Asus know so they can fix the bios for us! I am going to let the system run over the weekend because my rma number is still good for 10 days. Sure hope I don't have any more errors!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    [QUOTE=426hemi;2224036]This leads me to believe the raid issues are a bios problem and not a problem with the board 'cos the intel matrix manager that creates the array is in the bios isn't it?QUOTE]

I agree the raid issues are more bios related but with me I absolutely could not get ONE sata drive to be recognized in bios on any ports other than 5 & 6. I did a 22hour CMOS clear and finally I could connect the HD to sata1 and install XP and load all drives and do the updates. But after that I could not change anything in BIOS without getting the "over clock failure" message at boot. Then after resetting to defaults a couple of times the HD disappeared from the main bios screen so sata1 was no longer detecting the device. I swapped it to sata5 and booted and could do some OC'ing. But upon a reboot I got the error message that no OS was found on the drive. I put the drive on another board and it would boot to windows. I sent the board back to xpcgear and am waiting on them for now.
    ASUS P8P67 Pro Rev3; Intel 2600K; GSkill Ripjaws 1600 (2x4GB); XFX 5870; WD Black 500G x2 Raid0; Silverstone Striker 750W; SwiftechApogee-XT-TC PA120.3-Swiftech MP655; Lian Li G70B; Win7-64

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The clueless don't even know they are.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -- Einstein

HEAT

Xtreme Member
    and i almost bought this board
    I'll wait for the R.O.G edition maybe that wouldn't have too many issues

Xtreme Addict
    Just built up a p5k-dlx system with a fresh raptor on one of the black sata ports (for now). It's the only sata device in the box. This thread's got me curious about two things -

1. If I'll get the issues you described
    2. How it goes rma with xpcgear, I ordered there too.

I'll fire it up this afternoon and try the different ports and try to load windows. I'll post back my results on this thread. Everything is brand new in this box and it's pretty minimal with just one drive one vid card, one ide optical drive.

I hope this is something they could cure in the bios. I don't like to rma - pain in the ass and waste a lot of time and I just did that on a squealing DFI. I'm an engineer and my time is money dang it! I don't have time for this hobby town troubleshooting crap. I'm getting to the point that I'd pay a $50 premium for a bug free board to avoid an rma. Where the F is the QC on this stuff nowadays?

Xtreme Member
    If you take the NB heat sink off a new board you will notice the TIM is not even melted yet so I think the first time you power on a board is its first time being on! Still no errors however since building the array with an ich8r mobo. I think a bios update will solve this problem, I just didn't want to wait..... Overall this is the best board I have owned so far.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcape View Post
    Just built up a p5k-dlx system with a fresh raptor on one of the black sata ports (for now). It's the only sata device in the box. This thread's got me curious about two things -

1. If I'll get the issues you described
    2. How it goes rma with xpcgear, I ordered there too.

I'll fire it up this afternoon and try the different ports and try to load windows. I'll post back my results on this thread. Everything is brand new in this box and it's pretty minimal with just one drive one vid card, one ide optical drive.

I hope this is something they could cure in the bios. I don't like to rma - pain in the ass and waste a lot of time and I just did that on a squealing DFI. I'm an engineer and my time is money dang it! I don't have time for this hobby town troubleshooting crap. I'm getting to the point that I'd pay a $50 premium for a bug free board to avoid an rma. Where the F is the QC on this stuff nowadays?
    I wouldn't get too wound up...certainly try the other ports for functionality. I had no problems with a single drive before I killed mine (pretty sure I connected to port 1) Didn't try raid but just might out of curiousity when I get the replacement board to see if there's just a few unlucky people out there or something more serious...
    When it's good it's really good...And when it's bad I go to pieces...

Xtreme Addict
    Old guy, haha thanks for the input, I'm wound up by default.

How did you kill your board btw? I did a quick search on your recent posts but didn't find any mention of something dying.

Xtreme Member
    Old guy, haha thanks for the input, I'm wound up by default.

How did you kill your board btw? I did a quick search on your recent posts but didn't find any mention of something dying.
    It locked up running 32m 4.5ghz with most of the voltage settings at or near max. Was tinkering with the reference voltages to see what helped or hurt...anyway after the crash she would just spin up the fans for a few seconds then set for a few seconds then just do that over and over. Clear cmos made no diff. I had pushed it hard for 24+ hours straight (literally, no sleep ) so I'm not surprised she gave up the ghost. I intended to exchange it anyway because dimm slots 1 and 3 had broken locking mechanisms right out of the box...she took a serious bash somewhere between here and China

Xtreme Enthusiast
    [QUOTE=OldGuy;2225024]...certainly try the other ports for functionalityQUOTE]

If I buy a board and only 2 out of 6 sata ports work I am going to get wound up about it. 2 of my ports worked but in a fashion I am not comfortable with (XP boot screen fades in). ASUS lets the retailer take the hit at first by forcing them to either replace the board or refund monies, though I am happy for either as long as the replacement meets the specs. But the cost has to be absorbed by someone and ultimately it is the customer via higher prices for launched products that are not ready for prime time so to speak. For $234 (which will be lower by the official June 4 release date) plus shipping and now a $8.95 RMA may not be a lot to some, and fankly it is not much to me, but there is the proverbial "principal" factor. I am tired of paying good money for something that does not meet specifications. For example: Intel IHSs lately are like spoons. May as well tie them to my fishing line and try to catch some salmon. Expensive lure I know but you get the point. Technically an IHS should be flat to a certain degree and lately they have missed this parameter by a mile.
    ASUS P8P67 Pro Rev3; Intel 2600K; GSkill Ripjaws 1600 (2x4GB); XFX 5870; WD Black 500G x2 Raid0; Silverstone Striker 750W; SwiftechApogee-XT-TC PA120.3-Swiftech MP655; Lian Li G70B; Win7-64

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -- Einstein

HEAT

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The QC went out the door the first time some bean counter realized they can make a ton of $$$ by releasing a product before it is matured. We read the reviews and pay a "premium" to have it first then become aware that there are inherent issues that may or may not be solved with bios updates. The real problem is when there are hardware issues. Then we have to wait for a hardware revision to address the problem. Money drives the bus, we just need to decide whether we want to take the initial tour. I did and unfortunately got a bum ride. I will say that out at least 100 boards I have tested over the years this is only the 4th one I had to RMA. However I will say that all 4 have come within the last year (DFI RD600, DFI Infinity, ASUS P5N-E SLi, and ASUS P5K Deluxe) and all were legitimate because the replacement boards I got were fine but the jury is still out on the ASUS P5K-D as I have not yet recieved the replacement.
    Last edited by sofarfrome; 06-01-2007 at 12:27 PM.

HEAT

Xtreme Member
    [QUOTE=sofarfrome;2225380]
    Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
    ...certainly try the other ports for functionalityQUOTE]

If I buy a board and only 2 out of 6 sata ports work I am going to get wound up about it. 2 of my ports worked but in a fashion I am not comfortable with (XP boot screen fades in). ASUS lets the retailer take the hit at first by forcing them to either replace the board or refund monies, though I am happy for either as long as the replacement meets the specs. But the cost has to be absorbed by someone and ultimately it is the customer via higher prices for launched products that are not ready for prime time so to speak. For $234 (which will be lower by the official June 4 release date) plus shipping and now a $8.95 RMA may not be a lot to some, and fankly it is not much to me, but there is the proverbial "principal" factor. I am tired of paying good money for something that does not meet specifications. For example: Intel IHSs lately are like spoons. May as well tie them to my fishing line and try to catch some salmon. Expensive lure I know but you get the point. Technically an IHS should be flat to a certain degree and lately they have missed this parameter by a mile.
    That comment was directed at MrCape...I would expect all the ports to work as you do. 2 out of 6 is certainly not acceptable. My point was to not get wound up for something he hadn't tested yet. You've done everything you can to work with this board and clearly have a lemon on your hands. YOU should definitely be wound up. I'd be pissed too believe me...nothing like sitting down to have a little fun with some new hardware and have it fight you at every turn....

Hope you get a good one next go round...

I am getting the same type errors on the p5k deluxe I tried to set up today. Any changes I make in the bios and save after hitting f10 the machine powers off and then restarts a few seconds later but does not boot. If I turn off the psu and power back on then I get the overclock failed message.

Xtreme Addict
    Mine arrives on Monday, should I not even bother to open the box? Sounds like a good option to me so far.

Just wondering: Is yours (the thread starter) the Wifi edition or just is it just the regular Deluxe edition?
    Asus Rampage II Gene, Xeon W3550 D0 Mushkin PC3-2000 6GB, BFG 9600GT OC 512MB DDR3
    Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe 1.01G, AMD A64 4000+, 2x1GB Ultra PC-3200, EVGA 7600GT 256MB DDR3
    Asus MA378-T with AMD Athlon 64 X2 7850
    ECS 945GCT-M/1333 v3.0, Intel Celeron E1400, MSI 8500GT 256MB DDR3
    BIOStar P4M900-M7 Rev. 7.0, Intel Celeron 440, 1GB Kingston, 6600LE
    Gigabyte M61PME-S2P with AMD Athlon 64 LE-1660, EVGA 8500GT 1GB DDR2

I am Xtreme
    Are there 2 versions already ? I though there was only the P5K Deluxe/WIFI avilable now and a P5K-E or something soon....
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Xtreme Addict
    I was under the impression that there are two versions, the Deluxe and the Deluxe Wifi.
    Asus Rampage II Gene, Xeon W3550 D0 Mushkin PC3-2000 6GB, BFG 9600GT OC 512MB DDR3
    Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe 1.01G, AMD A64 4000+, 2x1GB Ultra PC-3200, EVGA 7600GT 256MB DDR3
    Asus MA378-T with AMD Athlon 64 X2 7850
    ECS 945GCT-M/1333 v3.0, Intel Celeron E1400, MSI 8500GT 256MB DDR3
    BIOStar P4M900-M7 Rev. 7.0, Intel Celeron 440, 1GB Kingston, 6600LE
    Gigabyte M61PME-S2P with AMD Athlon 64 LE-1660, EVGA 8500GT 1GB DDR2

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jcniest5 View Post
    Mine arrives on Monday, should I not even bother to open the box? Sounds like a good option to me so far.

Just wondering: Is yours (the thread starter) the Wifi edition or just is it just the regular Deluxe edition?
    Yes, mine is/was the wifi edition. I will have it back this week from rma. I may just sell it and use the abit for now and wait for the x38 to come out.

HEAT

I am Xtreme
    Hows the Abit coming along, I'm having trouble with my setup but that's due to a bad CPU stepping, think if I pop in my 32A cpu it will be better, but it's just a temporary solution till Q6600 becomes payable...
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeghoofd View Post
    and a P5K-E or something soon....
    Not soon it's already out, I received mine about a week ago (Saturday last week).

So far I haven't had much problems (Got a bad start and killed my PSU ).

When I set up my system I used the #6 SATA port, all was fine, but I just installed a PATA drive (Long story, just had to check it as I couldn't do that on the other system (FAT32)).
    Anyway, as I shut down the system to hook up the PATA drive I decided to try the boot drive on the 1st SATA port...mmm that screwed up the screen (Missing lines), shut down, try #2....that's better, yet only the PATA drive was recognized.
    So I hooked it up to #5, that was working fine, I shut down to remove the PATA drive, and once again I hooked up the boot drive to port #1...it was recognized and it's running fine.

So no major problem here so far (Will hook up another PATA drive soon to see if it still/keeps on work(s)ing fine).

BTW: Mine also fades in.
    DFI nF3 Ultra-D - 3000+ Venice @ 300x9 - 2x512MB OCZ Value - Asus 6800 @ 16x1,6 - 80GB Hitachi 7K80 - PVR 150MCE - Tagan TG480-U22 2Force
    Abit ST6 - Tualeron 1.2 @ 1.6 or 1.0A @ 1693 (168FSB) - 2x 256MB MDT PC150 - Sparkle 235W - 80GB Maxtor - V8420S @ 335/705+ - 2K1 = 11485 - 2K3 = 1610
    Asus P5A - K6-III 400 - 128MB Mushkin PC150 Rev.3+ - Asus V3800 Ultra Deluxe or Asus V7100 - 2x 12MB Voodoo II - 40GB Hitachi - Q-Tec 550W

I'm NOT watching pr0n, I'm studying anatomy

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by KILLorBE View Post
    BTW: Mine also fades in.

So does the Abit, perhaps it is unique to the P35 chipset? Dunno...

HEAT

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeghoofd View Post
    Hows the Abit coming along
    So far the Abit is excellent. I have some info available on the Abit thread here

the last several posts...

What stepping is your CPU that is giving you problems?

HEAT

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Finally got my board back from RMA and what a difference. All SATA sockets recognize hard drives and the windows boot u p screen no longer fades in which is odd because it does on my Abit. Now I am contemplating an RMA for that one. We'll see...

I read somewhere people were having trouble with the wireless connection or set up but it went without a hitch for me. I have done a little OCing this morning without the dreaded OC failure I was getting before so in a nutshell the previous board was a bad one. So far this one is running great.

HEAT

Xtreme Guru
    I was trying for 6 hours trying to get my P5K vanilla to work.
    1st I could find my winxp disk so I used windows vista. Vista installed perfectly.
    Then I found my winxp disk so I tried to boot from the winxp cd but I keep getting error. And stupid vista boot screen comes up.
    1 (windows setup)
    2 load windows vista
    I select windows setup and I get file missing error bla bla
    If I go into bios and set all sata devices to AHCI and turn on the "Intel Robson Technology" in the SATA configuration under BIOS it will start loading the windows cd but as soon as you get to the screen where you make partitions etc. repair, install etc. I get a bsod that says run chdsk drive F.

There is no drive F.
    I have 2 sata devices: 1 sata liteon optical drive and 1 wd 740 raptor
    No floppy either.
    I am running at stock speeds. I even set my ram manually. I have no idea why this is happening. Thinking of going back to my DFI 965s and sending this POS back. I've tried both red /black set sata to ide mode. everything possible. I am out of ideas

I got a ide cdrom from my work.. i'll try that tonight in case winxp cant read the sata optical drive

oh my god. I just looked up AHCI in wikipedia and look what I found:
    Common problems switching to AHCI under Windows

* Enabling AHCI in a system BIOS will spawn a 0x7B BSoD STOP error on installations of Windows XP where AHCI/RAID drivers for that system's chipset are not installed. Switching to AHCI requires installing new drivers before changing BIOS settings. Some later versions of Windows XP Service Pack 2 include limited AHCI/SATA support
    * When attempting to install Microsoft Windows XP or a previous version on an AHCI-enabled system will cause the setup to fail with the error message "set up could not detect hard disk drive...". This problem can only be corrected by using a floppy disk with the appropriate drivers or by slipstreaming the appropriate drivers into the Windows XP installation CD.
    * Enabling AHCI in a system BIOS with Windows Vista already installed will result in a BSoD if SATA has been running in IDE mode during Vista's installation. Before enabling AHCI in the BIOS, users must first follow the instructions found at Microsoft Knowledge Base article 922976 (currently unavailable in English, see this workaround using babelfish).
    * Enabling AHCI or receiving a system with AHCI enable, will cause EPHD (Encryption Plus Hard Drive from PC Guardian) to error out when attempting to Hibernate out of Windows OS (such as Windows XP). The major aspect of this issue is that it can NOT be changed without reimaging/re-installing the entire system. There may be a root level fix not apparant on new (Circa April 2007) HP Compaq NC8430 laptops.
    * Enabling AHCI in a system BIOS on installations of Windows XP or Windows Vista, will cause SATA Optical drives to disappear. A Hotfix for Windows Vista is available. SATA optical drives are not available after you start a Windows Vista-based computer Microsoft Knowledge Base article
    Last edited by trans am; 06-29-2007 at 07:51 AM.

Smile 2010 Using windows 7 - & still having ICH10R problems

Hi,
    Firstly, sorry for maybe digging up (reviving) an old post, but I'm having many of the same problems you guys had, and these (mainly Sata port dropouts, slow boot up's and missing drives at random, plus the odd "Overclock failed" reset, despite running my board at stock settings.
    My current setup is based on a DFI Lanparty DK TRS2 P45 Plus with a Q6600 Quad Core2 CPU, 4GB DDR2 OCZ gold 800mhz memory (2X2GB sticks), a GTX260 896mb GFX card, a Corsair 650Watt PSU (whistles with the Nvidia GFX card, but I can live with that), not using qualified/tested caps in the PSU design no doubt, Two Western Digital Raptors (Sata150 or Sata1 standard) at 74gb capacity and 4 24/7 quality Seagate SV (surviellance video grade) 500gb low profile drives + a Sata DVD r/w 20 speed and a Pata DVD r/w 18 speed.
    The drives are connected via the Intel (black) ICH10r from ports 1 to 5 (two Raptors and three of the SV 500gb's), and the Jmicron (Yellow) connectors are the last SV500gb and the Sata DVD r/w (a Liteon), plus the PATA (also a Liteon) r/w.
    I have had countless problems with system hangs, and the "mouse swirl" thing while my pc makes its mind up to do something, and loads of Atapi and IDE error reports in the System event log.
    I bought enterprise quality Sata2 drives in the end, because I was sure that would fox my problems, and changed the Sata cables, but to no avail, the only thing that fixed my black bios screen overclock error, and ensured a stable boot, was to increase slightly the stock voltages of the North / South bridges. Before I had loads of problems with a couple of Sata2 Seagate ST500AS desktop hdds, but was sure (because Seagate had loads of issues with older firmware with these), that this was the cause, it apears not, and I too wish that the mighty corporation that is Intel, and Mainboard OEM's would do more research and Iron out the bugs rather than using "Joe User" to beta test infantile problems, before going, I will just point out that I had similar (almost Identical) problems with an Asus P5q Pro board that also had an intel (ICH9R) southbridge, and also had countless dropouts in either Raid0 / Jbod (non raid), and AHCI modes with both XP and Vista (pre Windows 7).
    Windows 7 is a bit special I have to say, re a previous post about enabling AHCI (Advanced Host Configuration Interface), If this isnt done at install time, it doesn't matter two much with 7, because it inserts its own registry entry, so is knows that the change has happened, you don't need a floppy inf anymore.

Sorry a bit of a long one, but my whinge is finally over (might try an Nvidia Mainboard soon to get away from the issue).

Baron210 (UK) South Coast.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12