Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Warning !!! Don't Buy Aluminium Waterblocks

Xtreme Enthusiast
    OK, now I'm confused. Here I am with my finger on the trigger of a CPU block purchase(literally), and you show me stuff like this? Can someone just alleviate any fears that I may have with buying an Apogee GTX? Reading this thread mixed with this one:http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=145609
    makes me wonder if I've made the right choice. Before I click the mouse button, is the GTX safe to use, or should I just *step* down to the GT?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by LogAn'sRun View Post
    Before I click the mouse button, is the GTX safe to use, or should I just *step* down to the GT?
    As long as your not mixing Aluminium water blocks with copper water blocks you should have no problems.

Asus Z9PE-D8 WS with 64GB of registered ECC ram.|Dell 30" LCD 3008wfp:7970 video card

LSI series raid controller
    SSDs: Crucial C300 256GB
    Standard drives: Seagate ST32000641AS & WD 1TB black
    OSes: Linux and Windows x64

Xtreme Batrachian
    OK, now I'm confused. Here I am with my finger on the trigger of a CPU block purchase(literally), and you show me stuff like this? Can someone just alleviate any fears that I may have with buying an Apogee GTX? Reading this thread mixed with this one:http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=145609
    makes me wonder if I've made the right choice. Before I click the mouse button, is the GTX safe to use, or should I just *step* down to the GT?
    I doubt Swiftech would release a block that is not up to standards.

If there's something you can't possibly fault is their craftmanship.

Besides, there's not yet any thread labelled "Apogee GTX sux!", and people in these forums are pretty much as extreme as it gets.

Xtreme Addict
    That's a failure of anodization and a failure to use anticorrosives in a loop knowingly containing aluminum. This failure was your fault.

If you want to see an aluminum waterblock in a mixed metal loop that's still fine, when I break this system next I'll tear apart mine and show you. Hell, the stainless in mine goes before the aluminum does. IF you take proper precautions, these things don't happen.

And if you're so worried about what a little bit of anticorrosive does to your temps, hell, run ammonia. Better temps all around.

*EDITed by IFMU*
    While the info was, well, informative, how about being a bit less rude next time.

Thanks

IFMU

Xtreme Batrachian
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Kayin View Post
    hell, run ammonia. Better temps all around.
    LOL!. Ammonia will nyam nyam through the loop big time.

Mind you, galvanic corrosion won't be an issue.

Mainly because the tubing and most likely the impeller assembly will just disintegrate.

Afterwards you will spend some time coughing blood and the computer (or lack of it) will be the least of your concerns.

Overall a great improvement ^^;

Xtreme Addict
    Never said it was safer. But it is more thermally capacitive than water all around. I mean, this is XtremeSystems, right? Don't we want everything we can get? What's a lung for performance? *sarcasm is wearing thin even for me...*

For every pic like that you post, I can show you tens or hundreds of blocks that didn't do that. There come a point in time where you have to recognize 1. It's a chance, 2. It's not a good chance, 3. I can do things to prevent it, 4. This is a rare occurrence. He admitted he ran no anticorrosive. I'm sorry that you're that dim. That sucks for you, but it doesn't mean that everyone's stuff will do that. In fact, most people's dont.

My old Koolance's biggest problem was algae. That was it. Once I learned about bleach, I was fine. I ran freaking bleach water in an aluminum radiator and three years later when I got rid of it it was still going fine.

I'm sorry that this happened. But, quit running around saying that it will happen to any aluminum. That's FUD, no science. Quit the drama already.

*EDITed by IFMU*
    While again, informative and overall a decent post. Minus this,
    I'm sorry that you're that dim
    Yes, I am in a bad mood and sick of seeing people bash even slightly, it will come to an end.

IFMU

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by IanY View Post
    Listen. Swiftech is not stupid. They are an American company.

There are quite a few lawyers in this forum. Can you say product liability class action?

That's your assurance. My GTX loop has had nothing happen so far.
    Gee, blanket statements. And insinuations that other countries are stupid. Good going can't wait to leave this country. And then there's going to be the obligatory, "good, can't wait for you to leave" statement coming up

*EDITed by IFMU*
    While I can see that this may well be taken that way, I do believe he meant that the way it was written.
    Living in america makes a company very easy to sue for some pamby mamby crap. So it is doubtful they would actually want this outcome.

