Thread: E6420 & QuadGT FSB Limit, CPU or Motherboard???

E6420 & QuadGT FSB Limit, CPU or Motherboard???

Hey all,

I just put together a Core 2 Duo system based on the E6420 and an Abit QuadGT motherboard.

I've done some testing with this combination, and I can easily pass orthos at 8x449FSB = 3592 MHz at default voltage on everything except vcore (1.55v).

But it seems like there's a BIG wall for anything beyond 450 FSB. At 450 FSB, i need to increase the north bridge voltage from 1.25 to 1.60v just to be able to boot into windows, and it's not even orthos stable.

I've tried to lower the multiplier to 7x and still the same FSB wall. Nothing stable beyond 450+.

I am wondering if this is a CPU limit or a motherboard limit? Would a motherboard that has a 1333 strap such as the new Asus P35K help in getting over this hump? What about the 1333 bsel mod on the cpu?

Thanks for the help! I know the cpu can go higher! But i'm limited by the FSB.

Abit AB9 QuadGT
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 @ 8X449 = 3592 MHz
    4X1GB Crucial Ballistix 8000 @ 4-4-4-12 2T
    eVGA 8800 GTS 640MB @ 630 core / 985 mem
    Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme w/ Scythe S-Flex SFF21F 120mm fan
    Antec P180B case with P182 chassis
    OCZ Powerstream 520W SLI Ready PSU
    Plextor 716A 16X DVD+/- DL Writer
    2 x WD 250GB RAID 0 + 2 X WD 250GB RAID 0 = 1 TB

Xtreme Member
    This is weird....

My wall seems to be around 480mhz on mine, regardless of CPU multiplier. Others have hit 500fsb fairly easily, so I think this may be your CPU. 450 seems awfully low for this board. Once I get mine back from RMA, I will try to recall what bios settings I used.

Have you tried the other voltages like CPU VTT? Could this be an issue with your ram?

-Collin-
    I am like an alcoholic, but with motherboards.

Xtreme Member
    my quad gt stops at 450....

tryed several cpus...lower multis....maxed all voltages........no go.....

i can do 450 no prob but after that is just pointless...wont go....

its a shame because its a nice board.....but all the issues with ps2 ports and the low fsb is driving me nuts

best of luck for your problem

regards

STEELBALLZZ - N3RO - MARTAKIS

ZÉ DO BENCH TEAM

add a volt or two.....

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaZX6R View Post
    This is weird....

My wall seems to be around 480mhz on mine, regardless of CPU multiplier. Others have hit 500fsb fairly easily, so I think this may be your CPU. 450 seems awfully low for this board. Once I get mine back from RMA, I will try to recall what bios settings I used.

Have you tried the other voltages like CPU VTT? Could this be an issue with your ram?

-Collin-
    I've tried setting all the voltage to max, including cpu vtt. Still no go at 450FSB+. It seems unlikely to be the rams since at 449FSB i only needed default voltage on the rams and other voltages (except vcore) to pass orthos 8 hours stable.