Thread: Not entirely sure what happened 2GBHZ up in smoke

Xtreme Member

Not entirely sure what happened 2GBHZ up in smoke

Long story short, One of my sticks of 2GBHZ and my Bad Axe 2 are up in smoke. It had been working fine for weeks, and I decide to install Vista 64 while it is sitting on the bench redoing my cabling.

Vista Installed, and I go to load drivers and I hear a sizzle and see smoke coming out of one of my Ram Slots. 2 seconds to pull power cord.

End result, My BX2 is gone, and so is one out of the 2 sticks in my kit. Not sure about second stick yet.

2 of the gold fingers on the ram are gone. What could of caused this. This was the rig I was setting up to use as a HTPC. Ram was set at 2.28 (Rated 2.2-2.3)

Question is, I can't say weather or not it was the ram that went, bad taking the MB with it, or the other way around.

After looking at Gskills RMA policy it would seem I am completly screwed, becuase the contacts smoked and its considered physical damage.

I work in a RMA department for a Major Communications manufacturer, and honestly I see electronics go up in smoke all the time.

I just honestly do not see how I could of done anything to cause this to happen.

Is there anything you guys can do to help me? I just paid over $300 for this Ram back in Febuary, and just ordered another Gskill 4GB kit today actually..

Thanks
    DFI 680i LT
    Intel Q6600 @ 3.2 Quad Prime Stable @1.3675 and climbing. VRM Temps issues now.
    Apogee GT, Laing D5, BI Stealth 240, EK 8800GTX WB
    EVGA 8800GTX @ 625/1000 Load Temps 49c
    2x Raptor 74GB, 4x WD 400GB, 2xSegate 7200.10 500GB
    Lian Li V2000 Black
    PCP&C Turbo Cool Custom 1KW

G.Skill USA Tech
    Quote Originally Posted by Spazilton View Post
    Long story short, One of my sticks of 2GBHZ and my Bad Axe 2 are up in smoke. It had been working fine for weeks, and I decide to install Vista 64 while it is sitting on the bench redoing my cabling.

Vista Installed, and I go to load drivers and I hear a sizzle and see smoke coming out of one of my Ram Slots. 2 seconds to pull power cord.

End result, My BX2 is gone, and so is one out of the 2 sticks in my kit. Not sure about second stick yet.

2 of the gold fingers on the ram are gone. What could of caused this. This was the rig I was setting up to use as a HTPC. Ram was set at 2.28 (Rated 2.2-2.3)

Question is, I can't say weather or not it was the ram that went, bad taking the MB with it, or the other way around.

After looking at Gskills RMA policy it would seem I am completly screwed, becuase the contacts smoked and its considered physical damage.

I work in a RMA department for a Major Communications manufacturer, and honestly I see electronics go up in smoke all the time.

I just honestly do not see how I could of done anything to cause this to happen.

Is there anything you guys can do to help me? I just paid over $300 for this Ram back in Febuary, and just ordered another Gskill 4GB kit today actually..

Thanks
    if pin burn.... i can't do anything to it.

sorry
    Feel free to contact ustech@gskillusa.com or use our G.Skill Q&A Sub-Forum, if having any questions about G.Skill products

Check out our items on NewEgg