IFMU
    E8400 8x500=4000 | ABIT IP35-E
    2x2GB Tracer PC2-6400 1:1 500MHz 5-5-5-15 2.0V
    Galaxy 8800GT 800/2000/1100 1.3V | 80GB X25-M G2 + 1.5TB 7200.11 | XFiXG
    Fuzion | MCW60 | DDC2+Petra | Coolrad22T+BIP1

Merom 13x133=1733 1MB L2 0.950V

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by ziddey View Post
    Gee, blanket statements. And insinuations that other countries are stupid. statement coming up
    wow, i was about to say the same thing

Yes. This is America and I believe that American companies are astute. Did I comment about other countries ?

Yes, you insuinated that only american companys are smart enough to do some R&D.

My Free-DC Stats
    You use IRC and Crunch in Xs WCG team? Join #xs.wcg @ Quakenet

Xtreme Addict
    edit: guess I mentioned that before. thought you were kgb for a second

Xtreme Addict
    Funny, the statement made perfect sense to me. The reference was a bit broken, but he is clearly talking about the fact that Swifty isn't gonna make a product that is instant legal buttrape. (as the above posted block may be...)

*EDITed by IFMU*
    Well put, thank you for clarifying.

IFMU

The Blue Dolphin
    Yes. This is America and I believe that American companies are astute. Did I comment about other countries ?
    Like in any other country a lot of idiots live in the US. Some of those idiots own companies or are employed to perform important tasks for companies (R&D for example). And yes, in some markets weak companies can survive, because there isn't enough competition.

Al + Cu = nomatter what liquid you use or how you cote the Al.
    Blue Dolphin Reviews & Guides

Blue Reviews:
    Gigabyte G-Power PRO CPU cooler
    Vantec Nexstar 3.5" external HDD enclosure
    Gigabyte Poseidon 310 case

Blue Guides:
    Fixing a GFX BIOS checksum yourself

98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.

Xtreme Addict
    hey, alexio hit the nail on the head. America is the breeding ground for idiots. There's still good like swiftech and others, but everyday, you'll still find yourself surrounded by idiots. and if not that, you get hicks. hippies. oh man. and of course, in some places, you get hippy hicks. goodie!!!

Xtreme Cruncher

I can't help that you guys suffer from an immense, twisted inferiority complex.

i cant help but think you've got 85 star spangled banners waving about outside your house / on your car and that you feel america is the pinacle of any civilisations.

Basically, a chap has had a bad experience with an alu block and feels no one should ever use them and by R&D i mean that any company will do some to make sure that if used correctly i.e. with the correct water addatives to stop corrosion that this kind of thing will not happen, which, he hasn't.

*EDITed by IFMU*
    How about we put this bull to rest? Now.

IFMU

My Free-DC Stats
    You use IRC and Crunch in Xs WCG team? Join #xs.wcg @ Quakenet

Xtreme Addict
    You know what, if we wanna disprove this, I'm willing to offer my loop. I'll run aluminum components and wait for my system to die. Granted, i do get anticorrosive.

Oh wait, I'm doing it. I've got the chemistry know-how to make a polyoxmethylene substitute from stuff off the shelf at Hobby Lobby, and I'm still running it. Granted, that loop is filled with PC Ice. Superior lubrication properties for pumps and good anticorrosive properties...

There's a reason that Innovatek will not warranty anything that did not use InnovaProtect fluid-cause they are aware of the AL nobility issue, and they have created a product to cope. Same with AC. These companies know about the issues and have made additives that address this issue.

Xtreme Member
    GREEN OATMEAL! that stuff is actually disgusting looking

i no longer use a laptop.

Do You Owe Me Heatware??

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by safan80 View Post
    As long as your not mixing Aluminium water blocks with copper water blocks you should have no problems.
    does that mean if I went with the MCW60 I would have problems? Or is is so simple as to use a little anticorrussive and badda boom badda bing no problem?
    Or should I choose another GPU block that fits n-series 7 now with upgrade to NS 8 in the future if I want to run the GTX? Sorry to be so noob and hijack the thread, but we are talking about aluminum (like in the title) and not how america is superior/inferior. . .

Xtreme Member
    hey, alexio hit the nail on the head. America is the breeding ground for idiots. There's still good like swiftech and others, but everyday, you'll still find yourself surrounded by idiots. and if not that, you get hicks. hippies. oh man. and of course, in some places, you get hippy hicks. goodie!!!
    Boy, I guess you really like offending people don't you, just where the heck do you get off putting labels on peope like "HICKS and HIPPY HICKS, just because someone lives out in the country and lives a simple live, doesn't give you the right to start calling them aHICK or HIPPY HICK.
    Seeing as you live in NY, I guess I could label you a big city :banana::banana::banana: or Peter Puffer, if the shoe fits I guess.

*EDITed by IFMU*

IFMU
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."........Albert Einstein

Mountain Mods U2 UFO Chassis / ASUS P6T / Intel Core i7 920 / G.Skill Pi-Black DDR3-1600 6 GB / Sapphire HD4870 Toxic / WD Black 500 gig / Lite-On Optic Drives / SilverStone 700w.

Cooling: CPU Loop: Thermochill PA120.3 Radiator / Swiftech MCP655 Pump / XSPC Delta V3 / "T" Line

GPU Loop: Swiftech MCR120 / Swiftech MCP350 Pump / XSPC Razor / Swiftech Micro Rez.

Xtreme Batrachian
    does that mean if I went with the MCW60 I would have problems? Or is is so simple as to use a little anticorrussive and badda boom badda bing no problem?
    Or should I choose another GPU block that fits n-series 7 now with upgrade to NS 8 in the future if I want to run the GTX? Sorry to be so noob and hijack the thread, but we are talking about aluminum (like in the title) and not how america is superior/inferior. . .
    This is quoted directly from the product sheet of the Apogee GTX:

Quote Originally Posted by Apogee GTX
    The housing is CNC machined out of billet aluminum and receives two plating's for a lifetime protection against corrosion: electroless nickel plating (MIL-C-26074E grade B) and Zinc Cobalt plating (ASTM B 840-99 grade 6). A black die is applied after plating strictly for cosmetic appeal.
    As I stated before, if there's something you can't fault Swiftech for is craftmanship. These people know their onions.

If you don't deliberately scratch the plating, you won't get any galvanic corrosion.

Xtreme Member
    sbrehm72255,

Don't worry about it, dude. Ithaca, NY is in the stigs, if there were anything resembling hick-ville. Its a college town, and apart from a college, it might as well be the jungle in Laos. Talk about hippies, upstate NY has the biggest congregation of hippies anywhere.

This is clearly a European attending college in America and who finds it fit to ridicule Americans. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.
    People like that just really piss me off and bring out the worst in me................ They just make me want to ripoff their heads and crap in their necks.
    Attitudes like that about Americans is the main reason I moved out of Germany to the US, to get away from closed mined fools like that.

*EDITed by IFMU*

IFMU
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."........Albert Einstein

Mountain Mods U2 UFO Chassis / ASUS P6T / Intel Core i7 920 / G.Skill Pi-Black DDR3-1600 6 GB / Sapphire HD4870 Toxic / WD Black 500 gig / Lite-On Optic Drives / SilverStone 700w.

Cooling: CPU Loop: Thermochill PA120.3 Radiator / Swiftech MCP655 Pump / XSPC Delta V3 / "T" Line

GPU Loop: Swiftech MCR120 / Swiftech MCP350 Pump / XSPC Razor / Swiftech Micro Rez.

Banned
    Been using Koolance Rads for a few years. These are made of Alu. We use them with copper water blocks. I have sold 68 systems using koolance. I change the koolance fluids 1 a year is these systems. Not once have I found any . ANY! form of corrusion.

You can find all kinds od corrosion stories in systems that use copper only. Were did that corrosion come from.

I believe some people have had issues with mixing copper and Alu. But its way over played by people in the forums who seem to be pushing or selling other parts.

Xtreme Cruncher
    My GTX loop has had nothing happen so far.
    +1

Running an Apogee GTX in a backup machines loop, no issues at all.

Charles Barkley

"Poor People have been voting for Democrats for the last 50 years ... and they are still poor."

Xtreme Enthusiast
    MrToad,
    thanks for the reply, I figured as much but it always helps to have someone give that extra push!
    I'll be placing that order when I get home, and man I can't wait to begin to WC!!!! woOt

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Hard H20 View Post
    +1

Running an Apogee GTX in a backup machines loop, no issues at all.
    Well the GTX has a nickel plating over it...
    This guy's block I think didn't even have anodization.
    Sure you can put additives in to inhibit corrosion but why do that when you must compromise on performance?
    Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - Core i5 2410m, 4gb
    waiting on 28nm video cards...

Xtreme Member

Do some traveling, you'll learn that every country on the planet has its fair share of idiots.

*EDITed by IFMU*

IFMU
    EVGA 680i
    X6800 @ 3.8ghz on water
    2gb Corsair Dominator 1250
    EVGA 8800GTX w/ EK water block

Xtreme Enthusiast
    As stated, you will be fine if you use a strong anti-corrosion inhibator in your coolant. However this isn't as good as running pure water which you can do in a full copper loop.

Also aluminium sucks if being used as the base of the block or in a radiator - copper performs better.

ApogeeGTX will be fine, it's plated - I'm putting one in my loop with just water and biocide and I never usually put anything but copper, nickel plated brass and plastic in my loops.

If it ain't watercooled, I don't wanna know.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast