Thread: Short Lived....

Short Lived....

Well guys. After running WCG BOINC for about 6-7Hours @ 100%.. The 2nd core of the 2nd CPU hit 70C and threw an alarm. I called the manufacturer and they said that is normal. I told them that 67C was max surface temp for an Intel Xeon 5050, and they told me they won't burn up until 80C... I said giving a max thermal temp and 13C between the Max and Nuclear isn't stupid, it stops damage before it happens. At idle my temps are 34C 33C 37C 50C. After I told him that I said it sounds like an IHS problem and he agreed, and is sending out another processer via ground. So, I won't be running BOINC for WCG until late next week. Sorry guys.

Join XS WCG or \/ !!
    Stuff happens Just don't forget us by the end of next week K!

Got an Xtreme System? Bring it here! <----

Xtreme Cruncher
    Sorry to hear that Nightcreeper - did you try re-seating the HS on the 2nd CPU?
    DC Prostitute - Crunching In Memory of My Dad

Xtreme Cruncher
    WCG is pretty stressfull. With he summer approaching, if the PC cannot handle 100&#37; load 24/7, there may be a number of options:

1) if you are using BOINC version 5.8.x, you can set the %of CPU usage in the cruncher profile on wcg website. Try 75% for a start. Boinc would then run for 3 seconds and idle for one. The effect on the temperature would be quite noticable.

2) If the CPU is OCed, take the foot off the gas a bit. educing he Vcore a bit has a significant effect (more than the reduction of the CPU frequency).

3) Limit the time BOINC is running to the period between 9 PM and 9 AM. Specifiy this settings in the wcg host profile as well. This avoids running in the hot hours of the day.

Crunching at 75%, or at stock speeds or for 12 hours a day, or any combinations of these would still be of great value to the science and beets not crunching at all.

Suggest try the above solutions in that order. In all cases, I agree with you. Keep the temps under control. The safety of the equipment is paramount.
    Dual Clovertown @ 3.2 GHz (stock Vcore), 4x1GB 667 FB-DIMMS, SM X7DAE, Silencer 610 PSU, Windows server 2K3 EE.
    (professionally built & generously hosted by movieman)

AMD64 X2 4400+ @237x11 (1.39v), Corsair TwinX2048-3500LL @2.5-3-2-6-1T (2.75V), MSI K8N Neo4, Tagan 420W PSU, Windows XP Pro SP2.

sleepin is overrated
    i always try to do my overclocks with a higher base ambient temp (30+ degrees) so when summer comes around there are not causes for worrie and i can just work on with out any down time.

We never get 30+ deg summers sadly

I think DDTung will agree with me on this one

Xtreme Cruncher
    << Long time no post.
    We had a few hot days a while back so I reset back to stock and undervolted. Then there were some cold days (you know, frost) and the temp hasn't gone up too much. (Damn this MN weather) So yes, lower the voltages wherever possible to get better temps.

O/T: Does anyone know why XSTM's output has been so low? It's like, WTF guys?

I'm almost always available on Steam to chat. Same username.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightcreeper View Post
    Well guys. After running WCG BOINC for about 6-7Hours @ 100%.. The 2nd core of the 2nd CPU hit 70C and threw an alarm. I called the manufacturer and they said that is normal. I told them that 67C was max surface temp for an Intel Xeon 5050, and they told me they won't burn up until 80C... I said giving a max thermal temp and 13C between the Max and Nuclear isn't stupid, it stops damage before it happens. At idle my temps are 34C 33C 37C 50C. After I told him that I said it sounds like an IHS problem and he agreed, and is sending out another processer via ground. So, I won't be running BOINC for WCG until late next week. Sorry guys.
    Just saw your sig and now I know why your having heat issues: Bensleys!
    The last of the netburst.
    I have a solution for you, cost of $100.00..PM me if interested.
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Live Long And Overclock
    This guy needs some water !! STAT !!! 0_0

Perkam