Thread: 'Pumped' VapoLS

Xtreme Addict

'Pumped' VapoLS

So, Pump101 got me to take a look at his VapoLS. It was leaking from a bad braze, and he also wanted to ensure it was up to Quad Core standard.

The case also had a little damage, as when it was dealt with last time the compressor was put on the wrong mounting holes (yes, the LS has 2 different sets of holes, probably for a different compressor option or something) so the side panel was looking like it had been hit with a ball peen hammer a few dozen times.

So, I stripped it, tested and repaired a couple leaks, and then did the high load conversion. Same as the other ones I've been doing, and it now holds to about 260w.

Temps...

Unloaded - -47c
    150w load - -32c
    260w load -22c

That's about as much testing on load as I figured it needed, and with the stock LS compressor and evap i was still pretty happy with that result anyway.

The other concern he had, was the Asus problem with restarting. New bios and other stuff is great and all, but if it started giving him grief he wouldn't be happy with it.

So a 'bypass' was installed, based on Asetek's test procedure, and it works surprisingly well.

It's just a switch, bridging the pins that operate the fan and compressor relay on the LS power board. I tapped into the harness, so the CC itself isn't modded, only the wiring itself.

He'd sent me a backup CC from a XEII so that was particularly important, as he wants to swap back when it's back to him.

Pics...

that's a sunbeam 'storm' cathode, looks cool in person

The switch, in a rear PC blank, so whenever it's needed, just switch it over and as long as the Vapo is plugged into power, it'll come on. it won't display the temp if it's in standby mode, but it'll keep cooling until it's switched back.

Cooling the head, but the vapo is actually 'off' and just in standby

And switched on, with 12v on the CC to keep it going. It's scrolling to tell you to plug in the USB for windows

So yeah, it's just some basic mods for the LS, but the high load on it, with the accumulator in place, is quite easy to work with. I soft soldered the captube and shortened it by about 8".

Hope he's happy with it, it took me longer than expected but I wanted the new silver paint to look really nice for him

Cheers

Gray
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Nice unit

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Nice work there gray, another fine example of craftsmanship, was this a blend of 404a/402a , also what was the suction pressure of this system under 260w load at -22c

Admin
    Lots of questions - <<< stop it Ron

1. What size is the compressor Gray?
    2. Is it like 5.5CC?
    3. What gas did you put back in it?
    4. How big is the accumulator?
    5. That is .028 captube? right
    UNDER THE ICE .com
    Phase Change Cooling

is the remedy

Xtreme Addict
    Low pressure was around 10psi or so at full load. The pressure didn't really match up to the temp, or it would have been much colder, but I think that the LS head is the main reason for it.

Hey Ron

Compressor over here is 8.5CLX danfoss so larger displacement, but about the same performance. Same idea to the NL11 vs NF9 I guess.

Gas was the 404/402 blend I've been working with. I don't get the same mix twice, but I don't really want to. Every system behaves just a little diferent so i just charge how it seems to like it best. I think I had a larger % of 402 this time, the cooler just seemed to like it, probably 70/30 of 402/404.

The stock VapoLS accumulator is pretty large so it was easy to deal with the high load tuning. About 5" long and maybe 1.25" diameter? Something like that.

Yes, the LS uses .028" or a really close metric equivelent. I was tempted to change things to .031" but it's not so easy on the LS line. .028" can be used for high load, but it's easier to do it with .031" imo.

It was nice to see it running with good charge but not flooding back at all. I feel that's necessary to behonest. If you get floodback issues it can leak to compressor failure over time so ensuring it's charged right means you get the best life out of the system, and you can still use it with lower loads without fear.

Glad you guys think it's ok

Gray
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-150c Club Member
    100&#37; Agree, we really could all use a small accumulator now adays!

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

Xtreme Addict
    When it comes to tuning for high load, I don't even bother trying without an accumulator anymore.

I think it's the combination of the cap being soldered to it, and the fact that when it hits the accumulator with that little bit of heatload there, it lets the refrigerant have enough room to expand and vaporise that it's better than simply adding a great deal of extra pipe.

For anyone that's thinking about buying a premade system, like Mach2 or VapoLS, I think that I would be more inclined towards the LS now after a couple of these kind of mods.

It's a pretty simple process to convert it to a high capacity cooler, the evap seems to really like high load, and other than just working with what you have there, it's mostly just the work involved instead of needing a new evap.

There are a few things that could get much better temps than this one, but if all you really want is to get it up to Quad core spec, it can be done simply and cheaply. I haven't tried it to confirm, but the accumulator is smaller on the mach2, and the evap, well I don't think it's performance at high load is going to be very good at all.

Anyway, late finish for me again tonight, time for sleepin'

Gray
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-150c Club Member
    Gnight Gray, sleep well.
    I agree, soft soldering also helps massively, as well as coilling around 3 feet of captube tightly INSIDE a 1/2" pipe or larger.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Some very good temps from that 8.5CLX Gray, Good job mate as always, Thank you again with the information you have given us all.

Xtreme Member
    Nice temps.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mole View Post
    Low pressure was around 10psi or so at full load. The pressure didn't really match up to the temp, or it would have been much colder, but I think that the LS head is the main reason for it.

Hey Ron

Compressor over here is 8.5CLX danfoss so larger displacement, but about the same performance. Same idea to the NL11 vs NF9 I guess.

Gas was the 404/402 blend I've been working with. I don't get the same mix twice, but I don't really want to. Every system behaves just a little diferent so i just charge how it seems to like it best. I think I had a larger % of 402 this time, the cooler just seemed to like it, probably 70/30 of 402/404.

The stock VapoLS accumulator is pretty large so it was easy to deal with the high load tuning. About 5" long and maybe 1.25" diameter? Something like that.

Yes, the LS uses .028" or a really close metric equivelent. I was tempted to change things to .031" but it's not so easy on the LS line. .028" can be used for high load, but it's easier to do it with .031" imo.

It was nice to see it running with good charge but not flooding back at all. I feel that's necessary to behonest. If you get floodback issues it can leak to compressor failure over time so ensuring it's charged right means you get the best life out of the system, and you can still use it with lower loads without fear.

Glad you guys think it's ok

Gray
    Gray how does the Vapo shutdown with the same rear switch ???
    does lcd display still work you have no molex connector in the cc ?

Cheers Hori
    Asus COMMANDO -Intel Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz 401x9 have sum test @ 445x9 4GHZ :-)
    2x74 Gig Raptors Raid 0..GSKILL 6400 2x1Mb matchd Pair.-OCZ 550w Powerstream adjustable rails- XE2 Vapochill -pioneer Dvd.-2x160 Gig Hitachi ide drives..-Asus 7600 gs video card

http://www.hwbot.org/user.do;jsessio...C3?userId=8636

Admin
    I'm sorry to ask if you've already said but I can't find the answer.

1. Did you take out the Vapo accumultor and replace it with your design?
    2. You said you shortened the captube by 8 inches.

Please clarify the changes made to this unit.
    UNDER THE ICE .com
    Phase Change Cooling

is the remedy

-150c Club Member
    Also, though you say you would be more inclinded to the LS, I would say I'd be more inclined to the Mach due to a stronger compressor, and though the mods maybe harder (and it does have an accumulator), you might get better performance out of the Mach.

Xtreme Addict
    Sorry Ron

I didn't need to replace the accumulator in this one, just to mod it for crossflow and solder the captube. The accumulator is a really nice size in the LS. I did shorten the captube about 8" to push the capapcity up just a bit, but I find that the mods to the accumulator give a bit too.

Noob, the only reason is the full package you get for your money really.

1. Nicer case

2. More refined controller (and the wire mod takes care of any issues with the 775/Asus)

3. Far better evap and mount

I guess I figure it's easier to change a compressor if it's really needed.

I've always liked the look of the LS and after working on a few of them I realise now that they really are built really well too

Cheers

Gray
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-150c Club Member
    Ah thats true as well, I guess your right. I've always looked at it more from a price point that a new compressor costs more.

Admin
    So all you did was cut the cap tube 8" and wrap and solder the cap around the accumulator and suction? thanks Gray
    UNDER THE ICE .com
    Phase Change Cooling

is the remedy

-150c Club Member
    O I think Ron's got something he wants to do

Xtreme Addict
    Well the filter get's changed and realigned, the line get's stripped and reworked like you said, and I tend to regass with a blend that works nice for the system fomr a few different gasses, depending on the temps and noise that are ok with whoever is getting it.

I also add a dsh coil to help out a bit with the increased heatload.An upgraded condensor would be a better system, but there isn't always the budget for it, and a coil gives enough for the small increase in actual load.

So yeah, if a high load mod is what's wanted without getting into compressor replacement and all that, it's not a bad one to do.

Gray
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

OCTeamDenmark Founder Nosfer@tu's Avatar
    Asetek has an update to fix the Asus /775 problem.

I had mine updated at them, they even tried to charge me for the update :p Greedy bastards I say
    Former owner of OCTeamDenmark.com
    MSI MOTHERBOARD!!!!!!

Linkedin

Nice window Gray.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosfer@tu View Post
    Asetek has an update to fix the Asus /775 problem.

I had mine updated at them, they even tried to charge me for the update :p Greedy bastards I say
    I heard about that myself unbelievable. I guess that's how business works though

That window took me ages until I was happy with it, and delyed him getting it back too. He was pretty happy with the finish on the window, but he wasn't when I kept telling him 'I'm not happy with it yet'

The only reason I did that one was because it looked like it had been smashed with a hammer. I really don't like doing windows if I can help it

Cheers

Gray
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mole View Post
    I heard about that myself unbelievable. I guess that's how business works though

That window took me ages until I was happy with it, and delyed him getting it back too. He was pretty happy with the finish on the window, but he wasn't when I kept telling him 'I'm not happy with it yet'

The only reason I did that one was because it looked like it had been smashed with a hammer. I really don't like doing windows if I can help it

Cheers

Gray
    They can charge if it is a luxur update or if it was only to solve the Asus "problem"
    BUT COME ONE, I lived with that shiat controller for almost 1½ years where it NEVER worked above 250fsb wth the old 478 OR 775!

and you cant update it your self.

So what do they think! I say it is fraud charging users for an upgrade they OWE us!

I did the same thing with my old LS, just with very curved corners.
    MSI MOTHERBOARD!!!!!!

Linkedin

Xtreme Enthusiast
    nice work ,like the temps ,wouldnt mind getting mine done ,but i wouldnt know where to start . ive never had trouble with starting 775 boards . well if your ever in denmark ? your welcome over and rifine mine .
    Gigabyte X38T-DQ6/2x1gb xtreme/2x2900xt
    E6850@ 4500
    1000w psu/vapo Ls/2x74gb raptor raid.

Quote Originally Posted by vanovich View Post
    nice work ,like the temps ,wouldnt mind getting mine done ,but i wouldnt know where to start . ive never had trouble with starting 775 boards . well if your ever in denmark ? your welcome over and rifine mine .

Ivan, it will maximum cost you 50£ to send it to england
    MSI MOTHERBOARD!!!!!!

Linkedin