Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Direct Die AMD Watercooling

Xtreme Relic

Direct Die AMD Watercooling

Someone in another thread mentioned the possiblity of direct die watercooling (think it was PimpJack). Anyhow...couldn't stop thinking about it. I have some old gear lying around and think I will try it just to see what happens. I would think (if it works) that it would offer much better cooling. As long as everything is sealed good and tight with heat resistant gasket material, I don't see why it would not work? Here's a pic of what I will try:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	directchipcool.jpg 
Views:	1092 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	1271  
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson (1939 - 2005)

Xtreme Member
    Last edited by wdd1040; 03-04-2012 at 03:43 PM.

hwbot crew
    uhm, you're going to watercool the entire cpu surfance? I think that will shortcircuit the bridges and components on top. The previous direct die coolers i've seen only cooled the die itself.
    HTPC (win xp): Turion MT-30 @ 2Ghz | NF4 | XFX 7900GT | 26" TFT
    Development (mac osx): Macbook Pro | Core Duo 1.86Ghz | 1.5GB DDR2

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Hey The Dude good luck !

Like RichBa5tard said, all of the direct die cooling I've seen only put water on the die, and not the chip itself. Maybe if you find something "permenant" to protect the traces and components on the top of the chip you rig will work. Maybe a liberal application of RTV silicon might stay in place and keep it dry.

Also direct die cooling requires a very high flow rate due to the small surface area.
    24/7 Work & Play Rig
    Gigabyte X58A-UD5, i7 920 @ 4.56ghz 1.48v 21x217, G.Skill PI 12Gb 8-8-8-24-1T 1.56V @ 1736Mhz
    EK Supreme HF P1, Dual EK DCP 4.0 Pumps and EK Res, XSPC RX360 & RX240 w/ 1850rpm GT's
    Sapphire HD 4870 1Gb @ 810/1020mhz, 2x Dell 2407, 2x 1Tb WD Black SATA3, 2x 2Tb Hitachi 7k2000
    Cooler Master ATCS 840, Corsair 750TX PSU, running OSX 10.6.3 & Win 7 64

Xtreme Addict
    good luck my friend....i have seen it done.it works pretty well.the angle of water inlet should keep the coolant forced on the die itself.
    now be sure to remove all the oils from the cpu and then spray the top with spray clear paint to seal of the pores.then remove the paint from the die itself with paint thinner or something.sometimes it will get hot at first (on the top of the die)and peal off the paint impairing the coolant hitting the die.
    then use a non hardening adhesive.the best i have seen it marine goop,sold at lowes ,walmart,etc.
    this stuff is fully water proof,but will not tear when you pull on it like silicone will.i have streched a small piece before like a rubber band.it is awsome.that is the stuff i used to seal the temp probe in the top of your chiller tank.

good luck..it will work..

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Awsome DUDE! I'm glad u will explore direct die. Take a look at procooling's forum (water/phase change cooling) and you will see some cool ways of using direct die cooling. I don't think anyone has done it on AMD so u will be the first in my book. P4's seem to be easier since they don't have any traces. If u seal the "block" tight I wouldn't worry about killing the cpu as long as traces are sealed. Also do keep the water stream close and directly on the die. Good luck and keep us posted.
    xp2100+@2550mhz 2.03v 210fsb
    Abit nf7-s v1.2
    ATI R9700
    2x512mb Cprsair pc3500 c2
    Dual Channel!!!!!WOOT
    SATA raid on 80gig maxtors
    highest 3dmark 19300
    3dmark2k1

Xtreme Relic
    Thanks for all the great input and tips guys! Like I said...it's going to all be gear that I can afford to screw up if it happens. We shall see.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Xtremely slow runner
    Here what some guy made ome while ago
    http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=513957
    I know it's [h] but the guy did made a good job
    The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

Av by Frisch This is not a Lime tree

Xtreme Relic
    Nice long link Antipop...I will read it all...should be some good info in there. Well, I had never heard of anyone doing it before, guess I should have known better! I don't think I have ever had an original thought in my life! Still going to do it tho...mine will be different than his. His is a P4...maybe I will have the 1st AMD as PimpJack says?

Bowman...good tips all my friend, but especially the marine goop...I was wondering what to use that would be up to the job. I do plan to cool the entire surface, sealing all the traces and as Bowman suggested sealing entire surface first. I imagine it will take some experimenting to get the flow and pressure just right. I will prep a dead chip first for practice before risking a good one. It should take some time to complete along with everything else going on in my life, but I will post any progress ( or failures).

Xtremely slow runner
    In fact when i search the forum, i found some other thread about direct die cooling but i didn't read them, i just remebered that one. Try to search for direct-die
    You should find something that will seal the bridge and don't risk to be removed by the pressure of the water. Keep us informed on how it goes
    The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Go for it Dude!!

Lets see what the results are from it!

"There is only one thing better than having a linebacker in your office, and thats having two linebackers in your office"
    12.7Ghz folding for XtremeSystems

Xtreme X.I.P.
    i dont think itll work very well since the cpus surface is really small.

good luck nevertheless !

Xtreme Addict
    Actually, I've read about this being done a while back. In fact, one watercooling company sold blocks specifically for direct die AMD watercooling. Things to remember though, are to make sure you use something to cover up the CPU surface other than the die itself... to make sure you don't short out any of the bridges or whatever. Second thing is that eventually the CPU will erode away, and will stop working, but you get good performance up until that happens .
    AXP1700+ JIUHB 0302 @ 2400MHz - TEC-Watercooled in The Skyscraper
    ABIT NF7-S , Sapphire Radeon 9500 Pro, 1.5GB XMS3200C2

XS IRC channel: irc.quakenet.net #xtremesystems
    www.ocfaq.com

Xtreme Relic
    Originally posted by saaya
    i dont think itll work very well since the cpus surface is really small.

good luck nevertheless !
    True the surface is small, but consider that you are not trying to transfer heat thru a block and thermal grease but directly into the water. If I can get everything right, it should cool better than a block.
    And I realize all the bridges and traces have to be and stay sealed. The water may erode the chip after a while, but I imagine that would take a very long time. Anyway...this is all just for fun.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    I wonder how much room there is too play with on the die, maybe drill some small dimples in the surface of the die? hehe
    24/7 Work & Play Rig
    Gigabyte X58A-UD5, i7 920 @ 4.56ghz 1.48v 21x217, G.Skill PI 12Gb 8-8-8-24-1T 1.56V @ 1736Mhz
    EK Supreme HF P1, Dual EK DCP 4.0 Pumps and EK Res, XSPC RX360 & RX240 w/ 1850rpm GT's
    Sapphire HD 4870 1Gb @ 810/1020mhz, 2x Dell 2407, 2x 1Tb WD Black SATA3, 2x 2Tb Hitachi 7k2000

Xtreme Relic
    Originally posted by Major Slaughter
    I wonder how much room there is too play with on the die, maybe drill some small dimples in the surface of the die? hehe
    I think it would crack pretty easy.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Anyway...this is all just for fun.
    hehehe yeah thats true, if you loose a chip just get a new 1700+ for 40$, that probably even ocs higher than the other one you just lost... i LOVE amd

Why don't you glue an small heatsink (ramsink?) on your core, I think that would improve performance a lot!
    <FONT size="2">
    AXP 1700+ TBred A@200*9.5
    ASUS A7N8X-DX Full Vmoded
    512MB OCZ PC3500-EL
    Good ol'GF3 Ti200@250/480 Vmoded
    Powercolor RAD7000PCI DDED
    WD800JB+MAXTOR20go
    ANTEC 350W
    Viewsonic P95F+ & VP171B
    </FONT>

Xtreme Relic
    Originally posted by NoFuture
    Why don't you glue an small heatsink (ramsink?) on your core, I think that would improve performance a lot!
    Actually....I was thinking of trying something along those lines...something like that would produce some turbulence with the fins. I tend to think that just a direct flow over the die itself will prove best. I want to try it without anything first to see how it does, but that's a good idea. I might stick one on there to see if there is an improvement. That would mean using 2 chips instead of one because I doubt I will be able to separate the chip from the top block without damaging it. That means also that I need two identical chips to judge any improvement. The cost just doubled.

Xtreme Member
    You're absolutely insane, and I mean that in a good way

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Originally posted by k1114
    You're absolutely insane, and I mean that in a good way
    I agree, In a good way !
    24/7 Work & Play Rig

This is something thats been done before. Ive seen it quite a bit actually when I first started looking into water cooling. Its been some time since its been really looked into though, to many possible drawbacks from it. Cant recall all exactly.?

Ok, first thing I can say that folks would use clear finger nail polish on the bridges. Beautiful sealent. Thin, but still worked.
    I dont think that anyone would actually put something on the die itself. Water would go directly onto it. Nothing to inhibit heat removal from the die to the water.
    The biggest drawback I recall folks had with direct die cooling is that it was so difficult to attach the "block" to the CPU itself. Very hard to attach.

Now, this is something I had actually started thinking about a lil bit off and on recently. One thing I think would really help with it would be to use a type of setup like Cathars new design with the Cascade. Use the jet style spray to hit directly on the die itself.

Def something Im gonna watch here.

Xtremely slow runner
    Dude, you'll also want to start the water before the comp, otherwise you'll just burn the chip
    The heatsink is not a really good idea IMHO. Direct water would be more efficient

Xtreme Relic
    Dude, you'll also want to start the water before the comp, otherwise you'll just burn the chip
    I will try to remember that one

Xtremely Pale
    ive also heard after prolonged use the chip will eventualy absorb the water. and i beleive theres a thed someware about using a spray style block.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast