Page 1 of 79 12341151 ... LastLast

Thread: ASUS P5K Deluxe - Intel P35 Bearlake + E6600 B1 / Q6600 B3

Memory Addict

Cool ASUS P5K Deluxe - Intel P35 Bearlake + E6600 B1 / Q6600 B3

After setting up my P5K Deluxe the other night, I decided to start off with my old trusty E6600 B1 ES cpu so as to be able to compare temps and results with my other motherboard adventures with the same cpu.

The P5K Deluxe shipped with 0123 bios but was updated to latest 0304 bios and flashed using USB drive and Ez Flash 2 in bios. You can see the bios screen shots here.

Asus P5K Deluxe Photos

Notes: - Will be continually updated as I progress.
    • Added: June 13th, 2007: Confirmation from bingo13/Gary from Anandtech here, black dimm slots are designed to be optimised for higher memory clocks/low latency clocks compared to yellow dimm slots. I found this out went revisiting Corsair 10000C5D Dominators in black dimm slots here.
    • Heads up for folks with PS/2 mouse, these new Asus P5K/P5K3 Deluxe boards removed the mouse PS/2 port in favour of USB mouse devices. So if you have a PS/2 mouse you'd either need to grab a USB mouse or PS/2 to USB adaptor http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/show_p...de]=CB-SKUSBPS. Unfortunately, for me that particular adaptor didn't work with my KVM switch mouse PS/2 connector cable so a USB mouse was needed.
    • Recovery from failed overclocks seems to be much better on Asus P5K Deluxe. Just turning off from power switch and powering psu off, wait a bit and power psu back on and power up would initiate the recovery mode - I see the bios detecting cpu at default 9x266FSB for my E6600 so i can F1 back into bios to set proper settings. No need for clear CMOS so far
    • Memory dividers available on Asus P5K Deluxe depend on the FSB Frequency set. Not all FSB Frequencies have all dividers available for them (well for 266FSB at least haven't tested the rest yet).
    • At 266FSB you have access to DDR2-667 (4:5), DDR2-800 (2:3), DDR2-889 (3:5), and DDR2-1067 (1:2). Photo
    • At 333FSB there's DDR2-667 (1:1), DDR2-800 (5:6), DDR2-833 (4:5), DDR2-1000 (2:3), DDR2-1067 (5:8), DDR2-1111 (3:5), and DDR2-1333 (1:2). Photo
    • At 400FSB there's DDR2-800 (1:1), DDR2-960 (5:6), DDR2-1000 (4:5), DDR2-1200 (2:3), DDR2-1280 (5:8), DDR2-1333 (3:5) and DDR2-1600 (1:2). Photo
    • At 500FSB there's DDR2-1000 (1:1), DDR2-1200 (5:6), DDR2-1250 (4:5), DDR2-1500 (2:3), DDR2-1600 (5:8), DDR2-1667 (3:5) and DDR2-2000 (1:2). Photo
    • Seems for at least 1:1, 4:5 and 2:3 dividers AUTO subtimings are set pretty tight, performing in Super Pi times just behind manually set subtimings of 3-30-8-3-6.
    • CPU Voltage Damper option in bios reduces vcore droop by as much as 75%. From approximately 0.032v droop to 0.008v droop! Finally, Asus answers our prayers in regards to vcore droop
    • Transaction Booster bios option when enabled, seems to boost memtest86+ v1.70 reported memory bandwidth. By default Transaction Booster is set to AUTO, but when Enabled or Disabled a sub menu appears in the form of levels. When enabled, Transaction Booster gives you an option to select 2 Boost levels of 0 or 1. When disabled, Transaction Booster gives you an option to select 3 different Relaxed levels between 0-3 - level 0 at least looks the same as AUTO set Transaction Booster in memtest86+ v1.70 bandwidth.
    • Interesting to note that for tests at 9x444FSB 1:1 4-4-4-4 2-20-2-2-2 at 2.1v vdimm that Transaction Booster AUTO and TRFC = 20, memtest reports 5383MB/s memory bandwidth compared with TRFC = 25 or 30 at 5201MB/s. But at TRFC = 20 if you enable Transaction Booster with Boost level 1, memtest still reports 5383MB/s. Could it be Transaction Booster Enabled just manipulates a tighter TRFC or other subtimings values ? Without memset for windows we won't be able to see what the subtimings are for real for now though.

Preliminary conclusions May 13th, 2007:
    Asus P5K Deluxe is meant to be replacing the 965P chipset motherboards such as Asus P5B Deluxe/P5B-E etc with the flagship 975X chipset being replaced by Intel X38 chipset due out later. I think the Asus P5K Deluxe can potentially end up faster in memory bandwidth intensive tasks than 965P by virtue of the new dividers available 5:6 and 5:8 opens up alot more FSB/MEM combinations

So far i can say, Asus P5K Deluxe has all the good features of Asus P5W DH, Asus P5B Deluxe, Asus 680i Striker extreme, Asus Commando and Asus P5W64 WS Pro rolled into one Asus took alot of feedback into consideration when they designed P5K Deluxe it seems (some suggestions i put forth but I've sure other end user folk have put their 2 cents in too )

Pros:
    1. CPU Voltage Damper fixes the old vcore droop issue!
    2. High memory clocking like P5B Deluxe/Commando with upto 2.55v vdimm max
    3. High Kentsfield quad core fsb - folks been able to get their QX6700 to 480-500FSB compared with P5B Deluxe 400FSB or 450-480fsb with volt mods or 440-480FSB on Asus Commando
    4. Very good failed oc recovery like Asus 680i Striker extreme, less need for clearing CMOS on failed overclocks
    5. Cleaner cpu socket area for phase change or extreme cooling users like Asus Commando (my Commando just arrived on Friday so another adventure starting soon - this is for phase change )
    6. Stock auto performance is very fast on par with moderately tweaked P5B Deluxe in terms of memory bandwidth/super pi. Handles tighter subtimings for memory than P5B Deluxe but performance similar - so maybe loosened up a bit by default for P5K Deluxe.

Cons:
    1. Lack of PS/2 mouse port - for KVM switch PS/2 users like me it mights it a bit more complicated to use. I setup a spare USB mouse next to my PS/2 mouse and by passed my KVM switch PS/2 mouse connector cable but kept KVM PS/2 keyboard/monitor plugged in.
    2. No power/reset/clear cmos buttons like the Striker Extreme boards
    3. Bios chip it isn't replaceable but soldered/fixed on the board it seems. See page 2-3 of manual for the board diagram here. The bios chip is supposedly located at the centre point in between the last PCI3 and PCI-E 2 slot and the red IDE connector location. Directly in alignment with the battery. That would make the bios chip to be the soldered on square chip to the right of the 7 pin header pictured here ? But it has Crash Free 3 bios feature see page 4-7 of manual. Shove the included driver dvd disk the system and boot it up and it should attempt to do a recovery bios flash.
    4. Added May 17th, 2007: Folks over at hardforum.com have highlighted some possible layout concerns in that if 2x double slot video cards are used in the 2x PCI-E video card slots, it will render 2 out of 3 of the PCI slots unusable and the location of the front USB/Firewire connectors and IDE connector.

But those are preliminary conclusions.. only had the Asus P5K Deluxe and P5K3 Deluxe board for 4 - 5 days so far
    Last edited by eva2000; 06-12-2007 at 10:32 AM.
    ---

Memory Addict
    E6600 B1 ES @2400Mhz - 9x266FSB stock AUTO vcore

System
    • E6600 QPGE B1 Step 5
    • Corsair Hydrocool 200EX 1/4" OD tubing
    • Asus P5K Deluxe 0304 bios
    • 128MB Gainward FX5200 PCI
    • 2x1GB Super Talent T1000UB1G5 Singles Micron D9GKX
    • 74GB WD Raptor 8MB on SATA 1 port
    • Pioneer DVR-08 Burner
    • Sony FDD
    • 1KW PCP&C SLI psu
    • WinXP Pro SP2

JumperFree Configuration Settings
    AI Overclocking: Manual
    CPU Ratio Control: Manual
    - Ratio CMOS Setting: 9
    FSB Frequency: 266
    PCI-E Frequency: 100
    DRAM Frequency: AUTO (at 266FSB defaults to 2:3 for AUTO)
    DRAM Timing Control: Manual
    CAS# Latency: 4
    RAS# to CAS# Delay: 4
    RAS# Precharge: 4
    RAS# Activate to Precharge: 12
    TWR: AUTO
    TRFC: AUTO
    TWTR: AUTO
    TRRD: AUTO
    TRTP: AUTO
    DRAM Static Read Control: Disabled

Transaction Booster: AUTO
    Clock Over-Charging Mode: AUTO

CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
    PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled

CPU Voltage: AUTO
    CPU Voltage Reference: AUTO
    CPU Voltage Damper: AUTO
    CPU PLL Voltage: AUTO
    DRAM Voltage: 2.10
    FSB Termination Voltage: AUTO
    North Bridge Voltage: AUTO
    North Bridge Voltage Reference: AUTO
    South Bridge Voltage: AUTO

Advance CPU Settings
    C1E Suppport: Disabled
    Max CPUID Value Limit: Disabled
    Vanderpool Technology: Disabled
    CPU TM Function: Disabled
    Execute Disable Bit: Disabled
    PECI: Enabled

USB Configuration
    USB Functions: Enabled
    Legacy USB Support: Disabled (need to enable it to detect USB flash drives)
    Cpuz Validation:

Idle:

Load:

Post Load Idle:
    ---

Memory Addict
    CPU Voltage Damper Option

The Asus CPU Voltage Damper option in bios when enabled reduces vcore droop under load by alot it seems - ~75% reduction in vcore droop under load when enabled! 1.425v bios set in windows AI Suite reports 1.392-1.400v idle and 1.368v drooped under load by 0.032v. But with CPU Voltage Damper enabled, AI Suite reports 1.4080v idle vcore and 1.400v load vcore - only 0.008v vcore droop! Other bios set vcore options have similar reductions to only 0.008v vcore droop under load when CPU Voltage Damper is enabled

CPU Voltage Damper disabled @1.425v bios set vcore = 2.2857% vcore droop under orthos small FFTs load
    CPU Voltage Damper enabled @1.425v bios set vcore = 0.5682% vcore droop under orthos small FFTs load

E6600 B1 ES @3600Mhz - 9x400FSB at 1.416v vcore

Okay to my everyday stable known overclock for my E6600 B1 ES cpu @3600Mhz. The P5K Deluxe handled my E6600 B1 ES much like my P5B Deluxe did needing slightly more vcore (1.416v loaded) to run Orthos stable compared to E6600 B1 ES on Asus P5W DH Deluxe motherboard (~1.38-1.39v vcore loaded).

System
    • E6600 QPGE B1 Step 5
    • Corsair Hydrocool 200EX 1/4" OD tubing
    • Asus P5K Deluxe 0304 bios
    • 128MB Gainward FX5200 PCI
    • 2x1GB Super Talent T1000UB1G5 Singles Micron D9GKX
    • 74GB WD Raptor 8MB on SATA 1 port
    • Pioneer DVR-08 Burner
    • Sony FDD
    • 1KW PCP&C SLI psu
    • WinXP Pro SP2

FSB Frequency: 400
    DRAM Frequency: DDR2-800 (at 266FSB defaults to 2:3 for AUTO)

CPU Voltage: 1.43750v (1.4240v idle / 1.4160v load)
    CPU Voltage Damper: Enabled
    CPU PLL Voltage: 1.50v
    FSB Termination Voltage: 1.30v
    North Bridge Voltage: 1.40v

Advance CPU Settings

USB Configuration
    Coretemp temperatures are pretty much same as Asus P5W DH, P5B Deluxe, and Intel D975XBX for 3600Mhz at 1.38-1.42v vcore Orthos loaded around 60-65C in 28.8C to 29.3C room ambient temps.

Load temps:

Post Load idle temps:
    ---

Memory Addict

Asus P5K Deluxe Timings/Subtimings
    1:1 Memory Divider

I went back to look at my usual P5B Deluxe advance timings and decided to see how they relate to what P5K Deluxe offers so as to see what kind of advance timings I can start off testing with. After comparing them, I figured I'd start with same advance timing defaults as P5B Deluxe.

For P5K Deluxe:
    TWR: 6 (P5B Deluxe default = 6 with stable range = 3-6)
    TRFC: 42 (P5B Deluxe default = 42 with stable range 20-42)
    TWTR: 10 (P5B Deluxe default = 10 with stable range 9-10 with 11 for higher clocks)
    TRRD: 10 (P5B Deluxe default = 10 with stable range = 2-10)
    TRTP: 10 (P5B Deluxe default = 10 with stable range = 6-10)
    * The comments in brackets next to values are how P5B Deluxe behaved with Micron D9xxx memory.

I'll use Super Pi v1.50 to showcase how much difference adjusting memory timings and subtimings has on bandwidth intensive applications performance.

Important to note, when looking at the Super Pi times, is that using E6600 B1 stepping ES cpu the Super Pi times are approximately 10-22 seconds slower clock for clock than retail Core 2 Duo B2 stepping cpus. I'll swap to a retail B2 stepping cpu after I used my E6600 B1 ES cpu to figure out the memory clock/timings behavioural characteristics of the Asus P5K Deluxe.

I'll start off with all sub timings being set to AUTO:

DRAM Frequency: DDR2-800

Advance CPU Settings

USB Configuration
    Subtimings all set to AUTO:

Then we'll tighten just tRAS to 4 but leave everything else the same (largesystemcache disabled in Windows XP Pro SP2):

RAS# Activate to Precharge: 4

Then tighten subtimings to P5B Deluxe default values (largesystemcache disabled in Windows XP Pro SP2):

TWR: 6
    TRFC: 42
    TWTR: 10
    TRRD: 10
    TRTP: 10
    As you can see from the slower 32M time, the AUTO set advance timings must be alot tighter than 6-42-10-10-10-10. Maybe Asus P5K Deluxe AUTO subtimings are picking up my Super Talent T1000UB1G5 memories advance subtimings set in SPD - see Everest Ultimate memory SPD settings here.

Then tighten subtimings even further (largesystemcache disabled in Windows XP Pro SP2):

TWR: 3
    TRFC: 30
    TWTR: 8
    TRRD: 3
    TRTP: 6
    Faster than subtimings set at AUTO (largesystemcache disabled in Windows XP Pro SP2):

How tight can we go still at 2.1v vdimm (largesystemcache disabled in Windows XP Pro SP2):

TWTR: 3
    TRTP: 3

Easier chart comparison:

Important to note, when looking at the Super Pi times, is that using E6600 B1 stepping ES cpu the Super Pi times are approximately 10-22 seconds slower clock for clock than retail Core 2 Duo B2 stepping cpus.

Edit: It seems I had largesystemcache disabled in Windows XP Pro SP2 which might account for the slower times :o I'll rerun the last configuration of 4-4-4-4 3-30-3-3-3 again with largesystemcache enabled in Windows XP Pro SP2.

Largesystemcache enabled time is ~25 seconds faster:

From the above Super Pi 1:1 memory divider testing, we see that AUTO subtimings set are at least faster than 6-42-10-10-10-10 (AUTO subtimings 0.955% faster) but slightly slower than manually set 3-30-8-3-6 (AUTO subtimings 0.378% slower) and 3-30-3-3-3 (AUTO subtimings 1.098% slower). I'm guessing that AUTO subtimings' values are a bit looser but close to 3-30-8-3-6 manually set values.
    ---

Memory Addict

4:5 Memory Divider

Next up is looking at how 4:5 memory divider behaves on Asus P5K Deluxe using 0304 bios. First feature I noticed was that changing memory dividers also triggers off the the auto shutdown and auto restart process on only the bios exit in which you change the memory dividers. This is normal in order to properly set up the settings and only happens on the first change of memory dividers at exiting bios. Second item I noticed was there might be a bug in that PCI-E Frequency isn't locking properly when set to 100Mhz on first boot up after changing to 4:5 memory divider. Setting PCI-E Frequency to 102Mhz fixed the problem completely though. I've passed this finding onto Asus folks so let's see what they can do for the next bios release.

For 4:5 memory divider testing right now, I just wanted to find out what the bios set's for AUTO for the subtimings as memset doesn't support P35 Bearlake chipset as yet there's no way to know from within windows what AUTO values are used for subtimings.

I decided to run 2 sets of tests, one at AUTO subtimings and one at 3-30-3-3-3 manually set subtimings.

PCI-E Frequency: 102
    DRAM Frequency: DDR2-1000
    TWR: AUTO and 3
    TRFC: AUTO and 30
    TWTR: AUTO and 3
    TRRD: AUTO and 3
    TRTP: AUTO and 3

DRAM Voltage: 2.30

Advance CPU Settings

USB Configuration
    At AUTO Subtimings (largesystemcache enabled from now on):

Manually set subtimings (largesystemcache enabled from now on):

Important to note, when looking at the Super Pi times, is that using E6600 B1 stepping ES cpu the Super Pi times are approximately 10-22 seconds slower clock for clock than retail Core 2 Duo B2 stepping cpus. However, even for B1 stepping cpu it seems the 32M times are off a bit from past B1 times at 4:5 on other boards, I'll have to pluck in a B2 stepping cpu latter to see what's happening.

Again a similar pattern emerges as with 1:1 memory divider test in that manually set 3-30-3-3-3 sub timings is only 0.437% faster than AUTO subtimings configuration. In other words, AUTO subtimings values even on 4:5 divider are set pretty tight to begin with. This maybe good if you have a nice pair of Micron D9xxx based DDR2 memory with adequate vdimm memory voltage but might be too tight for other value memory.

I'm not sure if AUTO subtiming values are set by the memory's SPD programming ? If that was the case, then how fast or slow AUTO subtimings are would be dependent on your specific DDR2 memory modules' SPD programming ??

For value ram 4:5 divider mode, maybe it might be easier to start off with manually set subtiming values to 6-42-10-10-10 since it's alot looser and work your way down to tighter values ?
    ---

Memory Addict

2:3 Memory Divider

Some observations from 2:3 memory divider testing:

• In general this Super Talent memory doesn't like CAS4 much without alot of vdimm voltage. The same occured on Asus P5B Deluxe and Asus 680i Striker Extreme.
    • But flies at CAS5. I tried 4-4-4-4 at higher than 525mhz memory at 2.35v with AUTO subtimings and got some errors in memtest86+ v1.70.
    • Then I tried subtimings manually set to 6-42-10-10-10 and got alot less errors so I suspect AUTO subtimings are too tight but without memset in windows to see what's being set, decided to use 5-4-4-4 main timings and had no problems at all. So higher 2:3 memory divider tests are being done with 5-4-4-4 main timings.
    • Further proof of tight AUTO subtimings, in 2:3 memory divider @570Mhz 5-4-4-4 at 2.4v with AUTO subtimings there was alot of memtest errors. But at manual set subtimings 6-42-10-10-10 only 6 errors. But at @570Mhz 5-5-5-15 at 2.35v vdimm AUTO subtimings set the memtest bandwidth was same as @5-4-4-4 with 6-42-10-10-10 subtimings. So AUTO subtimings set with 5-5-5-15 main timings made up for the looser set main timings.
    • At 600mhz 5-5-5-15 it with AUTO subtimings the Super Talent memory only needed 2.35v vdimm which is the same as when I tested the memory on Asus P5B Deluxe with 1101 bios.

Like the 4:5 memory divider tests, I'll run 2 sets of tests, one at AUTO subtimings and one at 3-30-3-3-3 manually set subtimings.

DRAM Frequency: DDR2-1200
    CAS# Latency: 5
    RAS# to CAS# Delay: 5
    RAS# Precharge: 5
    RAS# Activate to Precharge: 15
    TWR: AUTO and 3
    TRFC: AUTO and 30
    TWTR: AUTO and 3
    TRRD: AUTO and 3
    TRTP: AUTO and 3

DRAM Voltage: 2.35

Advance CPU Settings

USB Configuration
    At AUTO Subtimings (largesystemcache enabled from now on):

DRAM Frequency: DDR2-1200

Manually set subtimings (largesystemcache enabled from now on):

DRAM Frequency: DDR2-1300

Important to note, when looking at the Super Pi times, is that using E6600 B1 stepping ES cpu the Super Pi times are approximately 10-22 seconds slower clock for clock than retail Core 2 Duo B2 stepping cpus.

Again the same pattern as with 1:1 and 4:5 memory dividers in that AUTO subtiming values in 2:3 divider mode are already set pretty tight out of the box. Auto subtiming values are only 0.251% slower than manually set subtimings of 3-30-3-3-3.
    ---

Memory Addict
    Just doing some quick screenies at 7x501FSB 1:1 and also checking out Super Talent PC2-8000 memory with the new 5:8 divider available on Asus P5K Deluxe @614mhz 5-5-5-5 at 2.45v

7x501FSB 1:1

5:8 divider @614mhz 5-5-5-5 at 2.45v

That's 9mhz better than on Asus P5B Deluxe with same memory @605mhz 5-5-5-15 6-42-11-10-10-10 at 2.45v IIRC!

---

Memory Addict
    Asus P5K Deluxe Transaction Booster

Next feature to look in bios is Transaction Booster. This function seems to boost memtest86+ v1.70 reported memory bandwidth. By default Transaction Booster is set to AUTO, but when Enabled or Disabled a sub menu appears in the form of levels. When enabled, Transaction Booster gives you an option to select 2 Boost levels of 0 or 1. When disabled, Transaction Booster gives you an option to select 3 different Relaxed levels between 0-3 - level 0 at least looks the same as AUTO set Transaction Booster in memtest86+ v1.70 bandwidth.

Using 9x400FSB 1:1 4-4-4-4 settings below:

Transaction Booster: AUTO or Disabled Relax 0 or Enabled Boost 1

CPU Voltage: 1.4375
    CPU PLL Voltage: 1.50
    FSB Termination Voltage: 1.30
    North Bridge Voltage: 1.40

Advance CPU Settings

USB Configuration
    Transaction Booster Disabled - Relax level 0

Transaction Booster Enabled - Boost level 1

Now how Transaction Booster AUTO vs Enabled Boost level 1 compare for Super Pi 32M

AUTO set = 14m 53.813s

Enabled Boost Level 1 set = 14m 45.531s

Transaction Booster Enabled Level 1 is 0.915% or 8.182 seconds faster than when set to AUTO!

---

Memory Addict
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield
    +
    Corsair Nautilus 500 H20 cooled 3/8"

Alot of folks have asked what about kenstfield quad core cpus on Asus P5K Deluxe ? So decided to swap out my E6600 B1 ES cpu for my Q6600 QUPT B3 ES cpu.

But I know that the external water cooling unit Corsair Hydrocool 200EX with 1/4" OD tubing I'm currently using won't be able to handle Kentsfield quad core. So changed the cpu cooling to a Corsair Nautilus 500 3/8" ID tubing based external water cooling unit which was kindly supplied by the folks at Corsair

Corsair Nautilus 500 coolant vs Corsair Hydrocool 200EX coolant

To illustrate the tubing sizes from left to right:
    Corsair Nautilus 500 3/8" ID vs Corsair Hydrocool 200EX 1/4" OD vs Clearflex 3/8" ID vs Clearflex 1/2" ID tubing

Let's compare stock Q6600 temperatures on P5K Deluxe with Corsair Nautilus 500 3/8" tubing with Q6600 on P5B Deluxe with Swiftech G4 Storm/Thermochill HE120.E/MCP650 1/2" tubing setups.

Q6600 stock clock/vcore with P5B Deluxe
    Swiftech G4 Storm + Thermochill HE120.3 (3x120x38mm Panaflo 103cfm) + MCP650

Room temps = 21.0C - 24.5C
    Idle temps = 22.0C - 27.0C
    Load temps = 37C - 43C
    Load room delta temps = 16C - 22C
    Load cpu load - cpu idle delta temps = 15-21C

Idle:

Load:

vs

Q6600 stock clock/vcore with P5K Deluxe
    Corsair Nautilus 500 with fan set on high speed ~1800rpm

Room temps = 27.5C - 28.5C
    Idle temps = 43.0C - 47.0C
    Load temps = 56C - 62C
    Load room delta temps = 28.5C - 34.5C
    Load cpu load - cpu idle delta temps = 13C - 19C

Idle:

Load:

Looks like Nautilus 500 is behind my custom DIY - Swiftech G4 Storm setup by at least 12C. This is as expected considering the huge difference in ambient room temperatures, size of radiator and fan setups. Swiftech G4 Storm setup has a triple fan radiation Thermochill HE120.3 and 3x 120x38mm thick Panaflo 103cfm fans versus Corsair Nautilus 500's single low cfm fan and much smaller radiator. To illustrate the difference here's Q6600 @3500Mhz at 1.472v idle/1.408v load on P5B Deluxe using Swiftech G4 Storm setup with 25-27C room ambients resulted in 31-37C idle and 60-68C load temps.
    ---

Memory Addict
    Q6600 Kentsfield @3600Mhz
    +
    Corsair Nautilus 500 H20 cooled 3/8"

My Q6600 B3 ES Kentsfield quad core cpu 24/7 stable clock on Asus P5B Deluxe is 3600Mhz at 1.456v with Swiftech G4 Storm/Thermochill HE120.3/MCP650 with 60-68C coretemp reported load temps. From above comparison between the Storm/Thermochill HE120.3/MCP650 vs Corsair Nautilus we can see that at 3600Mhz temps will be alot higher on the Corsair Nautilus. How high ? Let's find out

Q6600 @3600Mhz - 9x400FSB 1:1 at 1.475v bios set vcore with CPU Voltage Damper enabled gave me windows idle temps of

Idle @1.475v bios set

However, the 2nd core = core1 failed quad Prime95 v25.1 smallFFTs load testing even at 1.475v or 1.4875v.

Idle @1.4875v bios set

Load @1.4875v bios set

Failed core1 @1.4875v bios set

Post Load Idle @1.4875v bios set

Roasty at upto 86C coretemp reported load temps! Might have to try remounting Corsair Nautilus 500 waterblock a few times to make sure it's making proper contact

Still @3600Mhz at 1.4875v bios set vcore, it manages to complete Systool Quad 16M Pi benchmark fine though. This is a good indicator of being able to complete Super Pi 32M at least even though not Quad Prime95 v25.1 small FFTs stable

Systool Quad 16M Pi Halfway mark

Systool Quad 16M Pi Completed
    ---

Memory Addict
    Q6600 B3 ES @3600Mhz - 9x400FSB 1:1

While Q6600 @3600Mhz at 1.475v bios set wasn't prime95 stable, it still managed to complete single, dual and quad 32M probably due to the lower heat output compared with prime95 smallFFTs.

System

Transaction Booster: Enabled
    Boost Level: 1

CPU Voltage: 1.475v

Advance CPU Settings

USB Configuration
    Super Pi v1.50 Single instances

1M

8M

32M

Super Pi v1.50 Dual instances

8M

32M

Super Pi v1.50 Quad instances

8M

32M

Quick bench before I sleep

Highest Q6600 FSB I've had to date thanks to Asus P5K Deluxe! (will try higher FSB later)

Last edited by eva2000; 05-14-2007 at 05:53 AM.
    ---

Memory Addict
    Q6600 B3 ES - Max FSB

From above quick 8x450FSB test you can see Asus P5K Deluxe has much better Kentsfield Quad core FSB headroom. I've seen other P5K Deluxe folks with QX6700 @480-500+ FSB. So now to see what my Q6600 B3 ES can do FSB wise.

I usually start off with Systool V1.0 728 build Quad 16M Pi test (uses 1.3GB of memory - the Quad 32M test uses 2.6+ GB of memory) to test max FSB for my Q6600. If it fails it usually aborts the test or reboots the system.

With below settings max FSB was around 7x470FSB

- Ratio CMOS Setting: 7
    FSB Frequency: 470
    DRAM Frequency: DDR2-940

CPU Voltage: 1.4125v
    DRAM Voltage: 2.25

Advance CPU Settings
    - Ratio CMOS Setting: 7

USB Configuration
    Change CPU PLL Voltage from 1.50v to 1.60v allowed me to boot into windows 7x480FSB otherwise with 1.50v would BSOD on entering windows. Upping NB Volts from 1.4v to 1.55v allowed 7x480FSB

CPU Voltage: 1.4125v
    CPU PLL Voltage: 1.60
    North Bridge Voltage: 1.55
    Upping Vcore to 1.4375v allowed 7x485FSB

CPU Voltage: 1.4375v
    7x490FSB is turning out to be tricky to achieve, Quad Systool V1.0 728 build 16M Pi benchmark will reboot the system even quicker if you raise vcore from 1.4375v to 1.45v. Similar thing happened on P5B Deluxe but at 400-425FSB ceiling when vcore past a certain point reduced max stable FSB.

Q6600 @3395Mhz - 7x485FSB

Here's where I ended up for single and dual Super Pi runs at 7x485FSB 1:1 )

Single Super Pi 32M

Dual Super Pi 32M

Q6600 B3 ES @3800Mhz - 8x475FSB

Amazing indeed with Asus P5K Deluxe, I've pushed my Q6600 to a new high - being able to run single and dual Super Pi 32M @3800Mhz - 8x475FSB !

- Ratio CMOS Setting: 8
    FSB Frequency: 475
    DRAM Frequency: DDR2-950

CPU Voltage: 1.5375v
    DRAM Voltage: 2.20

Advance CPU Settings
    - Ratio CMOS Setting: 8

USB Configuration

Single Super Pi 32M

Dual Super Pi 32M

Looks like Corsair Nautilus 500 can handle it
    Last edited by eva2000; 05-14-2007 at 08:08 PM.

Memory Addict
    Asus P5K Deluxe - flashed from 0304 to 0311 official bios

Well I've flashed from 0307 beta bios to 0311 official bios from Asus' http download site (not the 0311 beta bios that was on Asus ftp sites a few days before). All went well with no problems so far. Failed overclock recovery seems to have gotten better than before and that was already very good to begin with!

Flashed within bios using Ez Flash2. I suggest using Ez Flash2 or Afudos for flashing bios and avoid using Asus Update in windows.

Now you ask, what changed in 0311 bios ? Official change log states:

P5K Deluxe Release BIOS 0311
    1. Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at: http://support.asus.com.tw/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx
    2. Enhance device compatibility under AHCI mode

But it seems they also added Command Rate option in bios for 1T/2T. Only done limited tests with 1T for now but there is a boost in memtest86+ v1.70 reported bandwidth when 1T is enabled. I'll return later to test 1T out. Just want to see how 2T manually selected performs. I've swapped out my X6800 cpu into my Asus Commando for now, so returning to using my Q6600 B3 ES Kentsfield quad core cpu for 0311 official bios tests.

System

FSB Frequency: 333
    DRAM Frequency: DDR2-1111
    DRAM Command Rate: 2T
    RAS# Activate to Precharge: 9 (resulted in higher memtest bandwidth than 5)
    DRAM Static Read Control: AUTO

Boost Level: N/A

CPU Voltage: 1.325v
    DRAM Voltage: 2.30
    South Bridge Voltage: 1.05

Advance CPU Settings
    PECI: Disabled

USB Configuration
    CPUZ Validation

Wprime v1.43

Cinebench 9.5

Prime95 v25.2
    Blend load and post load idle

Everest Ultimate

Sandra XI SP2

Buffered

Unbuffered

Latency

Super Pi v1.50
    Single & Dual 32M

Single 32M

Dual 32M

Note, this isn't the max performance of any component, just benchmarks and tests to see if 0311 official bios at least works

2GB Super Talent T1000UB1G5 Micron D9GKX Singles
    @625Mhz 5-5-4-9 at 2.45v/2.50v

FSB Frequency: 391
    DRAM Frequency: DDR2-1251
    DRAM Command Rate: 2T
    RAS# Activate to Precharge: 9 (resulted in higher memtest bandwidth than 5)
    TWR: 8
    TWTR: 8
    TRRD: 8
    TRTP: 8
    DRAM Static Read Control: AUTO

Boost Level: N/A

CPU Voltage: 1.475v
    DRAM Voltage: 2.45v and 2.50v
    South Bridge Voltage: 1.20

Advance CPU Settings
    PECI: Disabled

USB Configuration
    P5K Deluxe 0311 bios definitely improved memory overlocking over 0304/0307 bios for my 2x1GB Super Talent T1000UB1G5 Singles Micron D9GKX.

Max single Super Pi 32M v1.50 for 2x1GB Super Talent T1000UB1G5 Singles Micron D9GKX:
    • 605mhz 5-5-5-15 at 2.35v and 600mhz 5-5-4-5 at 2.45v and 600mhz 5-4-4-4 at 2.60v on Asus P5B Deluxe 1101 bios
    • 614mhz 5-5-5-5 at 2.45v on Asus P5K Deluxe 0304 bios, higher vdimm didn't help even for 5-4-4-x or loose 5-5-5-15
    • 625mhz 5-5-4-9 at 2.50v on Asus P5K Deluxe 0311 official bios and benched other apps with 2.45v - I feel it can scale even more with more vdimm!

CPU Validation

Super Pi v1.50

Single 32M

wPrime v1.43

Cinebench 9.5

Nuclearus 2.0 RC1

Everest Ultimate

Last edited by eva2000; 06-06-2007 at 06:38 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Eva, you are one hard working o'clocker!

Awesome work as always.... much appreciated as my Q6600 seems to top out at around 3500 on the P5B Deluxe, and I am wondering if a newer MB would be worth it so your testing is much appreciated..

FYI, you might want to look at the Ultra-120 Extreme - I found it no less than 10C better than the original model.

Q6600 @ 3456MHz, P5B 1.5625v bios

10K FFT Orthos/Prime95 temps (the worst) = 74C coretemp at 21.5 ambient.
    Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 & 6600's
    6400: 2.1GHz overclocked to 3.360 Ghz, 1.450V Vcore, Asus P5W-DH Deluxe, Rev 67MOAG BIOS 1305 -TTBT
    6600: 2.4GHz overclocked to 3.600 Ghz, 1.5375V Vcore, 3.708 Ghz, 1.5750V Vcore, Asus P5W-DH Deluxe, Rev 68MOAG BIOS 1602 - Ultra-120
    QuadCore Q6600: 2.4GHz oc to 3.456 Ghz, 1.5625V Vcore, Asus P5B-Deluxe Wifi, Rev 1.03G BIOS 804 - Ultra-120 Extreme New Build, still testing.
    Gskill F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ (4 x 1GB)
    Antec Truepower2 550w EPS

Xtreme Enthusiast
    nice with that CPU Voltage Damper Option .

Keep up the great work eva
    Asus Rampage II Gene - i7 920 D0 Lapped - Lapped Noctua NH12U-F
    Sapphire HD4870 X2 - 6GB Corsair Dominator GT@T1 - Windows 7 x64
    2 x WD Velociraptor 150GB Raid 0 - 500GB Samsung T166
    Antec ThreeHundred - Samsung A656 40"- TX650W

Xtreme Member
    eva2000 great results so far, can compare this mobo to DFI infinity aka DARK ?

thanks!
    |::| i7 920 3849A914
    |::|EVGA Classified 760
    |::|G.Skill Trident 6GB DDR3-2000
    |::|BFG GTX 275
    |::|G.Skill Falcon 2 128GB
    |::|WD BLACK 1TBx2
    |::|Ultra X3 1000W
    |::|Powered by Heatkiller LT/Ek-Classified/EK 275GTX /Feser x360/MCP355x2
    |::|LCD: Samsung T260

"Sharing your knowledge is always the best way to learn new things". OPB

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hausner View Post
    eva2000 great results so far, can compare this mobo to DFI infinity aka DARK ?

thanks!
    Compare Please
    What about strap with this mobo - is it like P5B Dlx (1067 up to 400fsb and 1333 over 400) ?

Memory Addict
    thanks guys no strap change at 400FSB... more like Abit QuadGT with 1067FSB strap

testing/benching my Q6600 @8X450FSB right now! that's highest fsb ever for my Q6600! Haven't tried higher fsb yet
    ---

Xtreme Enthusiast
    eva....Would you say this is better than the P5B-DLX and Commando??
    I have a P5B-DLX that goes 500+fsb and a Commando here.
    Also, what is the power circuitry like in comparison to the other Asus boards ?

Thanks and great work !!

Memory Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by bito View Post

Thanks and great work !!
    Yes better than both.. not sure on specifics of power circuitry other than P5K Deluxe being 8-phase design

Highest Q6600 FSB I've had to date thanks to Asus P5K Deluxe! (will try higher FSB later)

---

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks
    P5K-DLX on order......I'll let you know how my Q6600ES B3 goes

I will have my P5K Tomorrow
    Processor: i7-920 - Batch#3910A418 - No OC
    Temps: Full 4 Core Load-XXc, Idle-23c

Motherboard: Evga X58 SLI Micro
    CPU HSF: Xigmatek Black Knight w/MX-2
    Memory: Corsair Dominator 6GB (3 x 2GB) DD3 1600
    Video: eVGA 580GTX
    HDDs: Velociraptor 300GB
    PSU: CoolerMaster Gold 800w
    Case: Antec Lanboy Air

Xtreme Member
    Complete and thorough work as always eva! Lots of information to digest. Can't wait to see how the P38 fares when it arrives! Thank you for all the work you do.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bito View Post

Thanks and great work !!
    Quote Originally Posted by eva2000 View Post
    Yes better than both.. not sure on specifics of power circuitry other than P5K Deluxe being 8-phase design

Hehe nice mobo

Very nice work man
    And what about Highest FSB with C2D E6300-E6700
    I have this mobo just ordered for my E6300 L628B

THX
    // E6600@3900~1.5v // Asus P5K DLX //A-DATA 2GB EE // Samsung F1 1TB // ASUS X1900XTX~735/1680 // Corsair HX520 // Thermaltake Armor VA8000SWA // W. COOLING ~ D-Tek FuZion & Viscool V3 GPU & Swiftech MCP655 & 2x Swiftech MCR-320QP //

Xtreme Addict
    eva.. very extensive..

thanks for sharing..
    Asus P5W64 WS Professional , DFI Infinity 965P-S (testing)
    X6800 , E6750 es
    Micron Fatbodies , Micron D9gkx oem, Crucial 8000, Crucial Tracer 8500 (incomming)
    Ati FireGL V5100, Elsa FireGL V3100
    water cooling setup (EK 775 cpu block, swiftech NB Block, Swiftech pump, BI dual pass dual 120mm)
    Silverstone OP650
    raptors, baracuda

Page 1 of 79 12341151 ... LastLast