Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Warning !!! Don't Buy Aluminium Waterblocks

Xtreme Addict
    Aluminum can be said to suck from a performance basis, but that's not even totally true. Koolance had to eat a lot of crow, but they did have a fundamental truth right. Al dissipates heat faster, Cu gathers it faster. It actually has more of an initial resistance vs aluminum. However, as the specific heat capacity of Al is lower, we tend to shy away from it, as well as the metal nobility issues. However, properly plated Al is just fine in many circumstances (I don't want an Al radiator, I like my brass ones just fine) where the specific heat output is not in excess of the transfer rate of the material. RAM blocks, MOSFET blocks, the memory channels of VGA fullcovers-all of them do not cool the most critical parts of the computer, which I agree require copper to do correctly.

The Zalman blocks plate all copper in gold to eliminate corrosion. So do Koolance. Swiftech mil-spec coats its Al. Aqua-computer often silverplates the copper cores of its coolers, and offers a few silver cored ones. It is in fact possible to create an all silver/aluminum loop from AC (if that's not a reason for the expense I dunno what is) Innovatek is plating its latest blocks. Almost everyone that offers aluminum anodizes the holy hell out of it. Occasionally there is a slipup, and there are horror pics like this and the well water pics floating around, and just like plane crashes, they're blown out of proportion because they're more publicized. More peple lose their rigs to crushing cores, spraying water and twisting tubes combined than to metal nobility concerns, but it's always Al's fault.

Keep repeating it, I'm sure some of you will believe it, but there are uses for Al even in the watercooling world. If you don't want it, don't use it, but don't assume that it's going to destroy your system in days.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrToad View Post
    If you don't deliberately scratch the plating, you won't get any galvanic corrosion.
    ten-fold anodization or not, I would not bet my components on someething like that and a statement like yours is exactly what we dont need.
    Sure swiftech is a respectable company, but if you do get galvanic corrosion problems because you have "2 anodized layers" and you ran straight distilled for performance, i am sure swiftech will tell you "too bad but you should've used swiftech hydrix aka an anti-corrosive additive" (it clearly states the use of hydrix ro other in all their manuals and all over their website)

Xtreme Addict
    Once again, the legal CYA. (cover your ass)

Xtreme Batrachian
    Quote Originally Posted by Senater_Cache View Post
    ten-fold anodization or not, I would not bet my components on someething like that and a statement like yours is exactly what we dont need.
    Sure swiftech is a respectable company, but if you do get galvanic corrosion problems because you have "2 anodized layers" and you ran straight distilled for performance, i am sure swiftech will tell you "too bad but you should've used swiftech hydrix aka an anti-corrosive additive" (it clearly states the use of hydrix ro other in all their manuals and all over their website)
    In which of my posts regarding galvanic corrosion, in this or other threads, have you seen me saying "Don't use additives"?

Go to the toilet and slap yourself three times in the face, will you?

People putting words in my mouth is what I don't need, thank you very much.

If you have a look at my rig in the gallery you'll see I use Zerex. If you search for my posts you'll realize that I've said in many occasions, much to some people's disappointment, that I use Zerex @5%. The only occasions I've mentioned, and not endorsed, the use of pure distilled water, is when the OP has asked for the best (reasonable) performing coolant.

*EDITed by IFMU*
    How about we put this bull to rest? Now.

IFMU
    Last edited by MrToad; 05-28-2007 at 11:04 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Swiftech is a reputable company and even then they caught a lot of flak for using ALU even if it was plated to military spec. However, companies like Koolance and AC don't even go to that extreme in ensuring their product won't cause corrosion.

I'm sorry but including ALU in any form is a mistake and a disservice to the hobby. We should NOT have to be mixing concoctions in order to guarantee full functionality across the lifespan of our products. I will not respect any company that makes the end user bear the burden, when it's the company's responsibility. It's doing a disservice to the hobby when the average joe doesn't know that he can't mix and match, corrodes his blocks and swears off the hobby. We lose another possible enthusiast that helps support our hobby.

Inno, Zalman, Aqua Computers, and Koolance don't deserve any of our business until they start respecting all customers by going copper instead of cutting corners to make a larger profit margin.
    MM Extended U2-UFO CYO (Duality front, Standard back, Horizontal Mobo brace) Anodized Black || eVGA X58 || Intel i7 920 || 6 GB Corsair Dominator PC3-12800|| eVGA 295GTX || Asus Xonar Essence STX || VisionTek 650 TV Tuner || 1 300GB WD Velociraptor || 1TB WD's Black Ed. || LG 22X DVD-Writer || Lite-On 20x DVD-Writer || Corsair CMPSU-1000HX PSU

CPU Loop: DDC-2 w/ XSPC Reservoir Top -> Swiftech GTZ -> Thermochill PA120.3 (Push: 3 Scythe S-Flex G)

GPU Loop: DDC-2 w/ XSPC Reservoir Top -> (Koolance VID-NX295 FC block) ->Thermochill PA120.3 (Push: 3 Scythe S-Flex G)

Chipset Loop: DDC-2 w/ XSPC Reservoir Top -> Alphacool Silentstar Dual HD waterblock enclosure -> Bitspower Black Freezer eVGA x58 MOSFET-> Bitspower Black Freezer eVGA x58 NB -> Thermochill PA120.2 (Pull: 2 Scythe S-Flex G)

2 x Dell 2408FPW LCD || Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 || Logitech G9 Mouse || Logitech G15 LCD Keyboard || Logitech Quickcam Ultravision || Sennheiser Headphones

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Kayin View Post
    Aluminum can be said to suck from a performance basis, but that's not even totally true. Koolance had to eat a lot of crow, but they did have a fundamental truth right. Al dissipates heat faster, Cu gathers it faster. It actually has more of an initial resistance vs aluminum. However, as the specific heat capacity of Al is lower, we tend to shy away from it, as well as the metal nobility issues. However, properly plated Al is just fine in many circumstances (I don't want an Al radiator, I like my brass ones just fine) where the specific heat output is not in excess of the transfer rate of the material. RAM blocks, MOSFET blocks, the memory channels of VGA fullcovers-all of them do not cool the most critical parts of the computer, which I agree require copper to do correctly.

The Zalman blocks plate all copper in gold to eliminate corrosion. So do Koolance. Swiftech mil-spec coats its Al. Aqua-computer often silverplates the copper cores of its coolers, and offers a few silver cored ones. It is in fact possible to create an all silver/aluminum loop from AC (if that's not a reason for the expense I dunno what is) Innovatek is plating its latest blocks. Almost everyone that offers aluminum anodizes the holy hell out of it. Occasionally there is a slipup, and there are horror pics like this and the well water pics floating around, and just like plane crashes, they're blown out of proportion because they're more publicized. More peple lose their rigs to crushing cores, spraying water and twisting tubes combined than to metal nobility concerns, but it's always Al's fault.

Keep repeating it, I'm sure some of you will believe it, but there are uses for Al even in the watercooling world. If you don't want it, don't use it, but don't assume that it's going to destroy your system in days.
    It has a use for those who want underperforming but pretty blocks with small bore tubing and a flow meter hooked up to a "pretty LCD" - but I've never wanted the use of Aluminium in any of my high performance loops.

If it ain't watercooled, I don't wanna know.

Xtreme Addict
    Do you avoid cars with mixed metals then? If it's been proven in the automotive industry, then I'll run it in my machine.

Stop spreading misinformation. You say you want no compromises, so why stay on water? There's phase out there, submersion cooling, etc-isn't water just a cost compromise? These people target themselves at certain parts of the market. Not all the ones mentioned are even targeting the high-end OC category-there's lots of silent PC WC, as well as entry-level. It got that big, in just a few years time.

Not everyone has this limitless cash to spend on watercooling. I have bills to pay-lots of them. Nothing like three different genetic disorders under the same roof. I get what I can afford and work to improve my setup to match the temps you guys get with no limitations. THAT's Xtreme, not this "no mixed metals" bull.

If you'll excuse me, I'm going back to flow diagrams. I'm sure I can beat even the big boys with a few of my ideas.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Mekrel View Post
    It has a use for those who want underperforming but pretty blocks with small bore tubing and a flow meter hooked up to a "pretty LCD" - but I've never wanted the use of Aluminium in any of my high performance loops.
    Ditto. You forgot to include "expensive without the performance" as well.
    MM Extended U2-UFO CYO (Duality front, Standard back, Horizontal Mobo brace) Anodized Black || eVGA X58 || Intel i7 920 || 6 GB Corsair Dominator PC3-12800|| eVGA 295GTX || Asus Xonar Essence STX || VisionTek 650 TV Tuner || 1 300GB WD Velociraptor || 1TB WD's Black Ed. || LG 22X DVD-Writer || Lite-On 20x DVD-Writer || Corsair CMPSU-1000HX PSU

CPU Loop: DDC-2 w/ XSPC Reservoir Top -> Swiftech GTZ -> Thermochill PA120.3 (Push: 3 Scythe S-Flex G)

GPU Loop: DDC-2 w/ XSPC Reservoir Top -> (Koolance VID-NX295 FC block) ->Thermochill PA120.3 (Push: 3 Scythe S-Flex G)

Chipset Loop: DDC-2 w/ XSPC Reservoir Top -> Alphacool Silentstar Dual HD waterblock enclosure -> Bitspower Black Freezer eVGA x58 MOSFET-> Bitspower Black Freezer eVGA x58 NB -> Thermochill PA120.2 (Pull: 2 Scythe S-Flex G)

2 x Dell 2408FPW LCD || Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 || Logitech G9 Mouse || Logitech G15 LCD Keyboard || Logitech Quickcam Ultravision || Sennheiser Headphones

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Kayin View Post
    Do you avoid cars with mixed metals then? If it's been proven in the automotive industry, then I'll run it in my machine.

Stop spreading misinformation. You say you want no compromises, so why stay on water? There's phase out there, submersion cooling, etc-isn't water just a cost compromise? These people target themselves at certain parts of the market. Not all the ones mentioned are even targeting the high-end OC category-there's lots of silent PC WC, as well as entry-level. It got that big, in just a few years time.

Not everyone has this limitless cash to spend on watercooling. I have bills to pay-lots of them. Nothing like three different genetic disorders under the same roof. I get what I can afford and work to improve my setup to match the temps you guys get with no limitations. THAT's Xtreme, not this "no mixed metals" bull.

If you'll excuse me, I'm going back to flow diagrams. I'm sure I can beat even the big boys with a few of my ideas.
    How am I spreading miss information? Show me some C/W curves of Aquacomputer, Zalman etc out performing the current champs on the market from D-TeK and Swiftech and I will listen. The problem is the price doesn't even reflect an inferior product either. The Koolance Lian Li cases are 500 dollars! You could knock up your own V1000 with a custom loop for less and perform better.

So who's throwing money away now heh?

How can water be a cost compromise? Surely running a water loop is more expensive than air just by running another pump on the electricity bill let alone costing more to put together.

Phase is too loud thats why, which is why I watercool. I chose the best components so that I can have low speed fans, but still get great temperatures.

I don't avoid cars with mixed metals, because it's a car and it gets me from A to B and if it has a problem - my company has it back in for repair and I see 0 of the cost.
    Last edited by Mekrel; 05-28-2007 at 12:04 PM.

Unoriginal Macho Energy
    Wait, aluminum and copper together will cause corrosion? Thanks for the information.

*EDITed by IFMU*
    The point to your post would be what exactly? Other than being a nuisance¿
    IFMU

*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*
    GTZ --> MCW-NBMAX --> EK FC --> PA 120.3 --> PA 160.1 --> 2x DDC Ultras in Series --> Custom Clear Res
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."
    *:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*

Quote Originally Posted by ranker View Post
    Did you just get hit in the head with a heavy object? Because obviously you're failing at reading comprehension.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I don't think he is proding fun at anyones country, just saying less talk about it as it's offtopic.

God, you lot should come over to England and drink some of our tea, maybe it will calm you all down

Xtreme Addict
    I know his english isn't exactly perfect, but I think he just means to convey"Stop being off topic we have idiots in every country!"

Xtreme Member

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by IanY View Post
    Who exactly touted their own country?

Yes, you're from a tiny enclave sandwiched between the Ukraine, Czech Republic, Austria, Poland and Hungary. And you are probably from the capital city of Bratislava. Slovenia produces nice water blocks, but you couldn't really claim that for Slovakia, can you? Pity.
    IT IS AGAINST FORUM RULES TO LAUNCH PERSONAL INSULTS. CEASE AND DESIST.
    From now on, the gloves come off.
    Yeah I can
    Just here it is .... ::::::::::::::

These Viscool products was made by my friend(VISCOOL).
    This man is from SLOVAKIA, just like me
    Full review is HERE and HERE
    You can order itHERE
    More info about these cheap and well performing WBs is HERE

So please excuce me this little propagation of my friend's waterblocks company

edited
    *EDITed by IFMU*
    How about we put this bull to rest? Now.

IFMU
    Last edited by SharkerSk; 05-29-2007 at 05:02 AM.
    // E6600@3900~1.5v // Asus P5K DLX //A-DATA 2GB EE // Samsung F1 1TB // ASUS X1900XTX~735/1680 // Corsair HX520 // Thermaltake Armor VA8000SWA // W. COOLING ~ D-Tek FuZion & Viscool V3 GPU & Swiftech MCP655 & 2x Swiftech MCR-320QP //

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Overclockers.com is ancient though, and so are half of those blocks in the table.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mekrel View Post
    Overclockers.com is ancient though, and so are half of those blocks in the table.
    Really
    I don't think so .....
    "Viscool CPU Waterblock"
    http://www.overclockers.com/articles1447/
    Written by Joe Citarella - 5/25/07

"EK Wave (AMD64/P4 S478) Waterblock"
    Joe Citarella - 8/20/06
    Last edited by SharkerSk; 05-28-2007 at 03:49 PM.
    // E6600@3900~1.5v // Asus P5K DLX //A-DATA 2GB EE // Samsung F1 1TB // ASUS X1900XTX~735/1680 // Corsair HX520 // Thermaltake Armor VA8000SWA // W. COOLING ~ D-Tek FuZion & Viscool V3 GPU & Swiftech MCP655 & 2x Swiftech MCR-320QP //

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SharkerSk View Post
    Really
    I don't think so .....
    "Viscool CPU Waterblock"
    http://www.overclockers.com/articles1447/
    Written by Joe Citarella - 5/25/07

"EK Wave (AMD64/P4 S478) Waterblock"
    Joe Citarella - 8/20/06
    and what about half the D-Tek blocks in that table which are no longer in production and the Silverprop blocks which again are no longer in production. TDX and RBX again are old.

Oh oh oh oh Ban me first!!!!

You want a cease and desist order?
    Well here it is.
    Keep this crap up and you won't have to worry about fighting about crap.

IFMU

Now, for anyone who has posted in here, REREAD this thread and my a-loads of edits.

If I see another post in here off topic, you will take a 3 day. I can give a rats patotie whether or not youre the pope himself. You people should know better than this crap and you either will, or you wont have to worry about it again.

Get it?
    Got it?
    Good.

IFMU

Xtreme Addict
    And thats why ladies and gentlemen, AT LEAST use a corrosion-inhibitor. Or, even better. USE 100% copper blocks.

Core i7 920 D0 B-batch (4.1) (Kinda Stable?) | DFI X58 T3eH8 (Fed up with its' issues, may get a new board soon) | Patriot 1600 (9-9-9-24) (for now) | XFX HD 4890 (971/1065) (for now) |
    80GB X25-m G2 | WD 640GB | PCP&C 750 | Dell 2408 LCD | NEC 1970GX LCD | Win7 Pro | CoolerMaster ATCS 840 {Modded to reverse-ATX, WC'ing internal}

CPU Loop: MCP655 > HK 3.0 LT > ST 320 (3x Scythe G's) > ST Res >Pump
    GPU Loop: MCP655 > MCW-60 > PA160 (1x YL D12SH) > ST Res > BIP 220 (2x YL D12SH) >Pump

Engineering The Xtreme
    and why hasnt this been locked yet?

As far as I can tell, Sharker made a silly move to use ALU without any inhibitors, thus he got owned, other than that there is no discussion here, any person who knows how to read (these forums), knows of galvanic corrosion and takes steps to avoid it.

*Please* either delete or lock and bury, the only thing this is doing is scaring people away from watercooling.

I disagree.
    Obviouslly there are at least a few people here who do not know that mixing the metals can cause problems.
    So bury it? No thanks, while there are quite a few posts here that should be deleted, and I prolly will later, there is some good info in here for the ignorant.

Xtreme Cruncher
    wow its funny to read all the IFMU warnings and ppl just like nothing....

alu+cooper = corrosion if you dont use something to prevent it in fact just use all alu or all cooper and stop worrying about it....

and for the rest of the guys wrap in newspaper and see if you mature faster
    Incoming new computer after 5 long years

YOU want to FIGHT CANCER OR AIDS join us at WCG and help to have a better FUTURE

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by IFMU View Post
    I disagree.
    Obviouslly there are at least a few people here who do not know that mixing the metals can cause problems.
    So bury it? No thanks, while there are quite a few posts here that should be deleted, and I prolly will later, there is some good info in here for the ignorant.
    My sentiments exactly. This will educate people and hopefully wake up those manufacturers that continue to use aluminum without taking the necessary steps to ensure corrosion does not occur.

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by IFMU View Post
    I disagree.
    i was actually going to say the same thing. I needed a valid link to point noobies out on what happens when they mix metals.

This is the perfect thread minus the conflict that arose.

But seriously... ouch... sharka your damage is nothing compared to my cousins. You should of seen what happens when you mix reserator + TDX.

Its called a big puddle next to the reserator, and all your eq frying.

Xtreme Enthusiast

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    i was actually going to say the same thing. I needed a valid link to point noobies out on what happens when they mix metals.

This is the perfect thread. . .

From a noobs perspective, I actually enjoyed reading this thread (minus all the bs of course) to learn a little more and to hear from others experiences. I was planning on purchasing the Apogee GTX 1. because it was recommended in the guide by maxx, 2. I wanted to match the GPU block figuring that using the same company's parts would be wise, and 3. It just looks sexy as hell! But, I was never planning on using any form of anti-corrosive like Zerex or other forms as I have a 3,5 month old baby boy and 2 cats and a wife who would kill me twice over if anything happened to them especially because of the computer .
    I have just re-read Maxx's Water Cooling Guide: The basics. . . again and realized the parts that I skimmed over were a little more important than I thought. "With that said, for those who do NOT plan to run mixed metals, a good biocide (kills organic life) would be optimum, as no corrosion inhibitor is needed." Since I don't want to take any risks at all with human/animal life (computer on the other hand is replacable), my choice is very simple and for me it is to run all copper with distilled water. So now my CPU block will either be the GT or the Fuzion as I plan on running only one loop with no zerex. . .
    Thanks for the info.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast