Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Countdown at Blizzard; StarCraft 2 Officially Announced!

Xtreme X.I.P.
    awfull... awfulll... i barely recognize the units... the only thing i can def recognize is the sound effects... man this is the biggest disappointment in years. how could blizzard sell out the rights and let some idiots create this game and then call it star craft2?

Xtreme Addict
    Heh... and to think the naysayers in the gaming forum here doubted me when I told them months ago that Starcraft II was almost done and the upcoming game there were rumors about was definitely not Diablo 3 or "Starcraft Ghost".

My buddy @ Blizzard has been making me keep my mouth shut on this for over a year now.

This game will be DX10 and on the highest quality settings have the capability of raping even the fastest computers out "right now". Those videos are not made using all the effects and highest details because the engine is not fully smoothed out yet and they didn't want to release a video without it being super smooth. Destroyed objects will stay on screen longer as will other debris and this video shows not even close to how huge the armies can be when assaulting the other team.

Blizzard is shooting for a December 2007 release date but as you all know in the gaming industry.... $hit happens.

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government"
    -- Alexander Hamilton

Last edited by henrys; 05-19-2007 at 12:51 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Isn't that warhammer or some such?

i5 750 @ 3.2 Ghz, stock volts on stock cooling
    4GB G.Skill DDR3-1600 7-7-7-21
    Gigabyte P55-DS2
    EVGA GTX260 192shader

Xtreme Enthusiast
    the graphics are already starting to grow on me... the custom maps will make/break it for me.
    Rig:
    Pentium D 805 3.8 GHz and counting, w/Big Typhoon (hopefully E6600 at christmas)
    eVga 7900GT KO Reload, 508/1525 stock volts
    MOBO SWITCH! P5B deluxe
    2 GB Patriot ddr2-667 4-4-4-12
    Antec NeoHE 550
    250GB Seagate 7200.10
    Thermaltake Soprano w/2xAspire 120mm and 1xThermaltake 90mm
    Dell 19'' LCD monitor
    Heat

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    nooooooOOOOOooOOoOOOooOooOoo they ruined it
    why???? they changed the artwork, they changed the units, they changed the whole gameplay.... why??? i was so looking forward to sc2...
    I do admit the 3d that they added did not actually help. they took starcraft 1 and made it into a lame 3d that looks like something using 2003 tech.

They're still working on the terran and zerg races so I think they will improve it all before game is released.

Anybody notice the ubiquitous presence of those long-legged spider-like walking creatures that shoot lasers? we got the striders in HL2, darkwalkers in UT3, those tripod aliens in the movie War of the worlds, and now the protoss in SC2 has the Colossus.

Xtreme Addict
    nooooooOOOOOooOOoOOOooOooOoo they ruined it
    why???? they changed the artwork, they changed the units, they changed the whole gameplay.... why??? i was so looking forward to sc2...
    Sorry Saaya, but what were you expecting?
    IMO, it could've been much worse (like WC3......) Also, some units are still very
    easily recognisable.

Here's a link to 21-min (huge file, 183MB IIRC) ingame footage shown at the
    announcement. Doesn't look so bad in here:
    http://www.hardwired.hu/bigdl/3/10/S...i_gameplay.avi

Protos units got some nice abilities, nice that the weapons and tactics are not
    universal (like marines are better against Immortals and Warp Rays than tanks
    or Battlecruisers), I'm just sad that my favourite unit, the Siege Tank, got so
    weak
    Usual suspects: i5-750 & H212+ | Biostar T5XE CFX-SLI | 4GB RAndoM | 4850 + AC S1 + 120@5V + modded stock for VRAM/VRM | Seasonic S12-600 | 7200.12 | P180 | U2311H & S2253BW | MX518
    mITX media & to-be-server machine: A330ION | Seasonic SFX | WD600BEVS boot & WD15EARS data
    Laptops: Lifebook T4215 tablet, Vaio TX3XP
    Bike: ZX6R

Xtreme Addict
    Oh the Monkeylord in Supreme Commander!

i5 750 @ 3.2 Ghz, stock volts on stock cooling
    4GB G.Skill DDR3-1600 7-7-7-21
    Gigabyte P55-DS2
    EVGA GTX260 192shader

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by henrys View Post
    That's the graphics of a 2 years old game called Warhammer 40k: Dawn Of War, and what the two deamons are performing is called a sync-kill (DoW exclusive cinematic kill)...

Best Regards
    Silverstone RAVEN RV02|
    Core i5 2500K@4.4GHz, 1,300V|
    Corsair A70|ASUS P67 Sabertooth|Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty|
    Corsair Dominator DDR1600 4x4096MB@DDR3-1600@1.65V|Sapphire HD7970 3GB 1075/1475MHz|
    Corsair Force F120 120GB SSD SATA-II, WD Caviar Black 2x1TB SATA-II 32mb, Hitatchi 320GB SATA-II 16mb|Silverstone DA750 750w PSU|

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Speederlander View Post
    Gameplay > flashy graphics always. Starcraft was and is always about gameplay.

D2 had subpar graphics and yet it was possibly one of the best games yet made for the PC, even today D2 is fun to play and remains a consistent good seller.

Gameplay keeps getting lost behind bling these days.
    They could have made the game look good an still not be overly demanding. The out of scale units look pathetic, why bother making a 3d rts if you are going to copy the flaws of an old 2d game. The gameplay looks outdated as well, I don't want to play a 10 year old RTS missing a decade of features on cramped maps even if it is well balanced. Its a shame blizzard decided to kowtow to gamers who are afraid of anything new or original.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I've been waiting for this for so long

Heatware | Abit IP35 Pro | Intel E6750@3.8Ghz 1.56v | Storm R2 | Ballistix DDR2-8500 | Sapphire HD3870 512MB@TBA | MCW60 | WD Raptor 74GB | WD2500KS | OCZ GameXSteam 600w | SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS | DT770/80Pro | WinTV PVR-250 | Antec P180 | 7 Yate Loon D12SL-12 | AQ50Z | PA120.2 Custom Painted | BIP GTS 120mm | MasterKleer 7/16 Tubing | VX924 | G15 Keyboard/G5 Mouse/Steelpad QCK+

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by lizardmech View Post
    They could have made the game look good an still not be overly demanding. The out of scale units look pathetic, why bother making a 3d rts if you are going to copy the flaws of an old 2d game. The gameplay looks outdated as well, I don't want to play a 10 year old RTS missing a decade of features on cramped maps even if it is well balanced. Its a shame blizzard decided to kowtow to gamers who are afraid of anything new or original.
    Gameplay looks out dated? Missing a decade of features? Mind explaining this radically new gameplay and feature set that I seem to not understand? Cramped maps? What do you expect? Battlefield 2, RTS style? I'm sorry you don't like the fact that blizzard didn't want to ruin their most famed game for millions of fanatic fans so they could appeal to the casual gamer like you who knows nothing about the online/competitive community they cater to for years after release.
    Phenom II 940 BE / ASUS M4A79 / HD5770 Crossfire
    3770mhz CPU 2600mhz NB | DDR1040 5-5-5-15 | 900/1250

I am Xtreme
    The one thing I really liked from watching some of the gameplay videos is the auto-scroll. It looked like it was following the units around That is something that looks quite useful.

StarCraft 2 sells more hardware than Vista

Xtreme Cruncher
    guys look what happened to c&c3 it's good but not what i hoped. but after playing supreme commander nothing seems good RTS wise. i don't think this will top sup com. only sup com 2 can top it i will definitely get this however as it looks to have some potential awesome fun! but chris taylor is the king of RTS games
    CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K @ 4.5GHz
    Mobo: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    RAM: 32GB (8x4GB) Patriot Viper EX @ 1866mhz
    GPU: EVGA GTX Titan (1087Boost/6700Mem)
    Physx: Evga GTX 560 2GB
    Sound: Creative XFI Titanium
    Case: Modded 700D
    PSU: Corsair 1200AX (Fully Sleeved)
    Storage: 2x120GB OCZ Vertex 3's in RAID 0 + WD 600GB V-Raptor + Seagate 1TB
    Cooling: XSPC Raystorm, 2x MCP 655's, FrozenQ Warp Drive, EX360+MCR240+EX120 Rad's

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank M View Post
    Protos units got some nice abilities, nice that the weapons and tactics are not
    universal (like marines are better against Immortals and Warp Rays than tanks
    or Battlecruisers), I'm just sad that my favourite unit, the Siege Tank, got so
    weak
    siege tank is going to be weaker in sc2 .i sense a disturbance in the balanced gameplay.
    Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650
    Gigabyte ep45-ud3lr
    Sapphire HD6970
    Team Xtreem 2*1gb 1300
    1TB Western Digital

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    This game will easily scratch the itch I've had since playing Broodwars SupCom is great as I love commanding hundreds of units, Company of Heroes is great as I love being Rambo with a single unit, StarCraft 2 will be great as I'll get to command a couple dozen units and have a field day. This will be the reason why I upgrade to DX10.

