Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011

Thread: Easy Mod For Ultra-120 eXtreme

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by JCGhz View Post
    This mount sucks... I cant believe this thing has been on the market so long and they still have ty mounting HW

I had mine lapped by Crazy PC and I lapped my 8600 myself so I expected some movement but i added a small penny size washer and cant even put a fan on it without it moving.

The box the mounting accessories came has a QC PASS stamp on it dated 6-13-03

I guess ill try a thicker larger diameter washer.. I shouldve done some reading before ordering this ing thing.
    It's a good cooler but you need to do some work before you get good results. IMO that's not acceptable as the cooler is so expensive. You can get coolers with better mounting and performance out of the box.
    [i5 2500K, ASrock extreme3 gen3, Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB 1600MHz, Palit GTX570 Sonic Platinum, CM HAF932, Antec Truepower New 650w]

Quote Originally Posted by Nazu View Post
    It's a good cooler but you need to do some work before you get good results. IMO that's not acceptable as the cooler is so expensive. You can get coolers with better mounting and performance out of the box.
    I agree.. but i added a thin neoprene washer glued to a fender washer and its glued to the mounting bracket.. it wont budge now and i was able to put both 110CFM fans for push pull config. I think it was worth it. My Idle temps are in the high 20's and load high 30's

Can only recommend this to people with lots of free time.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Maybe they should put "For eXtreme users only" on the box

It may take some work to get the most out of it, but out of the box it gave me about a 5 degree advantage over my 9700. It's not that bad out of the box.

Xtreme Member
    its been painful reading this thread

washer mod for the backplate works really well.
    also, X plate is better then the multiplate.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ThugsRook View Post
    its been painful reading this thread

washer mod for the backplate works really well.
    also, X plate is better then the multiplate.

QFT, a NH-U12P seems very interesting now, much less messing around.

EDIT: Bonus question, NH-U12P or TRUE for silent computing?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I would say the Noctua. I think they have wider fin spacing, which is better for lower CFM fans.

Xtreme Addict
    Im using a 3mm or so i think, how thick of a washer is safe to use?

Instead of the washer mod i suggest getting some grommets and doing the grommet mod instead. The pressure is more evenly distributed this way.

| Q6600@ 3.6ghz | EP45-UD3P | GTX 260 | 2x2gb Mushkin Red Line | T.R.U.E | A900 Case |

Xtreme Addict
    The cross mount it self has a little screw in the middle that forces pressure in it so having a grommet mount over a washer mod wont make it any better.

Xtreme Mentor
    I replaced my psu today. In the process I figured that I might as well throw a couple of washers under the cross bracket on my TRUE as Ace sugested. Before I unscrewed the bracket I saw that the heatsink was twisting with little to no force. I cleaned up the MX-2 that I had on there and threw in some AS5 and mounted the TRUE with 2 1/4" washers taped together with electrical tape. It pulled down my temps by 2-3 degrees and hopefully a couple more when the AS5 breaks in. This mod works wonders and is a must for the stock bracket.
    Thanks guys.

Xtreme Member
    I also picked up a couple degrees using the washer mod on my TRU, the thing barely rotates at all now.

Xtreme Member
    Tried this mod with 1 then 2 plastic washers, but seems better without washers.

Guys, will there be any problem if I spray my TRUE. I'm planning to spray it to black color something like TRUE black edition. Will it affect the cooling capabilities?? Will there be any drawbacks?

Xtreme Member
    Yes, you will have problems. You do not want to paint your TRUE, the spray paint will act as an insulator and it will increase your temperatures.

Thanks for the advice, sorry for my late reply. Guess there's no way for me to see my TRUE in black other than buy the black TRUE itself.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011