Thread: Dielectric grease - cleaning?

Dielectric grease - cleaning?

Hey guys, this may not be the best place for this thread, so mods please move if needed.

Ok, long story short I need to send my mobo back for RMA. The question is.... what's a good way to get the dielectric grease out of the socket?

I'll be forever indebted if you can guys can help

Xtreme Mentor
    If you used dielectric grease you violated the warranty thus have no right to be RMAing it!
    Bring back natural selection! No more warning lables!

The one and Only MG Pony

maybe carefully use a hairdryer to thin it out and then some warm/hot distilled water to rinse it away ? : ) (then obviously let dry for a decent amount of time)

just a guess...never tried it

Xtreme Addict
    If RMA'ing the board then you can just wash it with warm water.

Just avoid any stickers.

Xtreme Addict
    Oh, and nothing beats the humble toothbrush for getting in all those nooks and crannies.

Bottle Brushes are good too

-150c Club Member
    I don't see how di-electric grease would void your warranty, but the act of oc'ing and killing hardware, or the hardware dying due to condensation voids your warranty and you will most likely not get away with an RMA>

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I would fun your air compressor hose with isopropyl and blow it into the socket with an airgun. I have never tried this with a motherboard but i have used this method to clean cigarette yellow tar off amplifiers before.
    Last edited by ak_47_boy; 05-02-2007 at 12:57 PM.

Xtreme Mentor
    im not too sure if this will work or not, but i have heard using alcohol with a toothbrush?
    mentally confused and prone to wandering

Xtreme Member
    2 options i'm thinking

a) forced air extraction using an air compressor

b) orange cleaning oil (very thin running so will work into crevices) then use some isopropyl to clean up any residue

since the pin holes are small it shouldn't take much oil/alcohol to do the job, go over with some type of magnifying lens to check up on the work, the reason to use the ispropyl after is to a) remove any sugar residue of the oil (cause it's made with oranges) b) remove the orange scent cause those factory guys could get suspicious if the smell orange on your mobo ><

yeah, I'd probably just use some Iso Alcohol on a small brush to get ito the hard to reach areas :p

Xtreme Member
    http://www.autobarn.net/elcl45wtoz.html

CRC (or different brand) QD electronics cleaner. It will clean it right off dissolving the grease right off

Core 2 Duo E6400 l EVGA 680i A1 l Crucial Ballistix Tracer PC8500 l XFX 8800GTS l WD Caviar SE16 500gb l Tagen Turbojet U96 900w

Xtreme Member
    I have done it a few times latly ..
    I have used Shellite and a fine paintbrush..the one i stole of my daughter heheh....then dab it dry with a nice clean cloth...

If u try to use metho it will leave a nasty residue on the pcb board...still be carefull not to get it in any other spots than needed though...

i was worried myself as im a messy bugger with the socket area..if asked just say yer mate i went a bit wild on the cpu and before u know it it spread everry where....
    \
    good luck with the Rma
    Asus COMMANDO -Intel Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz 401x9 have sum test @ 445x9 4GHZ :-)
    2x74 Gig Raptors Raid 0..GSKILL 6400 2x1Mb matchd Pair.-OCZ 550w Powerstream adjustable rails- XE2 Vapochill -pioneer Dvd.-2x160 Gig Hitachi ide drives..-Asus 7600 gs video card

http://www.hwbot.org/user.do;jsessio...C3?userId=8636

thanks guys, you are the best!

I'll try the electronics cleaner first since I have some of that lying around. Didn't even think of it (duh). I use it mostly to get the oil crap off my MAF sensor, so dielectric grease should be no problem!

If that doesn't work I'll go the alcohol/toothbrush route

Thanks again!

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubiconx3 View Post
    http://www.autobarn.net/elcl45wtoz.html

CRC (or different brand) QD electronics cleaner. It will clean it right off dissolving the grease right off
    i've been told this before and spend ~$60 (4xdifferent sprays) only to find none of that works
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dinos22 View Post
    i've been told this before and spend ~$60 (4xdifferent sprays) only to find none of that works
    Then you magically have some sort of super grease.... ive run phase for years and used the same cleaner and its taken the grease off without any problems.

Core 2 Duo E6400 l EVGA 680i A1 l Crucial Ballistix Tracer PC8500 l XFX 8800GTS l WD Caviar SE16 500gb l Tagen Turbojet U96 900w

Xtreme Addict
    As a finishing touch, carefully inspect the area with a UV lamp as thin traces of grease/oil might still be present that are not visible to the naked eye. By inspecting the area using different colors of light, you may reveal an otherwise overlooked patch that might have been picked up by the manufacturer
    Current System Build
    Designaton:" Rad Hat "
      GPU: BFG 8800GTX | BFG 8600GT (Quad Monitor Setup)
    • Hard Drives:
      RAID: 2x 74GB Raptors on RAID 0 for OS Drives
    • Case and Power Supply:
      Case: Antec Case | PS: OCZ ProXstreame 1000W
    • Water Cooling:
      Pump: Swiftech MCP655-B | Rad: Dual Swiftech MCR320's | Fans: 6x Yate Loon D12SH-12's (W/ Variable RPM Rheostat) @ 88CFM Max Each - 528CFM Total!!!
    • (Water Blocks and Fittings):
      CPU: D-Tek Fusion Block | GPU: Danger Den Full Coverage 8800 Block | Mobo: EK's Mosfet, NorthBridge and SouthBridge Blocks
      Res: Swiftech Micro | Tee's: 4x MartinM's High Flow Copper Tee's | Elbow's: None | Y's: None
    Flow Order: >> Rad's 1 & 2 in parallel > Res > Pump > CPU > GPU > SB > NB > Mosfet 1 > Mosfet 2 >>
    Temperatures: CPU: 57°C Max, Running Prime95 | GPU: 58.3°C Max, Running 3Dmark | NorthBridge: Untested!
    Last Updated 11/11/09

Xtreme Mentor
    Next time you go to buy a board and the warranty costs extra or not even offered you'll know why

As an OEM builder I find this sort of thing reprehensible! giving tips to defraud the Manufacture and you wonder why they charge such high prices on hard ware and why there is hassles on getting warranties!
    Bring back natural selection! No more warning lables!

The one and Only MG Pony

why is it defrauding them? I don't know about other boards right now, but if it's a 680i SLI board, the manufacturers are encouraging overclocking and advertising that their boards have features specifically made for overclocking

(meanwhile nvidia/foxconn delivers a board with tons of defects and bad build quality, look at the evga boards for numerous examples...heck, they even offered RMAs to everyone wanting to correct an issue with overclocking on quad core chips)

We can't say he's defrauding them without knowing what happened to the board right? All we know is it has dielectric grease on it, which would not have caused damage in and of itself.

Go on over to evga.com...bottom of main page is 'Engineered for the Core 2 Duo Overclocker'

Xtreme Member
    Agreed. I've never heard of dielectic grease harming a motherboard. So if some component on the mobo failed that had nothing to do with the grease in the socket, I don't see how that voids the warranty. Now if I bent a pin in the socket while placing the grease I wouldn't feel right about asking for an RMA in that case. But if a cap springs a leak, you bet.

BTW, I have two pieces of advice on this matter. First test the solvent on a sample of the grease to see how well it works before using it on the motherboard. Second, test small areas of the motherboard (both the PCB and the plastic parts) to see if it attackes these materials or not.

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubiconx3 View Post
    Then you magically have some sort of super grease.... ive run phase for years and used the same cleaner and its taken the grease off without any problems.
    really

how do i find the equivalent one in australia???

can someone take some photos of the can and ingredients
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

Xtreme Legend
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

Xtreme Member

Well I guess some background is necessary at this point.

Bascially the uguru chip on my QuadGT borked and now the thing won't post (even tried replacement BIOS chip)

The rig was TEC cooled, but condensation was not the culprit.

So, no, I'm not trying to defraud Abit. In fact my intent is to do everything possible to get the board as close to brand new condition before I send it back.