Thread: "Grow up" grow-uppers!

Xtreme Member

"Grow up" grow-uppers!

What is this trend of the usage of "grow up" as the current commanding insult du jour? I'm seeing this used all too frequently as a rebuke against any statement or argument with which one would disagree or see silenced. "Get a life" has fallen out of fashion as a result of the complete and obvious irony at directing such an insult at a forum of several thousand technofans from just about every country on the planet who spend significantly more hours of their existence with machines than with actual breathing, thinking human beings. However, due to the vast and myriad ranges of physical age and maturity levels "grow up" might be an even poorer choice of quick-draw rebuke.

The true irony: In virtually every instance that I've witnessed its usage in this or any other forum, its serves as a clarion indicator of the lack of maturity of the employer, regardless of the opinion he's attacking. The command is usually found as the oh so witty punctuating phrase in a whopping three line discourse of shorthand espousing how much a particular person, place, thing, product, idea, etc "sux0rs" or similar abbreviated poor attempt at diatribe. Additionally, it is most commonly used by native English speakers who haven't yet mastered written correspondence with the English language. One of the final indicators that the voice of rebuke contains massive quantities of bovine refuse would be the presence of a banana chorus line populating the post. As if one could take advice to "grow up" seriously when accompanied by a mob of entirely-too-happy disco fruit.

It would appear that every mean-spirited, cat tail pulling, mentally-diminutive, pimply-faced, prepubescent clown (no offense to the well behaved pimply-faced, prepubescent clowns amongst us who will hopefully mature into well behaved post pubescent clowns sans pimples) out there whips this phrase out of his a$$ in a reflexive, knee-jerk response without the consideration that some of us have been down that "grown up" road and have earned the right to indulge our less mature whims, if immature they may be, from time-to-time. This is why were the grown ups and they are not.

Come on guys. If most of us were to take your advice to heart we wouldn't find ourselves in a forum devoted to discussions about playing with and hot-rodding overpriced toys in order to play the latest games, to brag to our buddies, or compensate for our diminutive sausages. Rather we'd be involved in pursuits that society at-large perceives as more "mature and responsible" while perpetrating unspeakably socially irresponsible acts upon our fellow man and the opposite sex.

So when you whip this phrase out of your comprehensive lexicon of four or five one syllable insults, especially without any real provocation, you really are making yourself look like a complete a$$ and it is only by virtue of the decorum and maturity of those around you that you have not been ridiculed.

Now I'm going to wait for some in a with a and a to tell me to "grow up"!
    Last edited by grudgelord; 04-21-2007 at 10:23 AM.
    Look at the tyranny of party--at what is called party allegiance, party loyalty--a snare invented by designing men for selfish purposes--and which turns voters into chattles, slaves, rabbits, and all the while their masters, and they themselves are shouting rubbish about liberty, independence, freedom of opinion, freedom of speech, honestly unconscious of the fantastic contradiction; and forgetting or ignoring that their fathers and the churches shouted the same blasphemies a generation earlier when they were closing their doors against the hunted slave, beating his handful of humane defenders with Bible texts and billies, and pocketing the insults and licking the shoes of his Southern master.
    --Mark Twain, The Character of Man

Quote Originally Posted by nn_step View Post
    One would think your sense of freedom and liberty would not become more narrow as time goes along. Like the frog in the pot that is slowly boiling, just because it isn't instantly hot doesn't mean you wont cook alive...

Xtreme Addict
    Grow up. J/K

I'm sure you have grown up. I just like to read posts and not make too many. It is just funny to read what people have to say.
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ Intel i7 3770k
    ░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░ ASUS GTX680
    ░░░░░░█░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▀▀▄░░░░░ ASUS Maximun V Gene
    ░░░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░░█░░░░ Mushkin 8GB Blackline
    ░░░░█░░░░░░▄██▀▄▄░░░░░▄▄▄░░░█░░░░ Crucial M4 256GB
    ░░░▀▒▄▄▄▒░█▀▀▀▀▄▄█░░░██▄▄█░░░█░░░ Hitachi Deskstar 2TB x2
    ░░█▒█▒▄░▀▄▄▄▀░░░░░░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒▒█░░ FSP 750W Gold
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ Fractal Arc Mini

Xtreme Member
    Nice! The internet is a weird thing. I mean really;where in real life does a 55 year old get told to "grow up" by a 15 year old. I have seen this lots of times on forums.
    Last edited by oicurafox2000; 04-21-2007 at 10:31 AM.

Muslim Overclocker
    Welcome to the internets.

My watercooling experience

Water
    Scythe Gentle Typhoons 120mm 1850RPM
    Thermochill PA120.3 Radiator
    Enzotech Sapphire Rev.A CPU Block
    Laing DDC 3.2
    XSPC Dual Pump Reservoir
    Primochill Pro LRT Red 1/2"
    Bitspower fittings + water temp sensor

Rig
    E8400 | 4GB HyperX PC8500 | Corsair HX620W | ATI HD4870 512MB

I see what I see, and you see what you see. I can't make you see what I see, but I can tell you what I see is not what you see. Truth is, we see what we want to see, and what we want to see is what those around us see. And what we don't see is... well, conspiracies.

Xtreme CCIE
    I don't know, I have seen a number of times here when I thought the best response really was to say "Grow Up". I believe it's honestly a good reply sometimes, given the age of many of the people here.

As an example, I was recently in a debate with someone here and I made my argument about something. Now, had he retaliated with his own point, or stated that I was making a false generalization, or something like that, that would be fine. I hope for such things, that's how we grow. But this fellow decided instead to criticize my sentence structure and claim that he did not need to make an opposing point or any such thing because I had committed a fallacy in my argument (attacking the arguments structure rather than the actual argument itself). I pointed out I had in fact not, and reduced the length of words on my post for improved clarity, be he again just said "FALLACY, THEREFORE NO". I pointed out why, in detail, I had not committed a fallacy, and yes, at one point I told him to grow up. And you know what? I stand behind that. Doubly so when after I explained why he was using the word fallacy incorrectly he came back at me with some asinine comment along the lines of "So where do your statistical data exist, in the realm of hyperbole?" (and please keep in mind, I was quoting statistics so well known it's akin to saying "Most people are born with 10 toes" and so hadn't bothered to provide a link... some things you just have to take as a given).

When one has an opposing view to something but cannot come up with an argument for their side in any way/shape/form and instead does something like attack a persons sentence structure, race, ethnicity, etc and uses that as their only argument it shows a clear lack of maturity, and the correct response to that is to tell someone to *drum roll* grow up.
    Last edited by Serra; 04-21-2007 at 12:21 PM.
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

Xtreme Cruncher
    No way I'm reading all that.

P.S. Grow up, ya punk kid.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Grow up. J/K

I'm sure you have grown up. I just like to read posts and not make too many. It is just funny to read what people have to say.
    Why you in a with a !!! Lol!

I don't really make claims to be all that mature, a fact of which I'm rather proud. I'm just pointing out the irony at demanding that other's grow up when one hasn't even paid taxes yet.

I don't blame you for wanting to stay clear of the "mosh pit", I usually keep my mouth shut as well and watch as others rip each other apart but I've been trying to participate more. I keep expecting some trolling punk to do a drive by posting on me.

It can be quite entertaining to watch what some people post until...

--begin excessive seriousness--
    Not that I want to get too serious about the issue but, used to be that the forums where a medium for the exchange of ideas and people treated one another with courtesy. Care with words was practiced due to the lack auditory and visual feedback. A flame was only an occasional incident and usually a result of miscommunication.

Now, too many individuals troll forums looking for a fight. These individuals are easy to pick out as they refuse to back away from a "discussion" until they win or, at the very least, put a dent in the credibility of their opponent (A few individuals come to mind; real fun to watch them go at each other). Flamage is a more than common occurance and people have become reluctant to participate, share their knowledge and ideas or even ask questions because a few self righteous, self centric, superior, elitist a$$holes! This is supposed to be an environment for learning. You can't learn from dicks! (expletives chosen for aproposity and effect)

I saw a post not long ago from a Legend remarking about how rude people have become on the forums.
    --end of excessive seriousness--

Now *I'm* the one who needs to grow up and quit being so damn sensitive about the matter. I think I'll go play with my dollies!

Quote Originally Posted by oicaurafoxx2000
    I mean really;where in real life does a 55 year old get told to "grow up" by a 15 year old.
    Yea, that's rich and is also a large part of my point. To me that's the 15 year old kid saying, "Beat it you old codger! Go do some fishing, we're not interested in your 40 years of engineering expertise. It's meaningless against my 6 months of playing with a CAD/CAM! and Unreal Tournament, noob!"

I guess that's the problem. Everyone thinks they are right and no one else could possibly contribute an idea that isn't "learned and mature". But if that's the case then why even come to the forums.

Bah! This is getting to sober for me. Back to the dancing bananas and my dollies!
    Last edited by grudgelord; 04-21-2007 at 12:34 PM.
    Look at the tyranny of party--at what is called party allegiance, party loyalty--a snare invented by designing men for selfish purposes--and which turns voters into chattles, slaves, rabbits, and all the while their masters, and they themselves are shouting rubbish about liberty, independence, freedom of opinion, freedom of speech, honestly unconscious of the fantastic contradiction; and forgetting or ignoring that their fathers and the churches shouted the same blasphemies a generation earlier when they were closing their doors against the hunted slave, beating his handful of humane defenders with Bible texts and billies, and pocketing the insults and licking the shoes of his Southern master.

One would think your sense of freedom and liberty would not become more narrow as time goes along. Like the frog in the pot that is slowly boiling, just because it isn't instantly hot doesn't mean you wont cook alive...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Serra View Post
    I don't know, I have seen a number of times here when I thought the best response really was to say "Grow Up". I believe it's honestly a good reply sometimes, given the age of many of the people here.

As an example, I was recently in a debate with someone here and I made my argument about something. Now, had he retaliated with his own point, or stated that I was making a false generalization, or something like that, that would be fine. I hope for such things, that's how we grow. But this fellow decided instead to criticize my sentence structure and claim that he did not need to make an opposing point or any such thing because I had committed a fallacy in my argument (attacking the arguments structure rather than the actual argument itself). I pointed out I had in fact not, and reduced the length of words on my post for improved clarity, be he again just said "FALLACY, THEREFORE NO". I pointed out why, in detail, I had not committed a fallacy, and yes, at one point I told him to grow up. And you know what? I stand behind that. Doubly so when after I explained why he was using the word fallacy incorrectly he came back at me with some asinine comment along the lines of "So where do your statistical data exist, in the realm of hyperbole?" (and please keep in mind, I was quoting statistics so well known it's akin to saying "Most people are born with 10 toes" and so hadn't bothered to provide a link... some things you just have to take as a given).

When one has an opposing view to something but cannot come up with an argument for their side in any way/shape/form and instead does something like attack a persons sentence structure, race, ethnicity, etc and uses that as their only argument it shows a clear lack of maturity, and the correct response to that is to tell someone to *drum roll* grow up.
    I believe you and I were both told to drop this, if you feel some need to prove your point beyond that, I suppose it says something about your argument in the first place.

Common sense is one thing, but the statement you made requires substantiation. I don't expect you to cite sources on that matter, it would be ridiculous if I thought they existed, but that's the beauty of your statistical data, isn't it? There's absolutely no interest in conducting an actual study on the subject.
    Don't race him, Jake! He has upper motor parts by Lingenfelter!

Xtreme Cruncher
    ugh, I couldn't agree more. However, the internet is a place where not only immature people can tell others to grow up, but where lots of other things can happen. Such as...saying shut up to a 60 year old?
    Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - Core i5 2410m, 4gb
    waiting on 28nm video cards...

Xtreme CCIE
    Quote Originally Posted by coyotetu View Post
    I believe you and I were both told to drop this, if you feel some need to prove your point beyond that, I suppose it says something about your argument in the first place.

Common sense is one thing, but the statement you made requires substantiation. I don't expect you to cite sources on that matter, it would be ridiculous if I thought they existed, but that's the beauty of your statistical data, isn't it? There's absolutely no interest in conducting an actual study on the subject.
    I won't go pursueing the subject matter of the arguement in question becase we were told to drop it - feel free to PM me and we'll have it out there if you like. I didn't say what forum it was, what the topic was, who the other person was or anything. You're the one who wanted to jump in and say "hey, that was me". I was making the point that it is sometimes worth while to say "grow up", and I feel that was a prime example of a good time to use the statement (names/threads omitted).
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
    No way I'm reading all that.

P.S. Grow up, ya punk kid.
    BTW: I've been meaning tell you: Get rid of that damn avatar! Get rid of it! It scares me every time one of your posts pops up and I'm starting to have nightmares about it!

Get something less scary, like a picture of chupacabra eating small children or something.

Quote Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
    ugh, I couldn't agree more. However, the internet is a place where not only immature people can tell others to grow up, but where lots of other things can happen. Such as...saying shut up to a 60 year old?
    Serialk11r, unless I'm mistaken, you are a teenager aren't you? I've been meaning to remark that, even though you get fired up occasionally (don't we all) it impresses me that you are generally better behaved than most of the adults I know personally.

Also, I've been meaning to compliment your on your written communication skills and how you seem to have this fixation on numbers. I can appreciate that. Good work dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Roflmao View Post
    you were totaly wasted when you wrote that werent you grudgelord?
    No, but I was in the process of waking up so I guess it's not much different.

I really try to refrain from posting under the influence. I either end up telling to whole damn world to do undignified things to themselves or I tell a bunch of bozos I can't stand how much I love them.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by grudgelord View Post
    BTW: I've been meaning tell you: Get rid of that damn avatar! Get rid of it! It scares me every time one of your posts pops up and I'm starting to have nightmares about it!

Get something less scary, like a picture of chupacabra eating small children or something.
    Hey, it's an extreme avatar I made to express my xtremeness.

Last edited by Cracker; 04-21-2007 at 08:08 PM.
    Join the XtremeSystems WCG crunching team!
    Register and download the program here.
    Choose the "BOINC" version when prompted then install.
    Questions? Click here or here.
    It's for great causes like CURING CANCER, MS, AIDS, and other stuff you should hope you never get.
    Plus it's the best system stability test ever invented!

I am Xtreme
    This thread is useless, grow up.
    Phenom II 940 BE / ASUS M4A79 / HD5770 Crossfire
    3770mhz CPU 2600mhz NB | DDR1040 5-5-5-15 | 900/1250

Xtreme Member
    It's the internet, where the men are women, men are men, and the children are FBI
    Waiting for Crysis

Xtreme Enthusiast
    pretend internet grown ups are the new pretend internet drunks

"omgwtf I am so driunkssssssssssss" == drunk

"I have kids older than you so grow up" == adult

Muslim Overclocker
    Quote Originally Posted by Special_K View Post
    "I have kids older than you so grow up" == adult
    No, thats a 14 year old boy

My watercooling experience

Water
    Scythe Gentle Typhoons 120mm 1850RPM
    Thermochill PA120.3 Radiator
    Enzotech Sapphire Rev.A CPU Block
    Laing DDC 3.2
    XSPC Dual Pump Reservoir
    Primochill Pro LRT Red 1/2"
    Bitspower fittings + water temp sensor

Rig
    E8400 | 4GB HyperX PC8500 | Corsair HX620W | ATI HD4870 512MB

I see what I see, and you see what you see. I can't make you see what I see, but I can tell you what I see is not what you see. Truth is, we see what we want to see, and what we want to see is what those around us see. And what we don't see is... well, conspiracies.

Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by grudgelord View Post
    ...I saw a post not long ago from a Legend remarking about how rude people have become on the forums.
    thats funny...because there is a legend right here who does little but post flamebait

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by flytek View Post
    thats funny...because there is a legend right here who does little but post flamebait
    Legend? Who?

Champion
    mentioning the name would constitute a personal attack....also i have learnt not to bring myself down to their level

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by flytek View Post
    mentioning the name would constitute a personal attack....also i have learnt not to bring myself down to their level
    Ah I think I know

well instead of "grow up" why dont you substitute: "get older"

two meaningless statements that are synoymous in their meaninglessness, and add nothing to a conversation.
    i7 3610QM 1.2-3.2GHz