Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112

Thread: AMD Radeon HD 2900 XT overclocking results

I am Xtreme
    works the same either way, 8-pin or not, although I have much more luck with less crashes when overdrive is disabled.

But I'll tell ya what's different...I'm on Vista...are you? Unless you are, there are no comparisons to be made, unfortunately. That's why noone else has luck with Crossfire overclocking, IMHO, as everyone still benches in XP. I personally won't use a DX10 card in XP, but that's jsut me.

Would be nice if Macci could share AMD Graphics Manager....
    Last edited by cadaveca; 06-13-2007 at 01:31 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    no i'm on xp ,,, i have mine watercooled but not much use yet as no overclocking strangely as well on mine with amd gpu tool the 2d and 3d clocks are greyed out, is atitool any nearer, i'd even be happy to use overdrive but would need some 8 pin pcie adapters which are not available anywhere in the uk, only one i have seen is in a coolaler thread, what are you using amd gpu tool if not using overdrive

Xtreme Addict
    Personally i wont use Vista on my computer, and ill ban anyone who will try to install Vista on one of my computers. Benching in Vista is like trying to overclock HD2900XT without heatsink.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by GLENBOY View Post
    no i'm on xp ,,, i have mine watercooled but not much use yet as no overclocking strangely as well on mine with amd gpu tool the 2d and 3d clocks are greyed out, is atitool any nearer, i'd even be happy to use overdrive but would need some 8 pin pcie adapters which are not available anywhere in the uk, only one i have seen is in a coolaler thread, what are you using amd gpu tool if not using overdrive

Enabling overdrive, and leaving clocks at default(unlocking overdrive is enabling, 8-pin alone is not enough), will result in lower scores, so, to be completely honest, I'm not using overdrive at all, just AMDGPUCLOCKTool. Unlocking overdrive has not met with much success for me either.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasparz
    Personally i wont use Vista on my computer, and ill ban anyone who will try to install Vista on one of my computers. Benching in Vista is like trying to overclock HD2900XT without heatsink.
    Yeah, people used to insist that the world was still flat too. They eventually bowed in favor of reality...times change, and so must the tools we use.

I'll refrain from commenting on functionality or whatever, about Vista...I'll say that I use it, for sure.

But listen...without even trying Vista, and seeing how the card behaves under DX10, there's no real way to be able to properly stress this gpu. DX9 does not use this gpu fully @ all...so I use Vista, and DX10, for stability testing.

As the DX10 API allows load balancing, you can ensure that the gpu is used to it's fullest extent, and resources aren't sitting idle...because if it always sits idle(which can be the case quite often with how the ALU's are arranged), there's no way to even know if it's stable. That's like overclocking a quad while disabling 2 cores...no different what so ever.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    thanks for the feedback cadaveca , aahhh i wonder if the amd graphics manager has anything to do with being able to overclock crossfired 2900s

I am Xtreme
    No, it doesn't. I think Macci said he was flashing bios...probably using AGM to find good spots of each card by itself, and then flashing the bios and straight benching for Crossfire. I can only change card speeds once before getting a lock, so benching takes far more time than you'd think with these cards.

Far, far, far, from perfect.

Xtreme Member
    Don't even bother using 8Pins for Overdrive in Xfire. Yes, Overdrine will O/C or seem like it but your benches and games' performance are the same. I don't think overdrive O/C at all in Xfire.

Xtreme Legend
    Here is the screenshot from my last week single card 3DMark06 test: 16067

CPU: 4379 MHz
    DFI Lanparty UT ICFX3200-T2R/G
    Radeon HD 2900 XT: 1000/1020 MHz
    Corsair 6400C3: 3-3-3-8 1T @ 454 MHz
    Dry ice

Ilkkahy is making me solid copper VGA containers which can be used with both R600 and G80. The other side of the container is flat for G80 heatspreader and other side will be machined for R600 and shim.

Favourite game: 3DMark
    Work: Muropaketti.com - Finnish hardware site
    Views and opinions about IT industry: Twitter: sampsa_kurri

OC Jedi (on stand-by)
    Nice new pot. Thats true engineering

The score is very nice as well
    オタク
    "Perfection is a state you should always try to attain, yet one you can never reach." - me =)

Xtreme Legend

New container design. Looking forward to these
    Favourite game: 3DMark
    Work: Muropaketti.com - Finnish hardware site
    Views and opinions about IT industry: Twitter: sampsa_kurri

¿
    That sounds like an interesting design. Have you heard anything from W1zzard recently

Xtreme Member
    Another container is halfway done. I have to do some finishing work (even though i think its the inside that matters and drill couple of holes for mounting there but youll get the idea:

It weights 2380g so its kinda heavy for gpu container too (and also efficient im certain about that). Changing aluminium to copper should get load temps down about 20c. I have made identical version of Sampsas cpu container from aluminium and that was the case there.
    Last edited by ilkkahy; 06-18-2007 at 11:42 PM.
    "I would never want to be a member of a group whose symbol was a guy nailed to two pieces of wood."

Xtreme Member
    I made very quick test (first mount, stuff in, temps, kinda bada-bim bada-bum...) in 160w bench and container gave -29c so 16c improvement to aluminium version (alu gave -13c).

I wanted to be certain that i havent made that internal cross thing too high for dryice but those are very good temps in this bench, especially knowing that with better contact it would get even few degrees lower.

Im looking forward to see these in real action but there are still lots of work to do before that is possible.
    "I would never want to be a member of a group whose symbol was a guy nailed to two pieces of wood."

Xtreme Mentor
    nice book with the swastika.
    Silverstone Temjin TJ-09BW w/ Silverstone DA750
    Asus P8P67
    2600K w/ Thermalright Venomous X Black w/ Sanyo Denki San Ace 109R1212H1011
    8GB G.Skill DDR-1600 7-8-7-24
    Gigabyte GTX 460 1G
    Modded Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty w/ Klipsch Promedia 2.1
    1 X 120GB OCZ Vertex
    1 X 300GB WD Velociraptor HLFS
    1 X Hitachi 7K1000 1TB
    Pioneer DVR-216L DVD-RW
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64

Quote Originally Posted by alexio View Post
    From the hip and aim at the kitchen if she doesn't approve your purchases. She'll know better next time.

Xtreme Member
    The book is William L Shirers Rise and fall of third reich, which is worth reading. It had the optimal thickness for this situation but i dont think my insulation job and mounting had passed in 1940 germany...

Anyway i managed to break 3,2mm drill inside the copper so which is "the old classic". The good thing is that i got container milled about 1mm from the sides so it doesnt look so brutal anymore.

But maybe enough ot about the container now.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    very nice container there ilkkahy! will show pics when my containers are ready, i have my old and just work away so that the coldplate goes in against the shim to rech the core and the hole is the same as to X1900 series so it's not much of job doing that, pics will come
    benchrigg-Intel i7-965 Extreme Edition-GB EX58-UD5-TRI Channel Corsair Dominator 1600Mhz-2x250Gb Hdd raid 0- Corsair HX 1000W modular PSU-Sapphire HD3870 TOXIC 512MB XFIRE.

24/7 Rig|Gigabyte DS3 rev-2.0|P4 925 D 3Ghz|Crucial PC2 533 D9GMH 2x1024|gainward 7300GS 256mb|120g+200g+200gbhdd+ 2x sata II 200gb+ 350gb sataII|psu Hiper 580w modular

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112