Thread: iPod sex toy arouses Apple's ire

iPod sex toy arouses Apple's ire

source here

A vibrating sex toy accessory for the iPod appears to have got Apple's legal team all hot and bothered.

Adult store Ann Summers, seller of the "iGasm", told the British tabloid News of the World that Apple's legal team had threatened it with legal action over its advertising posters.

"Go at it hard and fast with a pounding drum and bass track or chill with the ambient classic," reads a marketing brief for the £30 ($72) iGasm, which plugs into any music player and vibrates in sync with the beat.

Apple says the iGasm ads, which show a female silhouette listening to an iPod with a cord snaking into her underwear, are a rip-off of its own iPod ads.

"We hope this request to remove it [the ads] immediately will prevent us having to consider further action," News of the World quoted a legal letter sent by Apple's lawyers as saying.

Apple refused to comment on the issue and Ann Summers did not respond to comment requests.

But it's not the first time Apple has had a run-in with iPod sex toy makers - in November last year it was reported that Apple scuttled a Japanese company's attempts to bring to market a device called gPod.

Apple said the gPod, which has features similar to the iGasm, infringed on its "pod" trademarks.

At least two other companies, both American, sell vibrating iPod sex toys - iBuzz and OhMiBod.

Advertising on the iBuzz website is similar to that used for iGasm, but the company behind the device, Love Labs, did not respond to requests asking if Apple had threatened it with legal action as well.

Suki, founder of OhMiBod, worked at Apple for 8 years and said in an email interview that, since starting her new company, she has tried to steer clear of Apple's trademarks.

"Some companies [like the ones being sued by Apple] think that the PR generated by this is funny or can drive sales," she said.

"We are happy to ride the coattails of the iPods success [like many other iPod accessory companies] but do not feel that negative PR for Apple brings us anything but 'badwill'."

OhMiBod has an Australian online store where it sells its vibrating toy for $119.

Justin Lewis, the owner of the Australian store, said he had sold over 2000 units since the product launched here in November last year.

But devices that translate iPod music into vibrations aren't the only high-tech sex toys around.

Internet-connected sex devices, part of a field called "teledildonics", are personalising cyber sex as they can be controlled remotely via a computer.

Teledildonics is a growing market in the US but it is yet to make a splash in Australia.

Xtreme Addict
    Funny that they are only contesting advertising rights.

i5 750 @ 3.2 Ghz, stock volts on stock cooling
    4GB G.Skill DDR3-1600 7-7-7-21
    Gigabyte P55-DS2
    EVGA GTX260 192shader

YouTube Addict
    $5 says there will probably be an Ipod accessory called iGotlaid
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nn_step View Post
    lmao

Xtreme Mentor
    HAHA Nice one made me spill me drink now
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Sex always sells, if I was Apple I would sell a multitude of sex toys for the ipod.
    DistroWatch - find your flavor of Linux
    Petra's Tech Shop - for all your watercooling needs

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by AzraelDarkangel View Post
    Sex always sells, if I was Apple I would sell a multitude of sex toys for the ipod.
    some how I think it is kinda hard to keep a "family friendly" image and sell sex toys...
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Xtreme Cruncher
    Teledildonics is a growing market in the US but it is yet to make a splash in Australia.
    LOL @ TELEDILDONICS
    Quote Originally Posted by amscott
    my freind is a proud owneer of an xbox 360. from wat he has told me, microsoft has secret built in devices that only are in the xbox and cannot be recreated. for instance he told me taht there is this little divise that is in the xbox 360 taht u cannot take out which if u play online and microsoft catches you hacking with this special chip thing that changes somthing in the games, microsoft will basicly sent a EMP pulse to your game system and fry it. :O because of these little part in the system, it is very difficult if not impossoble to modify the xbox with other parts because of the compatibility of the processor and (dashboard).

Ha, ha... that's a really good one!
    Last edited by Dumitru Ivanov; 07-02-2021 at 04:40 AM.