Xtreme Member
    awfull... awfulll... i barely recognize the units... the only thing i can def recognize is the sound effects... man this is the biggest disappointment in years. how could blizzard sell out the rights and let some idiots create this game and then call it star craft2?
    ...so what did you want? A new starcraft campaign on the same 1998 engine? Look at project revolution mod for WCIII and tell me what you think; like which units you like better.

Xtreme Member
    man that graphics looks awesome.. hope the game releases on time

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by RAMMAN View Post
    siege tank is going to be weaker in sc2 .i sense a disturbance in the balanced gameplay.
    the protoss dragoons are gone since the shrine is on their homeworld and they can't make them anymore. So there are new types of "dragoons" which have energy shields that activate when something is over X damage. Small fast damage works against them but siege tanks get owned because the shield absorbs all damage.

all things in the game look too cartoony. Look at the siege tank. It's all glossed over.
    Last edited by Praxis1452; 05-19-2007 at 06:32 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DTU_XaVier View Post
    That's the graphics of a 2 years old game called Warhammer 40k: Dawn Of War, and what the two deamons are performing is called a sync-kill (DoW exclusive cinematic kill)...

Best Regards
    hehehehe. First of all I'd like to say that I love SC.

I find it funny how so many people love Starcraft but ignore the genre that Blizzard ripped off. Dawn of War is a far better game then Starcraft and Sup Com. (I also like Sup Com).

The thing about DoW is that it requires a fair degree of skill. Sup Com is too 'large' and is all about using 'cheap' tactics. SC is all about massing an airforce. Both games are very tech heavy besides the early game rushing.

It is quite likely that the DoW successor will be a better game yet it won't be even close in sales to SC2 or SupCom because it is not ridding off the back of a big brand.
    Q6600 @ 3.0 | 8GB G-Skill @ 800 Mhz 5-5-5-20 | ATI 3870 Stock 1 x 500 GB Seagate 7200.11
    1 x 1TB Seagate 7200.11 | 2 x 320GB Seagate 7200.10
    Seasonic S12-550 Energy +CM Stacker

Quote Originally Posted by Mikesta View Post
    hehehehe. First of all I'd like to say that I love SC.

I find it funny how so many people love Starcraft but ignore the genre that Blizzard ripped off. Dawn of War is a far better game then Starcraft and Sup Com. (I also like Sup Com).

The thing about DoW is that it requires a fair degree of skill. Sup Com is too 'large' and is all about using 'cheap' tactics. SC is all about massing an airforce. Both games are very tech heavy besides the early game rushing.

It is quite likely that the DoW successor will be a better game yet it won't be even close in sales to SC2 or SupCom because it is not ridding off the back of a big brand.
    You've got to be kidding me. You think SC is just about massing an air army? You have no idea. The great thing about SC is that even the earliest units are useful throughout a game.

Starcraft requires the most skill of any RTS game to date. Just look at Korea. They have hundreds of professional players playing on national TV. If you think you're good at Starcraft, you have no idea. Download some replays, watch some youtube videos, go to a SC forum, you'll be drenched in strategies, and tactics. Starcraft invented the phrase APM or Actions Per Minute. If you've ever watched a Korean pro play, you'll be like WTF!? How the hell do they move their units so fast and build up so fast?

EDIT: flame removed, please calm down
    -saaya
    Last edited by finaldeathh; 05-19-2007 at 11:18 PM.

Live Long And Overclock
    SCII finally...dang....checking videos now.

Perkam

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by finaldeathh View Post
    You've got to be kidding me. You think SC is just about massing an air army? You have no idea. The great thing about SC is that even the earliest units are useful throughout a game.

Starcraft requires the most skill of any RTS game to date. Just look at Korea. They have hundreds of professional players playing on national TV. If you think you're good at Starcraft, you have no idea. Download some replays, watch some youtube videos, go to a SC forum, you'll be drenched in strategies, and tactics. Starcraft invented the phrase APM or Actions Per Minute. If you've ever watched a Korean pro play, you'll be like WTF!? How the hell do they move their units so fast and build up so fast?
    QFT.

If you think C&C3 sucks, that super commander is a good game, that dow takes more skill than sc, or that sc is bad, you know nothing about gaming.
    Phenom II 940 BE / ASUS M4A79 / HD5770 Crossfire
    3770mhz CPU 2600mhz NB | DDR1040 5-5-5-15 | 900/1250

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast