Thread: best way to sleeve atx

best way to sleeve atx

What is the best way to sleeve an 24pin atx cable? I've never done it before so I wanted to know the best tools to use, best way to not confuse wires putting it back together and most effective way to heat shrinkwrap.

Also I have an enermax 1000watt that already has some ugly sleeving, can I just sleeve over the top or should I strip it first?

any help appreciated
    thanks

atm im working on making my own sleeveing outa auto cable so it's gona be copper sleeving. best way to do it in my opinion would be to try fit the 24 pin conector through the sleeveing without pulling it apart if thats not and option be sure to label every wire b4 you cut. then get a soldering iron and solder the suckers back together then shrink with a heat gun. i lighter will do but that can cause problembs

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fps4life View Post
    atm im working on making my own sleeveing outa auto cable so it's gona be copper sleeving. best way to do it in my opinion would be to try fit the 24 pin conector through the sleeveing without pulling it apart if thats not and option be sure to label every wire b4 you cut. then get a soldering iron and solder the suckers back together then shrink with a heat gun. i lighter will do but that can cause problembs
    ...or you can just pop the pins out of the connector no cutting and soldeing needed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashraf View Post
    Listening to computer fans running FTW!

The best way is to get a tool or makeshift tool and remove all of the pins. Use masking tape or something similar to label the wires as you map them out.

If you try to push the connector through without removing the wires, you're going to need much thicker sleeving, not to mention heatshrink that might not shrink down enough.

easy half/ass way = sleeve over plug
    slightly difficult but best way that may require a replacement pin or two and some soldering if you f-it up: remove pins and then sleeve.

There are different intermediate solutions depending on the desired result, but there's no reason to go into that unless you ask.