Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Direct Die AMD Watercooling

Xtreme Relic
    Originally posted by docyt
    ive also heard after prolonged use the chip will eventualy absorb the water. and i beleive theres a thed someware about using a spray style block.

Yeah.....antipops link goes to a spray design for pentium and chip's entire surface will be water proofed...it may wear off sooner or later...I'm not really concerned with it lasting forever. If it wears off and kills the chip, then I have learned how long it can be expected to last.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson (1939 - 2005)

Xtremely Pale
    Last edited by DR. YT; 06-11-2003 at 04:30 AM.

Xtreme Relic
    Some good links there.

However some of those guys seem to be making this way too hard. I am not aiming for a pressurized evap type system...it presents way to many problems without benefits, in my opinion.
    KISS...keep it simple , stupid is my approach.
    I want a conventional water delivery setup without spray nozzels. The one guy who designed his block so that only the die was exposed has a great block design, but much too complicated delivery system. They all did great jobs and have some really nice looking blocks.

I plan to flow -27c water directly over the entire chip. In all the articles and posts I have seen so far, no one has done exactly what I plan. Maybe there are good reasons for that, we will see. Right now...I am begging a major company for samples of an experimental cooling liquid to use for this. They have shown an interest and may give me some to try as long as I do not reveal any info about the liquid until they say it's OK. That would be great!
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    afaik they only got average temps... about 25-30°C

i still think that the die is just too small to loose all the heat on its own. direct die phase change would surely work great

Xtreme Member
    direct die would work much better on a P4 chip
    it's also got overheating protection + easier to RMA when burnt

Xtreme Relic
    First, let me thank those of you that have posted positive posts...even if you stated that you don't think it will work, but also posted links or backed up your statements with facts.
    A special thanks to those, like my very able friend Bowman, who has encouraged and helped me, both with information and positive statements.
    And for those of you who just think it's a stupid idea or say it can't or shouldn't be done on an AMD. Thank you also, as you just make me more determined than ever to do it.

Xtreme Addict
    OK you know i will stand behind you 100%.

but let me show everyone something.i was going to bid on this earier but i will be nice and post is to just show that this direct die block( A Tom Luefkin Direct water injection Cool Water Block)made long ago.but here you go take a look.
    i am sure someone from here will win this item.

i thought this might give you some more positive feed back...POP's

ebay item

Xtremely slow runner
    Originally posted by TheDude
    Thank you also, as you just make me more determined than ever to do it.
    Go Dude show us the way, if you need to be more determined i'll say that you can do it
    The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

Av by Frisch This is not a Lime tree

Xtreme X.I.P.
    :thumbsup: GO DUDE GOOOOOOOO:thumbsup:

whooohoooooooooooooo

youll do it! and itll run nice!

Xtreme Relic
    Thanks guys.

Bowman, that is the exact waterblock that I have, but it had a peltier under it. As far as I know he didn't use it directly on the chip. The Ebay auction suggests that it's for direct die, but mine and all the ones I have ever seen until this one, had a peltier under them. I think I will try to bid it just for that one block as mine has a bad chip on the edge where I pryed it off the peltier.

A company makes a block for direct die cooling some info HERE
    From what I have read it works perfectly
    the only problem is that the chip does not last very long
    as the DIE absorbs water and... well... it dies!
    Here is an other LINK you mite find interesting
    and a lot more talk on this subject HERE
    Good Luck Dude
    Last edited by roblae; 07-11-2003 at 10:08 AM.

AMD AthlonXP 2400+@14X166
    Asus A7V333
    ATI Radeon9700pro
    Performance Cooled by D-Tek & Danger Den

Xtreme Relic
    roblae,

Fasinating link! I had no idea when this started that so much had been done already. Reading about others success and failures helps very much and gives me a huge head start. Thanks

Xtreme Member
    Best of luck to you Dude

Even if it doesn't work (I think it will.. even if it's not a whole lot better than just a regular waterblock) it will be a learning experience for all of us. Keep us updated!

btw what processor are you using? looks like a tbird
    Last edited by TerroH8er; 06-11-2003 at 02:42 PM.
    AMD Phenom II 1090T @ 4GHz
    MSI 890FXA-GD70
    4GB G.Skill PI DDR3 1600 C6
    OCZ Agility 2 60GB
    Visiontek Radeon 5850
    Antec Nine Hundred

Watercooling:
    Enzotech Sapphire Rev.A
    Swiftech MCW80 + 5850 heatsink
    Swiftech MCP655
    Swiftech MCR320

Xtreme Relic
    That's a dead 2000 I stuck in for size reference....Haven't decided yet....thinking about an xp2700 I have or maybe 1.5v 1700.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    1700 just in case something goes wrong!

Xtreme Relic
    Actually...I would rather risk my xp2700 than my 2 xp1700s...one does 2800 and the other 2900+

Xtreme X.I.P.
    heheheh well then use that 2700 if you loose it get another 1700 (i bet itll do 3000+ )

hey, if you ever want to get rid of one of those 1700s please pm me

Xtreme Relic
    If I find one that does 3+....I might consider letting one go, You can imagine how many chips I went thru before I found 2 good ones.

Xtreme Member
    Maybe a little late,(and i also hope no one else has already given this link) but here's another link. I saw it last month on a belgian forum, i actually haven't read it yet (exams ) but it might be usefull. Anyway, good luck with it!!
    Abit nf7-s rev2.0 || Barton 2500+@11x227 || 2x512 Geil pc3500 ultra || Gf3 ti200@270/525

Xtreme Relic
    Tettejaak,

Great article, thanks very much! This is great guys, keep em coming!

I talked to the President of the company I mentioned earlier (via email) again, and he is definately sending me some of their experimental heat transfer oil! He sounds like a really cool guy and pretty Xtreme. He said to give him a call today about collaborating on a project. Needless to say, I am pretty pumped that he would take the time to talk to me and give me his personal cell number! I sent a link to the site a few days ago, he must have liked it.

Xtremely slow runner
    That's great Dude tell us how it performs against water
    BTW i've an idea for your next mod, you could drop you mobo into an aquarium filled by oil, i've heard someone tried it and it worked great and you could do some french fries at the same time (last part is a joke but the rest is serious)
    The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

Xtreme Relic
    Yeah, I've seen that too....already considered trying it if I can get enough oil....the stuff ain't cheap.

Xtremely slow runner
    You're always first on the xtreme stuff

Xtreme X.I.P.
    wow that guy convinced me that direct die is worth it if you do it right.
    mind sending me a copy of that email dude?

whats your plan so far? with that oil you wont have to worry that much about sealing the core. cool, i must admit i didnt think that it could be a success until now, just wanted to support you but this guy got great results, with some magic oil you might even get better results!

Xtreme Relic
    Antipop,

I wish I was always first with xtreme stuff...in fact I am never first, the direct die has been done before and so has the totally submerged in oil mobo.

saaya,

If you are referring to the mail about the oil, I cannot send you a copy or publish on the forum...sorry. His company has spent a lot of time and money developing it and it is not ready for public release yet. By disclosing any specific info about it at this time, or sharing a confidential e-mail, my relationship with him would be finished real quick.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast