Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $185 Gaming CPU's: AMD 5600+ Versus Intel E6300

Xtreme Addict

$185 Gaming CPU's: AMD 5600+ Versus Intel E6300

Seems like AMD's prices are going to keep things in check for few weeks until either Intel lowers its prices or Agena comes along.

TAMGc5: PhII X4 945, Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD3P, 2x Kingston PC2-6400 HyperX CL4 2GB, 2x ASUS HD 5770 CUcore Xfire, Razer Barracuda AC1, Win8 Pro x64 (Current)

TAMGc6: AMD FX, Gigabyte GA-xxxx-UDx, 8GB/16GB DDR3, Nvidia 680 GTX, ASUS Xonar, 2x 120/160GB SSD, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6Gb/s, Win8 Pro x64 (Planned)

Xtreme Addict
    Its all about time when conroe fanboys will blow out this topic saying conroe clocks better. AMD is doing great with K8 prices. But ill wait for K10.

Xtreme Addict
    This is not a good thread and needs to be closed. You need to do a search and see how many of these types of threads there are.This is just an accident waiting to happen.

I just built 2 SFF with the best mATX Abit mbs. Both are clocked at 3.0. The only difference in cost in the two rigs was the AMD had a $65 3600 and the Intel had a $125 4300. In gaming there is no comparing them. Why keep starting threads to try and justify K8? I have both so I am not a fan boy.

World + dog knows that until K10 is out that there really is no comparing K8 to c2d. Stock numbers are for other forums, not XS. If you only run stock then why hang out at an oc'ing forum.

There is nothing wrong with only wanting to use AMD but you can't make your old weather beaten girlfriend compete with a good looking 18 year old. When K8 was 18 years old she was a real beauty.

Xtreme Member
    Yes the 5600+ is the better choice for someone who doesn't overclock...but how many people here don't overclock?

The E6300 is clocked at 1.83ghz and the X2 5600+ at 2.6ghz. Both chips will hit 3ghz+ and at those speeds the 6300 will be much faster.
    Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P//Dell Latitude D620
    Phenom II BE 940//Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz
    2x2GB OCZ Reaper//1GB PC5400
    640GB WD Blue//80gb 7200 rpm hdd
    Radeon 4850//Geforce 7300 Go

Xtreme Member
    prospekt Veteranov, Saint-Petersburg, Russia
    for most people amd is the best choice now (and not only now)

i don't remember the times when intel's cpu with equal performance level was cheaper than amd's one

Xtreme Member
    prospekt Veteranov, Saint-Petersburg, Russia
    Quote Originally Posted by funnyperson1 View Post
    Both chips will hit 3ghz+ and at those speeds the 6300 will be much faster.
    20 per cent is much faster?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dogsx2 View Post
    I just built 2 SFF with the best mATX Abit mbs. Both are clocked at 3.0. The only difference in cost in the two rigs was the AMD had a $65 3600 and the Intel had a $125 4300. In gaming there is no comparing them. Why keep starting threads to try and justify K8? I have both so I am not a fan boy.

I understand what you're saying, I spent months planning a Conroe build and yeah, the difference between $125 and $65 isn't THAT much when the Conroe is obviously a good bit faster. However what swung me was the mobo difference, I can get a kick butt 590 board with all of the options I'll ever need and then some for $100. On the Intel side, that barely buys a bottom rung 965 board, a comperable Intel board is ~$50 more. So the $50 CPU difference and $50 mobo difference equals a significantly larger budget for a video card, and those are what really matter in games anway.

Xtreme Member

yeap

thats exactly how I looked at it. A 3600+ x2 brissy + a good am2 board is cheaper and when combo'd up with an 8800gts is a very good gaming rig compared with a similarly priced intel rig.

Xtreme Member
    it's very true intel mobos are too expensive for that i agree, intel chipsets are too expensive (that said when i look to the price of intel based 680 chipset ... uhuh)

problem is tomorow you'll have a E6420 for 183$, intel price drop announced for months date 22 april.

so well ok it's the best choice for 15 days, but clever people would have waited for the 6320, 6420 (that one will be the new king i guess with the X8 and 4Mb cache ) and the price drops on the other products.
    Core i7 2700k@4,8ghz HT off- 1.41v / Gainward GTX580 GooD 850/1700/2200 / 2X4Gb G.Skill Ares 1833C9 / Z77 Sabertooth / Crucial M4 64 Gb / WD 320Gb and 640GB / Corsair H80 / Corsair 620 HX

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by herderien View Post
    so well ok it's the best choice for 15 days, but clever people would have waited for the 6320, 6420 (that one will be the new king i guess with the X8 and 4Mb cache ) and the price drops on the other products.
    Waiting isn't clever, waiting is something you can do 365 days out of the year when you're buying computer parts. If you really want the best deal and the best performance for more than 2 weeks, you're never going to buy anything.

As for the 6420, yeah it's nice but for $140 more than I what I paid for the X2 that's currently orthos'ing at 2.9ghz on stock voltage, no regrets!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by falqon View Post
    Waiting isn't clever, waiting is something you can do 365 days out of the year when you're buying computer parts. If you really want the best deal and the best performance for more than 2 weeks, you're never going to buy anything.
    any absolute opinion on this is stupid actually, at times it's worthy to wait, at times not.

after the price drop, the 5600+ will actually be up against 6420, and will be equally good if u dont intend to OC a lot, AMD mobo's are cheaper and make a better overall deal for non-overclockers

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I remember not too long ago when everyone was using AMD (before Conroe, BC? lol) and alot of people put down anyone using Intel because you would have to put them on water or phase and overclock them to 4-7ghz to even compete with AMD in gaming. Now it's role reversal plus people are very quick to defend their expensive rigs they just put together so they the feel like all that money is worth it. However the massive AMD price drops has started to erode that advantage depending on what you buy. For me spending an extra $200-$300 wasn't worth the extra 10-20% performance advantage (with both overclocked). Even if Intel Penryn turns out slightly faster than AMD Agena, I don't think it's going to be much faster and will likely still be very satisfied with my rig for a while. However many people are willing to spend more for a small performance advantage and get very defensive and almost offended when someone suggests in any way that said rig is not worth the extra money or that performance is really small. Sort of like telling a girl that she's not really that beautiful compared to this other girl, it's a matter of psychology.
    DistroWatch - find your flavor of Linux
    Petra's Tech Shop - for all your watercooling needs

Xtreme Mentor
    well said...
    ASUS P5K-E // E8400 Q746A519
    G.Skill F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ
    LC 550W GP// XPERTVISION 9600GT

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AzraelDarkangel View Post
    I remember not too long ago when everyone was using AMD (before Conroe, BC? lol) and alot of people put down anyone using Intel because you would have to put them on water or phase and overclock them to 4-7ghz to even compete with AMD in gaming. Now it's role reversal plus people are very quick to defend their expensive rigs they just put together so they the feel like all that money is worth it. However the massive AMD price drops has started to erode that advantage depending on what you buy. For me spending an extra $200-$300 wasn't worth the extra 10-20% performance advantage (with both overclocked). Even if Intel Penryn turns out slightly faster than AMD Agena, I don't think it's going to be much faster and will likely still be very satisfied with my rig for a while. However many people are willing to spend more for a small performance advantage and get very defensive and almost offended when someone suggests in any way that said rig is not worth the extra money or that performance is really small. Sort of like telling a girl that she's not really that beautiful compared to this other girl, it's a matter of psychology.
    price/performance is all I care about, and I believe that's the best way to select your rig, but when the price/performance figures are more or less same, u sure wanna hit the spot that gives you the performance of your choice.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MAS View Post
    20 per cent is much faster?
    If I am paying the same price, yes. Also while the best X2s seems to top out at 3.2-3.3, a lot of C2Ds hit 3.5-3.6+ so the difference is more than 20%.

Imho for an overclocker the best AMD chips are at the low end, they hit similar clockspeeds and cost a lot less. I feel the same way about the C2Ds, but their "low end" is too expensive.

I still feel that the X2 5600+ is not a great bang for buck choice for an overclocker. Either save money and get <$100 AMD chip, or get a Core2Duo. The fact of the matter is that even an E4300 is going to be faster than anything AMD has at the moment after overclocking. So either save your money, or go for the maximum performance you can get.

I do agree that AMD motherboards in general offer much better deals. I would be very happy with something like a DS3 or TForce 965 ($115,100), but their feature set is comparable to AMD boards that are significantly cheaper such as the TForce550 ($70 AR), and DFI Infinity($90). But then again if you put that extra $30 into the motherboard, and get an E4300 instead of the 6300, you still will have a system that is faster overall after overclocking.

For a non-overclocker the choice is very different. If I was building a system for someone there is no question that I would be hooking them up with a 690G motherboard and the 5600+ (or more likely something like the 5200+) over a C2D for price savings on CPU and motherboard for equivalent quality and performance.
    Last edited by funnyperson1; 04-22-2007 at 02:14 AM.
    Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P//Dell Latitude D620
    Phenom II BE 940//Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz
    2x2GB OCZ Reaper//1GB PC5400
    640GB WD Blue//80gb 7200 rpm hdd
    Radeon 4850//Geforce 7300 Go

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by funnyperson1 View Post
    If I am paying the same price, yes. Also while the best X2s seems to top out at 3.2-3.3, a lot of C2Ds hit 3.5-3.6+ so the difference is more than 20%.
    Using what cooling to hit 3.5 ghz? Unless you live in Alaska that's not cheap or easy.

Xtreme Addict
    Using what cooling to hit 3.5 ghz? Unless you live in Alaska that's not cheap or easy.
    Good aftermarket air cooler and a good cpu. Same as the X2 3.2-3.3.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    actually most new conroes don't hit those speeds now, or do but with quite high volts on the cpu. But it seems the 6320 and 6420 might change that a little.
    Rebuilding

I am Xtreme
    I haven't been following the new conroe steppings, they suck to hard to even hit 3.5? Ouch...

Go read the xbit review where a 2.4 conroe beats a 3ghz amd. That's ouchies right there.
    Phenom II 940 BE / ASUS M4A79 / HD5770 Crossfire
    3770mhz CPU 2600mhz NB | DDR1040 5-5-5-15 | 900/1250

Xtreme Member
    I am thinking in going back to AMD, have started this thread:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...6&goto=newpost

But if an allendalle at 3ghz performs much better than a X2 at the same clock then I will not do that! Even if I get a good amount of money back in that down-grade!
    Dell X300 1kg Dothan superb machine =)
    Soyo 19'' LCD.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    actually most new conroes don't hit those speeds now, or do but with quite high volts on the cpu. But it seems the 6320 and 6420 might change that a little.
    I'm saying the the two mATX abit boards with a 4300 and a 3600 both clocked at 3.0. The mb and ram are the same price. The only difference is the cost of the cpu. The 3600 is $65 and the 4300 is $120. If $55 is the reason you think AMD is a better deal then drink less cokes and eat less candy bars.
    The 4300 is faster stock or oc'ed. I didn't care if the 3600 was slower and I knew it was before I bought the hardware for the build.

Why are we saying you have to hit 3.5 on a conroe or 3.3 on a brisbane. My point is if you like AMD and do not care that it is not as fast at 3.0, get it. I just don't like guys always trying to justify getting it. I didn't like it when AMD was faster then Intel and guys would try and give some justification for having Intel.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    This is sad, lets compare an AMD cpu right after AMD cuts their prices and right before Intel cuts Core 2 Duo

Im not going to argue AMD vs Intel, but they should have been comparing Intel E6420 vs AMD 5600+

Who cares who buys what... but at least be fair.

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch...=done&nextloc=

There, 189 dollars (price drop just happend so retailers are still price gouging a bit)

vs
    http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch...iteria=BA23445
    which comes in at 10 dollars less

Within a week or so they will both be priced ~same
    CPU: Intel CORE 2 Duo E6550 @ 3.6GHz w/ 1.29vcore (517*7)
    Motherboard:
    Gigabyte P35-DQ6
    Memory:
    Crucial 8500's
    Video:
    Nvidia 8800GTX
    PSU:
    Zippy 700W (fan modded of course)

Xtreme Member
    well i would agree in terms of 2 or 3 month, as computers evolve very fast, not for 2 weeks, as i wouldn't buy a DX10 graphic card untill ATI R600 is out, i would wait 15 days for the last announced price drop to be done...

that said, it doesn't meen i don't believe some amd products are competitive
    Core i7 2700k@4,8ghz HT off- 1.41v / Gainward GTX580 GooD 850/1700/2200 / 2X4Gb G.Skill Ares 1833C9 / Z77 Sabertooth / Crucial M4 64 Gb / WD 320Gb and 640GB / Corsair H80 / Corsair 620 HX

Xtreme Member
    Round one : battle of the single cores : won by AMD (despite the crappy chipsets)

Round two : battle of the dual cores : initial advantage AMD, but Intel strikes back, C2D is king... Too late to change that...

But thanks to the performance of the X2 s939, Intel is forced to set the initial price of C2D much lower than it would do normally...
    AM2 appears an Intel is forced to keep prices even lower...
    That was great news guys, so it's imperative people keep buying AMD!
    We don't need BS arcticles to tell us that...
    tss, 2nd best AMD vs 2nd "worst" Intel at the same price, go figure...
    Best thing that could happen to us was AMD-Intel, 50%-50%, prices would be fair forever

Half a year ago, round 3 started, Intel "glued together" two C2D's (as AMD-fans like to call it) and it works great (but they run hot hot hot).
    Still waiting for Barcelona and hopefully a great chipset from AMD.
    I hope one day, we get that 50/50 win/win situation...
    Articles like the one mentioned above are not really helping, it's a pathetic story with no real winner...
    Lian-Li PC-71 : Tagan EasyCon 580 : E6600 : Coolermaster GeminII : P5K Vanilla (bios 0414) : OCZ2TA1000VX21G : Sapphire X1900XTX

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OneyedK View Post
    Round one : battle of the single cores : won by AMD (despite the crappy chipsets)

Round two : battle of the dual cores : initial advantage AMD, but Intel strikes back, C2D is king... Too late to change that...

But thanks to the performance of the X2 s939, Intel is forced to set the initial price of C2D much lower than it would do normally...
    AM2 appears an Intel is forced to keep prices even lower...
    That was great news guys, so it's imperative people keep buying AMD!
    We don't need BS arcticles to tell us that...
    tss, 2nd best AMD vs 2nd "worst" Intel at the same price, go figure...
    Best thing that could happen to us was AMD-Intel, 50%-50%, prices would be fair forever

Half a year ago, round 3 started, Intel "glued together" two C2D's (as AMD-fans like to call it) and it works great (but they run hot hot hot).
    Still waiting for Barcelona and hopefully a great chipset from AMD.
    I hope one day, we get that 50/50 win/win situation...
    Articles like the one mentioned above are not really helping, it's a pathetic story with no real winner...
    right, I would definitely want AMD sales to rise, so they have money for research, and keep the competition healthy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast